PDA

View Full Version : What's your hair stick preference?

Sieren
April 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
My hair is FINALLY long enough to put up in a bun with hair sticks!! Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! :cheese:
So I am contemplating my first wooden or antler hair stick purchase (I really like the decorated ones Nightshade sells on etsy, as well as Grahtoe Studios antler and sword ones...), so in light of that, and just because I'm curious, I was wondering:
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?
~What length of hair stick do you use?
~Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks?

I just want to get a sort of general idea of what length of hair stick(s) is generally used with what length/thickness of hair to help me decide what to look for. Thanks all!!

PS. Oh, and I will be posting some progress pics soon too...its been a while!

FluffSpider
April 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My hair is at waist, medium thickness(fine strand, 8.5 cm circumference). I usually use one hairstick because I don't have two lying around, and I usually use the 'standard' size-the size of the chopsticks you get when ordering Chinese food. I haven't measured them. But my main preference would be :CHEAP. I would say grab a cheap pair of sticks to practice correct techniques with, then break out the fancy ones. I've broken a couple of hairsticks and hairtoys, and I think everyone has-because of exerting too much pressure or tensing up too much. Congrats on your mini-goal(I suppose) and we're all waiting for you to brag about the sticks:d

elbow chic
April 18th, 2011, 10:51 AM
yeah for first hair sticks! I just got my first ones a couple weeks ago, so I totally know what you mean about not being sure what to even look for.

So, I only have one pair myself. My hair is 25 inches long and my pony is 4.5 inches.

Mine are ketylos, 6 inches. I definitely prefer wearing two, both for security and because my hair looks weird with just one stick in it, even though it looks fine on other people.

Sieren
April 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Wow fast!! : D Thank you for the great info!

Kaijah
April 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM
My hair is at hip, about 4.5 inch pony circumference (when everything's smashed down and oiled). Being fully curly adds some bulk and makes the bun bigger.

I like 7 inch sticks - I need at least 5 inches of usable length and like to leave some stick poking out either side. I actually like to use sticks singly and in pairs, it just depends on the type of stick. :D Chunkier wood sticks (say, 5/8ths inch thick or so) or antlers are easy to use singly and still get really good hold. Really narrow sticks I prefer to use in pairs, or else the weight of my hair can be too much for them to handle and the bun falls away from my head.

ibleedlipstick
April 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
My hair is about 4 inches from BSL (I have a very long neck and very short torso. I will probably have TBL hair by this time next year because I'm 5'8 of leg and neck)

My hair is massively thick and baby-fine, so I have only recently been able to really depend on stick-based styles.

I usually buy 6 inch functional length minimum, and with your hair texture/thickness I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than that, unless you want to replace them as your hair grows.

I only use once stick — I honestly have no idea what I would use a second one for.

Tefnut
April 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
How do you use hairsticks?

ohiofritty
April 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
My hair is between apl and bsl currently and I also recently just got to stick length...I use one thick stick (I bought a bunch from LadyIdun on etsy) usually...I also have no idea what I'd do with two.
I absolutely love putting my hair up with a stick...it seems almost magical. Can't wait till it gets longer!

lapushka
April 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

Looking forward to your progress pics!

-> I'm a little past WL at 28 inches, more or less.

-> Thickness: iii

-> The sticks that I use vary between 5 and 6 inches, which seems to be my comfort zone. Whatever length my hair is, if the sticks are 5 to 6 inches, it's not a waste of money. Most of my decorated Quattros are 5.5 inches, but I can still use the 4 inch aluminum Quattro Flexstix I started with (except they won't show in my hair). My 5 inch sticks are kind of starting to disappear in my hair too lately, but for fork lengths, a 5 inch functional prong length seems fine (otherwise the fork will end up being too long anyway). More than 6 inches and it will show past my head, which is... well, not that great. I think the 7 inch sticks will be in case my hair should go beyond CL (which is doubtful at this point).

-> One stick is often fine, but 2 makes things a little firmer, as WL won't let me do very secure buns yet.

ravenreed
April 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I have some lovely hair sticks by various people but the two I reach for for every day ease are my Ketylos and my Quattros. They go in, lock in, and don't shift for anything. If I want wow factor, I reach for my Nightblooming or Ravenslair because I have stunning pieces by both of them.

Lianna
April 18th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I prefer metal hairsticks because I wash my hair quite a lot (though I use wooden forks without problems). But since I have easy acess to the metal ones locally, I mainly buy those, might have about 3 wooden pairs and a couple horn.

~How long is your hair? My hair is between shoulder and APL.
~How thick is your hair? My hair is thick (iii)
~What length of hair stick do you use? 5.5 to 6 inches are the best, I don't like to see them from the front (only sides)
~Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks? 2 hairsticks

Sieren
April 18th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Thank you all so very much! Off to hair stick shopping now, YAY! I agree that there is something magical about being able to wrap all your hair up in a bun and hold it there with just sticks!

jasper
April 18th, 2011, 07:46 PM
My hair is kind of fine and I have a medium amount of it about hip length. I have been using sticks from about waist length.

I prefer a stick around 6 inches. I have some more like 7 or longer and they seem to stick out too far, as if passersby might be in danger.

I usually secure my hair with one stick these days. I wear pairs sometimes, but the second stick is just poked through and not supporting.

Savvyhorsez
April 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I used to do wooden ones in the past until a friend couldn't have long hair anymore, and she gave me her bone hair stick, and I love it! I just use one, and with a tighter lazy wrap bun I've gone horseback riding, running, biking, badminton, etc, and have had a real bad problem with it.:)

HairStickler
April 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM
~How long is your hair? 42.5 inches
~How thick is your hair? ponytail circumference ~4.5 inches
~What length of hair stick do you use? usually 5 inches functional length but 4.5 inches still works for some buns
~Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks? 2 -- my bun comes loose with just 1

Sundial
April 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
How long is your hair?
28.5"

How thick is your hair?
About 4 and 1/8" in ponytail circumference

What length of hair stick do you use?
6" sticks, and 7" sticks for styles that tend to 'spread' more although 6" mostly works because I prefer both ends of my stick to still be visible

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks?
1 hair stick. I find 2 sticks cumbersome and have no idea how to place them

Syaoransbear
April 18th, 2011, 11:42 PM
How long is your hair?:
Two or three inches above waist.

How thick is your hair?:
3"

What length of hair stick do you use?:
6 inch

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks?:
Just one

Malibu Barbie
April 19th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I use both the wood and metal.
My hair is about 36 inches
I have some 8 inch sticks 6 ,7 , 5.5. depends on the do.
I use one or two depends on my mood. If I'm doing heavy exercise I do a tight bun with two.

ravenreed
April 19th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Hmm, didn't answer the poll. Here goes-

~How long is your hair?

Not sure as I stopped measuring a while ago. I am about three inches from classic, I believe.

~How thick is your hair?

Medium thickness and I have layers so I have a wicked taper and ends that want to escape and stick out.

It really depends. My favorite Ketylos are the shorties and barely stick out of my bun. I really got them for double buns and they are the perfect length for those, but I find them so useful that I wear them a lot in single buns. My Quattros are 5" as well, I believe. Some of my fancier sticks are 6" and I have a 7" or so, but I really prefer 6" or 5".

It really depends on the sticks and the buns. My lazy wraps tend to rotate so an extra stick prevents that. Otherwise with nautilus buns and such I often wear one stick. Slippery sticks I tend to wear in pairs to balance them out.

Loreley
April 19th, 2011, 01:33 AM
- 47", mid-thigh length
- it's thick, my ponytail circumference is 4.6"
- 6.5-7" long hairsticks work best for me
- I always use only one stick

linnepinne
April 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM
My hair is 22" (almost APL) and ii, but on the thinner side. The strands are also very fine, and all of my buns always get very compact. Because of that, I prefer thin sticks that are made of extremely smooth materials. My favorite one was a stick made of glass! (unfortunetly, I managed to drop it and it smashed into a million pieces = the downside with glass hair sticks). I also like metal ones, your normal sticks you use for knitting socks are awesome! But they are not very decorative I'm affraid.

Braidy
April 19th, 2011, 02:34 AM
My hair is between APL and BSL and I recently started experimenting with sticks. My favourite "stick style" at the moment is a French Twist kind of something, held together with a single stick. The stick I use is one of those things they put in cocktail glasses for decoration. Took it home one day after a party. Very cheap and works perfect so why spend extra money? :)

ETA: just measured the stick and it's functional length is 7 inches, which I use completely in this French Twist thing :s

pepperminttea
April 19th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I spy a soon-to-be hairtoy addict. :D

~How long is your hair?
A few inches past waist (36" as of the beginning of the month).

~How thick is your hair?
The thick end of average; 3.8".

It depends on what style; a compact bun, especially an oiled one, I can still get away with five inches. But for larger buns, like Spidermom's bun which is quite wide, I need at least six inches (it works great with a medium ketylo). I also find on sticks with toppers I can get away with less functional length, since it can be pushed into the bun more without fear of the bun engulfing it on the topper end.

Again, depends on the bun. Cinnabuns I need two, but buns which secure themselves more (like the nautilus, which is more of a knot), I can just use one. And buns like Spidermom's only need one, although you could use a fork instead of a stick. :)

embee
April 19th, 2011, 06:16 AM
My hair is classic now, but thin and fine. I use one MeiFa stick to hold a bun all day. When I started using hairsticks I needed an elastic and two sticks, but once I got the technique figured out I went to one stick by itself. The stick is under 6 inches total length.

I have tried the thicker sticks and they do not stay in my hair, they work themselves back out! Most annoying. So I stay with the MeiFa, and I have one Catstyle (but she's gone away so no more from her, and that one is *so* nice).

Phexlyn
April 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

My hair is a bit past tailbone length, but the same sticks work for at least up to classic length on me. I'm on the low side of ii, just a tad over 2" ponytail circumference and I have quite a bit of taper.
Hairsticks must be at least 5" long, or else I'm not comfortable with them. I guess I could make 4" sticks work in most styles, though, I just prefer having longer sticks.
I used to need only one stick for most of my styles, but since my hemline has started to thicken up, I very often use two sticks (this also depends on the type of bun) or I'll just secure a one-hairstick-bun with a few additional pins. I have to pin the ends down most of the time anyway.

QMacrocarpa
April 19th, 2011, 08:41 AM
~How long is your hair?
Probably about 22", I haven't measured since a recent trim
~How thick is your hair?
In the average range, 3.5" pony circumference.
A range, from 4.5" ones that I use combined with an elastic to make an "elastic slide" to 6" ones that work great for wide buns like the Cheater's Easy Hairstick bun. I have some that are about 7" but I find them a bit too long for most things. I don't like having stick showing on either side of my face from a front view (I don't mind it showing a bit above my head, but usually that won't work for me because of bike helmet conflicts). If I were doing it again, I would experiment with pencils in various lengths first. I mostly use sticks I've made from oak dowel, but have also recently started using stoutish aluminum double-pointed knitting needles (American size 10-ish?) in the shower.
One stick per bun. For the shower I sometimes make two lazy wrap buns stacked up the back of my head, so then I need two sticks. Like several others I noticed in the thread, I have not figured out how to position a second stick to be structurally helpful, and it seems like if I did get the second stick to be supportive, it would be kind of annoying to have the two sticks crossing, like that might make an extra-tight spot.

selderon
April 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

I first secured my hair with hair sticks once it was long enough to wrap in a cinnabun 1.5 turns. That was long enough for me to tuck the end under and leave room for sticks. For me, that was BSL with iii hair.

I used two Japanese chopsticks. When my hair reaches hair stick length again, I'll probably go a couple inches shorter.

How do you use hairsticks?

Hair sticks work like one giant hair pin. As with hair pins, the wearer pushes the hair stick through strands of hair that exert force in opposite directions. This acts as a sort of lock to keep the hairstyle in place.

Try this link for written instructions: http://www.longlocks.com/how-to-use-hair-sticks.htm
Try this link for instructions with photos: http://www.longhairloom.com/howto.html

HairStickler
April 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM
When I use 2 hairsticks, I cross them like an "X." They hold really well and I don't notice any pressure at the point where the sticks intersect. However, I have been doing it this way for many years, so maybe I am just used to it.

Karmi
April 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
How long is your hair?

28 inches (waist length on me) and growing

How thick is your hair?

thick, 4"

What length of hair stick do you use?

I prefer 6" or 5" but I have an overabundance of 8.5" which is totally overkill, but they were a gift and I use them around the house and during oiling.

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks?
One, two can look nice but one is simple.

Toffee20
April 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM
How long is your hair - bra strap length! nearly 25 inches I think!

How thick is your hair - a little thicker than average I *think*.. 8.5cm circumference =)

What length of hair stick do you use - well. I use to use one about 6.5 inches but broke it.. Now I am using a (beautiful purple) pencil (crayon) which is 5.5 inches and I adore it! I am very aware of the fact no one else I know uses hair sticks, so my friends / family see it as a bit odd! So I am really happy about the fact the pencil sticks out less than an inch on both sides with most buns I do... But I wouldn't want it shorter!!

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks - I'm still quite a newbie, have never tried 2 sticks, am finding hair is perfectly happy with one! I can totally recommend trying (blunt ish) pencils to see what length you like...

I hope this is helpful!

tinti
April 24th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have 4,7" thick poni circ, and I prefer to have 2 sticks in my hair, just because it gives my mane some extra security when I need it. I like hairsticks that is not like huge, 5-6 inches is perfect, I think, just because I don't like too much stick showing like I have an antenna on my head or something :p Ketylos are great!! Also be aware that you choose wooden sticks or toys you can't use them in wet/damp hair unless it's stated that you can on the web page.

chenille
April 24th, 2011, 04:32 PM
How long is your hair? About midway between BSL and waist.

How thick is your hair? Medium thickness (ii)

What length of hair stick do you use? If you're talking usable length, my shortest one is 4 inches and it works for a nautilus bun. My other favorite sticks are about 5 to 6 inches usable length.

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks? One, most often, because it's generally one stick doing the work while a second is merely decorative. Along those lines, I tend to use just one if it's an intricate or fancy stick, while the plainer sticks are OK in pairs.

Sieren
May 12th, 2011, 08:59 AM
My hair is between APL and BSL and I recently started experimenting with sticks. My favourite "stick style" at the moment is a French Twist kind of something, held together with a single stick. The stick I use is one of those things they put in cocktail glasses for decoration. Took it home one day after a party. Very cheap and works perfect so why spend extra money? :)

ETA: just measured the stick and it's functional length is 7 inches, which I use completely in this French Twist thing :s

I would love to see a pic of your "french twist thing"! I've been wanting to do a style like that, and your hair is just a bit longer than mine, so maybe your version will work for me!

Misti
May 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

My hair is tailbone, moderate to thin, and superfine.

I use 5 inch sticks, mostly, because others are just too long.

I prefer two sticks

That said, my husband, who has waistlength superfine, untra thin hair prefers one stick for his bun.

Nastasia
May 12th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I'm a couple inches short of classic, and have about 3" of ponytail circumference. I like 6-inch sticks - they're long enough that I don't feel my bun is going to swallow them, but not too long. I do have a bunch of longer sticks, but anything over maybe 8" is way too long for me.

I nearly always wear single sticks. I'm all about getting my hair to stay up with as few implements as possible :). If I'm wearing two sticks, one is structural and one is purely decorative.

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

mid back-ish
THICK
6-12 inches ( i make my own)
depends on the hair style and whether or not it's a set or a single one

christine1989
May 14th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I find that most popular hairsticks are thick and on the shorter side so I end up owning very few :(. My hair is between BSL and waist (closer to BSL when dry and almost waist when wet) and medium thickness. I like my hairsticks long and thin (more like a chopstick). I find that one is all I need for the updos I do so I don't own any sets.

ooo
May 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I prefer to wear two ketylos. My hair is APL-ish, thick and wavy.

Amber_Maiden
February 1st, 2012, 04:38 PM
~How long is your hair? My hair is between waist and hip.
~How thick is your hair? My hair is very very thick (iii)
~What length of hair stick do you use? 6in to 7in.
~Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks? 2 hairsticks

I also prefer using wood. My favorite hairsticks are made of an unknown dark red wood, are 8in long, and I got them off the SwapBoard. They are very very thin, but they keep my hair up and are amazing!

styric
February 1st, 2012, 04:44 PM
How long is your hair? Waist

How thick is your hair? ii

What length of hair stick do you use? Between 4.5-6"

Do you prefer 1 or 2 hair sticks? I use 1-2 depending on my mood and how my hair is behaving. I prefer wood

I first got hooked on them when I passed a mall stand with gorgeous painted hair sticks. I walked past because I didn't know how to use them and my hair was only apl, but came back a few weeks later and saw them again and fell in love again. I bought a wooden carved gecko stick and one with flames inlaid with silver. They're still my favorite sticks and started my wish to grow my hair longer to try more styles. I used to be a pony tail freak, now people are always checking my head to see what I stuck in my hair this time

Neorah
February 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
~How long is your hair?
About 38-39 inches.

~How thick is your hair?
About 3" circumfrence. My hair is somewhat fine, but I have a decent amount of it.

My go-to sticks are my 6" Ketylos; they are almost completely lost in my bun, but I usually don't like to have much stick showing.

I usually just wear one, my hair doesn't need two to be stable.

rock007junkie
February 1st, 2012, 06:51 PM
~How long is your hair?
3 inches above waist

~How thick is your hair?
ii

Usually 5 inches or so. I have a small son and I try not to get anything larger because I am afrair of poking him in the face with it.

I usually just wear one. It's enough to hold my hair securely. I wear two when I want my updo to look fancy

Hollyfire3
February 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
My hair is FINALLY long enough to put up in a bun with hair sticks!! Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! :cheese:
So I am contemplating my first wooden or antler hair stick purchase (I really like the decorated ones Nightshade sells on etsy, as well as Grahtoe Studios antler and sword ones...), so in light of that, and just because I'm curious, I was wondering:
~How long is your hair?
~How thick is your hair?

I just want to get a sort of general idea of what length of hair stick(s) is generally used with what length/thickness of hair to help me decide what to look for. Thanks all!!

My hair is 1 inch short of BSL
My hair is quite thick about 4.25 ponytail
I use a seven inch pointy set of hairsticks (chop sticks from Chinatown in San Fransico from a friend's trip actually)
I really should use 2 sticks, my hair falls down with one

Beckstar
February 1st, 2012, 07:07 PM
My hair is slight longer than waist and I use two hair sticks. Well, today was the first time I ever tried just one...um, it was a pencil but still that same idea. And it held! :cheese:

auburntressed
February 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
My pony is 5". My length is about 32-34 inches. Right now, I only have two hairsticks. One is a 6" ketylo and the other is a long Chinese food chopstick. I use the chopstick for in the shower and around the house. I want more ketylos, but I can't decide if I should get 7" or 6" when I do. The 6" holds my hair decently with one stick, but I have a feeling it won't once I get some more length. Then again, I'd like some 6" matched pairs for when I do double buns. So I don't know what I'll do in the end.

Zesty
February 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
My hair is between waist and hip, 32". It's right at 4" ponytail circumference. I like for my normal hairsticks to be about 6" long. This leaves some stick poking out at either end, but still minimizes the risk of poking someone in the eye while hugging them. :)

marena
February 1st, 2012, 11:05 PM
I need to start experimenting with sticks

linnepinne
February 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM
~How long is your hair?
Between APL and BSL

~How thick is your hair?
Last time I mesured i was 2.4"

My hair is not very thick and it compacts into very tight little buns because of its fine texture. So I like my sticks/forks not too long, maybe 5-6 inches. It also needs to be in a slippery material like metal (short knitting needles are perfect), and they have to be quite thin for them to penetrate my super compact bun :D Though I just bought this lovely little dymondwood hairfork from etsy: [/URL][URL]http://www.etsy.com/transaction/70388277 (http://http//www.etsy.com/transaction/70388277) which works even though its wooden. I think it's thanks to its size and the smallness of the prongs. It's also very light and flexible and it's super comfy!

I prefer one. I even can use just one bobby pin to hold my hair up all day if strategically placed. And I don't like for my sticks to stick out too much, as I am a bit clumsy and tend to get things/people poked with my hair sticks :o

fluffybunny
February 2nd, 2012, 12:51 AM
35 inches long, 3.25 inch circumference, my favorite sticks are my 5 inch acrylic Ketylos. I use 2 most of the time, but sometimes 1.

I have 6 and 7 inch sticks also, but I prefer the 5's for practical reasons (less likely to catch on collars, hoods, and purse straps) and for looks. I just don't really like the look of sticks sticking way out of my hair.