PDA

View Full Version : Scared by my own hair!

Rebecca.1905
April 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Pretty embarrassing, but I figured some of you guys could relate. Maybe.

I was just sitting here at my desk, doing my thing, when all of a sudden I felt something crawling on my lower arm.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH SPIIIIIIIDER!!

I jumped about 10 ft out of my chair, furiously shaking my arm. *whew* All gone, all's well with the world.

Until I felt it again a minute later. This time, I kept my cool and actually *looked* at my arm. I had no idea my hair was remotely long enough yet to crawl across my arm like that! Once I finished laughing, I just knew I had to share that with you all!

This has happened to others here, right??

sibiryachka
April 19th, 2011, 11:27 AM
All. The. Time. :rolleyes: For me the worst ones are the ones that get caught in my bra strap, then dangle down my torso. Bug in my shirt! Aaarrggghhh!!

spidermom
April 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
One time I felt a tickle at my calf and reached to remove the shed hair, except I felt a pull. It seemed to be attached to my head, and I freaked out for a moment wondering how the heck one hair got that long while the rest was about waist length. Turns out a shed hair was knotted to the bottom of a still-attached hair. I had quite a good laugh at myself.

My husband thought one of my shed hairs was a spider on his arm once. He was in his work van, where I never go, so I guess he carried it with him.

Maelyssa
April 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Actually this just happened to me two nights ago. Normally I wear my hair up in a bun to sleep but I let it down for the night. I woke up out of a dead sleep trying to kill the think crawling on my arm only to discover it was a single strand of hair.

Wanderer09
April 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
*giggle* You're not alone! It's happened way more times than I can count. :p

Loepsie
April 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Happened to me on the bike today. I suddenly felt someting on my chest and thought a bug had splashed onto it, but it was just hair. Nearly got a heart attack there xD

Rebecca.1905
April 19th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I *knew* you all would have stories! Giggling quite a bit over here!

ibleedlipstick
April 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I do the same thing! Especially after I have washed my hair and then gotten dressed. There is always one hair that hides out with my bra, and makes me twitch out of spider-fear.

Unfortunately, you eventually become desensitized and end up NOT freaking out when there is an actual spider on your arm. (Until you notice it, and then you may or may not end up using your wallet to remove it from your arm and then throwing your wallet down the Target aisle and jumping backwards while whimpering. Not that I have any personal experience in this.... :run:)

Yozhik
April 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I've actually had the opposite happen to me -- when I was a girl, my mother would sit me in front of the vanity and brush my hair for me. Once I reached down to brush away what I thought was a loose hair, but it was a cockroach on my leg! :scared:

EricaLee83
April 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I *knew* you all would have stories! Giggling quite a bit over here!

I'm giggling too, thanks for the laughs I really needed them right now!

littlenvy
April 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Oh goodness! The worse ones are in the shower when the hair is traveling down your leg :rolleyes: or the ones that get inside your underwear.
:o or your DH's underwear and then he goes on and on and on about and how hard it was to pull it out.

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 12:44 PM
My hair currently is too short to bother my arms, but when I was a teen, I was scared all the time by my hair. It's normal, and amusing. And it gets you to laugh at yourself. :)

saera
April 19th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Lol, that's like me when a hair strand is on my neck or chest.

rena
April 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Lol, yes, my hair has been known to impersonate a creepy crawly and consequently freak me out :D.

But seriously, before I started taking care of my hair...

I was sitting at my desk one day, when I see this tiny ball of legs coming down on a single strand of web...from out of my hair.

The rest is history. :O

Izae
April 19th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Lol, yes, my hair has been known to impersonate a creepy crawly and consequently freak me out :D.

But seriously, before I started taking care of my hair...

I was sitting at my desk one day, when I see this tiny ball of legs coming down on a single strand of web...from out of my hair.

The rest is history. :O

Ohhh...I've had spiders in my hair too. Not a great experience.
Fortunately they're always really teensy ones. :)
Some of the ones round here are huge, and real fast as well.
I'm praying one of those never ends up in my hair, or anywhere near me in fact. :pray:

ericthegreat
April 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I've actually had the opposite happen to me -- when I was a girl, my mother would sit me in front of the vanity and brush my hair for me. Once I reached down to brush away what I thought was a loose hair, but it was a cockroach on my leg! :scared:

EEEK! :scared:

I've had both instances happen to me. I've been freaked out by what I thought was an insect crawling on my arm or inside my shirt, when it was really a section of my hair touching my elbow or tucked into my shirt. And there were also times when I dismissed an itching or crawling feeling on my body as just my hair, when it really was fly or worse, a mosquito! :scared:

agoddess2die4
April 19th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Oh goodness! The worse ones are in the shower when the hair is traveling down your leg :rolleyes: or the ones that get inside your underwear.
:o or your DH's underwear and then he goes on and on and on about and how hard it was to pull it out.

Oh gosh, my boyfriend is always complaining about my hair getting in his boxers and getting wrapped around...things. lol (TMI I know)

But I always get soooo freaked out by my hair touching me. Especially since I usually just mousse and scrunch and don't brush it out everyday so I get shed hairs caught in there and they hang lower and make me completely spaz out. hahaha

Avital88
April 19th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Haaaahaaaa this happens to me daily! The longer it grows the more spiders there are :p

Pantha
April 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Your definatly not alone, It happens to me quite a lot, and then pulling what you think is a stray hair and it being attached ouch.

Tefnut
April 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM
i've done that in bed with my hand over my face, thought my hand was a huge spider....major doh!

Ishje
April 19th, 2011, 02:32 PM
this is a fun topic XD I am glad I am not the only one who runs around the house screaming because I think there is a spider on my arms or even on my lower back.
since my hair has gotten long enough to reach my butt, when I wear pants and a top, sometimes there is skin between the top and pants and when my hair hits that I usually think it is a spider.

when I was a lot younger I walked up the stairs, and something tickled my leg all the time, I thought it was a hair, so I tried to get rid of it. but it would not go away, in fact, it was travelling upwards.
when I finally looked down it was a huge spider XD I never went up the stairs so quickly and so loud before (and after) XD

Aliped
April 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
All. The. Time. :rolleyes:
Same here!!

Prelude
April 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I can't count the number of times this has happened to me. Happens to people I sit beside too. My sister hates it. :P

terpentyna
April 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Since I had these "scares" quite often, I once assumed that a centipede was my hair and just gently swiped it off my face... But then it crawled back onto my forehead, more quickly to compensate for the "swiping" I guess.

I know someone is feeling this as they read it.

dollface
April 19th, 2011, 06:40 PM
ha ha ha ha this thread has creeped me out! i have also been known to do the "spider dance" when it was just my hair.

jackiesjottings
April 20th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I've had the opposite happen too. Sitting up in bed reading, I felt a tickle on my shoulder and assumed it was my hair. Turned and looked and there was a large spider sat on my shoulder. I screamed, and I went one way and the spider another way! Then i spent the rest of the night worrying that it was still on the loose somewhere....

I do find stray hairs in the oddest places though.

Johanna
April 20th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I usually have my freak outs in the shower. I only wet my hair every three days or longer, so I don't feel my hair go down my back very often. When it starts reaching new places I freak out a bit.

DTsgirl
April 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Now I can feel spiders crawling up my arms, over my scalp, up my legs, on the back of my neck . . . . . .

cupcake0619
April 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
bahaha i like this thread.
i am VERY afraid of spiders and bugs and creepy crawly things and have deff had a hair touch the back of my arm and scream and run until i realize it was just my hair, actually today i have this like on one shoulder off the other shoulder sweater thing on and its a little loose and my hair fell into the back of it and tickled my back and freaked me out! lol

GRU
April 21st, 2011, 07:11 PM
My hair has never been this long in my entire life, and with my curl pattern, hairs that are around waist level when dry extend halfway down my "vertical smile" when straightened... like in the shower.... when you're all alone in the house.... naked.... vulnerable.... and you feel "someone" touch your bare ass in the shower! :blueeek:

After the first time this happened to me, I was showing a friend who is my "surrogate mom" how long my hair really is by pulling it straight. Then I related the shower scene story to her, complete with me twirling around showing her how I was trying desperately to see who was behind me in the shower. :rolleyes:

Now my "mom" asks me regularly if anyone has been grabbing my butt in the shower lately. :lol:

CurlAhead
April 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
My hair has never been this long in my entire life, and with my curl pattern, hairs that are around waist level when dry extend halfway down my "vertical smile" when straightened... like in the shower.... when you're all alone in the house.... naked.... vulnerable.... and you feel "someone" touch your bare ass in the shower! :blueeek:

After the first time this happened to me, I was showing a friend who is my "surrogate mom" how long my hair really is by pulling it straight. Then I related the shower scene story to her, complete with me twirling around showing her how I was trying desperately to see who was behind me in the shower. :rolleyes:

Now my "mom" asks me regularly if anyone has been grabbing my butt in the shower lately. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

TheMgracie
April 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
This happend to me just the other day! I was chatting with a friend before a class when I flipped out because I felt something crawl across the back of my neck. It was just my sloppy bun slowly coming undone. I think she thought I was going insane.

lyria
April 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM
Once I was lying in bed and freaked out because there was a mouse next to me on the pillow! My first reaction was to grab it and throw it away from me... when it landed right back where it was, I realized it was the end of my braid... genius!

Amraann
April 21st, 2011, 09:19 PM
I was just talking to my sister about this the other dqy! The worst is when the long hair tangles in your shorts.
SO there you are at the grocery store with a stray hair tickling your thigh.
Not exactly lady like to reach down an remove said hair.

christine1989
April 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
I had an experience like this today in the car. I felt something crawling on my neck so I slapped it but it was just a chunk of hair that fell out of my updo :laugh:.

txhedgehog
April 21st, 2011, 11:27 PM
This happens to me pretty often.

My hair also scared me one day when I was wearing it down out of the shower and caught sight of myself in the mirror. I had just seen The Ring and screamed bloody murder for the second it took to recognize my own reflection.

Debra83
April 21st, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hilarious!!!! I've had the thought it was a spider thing but it was my hair....I pray I never get the thought it was my hair thing but it was a spider thing....shiver....now I have creepy crawlies feelings everywhere.