PDA

View Full Version : What to do with hair when sleeping?

agoddess2die4
April 19th, 2011, 07:52 PM
My hair is getting long, currently around bra strap length, and it's getting to the point where I would usually get irritated and chop it off to my chin because it starts getting in the way. I love the look of it long but sometimes it drives me crazy! One of the biggest problems is sleep. I've always kept it down but at this length it starts getting tangled around me while I sleep, my boyfriend or I always ends up laying on it and pulling it, and sometimes I've been known to strangle with it. lol. What's a comfortable way to keep it out of the way while I sleep? I'm a big turner and mover and sleep on all sides so I'd need something pretty secure that won't hinder movement in any direction. :confused:

Kherome
April 19th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Just braid it

Stub
April 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I am that exact same kind of sleeper and I've been putting it in a loose ponytail on top of my head for about a year. It's almost too long for that now though and I am starting to do a loose braid but I find braids hard to sleep in.

jesis
April 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM
If I'm doing anything where I think my hair will be in the way I usually braid it. It's easy and comfortable.

Joribear
April 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
My hair is about the same length as your hair and it is a very rare occasion that I don't french braid my hair before bed. I toss and turn all night long (I use up all the space in a king size bed, if that gives you an idea...) and the french braid, if done loosely, is comfortable enough that it definitely doesn't bother me for sleeping.

On the plus side, if I braid a bit tighter, the braid can tend to still be in good shape in the morning so I don't have to style it before I run off to work! :)

AmericanWoman
April 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I usually wear double braids. More comfortable than one going down the back.

Ella Menneau P.
April 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
When my hair was around BSL I started wearing a sleep cap. I heard about them here, and got one at my local Bed Bath & Beyond. My hair is tailbone, and the cap is too small and falls off in the middle of the night. :eek:

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I really can't wait until my hair is long enough to really stay in a braid. I hate having to keep my hair in ponytails and buns all the time (they fall out constantly!).

kme81
April 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
A single french braid that starts up at the top of my head has been a great help ever since I hit bsl. :D Starting up so high gives a healthy looking volume to my hair the next day.

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Whoops, accidentally hit reply before I was finished. Anywho, because I can't braid I throw it up in a high loose bun. Pieces do fall out but it's nice and comfortable when I sleep. I know my hair isn't as long as yours now but when it was long it still was comfortable.

|Xei
April 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I usually French braid mine or I'll put it into a really loose ponytail.

ibleedlipstick
April 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
A braid, done going up the back of your head instead of down, and secured with amish pins or something of the sort. It makes life sooooo much easier. I hate trapping myself on my own hair.

Slinks
April 19th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I found that my hair was breaking with it in a braid, I sleep on my back, I'm not a tosser, so I use a hair net ..

:-)

sweet&sourkiwi
April 19th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I found the most convenient style to be a super high bun, speared with a goody spin pin. It's usually tussled my morning but secure enough that I don't get strangled in my sleep, or caught up in my hair, and it stays out of my boyfriend's way while he's sleeping too.

And while I realize it isn't the sexiest style to hop in bed with your mate...it's dark while you're sleeping and your hair will have that certain vavoom when you pull out the pin in the morning. At least, mine does.

Back before I learned to sleep with my hair in a 'do, my hair had a certain, um, complete scariness to it when I woke up in the morning. Like, could not be tamed by anything but a shower. With the bun thing I can comb and go on non-wash day.

Hope that helps you resist cutting! I must say my worst morning-hair came from my short haircut...it took effort to get it to that bedhead look (shower, plenty of product, careful tousling) because the real bedhead look was, well, not appropriate for leaving the house.

Dragon
April 20th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I usually do a side plait.

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I will have to try all of these and see what works best. Thanks for the suggestions!

emmaya
April 20th, 2011, 01:33 AM
one more idea for you...I gather mine as if I were doing a ponytail, then I twist it around and around and use one of those goody ouchless flec barrettes to clip the ends on top of my head. It's flatter than a bun so it doesn't wake me up when I roll over, and I get pretty waves in the morning rather than kinks from a braid.

louisemg82
April 20th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I like to braid mine; however, my husband can still roll over and lie or pull on the braid because of the length. I'm a front/side sleeper so I like to roll the braid into a bun or fold it over to make it shorter so he can't lie on it. If you're a back sleeper then I suggest two side braids, again folded over to shorten the length.

terpentyna
April 20th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Just braid it

that exactly. :agree:

tinti
April 20th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to sleep with my APL lenght hair away from my face. What has been working the best is just tying my hair in a loose pony tail, then tying it again 2-3 inches further down and so on and so forth untill there's no more hair to tie. My hair is still too short/too slippery to sleep with a braid. But I heard, in my first time here, about a girl who invented a ponytail sleep updo thing. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? I think her username began with B or bubble or something like that.

Chetanlaiho
April 20th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I do a faux french braid ^^ (basically just an english braid but you make the three parts in a different way) Quick, easy and tangle free :)

I ussually leave the ends undone, they unravel pretty quickly so if I toss a lot I'll have to redo it but if I sleep relatively quickly I just toss the braid over my pillow and take it out in the morning ^_^

Fairlight63
April 20th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I used to sleep with my hair in a braid, but when I would wake up it would be a big mess, dry & tangled.

So I am now testing to see the difference in my hair wearing a sleep cap.
I put my hair in a knot bun loose then put on my sleep cap on. In the morning I take off the sleep cap & my hair has a nice curl in it & is not all dry & tangled. My hair feels a LOT healthier than sleeping with it in a braid, I even was sleeping on a silk pillowcase, didn't seem to matter I still had dry tangly hair & the braid would get in the way. My hair is also hard to braid, it sticks together & pulls when I try to braid it. So the sleep cap is the way to go for me.

RitaPG
April 20th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I just braid mine when it feels like that :)

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I used to sleep with my hair in a braid, but when I would wake up it would be a big mess, dry & tangled.

So I am now testing to see the difference in my hair wearing a sleep cap.
I put my hair in a knot bun loose then put on my sleep cap on. In the morning I take off the sleep cap & my hair has a nice curl in it & is not all dry & tangled. My hair feels a LOT healthier than sleeping with it in a braid, I even was sleeping on a silk pillowcase, didn't seem to matter I still had dry tangly hair & the braid would get in the way. My hair is also hard to braid, it sticks together & pulls when I try to braid it. So the sleep cap is the way to go for me.

Maybe I'll try a sleep cap, though I'm sure my boyfriend will tease me mercilessly. :) Do they cost much?

NotInPortland
April 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I usually do two simple english braids, one on each side of my head. I'm a very restless sleeper too so while my hair is always a bit messy in the mornings it is certainly much more protected than if I were to wear it loose :) I also sometimes do a sock bun right on top of my head and roll all of my hair into it, it looks absolutely ridiculous but is out of the way and never falls down..well because my hair is rolled in a sock! :)

Fairlight63
April 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
My DH laughed at mine also, he calls me Ma on Little House on the Prairie. I just laugh back & smile.

The one that I got is sold at http://www.shop.maverickwear.com/product.sc?productId=4&categoryId=7
It isn't cheap, but it stays on all night. I got the Lil Lucy. I also have the Classic Lucy but it is WAY too big for me & my hair is waist length but really thin & fine. It must be made for those with long-thick hair.

jaine
April 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I tried a bunch of different sleeping caps and liked this one the best ... it's roomy enough to fit a lot of hair. Silk charmeuse is really smooth so my hair doesn't get tangled. In the morning my hair looks so shiny after sleeping in this :)
http://prettyanntoinets.com/category_19/Solid-Charmeuse-Bonnets.htm