PDA

View Full Version : Split end prevention?

Katahdin
June 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, I'm a new member here, but I've been lurking for a bit.

When I was younger, I was a tomboy, and had reaaally long hair, mostly because I didn't care enough to get it cut. It was a few inches above my butt, but the ends of it were totally fried, nothing but split ends and damage.

Now I'm a bit older, and care more about how I look. :lol:

I've cut off all the damage, and now my hair is about at the small of my back and looks waaay nicer and healthy.

How can I grow my hair to hip-bone length w/o getting horrible damage at the ends? I bought some leave-in split-end protector by Herbal Essence, and replaced my metal brushes with plastic and boar bristle brushes, but is there anything else I can do? After cutting my hair, I miss the length, but I want it to look good this time around =)

loves2spin
June 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Welcome! You will find a wealth of information and plenty of support on this site. Look around at the archives and articles. Here are a few basics:

1. Keep your hair put up a lot of the time to protect it.
2. Find out what shampoo/condish or other products your own hair "likes".
3. Don't brush anymore than you have to. Instead get a very wide toothed and smooth comb to detangle after washing.
4. Don't blow dry your hair.
5. Protect your hair from too much sun exposure or exposure to pool chemicals, as both of these things can dry your hair.
6. Use a satin pillowcase.
7. Be careful of any barrettes or other hair "toys" - be sure they don't damage your hair.
8. Always treat your hair gently.
9. Excellent nutrition makes a huge difference in the long run as does stress management.
10. Feel free to come to the Forum for answers and ideas!

Good luck to you! :-)

Raederle
June 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Welcome to LHC :waving:. Our own beloved Teacherbear has written a most excellent article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) on just this topic.

HairColoredHair
June 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Well, you have to consider things that lead to damage, like heat (curling irons, flat irons, blow dryers), dye (some dyes aren't damaging, but many can be), treatment (brushing harshly, brushing while wet, damaging hair accessories), or other damages (like catching on clothing, chairs, washing method, etc.)

Katahdin
June 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Wow, thanks so much guys! =)

frizzinator
June 15th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I'm guessing that wind might be the worst enemy of the ends of your hair. Wear your hair up to prevent wind damage. If you don't wear it up at least put it in a ponytail, hat, scarf or buff, in order to protect those ends from being blown around. If you live in New England, you probably ride in the car with the windows down during the summer. Remember riding in a boat is even worse for the ends of your hair than the car. Be sure to leave some ponytail elastics in the car just in case you find yourself without anything to contain your hair.

Cheap and easy forks you can make yourself are excellent toys with which you can make a quick updo for those car rides. Buy some double pointed metal knitting needles (they cost less than $1. each) and bend them in half with something like 3/4" between the prongs. You can put a towel over a doorknob, and bend the knitting needle in half over the skinny part that goes into the door. Two of these forks will hold just about any updo.

Here's a photo of me wearing a buff and a fork made from one of those bent double pointed knitting needles. The buff will cover my bun, but I just wanted to show the fork I made.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/5408022.jpg