PDA

View Full Version : When you do heavy oil pre-wash, do you shampoo once or twice....

shikara
April 17th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Well, I'm sitting here doing a pre-wash soak in oil. I've done it before with FAR less oil (might have been one of my problems:rolleyes:). Now I have about two teaspoons of it and am wondering how I might tell whether one shampoo is enough. How do you shampoo after a pre-wash oil soak?

Sundial
April 17th, 2011, 09:59 PM
shikara!! Do a CO wash to get oil soaks out :p Slather conditioner over wet/dry hair and wait for 5-20 minutes (I usually do 15 minutes). Add a little bit of water and massage your scalp for a couple of minutes, then rinse it out.

The Conditioner Only wash works much better at removing oils than shampoo does

vanillabones
April 17th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I would like to know too for when I wash my monistat out the mornings after I put it in... I can't do CO method - I am a fine thiny and it makes my hair more greasy than I started with (no jokes), same with WO. I clarify once a week just in case. But I like the shampoo twice with the essential oils 'poo that I use after I oil but idk if that is enough... I'd think it should be?

Rafusen
April 17th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I agree with Sundial on using conditioner to wash out heavy oilings. I feel like if I use shampoo, I'll be undoing all my work with the oil. I like to use a cone-free conditioner for that though, and I use my coney conditioner for regular wash days.

growingpains
April 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
I did a heavy oil today before my wash. I put about a tablespoon of olive oil on my length only. I then put it in a bun and put a sock over it and let it sit for about five hours. Then I CO, but didn't wash the conditioner out for at least twenty minutes. Then I got back in the shower, rinsed, conditioned the length with a heavier conditioner and air dried. It's dry now and no oil residue :) I second that CO is effective to get rid of oil. However, I don't know if this would equally apply if you are putting oil on your roots as I never do this.

CaityBear
April 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I usually do HEAVY overnight oilings. I mean nice massage on scalp and saturate the length in oil. Usually in the mornings half of the oil is gone. Then I dilute conditioner to make it easier to apply then saturate my oiled hair with conditioner. Let it sit until I feel like showering (no less than half an hour. I usually leave it in for an hour) Then I hop in the shower, get it a bit wet and massage again and then put it up. Do the rest of my shower routine. Rinse the conditioner our very well while massage my scalp. Then to make sure I get it out I fill an empty bottle with water then add a tablespoon or so of conditioner with a drop or two of shampoo. Shake up then dump half of it on my hair, lifting the roots to make sure it gets to my roots, massage scalp and squish the length of my hair (I never rub or anything to avoid breakage) then I dump the rest of the conditioner water over my hair, massage and squish again then rinse out thoroughly.

And that's my routine! :D Works all the time. You don't have to do the last part with the conditioner/shampoo water but I like to do that just to make sure that I've gotten all the oil out. Usually I do just conditioner but this last time my hair didn't quite feel right (might've been because I rinsed with cool water and I haven't done that in a while...) so I did the last step.

I do definitely suggest the conditioner though. I find that if I use shampoo it just dries out my hair so the oil does nothing. Heck, that's why I do CO all the time. And that's why I add conditioner to my water with the shampoo. If I only put shampoo with the water even that will dry my hair out a bit.

gogirlanime
April 17th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I soak my hair in oil every night and in the morning I use about 1/2 more (example: if with a regular non-oil wash I use 1 tablespoon of shampoo, with oil I use 1 1/2 tablespoons) shampoo than I do with a normal non-oil wash. I scrub and scrub gently but over and over throughout my hair till I feel like I've touched over all the oil in my hair 2-3 times. One wash is all I need each time as long as I spend time using the shampoo well. Sometime if I miss a spot I will take a liiiiiiitle bit more shampoo and spot wash the area. That's my advice, double shampooing, yes it gets its cleaner and it's not greasy at all, but that's also more damage.

darklion
April 18th, 2011, 12:24 AM
hunh... good question. I did a heavy oiling tonight and washed my scalp with shampoo once. Usually I do it twice to make it super oil free, but I wanted to leave some of the oil in place for extra conditioning for the ends.
I conditioned as usual with my cone free conditioner... just a quickie in the shower. However, it feels like I still have a nice coating of oil in my hair. (yeah! that means no tangles)

Aveyronnaise
April 18th, 2011, 03:21 AM
I actually oil so heavily that i can was twice with my very gentle shampoo and sometimes still have lots of left over oil. I also pre condition the ends for about 30mins or an hour before to help remove the oil.
I oil overnight and wrap my hair in a cotton jersey headwrap to sleep. I do this weekly and my hair is looking uber shiny.

Phexlyn
April 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM
CO washing after oiling doesn't work for me (or maybe I'm doing it wrong).

Can you shampoo once, then rinse and check what your hair feels like? My hair feels different when it's clean versus when it's still oiled. Then you can decide whether to shampoo again or not. That said, it depends on the cleaning strength of your shampoo as well, so if it's a very mild shampoo I'd rather use it twice.

Chiara
April 18th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I put heaps of conditioner straight onto dry hair (with oil in it) and leave it there for around 15 minutes, then add a bit of water, lather up and rinse. THEN I shampoo the scalp. I find that this works better then just shampooing, and is not as harsh as two shampoos.

PolythenePam
April 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM
I do a heavy oiling overnight once a week. I also put conditioner on the dry hair-with oil in it-and let it sit and breakup the oil for about 15min. It rinses away without a problem for me.