PDA

View Full Version : breakage question

Stub
April 19th, 2011, 05:42 PM
So I finally realized that the fuzzy halo I have always had (and hated!) is because of me putting my hair in a ponytail at about the same spot all the time for work. So I've switched to two braids. Does braiding tightly cause any damage like elastics do? Should I try to do a single braid one day, double the next? I am growing out layers so wisps come out of a single braid or even a french braid much more than with two, unless I paste it down with gel. I even paste down the crown of double braids, as I can not stand wisps in my face!
Thanks!

RitaCeleste
April 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I like barrettes. I don't have nearly the problems with hair getting tangled in them and breaking. Some people will probably say, METAL YIKES! But seriously I'm able to get them in and out without hair tangling around them like stretchy rubber bands. My sister always uses scrunchy ponytail holders to put her hair up. She says the extra cloth covering the elastic stops the hair from tangling on them and breaking.

Stub
April 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Two years ago when my hair was lots shorter I used to use like a whole package of barrettes all through it! It was cute, I had these itty bitty ponytails and sparkly little girl barrettes all over. LOL! But, I work outside, walking dogs, and barrettes would never ever stay in place. And using scrunchy ponytail holders, I have to make them so tight (again due to my job) to keep the hair in place that I get headaches. Braids seem to work great for me, I just need to know if they will cause damage like the ponytails.

RitaCeleste
April 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
No. Several older women in my family wore braids they but up in buns. When they brushed their hair out it was in great shape considering their age. They didn't make super tight braids, the braids seemed loose enough to be very flexible. The never went for blue fluff though. We use to sneak up on them when they were doing their hair to see how long it was. My aunt that danced has coarse hair and she wore it a long braid all the time and it looked good too.

jojo
April 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I think any style if done too tight will cause damage. Maybe lay off the braids for a while and go for buns, held with a stick or scrunchie?

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I like to switch around, otherwise yeah, I'll get breakage. I just can't wait for my hair to be long enough that pieces don't fall out!

danacc
April 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Braids won't cause damage. Just don't braid too tightly, as others have said. Also, be mindful to keep them from getting caught on things, or between you and the chair, and so forth.

The most damaging part for me is tying them off at the bottom. These days, I just leave them loose, and my hair will stay braided. If you need to fasten them, spidermom has posted a nice solution where she wraps a ribbon at the bottom, and then secures the elastic over the ribbon.