PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen for the Hair

maborosi
April 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I've recently seen more and more products for hair that have UV protection in them. One of those is from one of my favorite sunscreen makers, Shiseido. I'm not a big hat fan- I've never really liked wearing them unless I was at a baseball game or something, so this has interested me greatly.

I'd been wondering about sunscreen that you could spray on the hair for a long time, especially because my scalp can get terribly sunburnt if I'm not careful and stay out too much (I am uber pale)

Does anyone have experience with sunscreens for the hair? What kind of damage can the sun do to the hair? (I used to notice when I was younger that my hair was in much worse shape, I wonder if it was because I spent a lot more time outdoors in the sunniest of summer days?) Can you apply them around the scalp area, or would it cause someone with a normally oily scalp to go berserk?

~maborosi~

Siiri
April 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I haven't tried sunscreens on hair, I use scarfs, because they are said to protect better. Sprays brush off easily, so do a bun and then spray. I would use regular sun lotion on scalp. Hair can't protect itself like skin can, so sun causes the hair to become more frail, dry and you get split ends. It's similar to long term heat styling, in a way. It also "bleaches" the hair; I have gotten a yellow streak in my otherwise dyed black hair in about a week of sun exposure when it didn't stay underneath the scarf. And that's in Finland where the UV-radiation isn't very bad. I believe it somehow oxidizes the hair, that's why it damages.

Firefox7275
April 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I've used a couple of 'sun & swim' leave-in conditioners and I didn't get on with them, they were sticky and made my hair look filthy. Plus most brands don't tell you what the SPF is for hair products, might be really low protection! :rolleyes: But maybe Shiseido is different in that respect? Like Siiri, I use a fabric headcovering somewhat like a bandana because I don't want my red bleaching out. You can get all sorts of pretty headwear these days, some people look amazing in a turban! :cool: If you want a natural protection, both coconut oil and unrefined shea butter are supposed to provide some.

racrane
April 18th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I use a wide-brimmed hat that's really cute. It protects my hair, face and shields my eyes. I use baseball caps too but a straw hat that's cute might be what you're looking for. Sprays look yucky on my blond hair.

Fingolphin
April 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I second all the recommendations for head coverings when I'm out working in the yard or whatever on a sunny day, I would always bun it up and then wear a bandana or something similar to cover it all up.

littlenvy
April 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Sorry, but all I could think of when I read the thread title was 'BUILD UP'.

I havn't tried any, mostly just cover up with a scarf or hat.

Dark Queen
April 18th, 2011, 05:37 PM
I usually carry a parasol if it's that bad, but I've also used the spray-on sunscreen on my hair on one occasion. It was sticky, but I figured I had to shower right after anyway. I don't want it getting sun bleached :(

I have heard some people say that you can dilute sun screen in a spray bottle with water and use that, but I've never tried it. Has anyone done this?

julliams
April 18th, 2011, 06:13 PM
The place where you would normally burn on your scalp would be your parting. I know when I've been outdoors with my hair out, I'll get burnt along the parting line, but if my hair is up in a bun, no part, no burn. So you can definitely get away with putting it up and just wearing the sunscreen on your neck and shoulders. Having said that, I have actually put regular sunscreen on my part when I've wanted to leave my hair out and it worked fine. I think if it's one of those super hot days and you just have to wear your hair out, try that.

As for sunscreen for your actual hair, I think it's overkill and I wouldn't bother with it. I've lived in Australia all my life and never really had an issue with damage from the sun. That said, I'm fair-skinned so I often find a shady place to sit if I can.

TheBluffs
April 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Something I found out recently: coconut oil is a natural sunscreen for hair. How cool is that?

Lianna
April 18th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I've had a leave-in for colored hair that had sunscreen, maybe dyed hair needs it more because it can fade? Shea butter also has some protection agaisnt the sun.

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Something I found out recently: coconut oil is a natural sunscreen for hair. How cool is that?

This is what I was gonna say ;) No buildup and coconut oil is great for hair whether in the sun or not!