PDA

View Full Version : My scalp is sore and hurts!

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I feel like I am bothering with all my hair problems, but I can't help it! :p
However, the "upper" part of my scalp is "sore" and it hurts, compared to the rest of the scalp. I can pull the hair very "loosely" and it still hurts, when I can pull my hair hard on the rest of the scalp and barely feel it!! :confused::(
Also, the part where it hurts is also where my hair is the most frizzy, though I can't see how that would be the reason? :p
Does anyone know what I can do??

cindy58
April 19th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I give mine a gentle, thorough wash when it feels like that. It generally helps.

Other than it's time for a wash, it seems like it may have something to do with the position your hair has been in. I let mine down from a bun last night and my scalp felt tender like that, though it wasn't bothering me particularly when it was up in the bun. I was planning to wash anyway, I did, and now it feels fine.

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I give mine a gentle, thorough wash when it feels like that. It generally helps.

Other than it's time for a wash, it seems like it may have something to do with the position your hair has been in. I let mine down from a bun last night and my scalp felt tender like that, though it wasn't bothering me particularly when it was up in the bun. I was planning to wash anyway, I did, and now it feels fine.

My scalp has been like this for at least 3 months.... :( I know the feeling when I have had my hair up, and then letting it down, but this is not it. I tried so massage it away, so I massages the scalp and the part on the side of the face (I don't know what it is called, when I translated it it showed the word "temple"? :p) and I ended up with a pain-in-the-arse headache! :(

MaiCarInMtl
April 19th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I sometimes feel as though my scalp is tender but wearing it down for a day or two usually helps. I also notice that since I had cut down on the amount of times I was my hair (in general), if I overwash/handle it, then my scalp gets tender.

Have you started using any new products? How about wearing hats/etc? As weird as it sounds, sometimes my hair/scalp react differently from season to season ex: when I wear a tuque everyday (winter) and when I transition to wearing nothing on my head at all.

Carolyn
April 19th, 2011, 09:49 AM
If I go too long between washes I can get a sore scalp. It often starts on the third day after washing. I do a gentle scalp massage with a little oil and then wash it. I find that either a CO wash or a S & C wash will do the trick.

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Do you mean that you can get sores? Because I don't have any sores so I don't know where the "pain" is coming from... :confused: Think I formulated me wrong--

spidermom
April 19th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Sometimes putting my fingers on a sore spot and doing a little side-to-side wiggle really helps. If you try this, don't push too hard. Start with just resting your fingers and then moving them from side to side (like a shimmy). If that doesn't hurt, press in a little.

Firefox7275
April 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
What changed in your life three months ago, did you change hair products or styling methods? Is it perhaps because your scalp and hair are dry? :( If nothing has changed you should probably speak with a pharmacist or doctor, because there is always going to be some information lost in translation (tho your English is very good).

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Sometimes putting my fingers on a sore spot and doing a little side-to-side wiggle really helps. If you try this, don't push too hard. Start with just resting your fingers and then moving them from side to side (like a shimmy). If that doesn't hurt, press in a little.

I wil try that, thank you! :)

What changed in your life three months ago, did you change hair products or styling methods? Is it perhaps because your scalp and hair are dry? :( If nothing has changed you should probably speak with a pharmacist or doctor, because there is always going to be some information lost in translation (tho your English is very good).

Nothing I can remember, though I might know what is causing the problem.. I often tend to pull out single strands of hair, especially from that part of the scalp (because they feel so coarse and I feel that they just don't belong among other strands :guns:) and I do this even without thinking of it.. But I can't stop :( Stupid hair obsession!
Thank you! :flower:

I will make an appointment for my thyroid, might as well "point this out"..

Firefox7275
April 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Nothing I can remember, though I might know what is causing the problem.. I often tend to pull out single strands of hair, especially from that part of the scalp (because they feel so coarse and I feel that they just don't belong among other strands :guns:) and I do this even without thinking of it.. But I can't stop :( Stupid hair obsession!
Thank you! :flower:

I will make an appointment for my thyroid, might as well "point this out"..

Sorry to hear that. :( But there is a thread for trichotillomania (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4854) on LHC where you can get ideas on how others manage their condition or just support.

CurlAhead
April 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Sorry to hear that. :( But there is a thread for trichotillomania (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4854) on LHC where you can get ideas on how others manage their condition or just support.

I don't think I have trichotillomania (well, I hope not, I don't wanna get bald spots from where I have pulled away hair! :confused:) but I will sure read the thread. What if this is the start of it, oh God no! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Firefox7275
April 19th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I don't think I have trichotillomania (well, I hope not, I don't wanna get bald spots from where I have pulled away hair! :confused:) but I will sure read the thread. What if this is the start of it, oh God no! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

I'm sorry if I made you worry; as with any health issue there are different severities of trichotillomania. Some people do end up with bald patches but others manage their condition. If you are at the beginning what better time to learn the tricks that have been successful with to nip it in the bud? :)

Messyhair
April 19th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Mine was like this a while ago (maybe a month ago?) and it took a good thorough washing to get rid of the problem. Oh, and I changed my bun position a lot lower to keep pressure off the area. I had some scabs form and everything, and it took a while for it to all heal up, but the washing and bun-moving made it feel so much better.