PDA

View Full Version : Premature white hair!! Please help.

xoerincolleen
April 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM
So I'm 19 years old, and I have a LOT of white hairs on the side of my head, around the right temple. They started showing up about two years ago, but recently have become very noticeable. I usually wear my hair down and it doesn't show, but whenever I pull it back there is practically a big white streak! I don't want white hair at this age. I've never dyed it though, and was wondering if anyone might have an alternative or a natural way to cover the whites?

christine1989
April 17th, 2011, 11:05 PM
You could put a small amount of henna that matches your natural color just on that streak. I also hea that coconut oil can help prevent grays but I don't know if there is any truth to that.

AnqeIicDemise
April 17th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Either dye your hair like Christine99 adv, or learn to rock it.

I *wish* I'd gotten the same white lock of hair that runs in my family -- its usually along the temple (left or right, doesn't matter) or right in the center. Its like, a simple shock of white a la Mrs. Munster.

Know where *I* got mine when I turned 21?

My frockin' eyebrow. -sigh- I get so tired of people asking me or assuming that I've over tweezed or went happy with the eyebrow razor. No people, its the family heirloom!! (I don't always like to cover it up because the dye job never lasts. Darn terminal brow length. XD)

firicia
April 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I remember hearing a while back that grey hair tends to happen as we age and our stomach acid levels get lower so we absorb less vitamins. Although i think that is for grey everywhere...

My neighbor has a daughter with a white streak(maybe 5 years old), sometimes it happens when you have a trauma to that area of the scalp and little kids are always finding new ways to get hurt, hehe. I actually think it looks amazing.

I guess what I am trying to say in the end is... flaunt it:D If you're not comfortable you could try dye it somehow, it's totally up to you and what will make you happy. Best of luck!

Nastasia
April 17th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I say, learn to love the Rogue streak. Here's mine, which I've had since I was about your age (though it's gotten broader over the years):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6925&pictureid=91929

I've gotten plenty of compliments on it. People have seriously asked me if I dye it that way.

evampr18
April 17th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I 've had them since I was 9, I pull those little suckers right out.

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM
YEP *embrace it* with open arms be proud to have undyed natural hair ..

but then again you can dye it, if you want .. the choice is yours .. whatever you do look after your hair and it will look after you :-) do what makes you happy ..

MeganE
April 17th, 2011, 11:37 PM
My aunt got white/silver hairs in high school, and she hated it and my mom thought it was pretty.

I can see why that would make you self-conscious, but really, it is highly unusual and could definitely be something uniquely and wonderfully you.

Got any pics?

Mesmerise
April 17th, 2011, 11:40 PM
There's no one right answer for what to do, just what YOU choose to do. As others have said, you can embrace it, OR like many of us mere mortals do, you can dye it ;)

Right now in my life I'm not ready for grey or white hair, so I henna my hair. If you don't really want to change your colour though, you can experiment a bit with henna and cassia to see if you can get as close to your natural as possible, and using these will mean you're not chemically damaging your hair.

Now, I admire the heck out of anyone who decides to go au naturale and not colour, but it's a personal decision and not everyone is ready to go that route!

ElvenArchess
April 18th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Like someone said. Basically your only -natural- option is henna.

*Sigh of envy*

hanne jensen
April 18th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I got my first gray hairs at the age of 14! You can either henna for the next 30 years of your life or embrace it.

I've read the Readers Digest book of nutrition that a small deficiency in the B vitamin panthenol causes gray hair. Maybe a B vitamin supplement will stop further graying of your hair. It won't make your gray hairs go away, but it can prevent more gray hairs.

Firefox7275
April 18th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Often greys are just genetics or age, but there is some evidence that stress can encourage new hairs to lose their pigment. This does not have to be stressful life events; smoking, drinking, drugs (prescription or illicit), obesity, sleep deprivation, trans fats, sugars and other white carbohydrates can all stress the body out. :(

Health is rarely mediated by a single nutrient because they work synergistically or in opposition. If you think you may have a deficiency despite eating healthily it would be best to get a check-up by your doctor. Otherwise it's worth ensuring you meet your government's recommended intake of each food group; supplementation is not normally necessary and in some cases can be harmful.

Othala
April 18th, 2011, 02:31 AM
How about staining them blonde with chamomile tea or rhubarb?

oktobergoud
April 18th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Honestly?? I envy you! A white streak would be so awesome! :D Many people people bleach their hair to death to get it white, sometimes their whole head and sometimes just a streak.. and you already have it! To me, that's just awesome :)

jojo
April 18th, 2011, 02:57 AM
I say, learn to love the Rogue streak. Here's mine, which I've had since I was about your age (though it's gotten broader over the years):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6925&pictureid=91929

I've gotten plenty of compliments on it. People have seriously asked me if I dye it that way.

I love your silvers, they are really pretty and good for you for keeping them. I think theres nothing more attractive than somebody who shoves 2 fingers up to the norm and says this is me!

To the op I can understand how you feel, your 19 but take the aboves example, stand out from the crowd and be proud of who you are. Its either that or dye which will be a life long commitment. Either way I bet your silvers are pretty too:)

rogue_psyche
April 18th, 2011, 02:58 AM
My mom had a similar graying pattern. I wish I knew about cassia before she started chemical dying her whole head. She could have played off her incoming silvers as blonde highlights for a while.

Maybe cassia would work for you? The cassia page at Mehandi.com (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html) is a source of info and the herb itself.

xoerincolleen
April 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Thank you all so much for your advice! I am trying to embrace it, but it's tough! I think I'm going to hold out for a while and do some research on henna, cassia, and tea and see if any of those will work well for me. I really appreciate all of your help! :heart:

selderon
April 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Stacy London. Ever seen her white streak? Give yourself some time to think about it before you make a permanent commitment. In the meantime, you can always do temporary color (box, salon, cassia or tea).

gizelle
April 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Stacy London. Ever seen her white streak? Give yourself some time to think about it before you make a permanent commitment. In the meantime, you can always do temporary color (box, salon, cassia or tea).

This is exactly what I thought when I read this. I also just found a few whites and think that in a couple months I am going to have one of those streaks. My first impulse was to die it, but I decided to embrace it. They are completely white and I think it is like tinsel because it is so shiny.

wendyg
April 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM
The one thing I'd say is that having your hair go grey/white so young means no one who knows you will ever think you look old because you have grey/white hair. :)

It looks like your hair isn't that dark, so it actually may be less noticeable than you think.

wg

littlenvy
April 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I've heard that Amla oil and/or vitamin C prevents grays.
But I have no data or personal experience to suport that.

SpinDance
April 18th, 2011, 12:41 PM
One of my sons has always had a patch of white hair about 1/2 inch across above and behind his right ear. Ironically a man in a class we took had the same white patch in nearly the same place. He had red hair, and my son has very dark hair. My son also has some white haired patches on his legs. Not something really noticeable, but there if you look for it. The white patch in his hair is not really that visible unless his hair is very short. We don't yet know whether it will get larger as he gets older.

luluj
April 18th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I wish I had never started covering my silvers to begin with, they are what make me "ME" I spent far too much money and time on coloring my hair, not to mention the toxicity of most hair dyes. If you do decide to color, at home or at a salon, "definitely" do the skin allergy test first.

Anje
April 18th, 2011, 01:27 PM
If you're not ready to embrace it, what about getting some funky non-damaging hair dye like Manic Panic or Special Effects and change it an interesting color every few months? The dye will really take to the white hairs, and the whole look will be youthful and intentional.

fluffypuffy
April 20th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Sounds kind of fantastic to me :) . If it really bothers you, though, just break out the henna.

Lippytoes
April 20th, 2011, 03:42 AM
I can see how that might be bothersome at your age, but really, a white streak sounds cool. :)

(Reminds me of Polgara from David Eddings' Belgariad fantasy books - I used to love those when I was a teenager, and wished I had a white streak in my hair like she did!)