PDA

View Full Version : I am cutting my hair

Nyghtingale
April 19th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I have been thinking about this for about 6 months now.

My reasons: my hair is getting so much thinner on top. It really looks bad when I do have it down, which is hardy ever. And I am really wanting to get the henna out of my hair. I am planning on taking it up to chin level. That should get all the damage out too.

I will still hang out, if it's ok, so I can keep it healthy.

spidermom
April 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Wow - that's quite a change you're contemplating. I hope you enjoy it. Your reasons seem good.

Lollipop
April 19th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Of course you can hang out :grouphug:!!!!!!!

I have personally cut quite a bit of my hair several times, and it's not fun...just tales of caution. You can always cut off maybe 6' at a time since you're going for drastic, but chin doesn't leave you with a lot of options. Good luck though :cheese:!!!

jasper
April 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I got a big cut like that in 2004. I planned for it, but was still kind of a dramatic shock. Change can be good, though! Best wishes! And of course stick around here!

dragonette@1
April 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Good luck with your hair cut. Maybe start out with just a trim of three or four inches, just to get used to it slowly?

Remember, we will be here when you need hugs, or ideas for new shorter hair styles.

jojo
April 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Wow, what a huge change.

Its all about being happy and at peace; enjoy the change!

ericthegreat
April 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
That is a drastic change.

However, you have been mulling this over for half a year now, so its not a decision you have made lightly. I'm sure no matter how much you have mentally prepared yourself, it will still be a huge shock to go from nearly thigh length to just chin length. Maybe instead, you might want to cut your hair in implements, say take off 6 or even 8 inches off at first, and see how you like it. You could always cut it up even shorter later, but if you cut all the way up to chin on the first go, well then there's not much leeway room left and you might even find its too short...........and that would be worse.

agoddess2die4
April 19th, 2011, 07:58 PM
If it's in decent shape you should donate the hair to locks of love. I cut my hair to chin length every couple years impulsively and I love it and hate it. I have baby cheeks even though I'm 25 and it emphasizes it and makes me look like a teenager. Not to mention having to actually style it everyday because I can't throw it up in a cute messy bun anymore and I don't like extra effort. lol. But it's so healthy and shiny and soft and, with the right angles, can be cute, sexy, or professional. Good luck with your choice! It was be a heck of a change!!

summerjade
April 19th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Wow!! Hope you enjoy your new hairdo!!

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Wow! I hope you enjoy your new hair!

Olivia23
April 19th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Have you thought about cutting to bsl or shoulder then cutting layers? Just a thought. I layered my hair about two weeks ago and love it better than when it was close to one length. Take pictures to show us with whatever you decide. Good luck!

SpeakingEZ
April 19th, 2011, 09:50 PM
If it's in decent shape you should donate the hair to locks of love.

Her hair is hennaed. LoL will just throw it away.

I'm another vote for a smaller cut first, then cutting more if you still think it's a good idea. If you've been on LHC for almost 3 years now, it's hard to believe that everything past your shoulders is damaged. . . . I think BSL would look really nice with your figure.

But, whatever you choose to do, we'll support you. It's your hair and we want you to like it. Make sure to post pictures after it's done!

christine1989
April 19th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Wow, that is going to be a big change! I hope you enjoy your short haircut as much as I have enjoyed all of mine! ;)

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Her hair is hennaed. LoL will just throw it away.

I'm another vote for a smaller cut first, then cutting more if you still think it's a good idea. If you've been on LHC for almost 3 years now, it's hard to believe that everything past your shoulders is damaged. . . . I think BSL would look really nice with your figure.

But, whatever you choose to do, we'll support you. It's your hair and we want you to like it. Make sure to post pictures after it's done!

I know they accept colored hair that's in good shape, but not bleached hair. Wouldn't henna be considered more like dye?

Dragon
April 20th, 2011, 12:57 AM
That’s a huge change. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Phexlyn
April 20th, 2011, 01:03 AM
That's a huge cut, but since you've been thinking about it for so long, I'm sure you know what you're doing. I'd probably still miss the hair, no matter how much I'd want it off, but I really hope you'll be happy with your new length! :flower:

MonaLisa
April 20th, 2011, 01:09 AM
That's very brave!

One part of me tells you good luck and enjoy it! I wish i was so brave, I'm dying to try short hair someday! It will be fun and will grow back!:)

Now, other part is really sad...you have such beautiful hair! Just checked your pictures! Please don't cut it so much :(
You can try some waist length maybe with layers. It will make it lighter, different, also remove much damage, and still long and easier to grow back!

You do want it long again right?

Avital88
April 20th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Are you sure you are not gonna regret this? Its a really big change and i remember myself doing that and i regretted it for years! So please be really sure about it!

Loreley
April 20th, 2011, 02:15 AM
That's a huge change. Good luck! I hope you will be happy with your new cut! :blossom:

Cupofmilk
April 20th, 2011, 02:20 AM
That is a drastic change.

However, you have been mulling this over for half a year now, so its not a decision you have made lightly. I'm sure no matter how much you have mentally prepared yourself, it will still be a huge shock to go from nearly thigh length to just chin length. Maybe instead, you might want to cut your hair in implements, say take off 6 or even 8 inches off at first, and see how you like it. You could always cut it up even shorter later, but if you cut all the way up to chin on the first go, well then there's not much leeway room left and you might even find its too short...........and that would be worse.

I always find Eric's advice very wise. I speak from the experience of a 12-18 inch chop in December 2009. From TB ish to BSL. I can honestly say I was lukcy I was not thinking about hair at the time as I had a sick child. It hit me about 5 months later.
I wish I had cut back to waist first and then seen how I felt. I wonder if you could cut as Eric suggests 6-8 inches or if you want to be drastic - to waist (which is still long). Leave it at the first length for a week or fortnight, see how you cope and then if you want more cut off - do it then, wait another couple of weeks and so on.

louisemg82
April 20th, 2011, 02:25 AM
You've clearly thought it through and I'm sure you'll love how it feels afterwards. Definitely stick around! I agree that you should consider donating your hair though, not letting the salon keep it and sell it to unscrupilous extension companies (I've heard this happens).
We have a charity in England that uses donated hair to make wigs for children who have gone bald through cancer treatments and I'm sure you'll have something like that near you.
Good luck for the big chop xx

Sweetie
April 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
wow, you're quite brave!!!!
I hope you enjoy your new lenght, but maybe I'd try a few inches before chopping it all....I would never have that courage - and I'm only a BSL!
let us know how it goes!

RitaPG
April 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I was actually contemplating your length just a few days ago. It looks lovely. And of course you can still hang out! :grouphug:
Eric has a point, that seems like a really dramatic change. Maybe try to explore and cut it bit by bit, instead of one major chop?
I'd love to see pictures of the new haircut, though, I'm sure it will look just as lovely, whatever length you decide to go to :)

share801
April 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Wow, that's a change. I don't think I'd have the courage to do it in one shot. But of course you are still welcome - we are all about healthy hair that makes you happy around here.

gibsongirl71
April 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I had a big chop April 2010. Chin length. I was able to get rid of all the highlights and henna. I can now at least wear my hair up again, so it will grow back. I get lots of compliments now on my shine and natural color. I guess you have to weigh the options. Do you want all healthy hair at once or do you want semi long 2 toned hair if you cut off a 6 inch amount. Or leave it as is. My hair was no where near as long as yours when I chopped it. I had just reached APL barely. Good luck what ever you decide!

wavyR
April 20th, 2011, 02:36 PM
i cut from waist length to chin length a couple of years ago. i was happy with it at the time. however, it took a lot more maintenance since i had to wear it down all the time. just something to consider. good luck with whatever you.

growingpains
April 20th, 2011, 02:48 PM
That's a lot of hair!! I hope you are happy with the new cut. Like others I wonder if you may want to try BSL first, then impose the two week rule and depending how you feel then go shorter?

Or maybe even APL?

The reason I say this is if you change your mind afterwards and want long hair again, it's one hellova long journey from chin to long. Whereas APL or BSL can turn into WL or longer in a year or so.

Roseate
April 20th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I know they accept colored hair that's in good shape, but not bleached hair. Wouldn't henna be considered more like dye?

No, because henna cannot be removed from the hair, so they can't dye the hennaed hair to match the other hair in a wig. Henna is just too permanent for their purposes.

And OP, enjoy! I went hip-to-chin before joining LHC, and didn't regret it. I was ready for a change, sounds like you are too.

(Though I must admit, the gradual cuts people are describing sound good too; maybe the next time I'm ready for a chop I'll cut it one landmark at a time: so from hip I'd go waist, BSL, APL, shoulder, then chin! It'll be like growing in reverse. Could be fun.)

SpeakingEZ
April 20th, 2011, 03:56 PM

No, because henna cannot be removed from the hair, so they can't dye the hennaed hair to match the other hair in a wig. Henna is just too permanent for their purposes.

I'm also thinking the OP's hair is two-toned in the length. Also, it's very difficult to match hennaed hair to other donations because it always results in a unique shade of red.

PolythenePam
April 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I have been thinking about this for about 6 months now.

My reasons: my hair is getting so much thinner on top. It really looks bad when I do have it down, which is hardy ever. And I am really wanting to get the henna out of my hair. I am planning on taking it up to chin level. That should get all the damage out too.

I will still hang out, if it's ok, so I can keep it healthy.

Do you know why your hair is thinning on top? Do you think the weight and length have something to do with it-or is it something else?

You'll be able able to rock whatever style you decide to go with;)

long&blonde
April 20th, 2011, 07:00 PM
You have been thinking about it for quite awhile..I do like the "little at a time" suggestions, but "Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!" Good Luck whatever you decide, & do hope you still stick around this site! It is such a sweet group. I definitely find myself running to get on here after a bad day.

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM

I'm also thinking the OP's hair is two-toned in the length. Also, it's very difficult to match hennaed hair to other donations because it always results in a unique shade of red.

Ahhh, did not know that. That really sucks. Don't know much about henna other than it's healthier alternative to chemical dyes so I thought it might be easier to work with. :(

blondecat
April 21st, 2011, 04:12 AM
You'll look fabulous whatever you do and you are always welcome here <<<HUGS>>>> from another 'thin hair' girl. I really need to change my avitar

Nyghtingale
April 21st, 2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks for all the support. I did have it cut last night. And I love it. Looks so much thicker, and lots of body. I will post some new pics soon. I did cry for about a minute, but it passed quickly. :)

MonaLisa
April 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM
Are you going to grow it long again?

It's a relief that you are happy with it..

I'm not tho :P

WaitingSoLong
April 21st, 2011, 06:07 AM
Are you going to grow it long again?

I was going to ask if you intend to grow it again, too.

Did you braid and keep the length? That is what I intend to do if I ever go through with a big cut.

I would LOVE to see pictures :)

Slinks
April 21st, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the support. I did have it cut last night. And I love it. Looks so much thicker, and lots of body. I will post some new pics soon. I did cry for about a minute, but it passed quickly. :)
can't wait to see pics .. will you start a new thread ?? glad you're happy after a moment of unsureness .. lol .. that was bound to happen ..

RitaPG
April 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM

I'm happy for you :) Can't wait to see pics of the new hair.

HintOfMint
April 21st, 2011, 07:42 PM

Congrats! I'm glad it looks nice.

Dragon
April 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM
I am glad you are happy with it :)

CaityBear
April 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM
I'm glad you like it. :) Can't wait to see pictures.

When I cut my hair (whenever I feel like it) I will also be cutting off all the henna and I want to go chin length. But I've had chin length before and loved it.

ericthegreat
April 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM

As long as you're happy with it, I'm happy with it. :) Now post those new pics, we can't wait to see!!!

jojo
April 22nd, 2011, 12:56 AM
Happy your pleased with your new style, can't wait to see the photos.

vanity_acefake
April 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
So glad you like your new style.
Can't wait to see the pictures.

delsh
April 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'm so glad you're happy with it! I love to get new, drastic haircuts as well, and that shock of "oh no, my hair!" definitely fades for me as well. After a few minutes I'm in love with my new cut. I'm sure it looks lovely :flowers:

Debra83
April 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM
:knit::drama::knit: Glad it turned out for you.....waiting for those pics!!!! :D

jojo
April 24th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Debra83 pass the popcorn..................:drama: thanks...........knit one:knit:.....................pearl one.....................:knitfrog:.......I don't think she is gonna post photos anytime soon.......:shake: ............:drama:

smileycat
April 24th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Waiting for photos, too! I wore my hair between chin and shoulder for two decades. It is a style I love and will still come back to later, I am sure. Hope you enjoy!

Slinks
April 24th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Debra83 pass the popcorn..................:drama: thanks...........knit one:knit:.....................pearl one.....................:knitfrog:.......I don't think she is gonna post photos anytime soon.......:shake: ............:drama:

:lol: :lol: :D too funny !!

Nyghtingale
April 25th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Sorry that took so long, lol
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab84/Lynnfamily/kya.jpg

RitaPG
April 25th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Your hair definitely seems fuller now. I'm glad you're happy with it :)

vanity_acefake
April 25th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Your hair looks fantastic. Such a beautiful colour.
And your dog is super cute.

mrs_coffee
April 25th, 2011, 05:05 PM
That's pretty, and it does look thick and healthy. I'm glad you're pleased with how it turned out.

Speckla
April 25th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I look very healthy and it's a fun length because you can wear it down or do funky updos and braids!!

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
It looks really full and healthy, love the cute doggie too!

RecklessCharlie
April 25th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Your new cut looks wonderful! Love the colour and that style really suits you. I'm glad you're pleased with it! Sometimes its just time for a change :)

Mrspuddinhead
April 25th, 2011, 09:00 PM
That is quite a change. I'm glad to see that you have taken the time to think about it seeing that it will be a big change. Best of luck to you. Either way I'm sure your hair will look beautiful.

WaitingSoLong
April 26th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Looks great! I am actually quite envious! But too chicken to join you ;)

Mrspuddinhead
May 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
Your hair looks beautiful and your puppy dog is precious. I loved having chin length hair. It was much easier to take cake of not to mention much cooler during the summer months. I would eventually cut my hair short but I have a husband who disagrees and adores my long hair. Picture of chin length posted below.

http://i51.tinypic.com/28gw007.jpg

Firefly
May 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think it looks very pretty! I really like the chin-length bob; it's a style I've gone back to from time to time as well.

dragonchickx
May 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
cutting it my not be a resolution for it being thin at the top... Hmm but if you are wanting it to grow more even take 6 inches off and than in a year it will be back, but good luck with what you decide!I go through different periods of losing what seems to be a lot of hair and 3 months later there is practically not much difference, the little hairs are annoying though.