PDA

View Full Version : Tea as a substitute for ACV rinse?

FluffSpider
April 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hello, LHCers! I was wondering if I could substitute my ACV for any kind of herbal/fruit/whatever tea. The ACV is very good to my hair, but the smell... it doesn't linger on after drying, but it annoys the crap out of me until then. I'm not washing my hair with yummy-smelling stuff to make it smell like pickled apples:( And I've read that teas can have a 5.p pH or so. Given that the point of an ACV is to restore acidity, could I get the same results with tea? Have you tried this? Does it work?
Stuff I'm willing to try, which I already own (willing to purchase too)
-Hibiscus tea
-Nettle tea
-Green tea
-Melissa tea
-Rooibos tea
-Earl Grey

ellen732
April 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I don't know if tea rinses do the same thing as an ACV rinse but I like what tea rinses do for my hair a lot better than an ACV rinse. I get the shine and softness from a tea rinse and from an ACV rinse (trying many different ratios of ACV to water) I would only get frizzy fly aways.

ElusiveMuse
April 19th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I dilute my ACV rinses with teas instead of water. It helps with the scent.

Chetanlaiho
April 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I switch up ACV and tea rinses, I heard that any black tea would be good, I use earl grey.

Though when I did a tea rinse without any conditioner before or after, my hair turned to straw O_o not sure why that happened but just a note of caution xD

CarpeDM
April 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM
I have tried both and I think each works differently. For me the ACV rinse drys and clarifies while the tea rinses (rosemary, green tea, nettle) do not dry or clarify my hair, instead the tea rinses leave my hair softer.

Seharia
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I put my ACV in tea instead of plain water sometimes but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the end result of my hair. It also depends on what tea you use hibiscus and rooibos both were very similar to ACV when I tried them but black and green tea dried my hair out a little (could this possibly be because they have more tannins?). I use the ACV as a conditioner more than a ph restorer but my general rule is if it tastes sour its acidic thus hopefully good for hair.
If you don't like to use ACV have you tried lemon or citric acid (sour salt)?

Anje
April 19th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Be aware that the tannins in real tea are likely to build up, just like they do in a tea cup that doesn't get serious scrubbing regularly. I've heard that shorter brew times (5 minutes or less) lessen this effect, but I imagine you still will need to wash it out regularly.

Hibiscus is definitely acidic-tasting. It might also build up, but I'm not the person to ask. I do remember reading reports of it staining towels an interesting pinkish purple color.

Alternatively, have you tried white vinegar (smells like vinegar, but not like pickled apples)? Or citric acid?

RadiantNeedle
April 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Citric acid is a great alternative, particularly combined with an herbal tea or infusion.
I tend to switch things around. Some days I use a dash of acv with a lemon myrtle infusion (leaves and hot water left from anywhere between 30 minutes to overnight), or with peppermint tea and a sprig of rosemary. Other days I use plain citric acid, or citric acid and one of the tea/herb infusions. Actually, the last couple of times I've used citric acid and lemon myrtle my hair and skin have felt amazing!
Time to experiment?

wavykisses
April 27th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I really would like to know that since ACV turned my hair brownish/red
and I want to use poo bars but I don't want to do an ACV rinse, lemon rinses also lighten my hair.
Does tea rinses are acidic as ACV?
I have some dried rosemary maybe I can do a tea rinse with it after my poo bar

Anje
April 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Tea rinses might also give you some color... Why not use white vinegar? Or citric acid? Neither will change your hair color.

FluffSpider
April 28th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I don't mind the colour change, as long as it doesn't lighten.I just minded the smell... and white vinegar doesn't smell too good, but I'll try infusing some rooibos or hibiscus, and see how that goes. Or get a strong-smelling tea and put a dash of ACV in it:p thank you for all the replies, you guys are great!

Kwongdzu
April 28th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I just got my shampoo bars yesterday to try for the first time, with an acv rinse. So I'm a complete novice! But I do remember reading in the poo bar thread that someone added a tiny amount of oils to their rinse to help it smell better...rosemary, I believe? You could prob do a search for it (I feel like it was Neoma who mentioned this)-