PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from those stands at the mall! My horror story.

Scarlet_Heart
April 18th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I'm desperate to find a nice hair fork but want to save on shipping and stuff so I decided to try my luck at the mall. I knew I probably wouldn't find anything, but I didn't have anything else to do so I headed on over.

Well I figured I would take a quick look at that stand where they have all of the sparkly hair toys. You know the one? They have pretty barrettes and clips and stuff with what kind of looks like Swarovski crystals. The downside is that as soon as they see you looking they are all over you, hovering over your shoulder to make sure you aren't stealing. So I asked him if they had any hair forks and he tries to pawn off some combs on me and I said, Ok, so you don't have any hair forks." He says "Well this will work, let me show you." He picks up an elastic (w/ metal) and comes at me. I move away and say, "Uh, no thank you" and he KEEPS coming at me with this elastic going "No, no, here I'll just show you" and his hands are moving toward my hair. I grabbed my hair protectively and said, "Don't touch my hair!" He got all grumpy and I just left.

Who KNOWS how many people's hair he had that elastic in (did I mention the metal?). ACK! And then he looked at me like I was the weirdo for saying no. Really? Never got that reaction before, fella? Yea right. Never will I frequent that shop again. shudder:

tinti
April 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Eeep! Sounds like a creepy guy! I wouldn't revisit that store anytime soon :p

Elleyena
April 18th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Ick....that's definitely not a good thing. If I go anywhere near the mall, I don't tend to have my hair down. That way it's safe and protected.

Glad you were able to get away!

FluffSpider
April 18th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm not freaked out by the metal thing(not many people KNOW the metal ruins your hair) or the fact that he probably used it on someone else. However, I AM freaked out by the fact that he was stupid enough to try and convince you he had something similar to a hair fork, by using an elastic. Exactly WHAT did he plan to do?
It's like going to the grocery store:
You: Hello. Do you have tomatoes?
Seller: No, but we do have some watermelon-it's red and it will end up in your stomach. Why not use that instead?

FoxRain
April 18th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Even if you weren't a LHC member, I'd still think him being so pushy after you said "no" would freak most people out. Damaging hairtoy or no, that is just creepy.

Ella Menneau P.
April 18th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Seller: No, but we do have some watermelon-it's red and it will end up in your stomach. Why not use that instead?
:D

Too funny!

ibleedlipstick
April 18th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Those stands at the mall... I avoid at all costs. Seriously, I have never found anything that I wanted/needed at them, and the pushing is a major turnoff. If I am going to buy something, I will buy it without someone pushing it on me.

lapushka
April 18th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Gee. Talk about the polite approach. Yeah, fella, that's the way to go about it. :roll:

vanillabones
April 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
These people have always scared me I've never gone to any of the stands besides to buy a pillow pet once (hehe) they're so aggressive and pushy and usually hardly speak english and they're really touchy :( sorry that happened to you and I'm so glad you stood up for yourself/protected your hair. When I was younger I was too shy/submissive and wouldn't stand up for myself.

Scarlet_Heart
April 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I'm not freaked out by the metal thing(not many people KNOW the metal ruins your hair) or the fact that he probably used it on someone else. However, I AM freaked out by the fact that he was stupid enough to try and convince you he had something similar to a hair fork, by using an elastic. Exactly WHAT did he plan to do?
It's like going to the grocery store:

Exactly! Wtf was the elastic even for?

Tressie
April 18th, 2011, 08:33 AM
It sounds to me almost like he was actually desperate to make a sale, like in an old slap-stick comedy. I'm glad you, and your hair, escaped unscathed! Too funny!! (o:

racrane
April 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
What annoys me most is how pushy the guy was. No means no - in whatever situation it may be.

Carolyn
April 18th, 2011, 08:50 AM
If I'm interested in a particular hair toy at one of those stands I don't mind them demoing how to use it in my hair. I don't have a problem with occasional metal hair toy use. I know how to be careful but I doubt those kiosk people do. A guy putting something in my hair would really creep me out. The girls aren't so bad. I was at a fair and was thinking of purchasing an African Butterfly comb. I needed to try it on and see how it worked in my hair before I bought it. There was a husband and wife team at the booth. The woman just sat there and the guy showed me how to use it. He tried putting it in my hair. I was so creeped out. Like gagging almost creeped out. I grabbed it away from him and put my hair up myself. He acted all offended. I wish I'd never bought the damn thing. With kiosk people you need to be icy cold and standoffish. I know they are just trying to make a buck but geeze. I'm at the mall trying to shop.

elbow chic
April 18th, 2011, 08:56 AM
What annoys me most is how pushy the guy was. No means no - in whatever situation it may be.

Yeah, I hate that hard-sell stuff.

It works, though, at least some percentage of the time-- that's why they do it.

Is it just me, or are malls a lot chintzier than they used to be? I seem to recall them having nice things and polite salespeople, but the last mall I went to was full of obviously desperate salespeople pushing straight-up junk. Ick!

louisemg82
April 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
That's really creepy. Even if it was clean, I'm thinking about the damage he'd do to your hair. You know what else you've got to watch out for when you go shopping? People trying to round you up and use you as a 'hair model' (ie. they're going to let a student loose on you to do a Joan of Arc cut that no-one else wants). I always get that, then when I say no, they get all defensive and ask why I'm so 'afraid' of having my hair cut! Some people are so rude.

rhosyn_du
April 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Wow, seriously creepy. What kind of person doesn't understand that touching someone, eve if it's "just" their hair, is not okay if they've said "no"?

I generally avoid those stands. I once had a guy working at one of them stop me (I wasn't even looking at his stuff! I was on my way to the bookstore.) and try to sell me a flat iron by telling me how frizzy and "obviously damaged" my hair was. Because I guess insulting me is a good sales strategy? It especially pissed me off because he had obviously natural curls, but kept telling me that I'd like my waves so much better if I flat-ironed and then used a curling iron to put the waves back in, and that any frizz at all means hair is damaged.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
You're awesome. Good for your for grabbing your hair and standing your ground!

telegraph64
April 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Oh, no!
I don't like kiosks, they're very invasive, I have a very small but effective phobia of people coming at me aggressively, and kiosk people tend to fit that criteria very well for me. I believe it has something to do with dreams I had as a child, perhaps.

I usually try to look as busy as I can, holding up my cell phone, or if I'm with my husband, I make conversation with him as we pass the kiosks, and if I follow those "rules", they do not bother me/us.

The man in the original post, sounds very scary to me, I do not like when people do that and I don't know anyone who does like it. I fail to understand how someone can continue an "assault" even when the customer says "No", the customer is always right, isn't this true? Well apparently not in this man's world.

maborosi
April 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I usually hate those kiosks.

But once I had a wonderful experience in which a very sweet lady helped me pick out a nice hairclip for a formal event- she was very kind and not pushy at all. I wish more people like that worked at the kiosks in the mall, because I freaking love those glittery hairthings.

~maborosi~

Scarlet_Heart
April 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Oh, no!
I don't like kiosks, they're very invasive, I have a very small but effective phobia of people coming at me aggressively, and kiosk people tend to fit that criteria very well for me. I believe it has something to do with dreams I had as a child, perhaps.

I usually try to look as busy as I can, holding up my cell phone, or if I'm with my husband, I make conversation with him as we pass the kiosks, and if I follow those "rules", they do not bother me/us.

The man in the original post, sounds very scary to me, I do not like when people do that and I don't know anyone who does like it. I fail to understand how someone can continue an "assault" even when the customer says "No", the customer is always right, isn't this true? Well apparently not in this man's world.

Yes, I don't understand how being like that is an effective sales strategy. Or those "can I ask you a question" guys. Ick, talk about smarmy. :mad:

Fingolphin
April 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM
My wife and I had a similar experience one time at the mall like that, though it wasn't hair stuff, but "Oro Gold," or something like that. He would not accept "no" for an answer, and kept grabbing our hands and rubbing stuff on them and buffing nails and stuff like that, and when we finally got away, he acted all mad as if we had wasted HIS time, when he was the one who held us prisoner. :) To make matters worse, he had a heavy accent that my wife was having trouble understanding, and she answered some of his questions completely wrong. I thought it was kind of funny, aside from the extreme pushiness.

Alvrodul
April 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM
No means no - if it happens again, complain about it! Inform the mall security people or the administration that you felt threatened by the aggressive salesman.
And Fingolphin, that salesperson you encountered should not have smeared you with her gloop against your clearly expressed wishes. What if one of you were seriously allergic to something in it? It is rare, but it happens - I tend to be careful myself, since i have some allergies, and only once have had a potentially dangerous allergic reaction to something. (Once is enough!!:mad:)

GlassWidow
April 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
ETA: I meant to also say that I agree that this man was far too forward with you! A common sales tactic is to get the customer to handle the item and hopefully fall in love with it. It's not common to force it on a customer out of desperation!

It doesn't bother me when the attendant hovers because I'm sure there is a huge risk for things disappearing. I don't mind if the attendant doesn't speak perfect English. I even like it when they see what I'm looking at and make suggestions.

What I can't stand is the fact that these things are often really cheaply made. For the price they're charging, I've never gotten the quality I expect. You know, if I'm buying a $10 Goody hair toy at Target, I don't expect it to last forever. The hair toys at the mall are two or three times that, and not made any better. I was given a fancy hair toy from one of those places one time. It fell on the floor and broke; the "metal" was kind of cakey and porous inside. Nasty.

I will still occasionally browse, but I won't ever buy (and for that reason, it's not often that I browse, because I know first hand how annoying it is when people admire without any intent to buy. That's a rant for another day. ;))

Amraann
April 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I would have been a little creeped out when he put his hand on my shoulder.
To stop you from shop lifting? Spare me. He was just a creep. He could have just watched you without touching you if shop lifting was his concern.
Then he furthers his creepiness by trying to play with your hair after you already said no??

Seriously I would have reported him to mall management whom he rents his spot from.

My local mall is actually very friendly. EXCEPT for the cell phone Kiosk. I was walking by with my cell phone out (Not even stopping to look) and the woman says "why don't you switch to sprint?"
To which I said "no thank you"
Her: "Why not?" Me: "I just do not like them"
She had to keep going... so I finally said "Because Sprint sucks and they screw their customers"
I said this very loudly and proceeded to explain how they double billed me for like 6 months. Admitted their mistake but refused to refund my money. I said that loudly too.
Believe me all of the other customers actually looking left the Kiosk too.

I cannot stand rude sales people!
What makes someone think that they can BULLY you into buying something?
I think that I am going to make a thread about that topic!

Malibu Barbie
April 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I worked at a mall and I ran from these guys.. Most are really rude and very aggressive, I told them I worked in the mall and to leave me alone, they yelled a few cuss words everytime I walk by after that, very rude indeed!!

Fingolphin
April 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
No means no - if it happens again, complain about it! Inform the mall security people or the administration that you felt threatened by the aggressive salesman.
And Fingolphin, that salesperson you encountered should not have smeared you with her gloop against your clearly expressed wishes. What if one of you were seriously allergic to something in it? It is rare, but it happens - I tend to be careful myself, since i have some allergies, and only once have had a potentially dangerous allergic reaction to something. (Once is enough!!:mad:)

Actually, it was a him this time as well, not a her. :shrug: Just to clarify: the accent was not the problem. It was my wife not understanding it that was the problem. :)

firicia
April 18th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, that's not good in the sense that when you told him not to touch you (your hair is part of you) he still kept coming at you. He's lucky he didn't do that to some of the people I know, he would have never done that again. :p

RitaPG
April 18th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Even if you weren't a LHC member, I'd still think him being so pushy after you said "no" would freak most people out. Damaging hairtoy or no, that is just creepy.

My thoughts exactly. Geez, I would start screaming at him not to touch my hair. That's not just rude, it's creepy as hell shudder:

monsterna
April 18th, 2011, 04:00 PM
So freaking creepy. I would have yelled at him too. I'm glad you protected yourself, I know a lot of people wouldn't, which is very sad. And those are exactly the kind of people that the kiosk operators prey on -- people who are "too nice," and that's how they make sales when it's not actually made from people who legitimately are interested in their products.

Those sales people deserve not one jot of anyone's attention (unless said person is interested in the overpriced crap they're selling) and they shouldn't be treated well unless they treat you well (this is extremely rare in my experience). They are oozing with desperation to make a sell, and it's just horrible and pushy. I hate salesmen to begin with unless you've specifically inquired about something they're selling and actually want to know more. Other than that, leave me alone. I went to the mall a couple months ago but before that it was so long. Now I definitely make it a point to never go. Those kiosks are just so skeevy 95% of the time.

And I have had those people put all of their "natural mineral" (I bet they don't even know what a mineral is) makeup on my hands, until my hand looked like one of my parents must have been a rainbow. They don't take no for an answer, and when you walk away without buying anything, they get pissy. If you're stupid enough to use up your products on people who expressly say no and have no interest in them whatsoever, you deserve to have it wasted.

Not to say all kiosk workers are like this. I like the ones operated by teenage girls, because I've never seen them badger anyone. They just sit messing around on their cells waiting for lunch or the end of the day. :D

Venefica
April 18th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Creeeeeeepy! That being said I am more creeped out that he was so insistent to play with your hair and that that elastic could have been everywhere than there being metal on it. Some of my elastics have metal on them and I have not been hurt by it.

Aleria
April 18th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Those hair stands are always very aggressive. I ended up with a pretty but nearly useless claw clip (it can barely hold a half-up) due to an aggressive old asian lady. I do love it but rarely wear it since it's so tiny and my hair is so thick.

dagonlilly
April 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM
LOL I know its not suppose to be funny but you have to giggle. I had a similar experience they had a stand set up and a guy was showing head massagers which looked like a metal spider. he went to put it on my uncle until i yelled out that it prob had lice on it . so now everyone one in the mall looked in horror. but seriously you cant just put stuff in peoples hair and not clean it gross

x0h_bother
April 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I hate those people...but i had a REALLY good experience with an Obey your Body rep. Pushy, yes, but they sold a great product and he was a polite-pushy- he had a way with words to make you want to try it (NOT HANDS!) :)

Hylia
April 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I understand its their job to sell things, but that seems way too pushy. Once I walked buy and a guy from a stand sprayed me with a bottle of very strong perfume. I got really pissed off because some people are allergic to perfume and you cant just spray people with stuff without their permission.

Schmoomunitions
April 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Those booth people are sooooo obnoxious, I WANT to look at the barrettes but the pushy lady badgering me makes me leave right away. Teenagers on the cell phones make better hostesses. HAHAHHAHA

monsterna
April 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I understand its their job to sell things, but that seems way too pushy. Once I walked buy and a guy from a stand sprayed me with a bottle of very strong perfume. I got really pissed off because some people are allergic to perfume and you cant just spray people with stuff without their permission.

I've always heard of that but luckily never had it done before.

Do they even think that the person might have on their own scent and they just covered it up by being an a******?? I seriously do not get those people, I don't care if their bosses make them do it. They have a choice to not be in that line of work. If you can get a job at a kiosk, you can get another minimum wage job at a place that DOESN'T require you to be a nuisance.

Aud200
April 18th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I HATE the hair kiosks that have all the flat irons set up and they practically beg you to let them straighten your hair...absolutely NOT.

Dragon
April 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
It’s good you stood up for yourself. I’m sorry that happened to you. I think it’s creepy how they will touch people they don’t no. When people at the stands tries to talk to me, I don’t look at them and keep on walking.

AnqeIicDemise
April 18th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I've actually bought some of my favorite forks and pins at one of these kiosks. I guess the huge difference was that the sales woman let me look at the stuff I wanted without bothering me and only offered help on demonstrating how to put things on when I turned to her with that big 'doe-eyed' look.

The *only* purchase I regret is the headband. All the pretty rhinestones make my hair tangle in it like mad. :(

I guess sales people feel my 'Back off!' vibe pretty well... and wouldn't dare cross me when DH is right behind me giving them the look of 'Seriously, dude, Back Off or your head is going to roll, compliments of the lady."

One glare is all it takes from me, I suppose.

|Xei
April 19th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Whenever people try to convince me to buy something I don't want, I'll just tell them I already bought one from them a week ago. Oh, the confusion on their faces :D

Venefica
April 19th, 2011, 04:36 AM
LOL I know its not suppose to be funny but you have to giggle. I had a similar experience they had a stand set up and a guy was showing head massagers which looked like a metal spider. he went to put it on my uncle until i yelled out that it prob had lice on it . so now everyone one in the mall looked in horror. but seriously you cant just put stuff in peoples hair and not clean it gross

I own five of these and I love them, they can also be used for alternative therapy as they stimulate the meridians. I once went to a New Age convention and I almost could not go because I had this intense pain in my shoulder and a killer headache, and it do take allot to make me consider missing a New Age convention. I sat down for a demonstration of the massage tool, as I always do even if I own several of them just because I think it is heaven to have them used on me, even if the one used for demonstration have been used on others, I told the seller about the pain in my shoulder and in my head. He used the device on my back, it felt like heaven and when he was done a few minutes later there was not a hint of pain. If I ever open up the alternative therapy practice that I desire then those spider like massage tools will probably be one of the methods I will work with, though I will clean mine between customers.

lastnite
April 19th, 2011, 04:58 AM
ha.. I wish there was a stand with hair toys here (minus the pushy sales guy). Here we have people with the straightening irons and they'll come at ya too...I usually have my hair up so they don't bother me :)... but then there are the skin care and nail stands where people will pull you over and start putting stuff on your hands and skin :mad:

noelgirl
April 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'm sure I've told my kiosk horror story before, but once, I was at the mall, on my way to meet up with my sister at a store. A lady comes up to me and grabs my hands and says, "Can I look at your hands?" I said, "Um, I think you already are." She gasps and makes some remark about the "signs of aging" on them (I was all of 24 at the time) and starts to drag me over to some giant microscope at her kiosk, so she can show me what a damaged specimen I am. I forcibly pulled my hands out of hers and said that I had to go, and left.

Also, the "can I ask you a question" guys downtown drive me nuts. They've been at it for years now, and I'm sure every girl in Chicago has heard their spiel hundreds of times. Does it ever still work? I've come to question whether they actually would notice if I had any hair to ask a question about - they've even come up to me when I've had my hair up and under a hat.

I do work in retail so I get wanting to make a sale, but badgering people who are clearly on their way somewhere else is just plain rude. People come into our store voluntarily, and I'll gladly help someone find what they're interested in, but there are boundaries that have to be respected.

Rebecca.1905
April 19th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I don't go to the mall much, but ours is very small and I don't think we have any of these kiosks there. I have a "thing" about being touched, and if some strange person at the mall grabbed me and tried to do something to my hair or put something on my skin, I would absolutely freak out. The only people I can stand touching me, particularly unexpectedly, are my children. They have free reign on hugs, snuggles, hand holding, or whatever they need. But other people... not so much.

The very idea of someone doing that is repulsive to me, and would most likely be reported to whatever company they work for. I just can't deal with that type of thing, and just don't see how it's even close to okay.

QMacrocarpa
April 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Is it just me, or are malls a lot chintzier than they used to be? I seem to recall them having nice things and polite salespeople, but the last mall I went to was full of obviously desperate salespeople pushing straight-up junk. Ick!
It's not just you! I go to malls quite rarely. Last week I was out running errands, and walked through part of a nearby swanky mall as variety from the sidewalk outside. Someone from a kiosk approached me, though I said "no, thanks" and she didn't pursue me. Still, the possibility of being accosted at the other kiosks totally made me feel like I needed to be sending out a "no panhandling" vibe, walking fast and avoiding eye contact. Why the mall owners are willing to let the presumably-intended-to-be-delightful mall experience be degraded in this way is a mystery to me.

eri401
April 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I am disturbed that a certain % of the responses here have made a specific point of the kiosk worker's race (or presumed foreignness). What bothers me even more is that these comments are off-hand without "meaning to be" racist in the conventional sense. Because of this, I'm sure I'll get attacked for even bringing it up because none of you are "racist" and blah blah. I just don't understand why any of that is even relevant. After all, if a white American stranger tried to mess with my hair, even after I explicitly said no, I'd be just as disturbed and I would NOT go out of my way to note that "a white American touched my hair."

Whatever.

Fingolphin
April 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I am disturbed that a certain % of the responses here have made a specific point of the kiosk worker's race (or presumed foreignness). What bothers me even more is that these comments are off-hand without "meaning to be" racist in the conventional sense. Because of this, I'm sure I'll get attacked for even bringing it up because none of you are "racist" and blah blah. I just don't understand why any of that is even relevant. After all, if a white American stranger tried to mess with my hair, even after I explicitly said no, I'd be just as disturbed and I would NOT go out of my way to note that "a white American touched my hair."

Whatever.

Well, you are right in that I am going to say that I am certainly not racist in any way. I only brought up the fact that the guy in my story was foreign because my wife couldn't undertand his accent very well (I understood it just fine; she's just not good with accents), making the already awkward and odd experience more humorous in that her responses to what she thought he was asking had nothing to do with what he actually was asking. So, the story could have been the same if my wife was, say, hard of hearing or something. The accent (or the guy being foreign) wasn't the problem. My wife's understanding of the accent was. And he was certainly white.

Loepsie
April 19th, 2011, 11:20 AM
A lady at the mall wanted to curl my hair today. I didn't even stop walking and basically yelled 'no, thanks' back at her. That's my strategy, lol xD

Fingolphin
April 19th, 2011, 12:17 PM
A lady at the mall wanted to curl my hair today. I didn't even stop walking and basically yelled 'no, thanks' back at her. That's my strategy, lol xD

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Venefica
April 19th, 2011, 12:33 PM
The only time race would be a point when it comes to such pushy sellers is that in some cultures it is far more acceptable to touch people, even strangers than it is here, and that is not a racist comment, it is so that many do things we find comfortable and do not mean any harm as it would be perfectly socially acceptable in the culture they are from.

GlassWidow
April 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I think it's more that there is a prejudice against the type of pushy selling that one tends to see from someone who runs a kiosk at a mall. I have a friend who supports her glassblowing habit by working in a mall trying to get people to buy windows. I avoid her like the plague when she's at work because in order to keep her job she has to be one of those pushy sellers...and she's my friend.

TheMechaGinger
April 19th, 2011, 01:51 PM
This happened to my friend once! This guy came at her with a hair curler/straightener thing and literally fried her hair with how hot that thing was. He straightened a section and then curled it so she had this goofy ringlet on top of her head for the rest of the time we were there. She was recovering from bleaching sections of it to put in different colors of manic panic and that guy made it so much worse. She told him no thanks but he did it anyway, we were both really shocked

ElvenArchess
April 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Yikes! That guy needs to learn about boundaries, I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. :mad: I can't stand how pushy some of those stand salesmen are. We have a few in my city's mall and I just put my hand up to stop them when they try to talk to me. It's nothing against the person, and I'm usually very friendly, but I refuse to get roped into a sales tactic. Ugh! And the ones who try to flirt with me make me even more annoyed!

[Long story...]
There are two stands I avoid at all costs in our mall: the one where they sell high-priced hair straighteners, and one that sells nail care products, and both of the people that work there are just dreadfully irritating. I made the mistake one time of walking by the flat iron salesman with one of my former friends (ironically enough, I stopped hanging out with her because she was whoring around with a ridiculous amount of guys and I couldn't stand the drama), and she immediately started flirting with him, so, me being her friend, she forced me to sit down next to her while he straightened our hair, meanwhile asking us to attend a party he was having; I replied "No. I don't go to strangers' apartments." :rolleyes:) It [I]steamed as he glided it down my hair, and when I voiced panic, he said "Don't worry, it's just releasing all of the natural oils from your hair." At the time I didn't know what that meant and found it oddly comforting, but if he tried that now I'd punch him right in the kidney! That flat iron was poison for my hair! Oh the nightmares!

monsterna
April 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
This happened to my friend once! This guy came at her with a hair curler/straightener thing and literally fried her hair with how hot that thing was. He straightened a section and then curled it so she had this goofy ringlet on top of her head for the rest of the time we were there. She was recovering from bleaching sections of it to put in different colors of manic panic and that guy made it so much worse. She told him no thanks but he did it anyway, we were both really shocked

There are two stands I avoid at all costs in our mall: the one where they sell high-priced hair straighteners, and one that sells nail care products, and both of the people that work there are just dreadfully irritating. I made the mistake one time of walking by the flat iron salesman with one of my former friends (ironically enough, I stopped hanging out with her because she was whoring around with a ridiculous amount of guys and I couldn't stand the drama), and she immediately started flirting with him, so, me being her friend, she forced me to sit down next to her while he straightened our hair, meanwhile asking us to attend a party he was having; I replied "No. I don't go to strangers' apartments." :rolleyes:) It [I]steamed as he glided it down my hair, and when I voiced panic, he said "Don't worry, it's just releasing all of the natural oils from your hair." At the time I didn't know what that meant and found it oddly comforting, but if he tried that now I'd punch him right in the kidney! That flat iron was poison for my hair! Oh the nightmares!

Bleh. This is freaking me out about growing my hair longer. Kind of scared of the idea of walking around with it loose, when that's one of the reasons I'm growing it anyway. If anyone like that ever tries to grab my hair and do anything to it, I'll probably go to jail for what I'd do. Don't literally boil a part of my body (dead or not!) and I won't mess your stupid face up. :D

cuddledumplin
April 19th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Ugh, I don't even look at those sort of places because they give you the hard sell so much, but I'm glad I don't now. I always seem to get asked if I want my straightened or that thing tried on my nails if I even look toward that centre aisle, so I don't even make any eye contact at anyone who works there. You know, I was thinking those straighteners and nail buffers couldn't be at all hygenic, and I was probably right.