PDA

View Full Version : help choosing a comb...

bella77
April 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I am looking for a seamless comb, it does not need to be wood, can be bone or other, but it must be able to be used on wet or dry hair. I also do not want to have to spend 50 dollars or more. Please suggest for me, oh long hair guru's!

If it helps, I have extremely fine and thin hair. I have a tangle teezer, which I am not sure if I like yet, I prefer a comb. But I do want a good comb, something that will make a difference in my hair. I am currently using a plastic wide tooth detangling comb of which I have sanded down the seams on the teeth a bit, but I really want to try a seamless one. Thanks in advance ladies and gents!:D

Lamb
April 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
These are reported to be very good:
http://www.hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm

I have one of their wide-tined detangling combs, but they have all kinds - check them out!

bella77
April 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
thank you Lamb, off to check it out!!

wavykisses
April 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
fine, thin haired person here :eyebrows:
and I love my wooden comb from the body shop:cheese:.

I recently bought a bone comb from quecraft, which I like very much, but my personal favorite and the one I use most of the time is my body shop wood comb.

ladyfey
April 19th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I love my Mason Pearson seamless plastic comb. I don't remember it being expensive and I've been using it for years. I tried a wood comb for a while one, but it over time got little splinters from being used wet and was really snagging on my hair.

Fingolphin
April 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I know I have said it many times, and many others have as well, but I swear by my Body Shop wooden detangling comb, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the best! :)

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/hair-care-products/hair-brush/detangling-comb.aspx

bella77
April 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
fine, thin haired person here :eyebrows:
and I love my wooden comb from the body shop:cheese:.

I recently bought a bone comb from quecraft, which I like very much, but my personal favorite and the one I use most of the time is my body shop wood comb.
I looked at that one, someone suggested not using it on wet hair, have you used it on wet and dry hair?

Fingolphin
April 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I looked at that one, someone suggested not using it on wet hair, have you used it on wet and dry hair?

I have fine-ish hair, and it works just fine wet, as long as you are careful with it.

bella77
April 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I have fine-ish hair, and it works just fine wet, as long as you are careful with it.
Thank you! I have a body shop about 20 minutes from me, I may pay them a visit later on!!!

slythwolf
April 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I am really happy with my horn comb from mehandi.com. I don't really use it on wet hair, but that's because my hair doesn't like being combed while wet. The comb itself wouldn't mind it.

DoubleCrowned
April 19th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Those are interesting websites, and I enjoyed looking at the combs, however, I did not see any guidance on them about how to choose a comb for long, fine hair. Is there a post here, or anyone who would care to instruct?

meowmeow
April 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Those are interesting websites, and I enjoyed looking at the combs, however, I did not see any guidance on them about how to choose a comb for long, fine hair. Is there a post here, or anyone who would care to instruct?

I think the type of comb you choose to buy is based on personal preference. The rule of thumb most people follow is use a wide tooth comb for detangling (that seems to be the standard over all hair types).

I like to use a comb with a handle and with medium spaced teeth personally (I use a Mason Pearson model C2), because I like detangling with something with a handle.

I think medium to large toothed combs are good choices for detangling, but the shape of the comb is up to you. :)

EdG
April 19th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I recommend the Creative 8L. I posted a blog entry about it here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=74630

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3293&pictureid=78122

Top-to-bottom: Creative 8L, Body Shop wooden comb, and Creative 5

Ed

Fadedbluedreams
April 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I own a wide tooth seamless comb from hairsense.com and I also own a wide toothed mason pearson plastic comb AND it just so happens that I have fine, thin hair. I love the mason pearson better, I think because the edges are rounder and in my opinion the quality is a bit better. I've used both of them on wet hair. When I ordered my comb from hairsense.com, I actually ordered two different styles and one of them came splintered. The other one, however, is still holding up over two years later. I'd recommend the mason pearson for you, because it is seamless, very smooth and the edges are rounded, so it's gentle on the scalp. :) Hope that helps.

monsterna
April 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I use a Speert comb (number 4 on this site). You can also buy just straight from their website, but this is the one I bought from. Wet or dry hair, it's been awesome for me.

http://uncommonscents.com/Speert-International-s/105.htm

bella77
April 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
thanks everyone for so many recommendations. It is so hard to choose one.