PDA

View Full Version : Rough, sticky ends...

Anje
June 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
The last week or two, I've noticed that the last inch or two of my hair has felt a little "sticky" when I run my fingers over it. It may be slightly tangly-er but not much, and I have no splits in the last few inches of hair (they're all higher up!).

The thing is, I shampooed twice about two weeks ago to clarify because I noticed this, yet it hasn't gone away. That was with a White Rain shampoo with ALES and ALS. I've COed maybe 3 times since then.

Changes to the routine have been minimal. A few months ago I started using VO5, having found it for $0.67 a bottle and stocked up. I'm using that champagne strawberry stuff right now, which has a little silk protein in it, whereas I don't think my old Suave stuff had any protein.

Could this be protein build-up? Or something else? Any suggestions for how to get rid of it?

chrissy-b
June 15th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'm sorry this is happening, but I have no idea what it could be. I've heard that sometimes w/o enough protein hair can turn somewhat gummy and/or stringy but I've never heard sticky.

Maybe it's a different ingredient in the VO5 that you're not used to since it seems that the conditioner is the only significant change in your routine. Or maybe you hair dislikes the silk protein where other types of protein are ok.

I hope you figure it out, or that someone else has better advice than me.

Finoriel
June 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I have no idea about the weather or humidity in Indiana the last weeks...
But I know that silk-protein can build up on the hair and especially clings to the rougher-older parts of it. Which could be the reason for the weird stickiness only in the last centimeters. Shampooing could get the build up out of your length but was not effective enough to remove it from the last inches. In combination with high humidity or rainy weather those residues can feel sticky, after all they are not only coating, they are humectant as well and happily take up humidity from the air if there is enough.
What about your brush (if you use one)? Usually you can see more lint and weird grey stuff in it, when there is some sort of build up going on.
Protein in general is not really bad per se, but especially the higher processed ones like hydrolysed silk or wheat protein used in cosmetics tend to cling more to the hair shaft than not processed proteins would do.

aisling
June 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Do you think the ALES and ALS shampoo is enough to really clarify? I'm not sure of this. You won't loose a thing by getting a clarifying shampoo and wash with that, something with really harsh sulphates.

Anje
June 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Finoriel, it's been quite warm and humid here, and raining a lot. There's been considerable flooding in regions not far from me, though I just notice that the local river is a bit high and muddy. So it could definitely be humectant properties of some extra-sticky silk protein that won't come off. I haven't noticed more gunk on my brush or comb, and lint seems to be more a function of having oiled my hair and living around cats.

I was under the impression that ALS was comparable harshness to SLS, but I'll pick up a fresh bottle of clarifying shampoo (the existing one is at least 3-4 years old). And maybe try to pass off the protein conditioner to DH.

lora410
June 16th, 2008, 06:48 AM
From what I have read hair gets gummy if it needs protien. I would give that a shot, and if that doesn't help then try a claify on just the ends.

Curlsgirl
June 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
If I were you I would just put about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in about three times that much shampoo and just wash the ends with that. That should take care of it if it's buildup. Just make sure you moisturize after.

missy60
June 16th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Sometimes one shampoo isnt enough to get the build up off. I used shampoo bars for a few washes and I had to shampoo about three times to return my hair back to normal the gummy waxy feeling just wouldnt go away. I would also do a full undiluted wash making sure to get the shampoo to the ends.

Blueglass
June 16th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Have you been useing honey? Its hard to wash out. Sometimes too much backing soda is hard on ends. Prehaps an SD or slight trim if it's a splits problem.

Iylivarae
June 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I get that too, if I don't clarify or if my ends are too dry.

Anje
June 17th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Well, I clarified (old diluted clarifying shampoo + baking soda), which smelled awful. Reminiscent of perms, actually, which frightened me a bit. Rinsed with dilute vinegar afterward to see if the cuticle would seal up a little, then slathered on an SMT.

Result: my hair is super-slippery (as it always is post-shampoo) and clean, but the ends still feel "off." I'm sure they don't lack protein, and other than the occasional SMT I don't use honey, so I doubt either is the cause.

I wet them down and smeared olive oil on them, for now, in hopes of softening and smoothing them a bit, but it probably won't do much. I normally oil them.

Any other ideas?

spidermom
June 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I wonder if it could be damage. Have you trimmed? In the past my ends have taken on a Velcro texture, which could be described as "sticky". They would cling/matt together and resist all efforts to comb; it was a nightmare. I had to have them cut off.

missy60
June 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
It could be the VO5 did you also use that in your SMT also? I would try another conditioner it maybe doesnt agree with your hair. Thats the only thing I can think of since its the only thing you have changed in your routine. My hair doesnt really get splits but the ends do get a lot of tangles and sort of glue together when I need a trim.

I would do a heavy overnight oiling on my ends wetting them first and literally dipping them in the oil and squeeze out. I would then bun your hair up for the night and wash out with a different conditioner.

Anje
June 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Used a different conditioner for the SMT. I trimmed my ends about 0.5 inches just a few weeks ago, and they don't look damaged to me. For the most part the ends are straight (not kinked), and they aren't split. I've got my share of splits further up in my hair, but the ends look OK.

Maybe my hair has changed its mind about liking oil?

Finoriel
June 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Hair? Not liking oil? *gasp* :wacko: is it allowed to use that words in one sentence?

Is your hair feeling "off" in the same sticky way as before or is it feeling off in another way? Iīll not begin to ramble against BS again :gabigrin: not this time at least, but in combination with shampoo there could go on quite some interesting chemical reactions... as the smell proofed. Which are most likely not improving weird feeling ends.
How diluted was the vinegar rinse afterwards? Maybe it was not strong enough to smoothen the cuticle... you could just try to dip your braid tassel into a cup with a stronger mixture, let it sit a minute and rinse with plain water. If itīs just the cuticle standing up this should smooth things down again.
But itīs really hard to say whatīs going on from so far away. You do not have, by any chance, a microscope to examine your hair with? Build up or other hair problems are good to see with them and it would make clear if it is damage or build up or :wink: the bad weather fairys.

chloeishere
June 17th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know what's up with your ends (which is why I haven't posted...), but I remember one time, I mixed a shampoo that had ALS (It was Tresemme something-or-another-- I was using my mom's shampoo) with some baking soda, and it smelled like ammonia after a minute. It was awful! I resolved not to do that combination again. It didn't appear to do anything bad to my hair, but I rinsed it out as soon as it started smelling... blargh!

My ends hate SMT, for what it's worth. If they've worked for you in the past though, that really doesn't make sense, though.

Although, my hair now hates mayo treatments, and it used to love them! :confused:

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 04:38 PM
It could be that the ends are still a bit dry from the BS. I have always had success except that it takes my ends a few conditionings to recover. In MY experience the smell is from old chemical coatings on the hair (haircolor or whatever) and the BS stripping it off. Missy suggested what I do too, maybe braid the tassle and soak with water and dip in coconut oil, press out the drips and leave overnight. If that doesn't work, I would agree maybe a trim is in order, maybe you could just start with a small one?

Kirin
June 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Adding in my two cents. My ends always get gummy/weird after a V05 conditioner that contains protein (or any conditioner with protein for that matter). The new item in question is your conditioner.

If its the protein in the conditioner making them wonky, it can take a week to two weeks of your usual routine but devoid of protein to restore your hair. Extra protein-less moisture on the ends during that time will speed up the process.

Anje
June 17th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Well, the problem was pre-BS, and this is the first time I've ever used it on my hair. Don't think I'll be mixing it with an ALS shampoo again, though! Kirin: I'm also thinking it might just be that they're ODed on protein -- thanks for the time frame for recovery, since I haven't been sure how long it should take.

I don't really want to trim again. I just trimmed about 2 weeks ago, thinking that it might fix this, but it didn't.

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Sorry Anje, I have done that with great results. I do follow with lots of moisture and oil though to get it back to normal. I hope you find the answer! Didn't mean to lead you astray! Oh and I missed where you had already had a trim too. OOps!

Cinnamon.locks
June 18th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hi Anje, I had the same problem with my ends when i used a product with certain proteins, changed products to Suave humectant and use IC olive oil on ends and that has worked to deal with the sticky, rough ends very well. I guess your hair does not like certain proteins? is the rest of your hair feeling rougher or behaving different since you changed to V05? Tangles? looking a bit more damaged? as i said before, it happened to me and i changed Condish. after 5 CO's my hair looked and behaved like before. try a change for a super humectant condish and see if it makes a difference. HTH.

Fillette
June 18th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have to agree that your conditioner is probably the problem. I had a similar experience after using Vo5 conditioner... I hate to sound like I am giving bad publicity to their line of products... I know some people here love Vo5 conditioners. But the fact is that they don't seem to work so well for certain people... like me.

BTW- you may not get immediate results after switching your conditioner. Be patient. It took me a little while for my hair to adjust back.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Anje
June 26th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Just an update: I'm officially blaming the VO5 for the whole ordeal. An SMT and a few CO washes later (with my protein-free Suave) and the ends are feeling like normal hair again.

So now I have a bunch of VO5 sitting around. Unless there's an LHCer in the area who wants them, I may just donate them to the naturist club I belong to.

jojo
June 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I second the recomendation of a trim, I had this too and trimmed and voila! soft, lovely ends again!

levelek
June 26th, 2008, 04:49 PM
[snip] I remember one time, I mixed a shampoo that had ALS (It was Tresemme something-or-another-- I was using my mom's shampoo) with some baking soda, and it smelled like ammonia after a minute. It was awful! I resolved not to do that combination again. It didn't appear to do anything bad to my hair, but I rinsed it out as soon as it started smelling... blargh![snip]

Yep, I did the exact same thing last week. It was too early in the morning to think though so I just continued to wash my hair with it :)

Glad that you got this resolved, Anje!

Gladtobemom
June 26th, 2008, 05:24 PM
VO5 champagne strawberry has a ton of protein.
My ends get crunchy with it after about 6 times.
(A shame because I love the smell.)

Have you tried the Chamomile Tea Therapy? I get much better results in the long run.

And if you need more emmollient (for low bucks) you could try the Suave Naturals Coconut.

Another solution, I use VO5 KLS as my cleansing condish starting on dry hair, then I don't seem to get protein problems.