PDA

View Full Version : How do you oil your hair daily, if you do?

musicallberrii
April 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I just bought some coconut oil to use for my hair because it's been feeling extra dry... I have never used oil daily before and was looking for some advice. Do you let your hair dry before you use it? Do you use it just on the ends or bottom half? I have some damage I am growing out as well so I'd like to oil that if possible. Any advice would be most appreciated l! :D

TheBluffs
April 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I slatter the whole length, and leave it in for a whole day. I did it with hair dry, with it being a bit dirty. When you wash it all out, it gives you the softest hair. :D For me, the effects of my horrid, damaged 1 inch ends with coconut oil was amazing. Stayed that way for about two weeks. Then it's time to re-apply! :)

Pierre
April 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
What I used to do is spray some jojoba on my fingers and fingercomb when my hair is damp. What I do now is spray it on my palm, rub palms, and spread it on all my hair, which is usually up.

Lizbeth
April 18th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I oil my hair twice a day: In the morning before styling and before I go to bed. The hair is wrapped into a pontail and I put a little amount of oil all over it, starting from the bottom. I never use oil in wet hair, it looks awful if I do so, my hair stays greasy for days.

Malibu Barbie
April 19th, 2011, 12:51 AM
I spray my hair with oil in the mornings and braid it and before bed I comb out the braid, if it seems dry I will give it a few sprays then too. The spray I use (argan oil) is a light oil so it doesn't build up too much. I wash it all out at the end of the week and repeat.

musicallberrii
April 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone :) unfortunately I tried my oil before reading this, and ended up with a greasy mess. Nothing like washing your hair at 2 am to get rid of coconut oil! XD

ElusiveMuse
April 19th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone :) unfortunately I tried my oil before reading this, and ended up with a greasy mess. Nothing like washing your hair at 2 am to get rid of coconut oil! XD

If that happens again just leave it in! Wash it out in the morning. Heavy oil treatments are good!

SpinDance
April 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I have what I call portion control issues with coconut oil, so I usually just use it on dry hair as an overnight deep treatment then wash it out the next day (or on a lazy weekend maybe a couple days later). I don't usually put any on my head, just ends and length. Of course some gets on my head, too, as I put it up and all that, but I rarely bother to try to get it oily.

I'm experimenting with coconut oil shampoo, and today I put some extra oil on my ends and lengths before doing an oil shampoo. It has turned out quite well.

Until I started playing with oil shampoo I found CO washing to be the best way to get out a heavy oiling.

elbow chic
April 19th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dry, dirty hair on wash day for a couple hours, or overnight. I loooove what it has done for my ends.

haha, SpinDance! "portion control issues." Yeah, me too. 'If some is good, more is better!'

Chetanlaiho
April 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
I oil a little when I feel my hair starts feeling a bit dry. I also do DTs just before washing :)

I do oil it after I wash when it's still wet, but it drastically lengthens drying time so be careful xD (however, I just discovered that if I mix the coconut oil with aloe vera gel rather than jojoba oil, it dries up regular/quicker)

Copasetic
April 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I oil pretty much every day. Generally I wait until my hair is dry, and then I slather on quite a but of coconut oil and shea butter before I go to bed. It makes my curls look really nice in the morning.