PDA

View Full Version : Oiling mini French braid?

Toadstool
April 19th, 2011, 01:20 AM
My (dry and damaged) top and front hair is now long enough to do a few tiny French braids at the front.:cheese:
However, because it is so dry, I get hairs sticking out and escaping. It would be much easier to do slick but because my scalp is greasy I don't want to overdo it.
Do you think a tiny amount of coconut oil would make plaiting easier, or should I add something else?

Sundial
April 19th, 2011, 02:59 AM
You can experiment with oil or aloe vera gel or mist it abit before you braid.
Congratulations on your mini milestone!

ETA: left out one more - shea butter or similar alternative

Toadstool
April 19th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Thanks Sundial :)

Phexlyn
April 19th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I was going to suggest the same. A bit of hair wax might also help, depending on your hair. I use wax and/or coconut oil to make less frizzy rope braids and it works quite well. If you can braid damp hair, that might help, too, but it might look a bit differently if you wet the hair too much. At least that happens on my hair.

Yozhik
April 19th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Congratulations on your mini french braids! :)

I'd use oil and not worry too much over the scalp. Of course, I always think more oil is the solution, which is why I frequently wear my hair up to hide my sins. :p

Toadstool
April 19th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks Sundial and Yohzik, I shall just have to try out a few things. The braiding has to be tight because my hair is short and makes my scalp sore so I may have a hiatus on it for a while. At least I know I can do it now!