PDA

View Full Version : "You never do anything with your hair..."

Ella Menneau P.
April 17th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm sick of hearing this! My hair is at tailbone, and a friend suggested that shoulder length was so much more versatile (Can you guess how long her hair is?) but can she do:

English braid (single or twin)
French braid (single or twin)
Rope braid (single or twin)
Dutch Braid (single or twin)
Sock bun (traditional)
Sock bun (Loepsy's style)
Lazy wrap bun
Lazy wrap with some pulled over & secured
Nautilus bun
Barrel roll
Figure 8/infinity bun
Cinnabun
braided cinnabun
half-up
Chinese bun
Braided chinese bun
Rennaissance bun
Odango bun
Fish bone
bee butt bun
loose & straight
loose with braid waves.....
?

I've done all these styles within the last 6 months. This doesn't even take into account all the different toys I use. So what gives? I don't think it's jealousy, though. I think that she never actually looks at the back of my head.

It's funny, when I first joined here my hair was about BSL, and I couldn't understand all the weird things members reported experiencing. Now that my hair is, apparently, freakishly long, people are more than happy to make jerks of themselves with comments like "you never do anything with your hair.":rolleyes:

julliams
April 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I personally find shoulder length hair is very difficult to style. About the only thing I could do very well was a peacock twist but that was about it. I'm so much happier with what I have now (waist). I think what she was really saying is "why don't you have hair like mine?". She may have been referring to the washing and styling of it (ie heat styling).

growingpains
April 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I dunno, my hair at shoulder length can't do much style wise. I mean sure it can go in a bun and all but it's puny and doesn't hold as well. The only 'plus', if you can call it that, was that I could blow fry and straighten my hair daily or more and see no visible damage. It's only at BSL+ that heat damage on me starts to show.

So maybe she is referring to the ease of wearing down?

Either way- no need to listen to her! People just tend to mind certain lengths weird as they are not the norm. That doesn't detract from the fabulousnes of your length though:)

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Well, shoulder length is so versatile because you can straight it or curl it! Amazing! :rolleyes:

Yes, I've gotten that comment. But I like my daily cinnabun.

Miss Catrina
April 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Is she crazy? My hair is around shoulder/APL, and let me tell you, getting it to do ANYTHING is an ordeal.

gogirlanime
April 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I see both perspectives. I think what she meant by that is something that isn't constricted. Something that's not a bun, braid, up-do, etc. I think she meant wear your hair half down, or down, or pig tails, pony tail, etc. This is the one disadvantage of having really long hair, you have to protect it all the time to keep the length which means not being able to do some styles.

This is one thing about SOME people who have long long hair that makes me wonder and I don't get it. SOME never wear their hair in something other than a bun. I understand you want to protect it to keep the length, but why have the length if you're never gonna show it off. I'm not saying all the time, but every now and then like once every two weeks. A bun loots pretty much the same (other than how big it is) no matter what you length is. So you might as well not put in the effort to have really really long hair if all you're gonna do is put it up in a bun everyday.

RitaCeleste
April 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I always wear my hair down or in a barrette. I get that question all the time. No one, including me, liked the last three haircuts I bought. I just tell people I haven't had any better ideas. Lately, I just tell them I'll probably keep it trimmed to the waist when it gets there. If they start to really nag, I start telling them I want it to be blue and then purple and then maybe brown, then red again. Suddenly my lack of style seems so much better than my idea of an improvement. The really important thing is, I do my hair for me. I don't do it for the guys, I don't do it for the girls. I have to live with it and I want to be happy.

Jenn of Pence
April 17th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Well, I suppose to the untrained eye there's no difference between your multitude of gorgeous 'dos. So, if the only thing you do is "up," then I guess, indeed, you "never do anything with your hair?" :doh:

Jenn of Pence
April 17th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I see both perspectives. I think what she meant by that is something that isn't constricted. Something that's not a bun, braid, up-do, etc. I think she meant wear your hair half down, or down, or pig tails, pony tail, etc. This is the one disadvantage of having really long hair, you have to protect it all the time to keep the length which means not being able to do some styles.

This is one thing about SOME people who have long long hair that makes me wonder and I don't get it. SOME never wear their hair in something other than a bun. I understand you want to protect it to keep the length, but why have the length if you're never gonna show it off. I'm not saying all the time, but every now and then like once every two weeks. A bun loots pretty much the same (other than how big it is) no matter what you length is. So you might as well not put in the effort to have really really long hair if all you're gonna do is put it up in a bun everyday.

Well.....for many of us, it's about so much more than what other people can look at. It's about the fact that we have long hair and how that makes us feel as individuals. The hairstyles we do to manage our hair are often practical...sometimes it's just for protection, but sometimes it's also for showing off, too, because we're proud of it (even if others don't care). But that's just my opinion (and some others' opinion as well); there are multiple perspectives. Ergo, the "why have long hair if you just wear it up" debate continues on. :)

Quezie
April 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I'd ask her what she means, then list off the things that you do, indeed, do with your hair. :b

People aren't satisfied unless you're chopping it, frying it with heat, or throwing it into some messy bun that was supposed to look like it took you 20 seconds but actually took you half an hour and a buttload of backcombing. XD

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 09:39 PM
that is so, so, so crazy !! I can bet she has never done anything with her hair .. as you say she probably hasn't looked at the back of your head, so perhaps over the few times that you see her, with your differant buns, braids, toys, etc point them out then maybe she will begin to understand that you do, in fact do something with your hair, more than she does ..

it has long been a myth that you can't do anything with long hair !! I've heard it over the years (I've never had long hair) but you can't really do anything with shorter hair either (BSL) so unless you apply heat, rollers, gels, mousse and sprays, no matter your length, including pixie, you can't do anything with it anyway !!!! *sigh* so it brings us to ... tadah .. drumroll please, the longer your hair is the more you can do with it .. excluding heat and yadda yadda .. :-)

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 09:42 PM
lol, I'm reading the other resposes, I see I am not alone, lol :-)

Sundial
April 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Well, I suppose to the untrained eye there's no difference between your multitude of gorgeous 'dos. So, if the only thing you do is "up," then I guess, indeed, you "never do anything with your hair?" :doh:

I believe it could be a case of her being unable to differentiate the buns. Has your friend had short hair forever?

I am new to long hair and to be honest, it took me forever to understand all the youtube videos I watched. The way of doing different buns all looked the same to me and I couldn't grasp the technique. I was probably into my 20th-something video on how to do a Lazy Wrap Bun before it suddenly clicked :o

No one in my family notices my different buns; they only notice when I use a new hairtoy.

ETA: Even now, I still can't differentiate between the different buns that I see in the Hair Toy Addict thread and the Wear All My Hair Toys Once thread. I can only point out cinnamon buns and Lazy Wrap Buns :o

christine1989
April 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I tried to do stuff with my shoulder length hair but I could never manage to keep it in any kind of style for longer than 10 minutes. Unfortunatly I'm currently in the midback area between BSL and waist where I can't do much but anywhere beyond waist has a world of options.

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 09:57 PM

I'm scared now of having my hair down in most places unless it's away from mechanical dangers or fire, that's why i keep it up. Also because it's doing so much better with the splits in buns and braids. Honestly, i'll only show it off in random formal events and performances. Or if i'm way too lazy to move my arms up :p

Aleria
April 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Ugh, having had BSL-ish hair my whole life, and then chopping to about chin, I definitely disagree. I miss my long hair some days for having the option of putting it up! (I was so excited when I could get it into a ponystub)

racrane
April 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I understand her question, but honestly, I have shoulder length hair and I'm so glad it's getting longer because I can do more with it. There's not that much to do with shorter hair. I like when I had long hair to be down, though. I hate my hair to be up. But there's so many things to do with long hair, unless you don't know how to style!

ElvenArchess
April 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Unimaginative minds... :p Oh the things you long-haired's can do.

kielrain
April 17th, 2011, 10:47 PM
That is crazy. I am growing my hair out so I can finally DO something with it again.

kwaniesiam
April 17th, 2011, 10:50 PM
To many people, "up", is one style. They don't notice the differences in types of buns.

I can attest that short hair doesn't do a single thing but look like the cut it was done in. Sure, you can play with product to mess it up a bit but it's still the same style whether you add accessories or not.

Lianna
April 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Comparing to long hair, shoulder length doesn't have as many options, of course. But it isn't limited to just "leaving it down", with a little effort and reasearch quite a bit of styles can be done.

If I was to complain about a certain length and hairstyles would be chin and up, now then I couldn't do much.

About your friend, she just might prefer the look of hair down, even if it's shorter. I used to be like this.

tanya222
April 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM
(I was so excited when I could get it into a ponystub)

Aw I like your term 'ponystub' instead of ponytail! And you're right, that's exactly what it looked like for me when I grew it out from pixie length. I was so happy I could put it up, at least then I had the option! When it's short your options are 'au naturel' and 'pile on product & tousle to try a lame attempt at making it look different'! (I tried heat-styling back then, but my hair won't hold a curl for anything!)

And Ella, I am in envy at your list of styles you do! Impressive! I either can't figure out some of those braids or my silly arms won't stay up long enough to do them:p

gogirlanime
April 17th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Well.....for many of us, it's about so much more than what other people can look at. It's about the fact that we have long hair and how that makes us feel as individuals. The hairstyles we do to manage our hair are often practical...sometimes it's just for protection, but sometimes it's also for showing off, too, because we're proud of it (even if others don't care). But that's just my opinion (and some others' opinion as well); there are multiple perspectives. Ergo, the "why have long hair if you just wear it up" debate continues on. :)
I guess this means that it depends on why you are growing your hair out in the first place. Me, I'm one who does things to show off, that doesn't mean that I do it all for others, I always chose styles that I want. For me though, it's about flaunting your assets, I don't see the point in having them and not showing it's full potential in all forms (buns, braids, down, ponytail, every style). So I guess it just depends on why we are growing our hair out :D I can understand the other side, just having the pride and joy of knowing your hair is that long even if you don't show off the length all the time.

it has long been a myth that you can't do anything with long hair !! I've heard it over the years (I've never had long hair) but you can't really do anything with shorter hair either (BSL) so unless you apply heat, rollers, gels, mousse and sprays, no matter your length, including pixie, you can't do anything with it anyway !!!! *sigh* so it brings us to ... tadah .. drumroll please, the longer your hair is the more you can do with it .. excluding heat and yadda yadda .. :-)

I disagree, I do agree that with longer hair you have more options, but you also have less options. With every length of hair you have more so DIFFERENT options. I've had a cut that was almost pixi (about 1 1/2 inches) before and yes I couldn't do all sorts of braids, buns, and toys but I would do these:

-Wear it curly
-Wear it straight
-Spike it up
-Flare out the ends (for a kinda "mushroom" look)
-Put it all in a bunch of little pony tails
-Spike it out
-Gel it back

As you said and I refine it more "the longer your hair is the more you can do with it WITHOUT products/machines" But almost all length of hair allows you do have multiple styles. As you can see I just showed you 7 pixi styles that I know of, their could be more. Just saying.

Lianna
April 17th, 2011, 11:27 PM
How nice of you to list some styles for pixie hair, gogirlanime! That was quite interesting to me because back then I didn't know what to do with mine. If anyone needs ideas for shoulder length, this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66644) covers it quite well. Now we can stop saying "I can't do anything with my shoulder length hair". :)

ETA: I wanted to add that you can dutch braid your bangs in a longish pixie, I think it looks quite nice.

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 11:49 PM
And Ella, I am in envy at your list of styles you do! Impressive! I either can't figure out some of those braids or my silly arms won't stay up long enough to do them:p

LOVE this response !!! :-)

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I guess this means that it depends on why you are growing your hair out in the first place. Me, I'm one who does things to show off, that doesn't mean that I do it all for others, I always chose styles that I want. For me though, it's about flaunting your assets, I don't see the point in having them and not showing it's full potential in all forms (buns, braids, down, ponytail, every style). So I guess it just depends on why we are growing our hair out :D I can understand the other side, just having the pride and joy of knowing your hair is that long even if you don't show off the length all the time.

I disagree, I do agree that with longer hair you have more options, but you also have less options. With every length of hair you have more so DIFFERENT options. I've had a cut that was almost pixi (about 1 1/2 inches) before and yes I couldn't do all sorts of braids, buns, and toys but I would do these:

-Wear it curly
-Wear it straight
-Spike it up
-Flare out the ends (for a kinda "mushroom" look)
-Put it all in a bunch of little pony tails
-Spike it out
-Gel it back

As you said and I refine it more "the longer your hair is the more you can do with it WITHOUT products/machines" But almost all length of hair allows you do have multiple styles. As you can see I just showed you 7 pixi styles that I know of, their could be more. Just saying.

ah yes I know that .. if you read after you bolded what I said I was saying without heat and gels and sprays and stuff .. all those styles involve all that ..

ETA: most of us here don't want to use heat .. are giving up the damaging hair products ..

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
It's funny, the other day my sister said something about chopping her hair off cause "it's just hard to do much with it when it's long apart from straighten it" lol. Her hair's about APL I think, and she was going to chop it into a pixie or so. I wanna know WHAT you can do with a pixie that makes it more versatile than long hair! (And yeah, I do know you can do stuff with a pixie, but the last time I saw my sister with hair that short it errm looked the same every single day lol).

I find it fascinating that she thinks this way, because usually when I see her she's got her hair done in braids, or a single braid, or something else... so I mean... she DOES do more with it than she ever did when it was really short.

Oh well ;) I just sort of ignore it when people say stuff like that because I know you can do a lot with long hair, and long hair is also super pretty (at least to me... I don't care less about other people's opinions on the attractiveness of long hair)!

Aleria
April 18th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Aw I like your term 'ponystub' instead of ponytail! And you're right, that's exactly what it looked like for me when I grew it out from pixie length. I was so happy I could put it up, at least then I had the option! When it's short your options are 'au naturel' and 'pile on product & tousle to try a lame attempt at making it look different'! (I tried heat-styling back then, but my hair won't hold a curl for anything!)

I call it a ponystub because the darned thing sticks straight out, it looks ridiculous! But at least I can get it up and out of my way, especially useful during the hot summer that's coming soon... and I can rag curl it at this length, but it shortens up to about ear length and looks... either very young or completely stupid. So although having short hair is fun for a bit, I much preferred long simply for versatility, and I know that with my thick hair, once/if I get past BSL it'll be even more versatile.

Justy
April 18th, 2011, 12:46 AM
One of the main reasons I am growing my hair longer is so that I can do more with it. Between Chin and Shoulder length there were very few options. I am looking forward to longer braids and trying buns once I get past my shoulders.

hanne jensen
April 18th, 2011, 12:57 AM
BSL to tailbone in 2 years? C'mon tell us your secret! And by the way, how long is your friend's hair when she can do all those updos?

I remember when I had shoulder length hair. All I could do with it was smack it up in a sock bun. I had to use about 8 small clippie thingies to hold all my flyaway hairs up. I wore my hair like this for about 6 months. I was so tired of sock buns!

Keep your tailbone length hair and beyond if that's what you want.

2 years? Are you a petite lady, or do you just have fantastic hair growth?

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM
BSL to tailbone in 2 years? C'mon tell us your secret! And by the way, how long is your friend's hair when she can do all those updos?

I remember when I had shoulder length hair. All I could do with it was smack it up in a sock bun. I had to use about 8 small clippie thingies to hold all my flyaway hairs up. I wore my hair like this for about 6 months. I was so tired of sock buns!

Keep your tailbone length hair and beyond if that's what you want.

Hmm I don't know... my hair grows only a very average rate, and yet I think I could get BSL to tailbone in two years (with non-damaged hair though) by pretty much just growing and growing and not trimming. For me BSL to tailbone is about 12" (approximately) so that'd be 6" of hair growth a year!

FoxRain
April 18th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Well if you don't really look at them I think all buns and braids look the same to the "untrained" eye. She probably only sees that you bun or braid it.
When she says "do something else" I'm sure she means taking it down and heat curling or flattening it. That and ponytail it are about the only things you can do at her length I think.

silkheart
April 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM
And here I am, waiting for my hair to get as long as yours to do all those hairstyles you speak of. :P I hate shoulder length. You can do whatever you want with your hair. People used to complain about how I never put up my hair. I just didn't like it that way. I don't tell others to do their hair a way they don't like. Sheesh! But now after seeing some really cool hairstyles to do with long hair, I've changed my mind about the up-dos. ;)

Toadstool
April 18th, 2011, 01:54 AM
LOL The longest I have had my hair is APL and my mother was always complaining I didn't do anything with it because I DIDN'T put it up!

Syaoransbear
April 18th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Maybe she meant to say something like, "You never do anything TO your hair", as in no heat styling, no dying, no drastic new hair cuts, no hair spray, no teasing, all that stuff you can't do to long hair because of the damage it would cause. In that case, short hair is more versatile because you can do more unhealthy things to it.

Plus, most people don't look at the back of your head. Whether it's braided, bunned, or in a pony tail, it doesn't matter because all people see is that it's 'up'.

Ella Menneau P.
April 18th, 2011, 07:34 AM

It may have been a little longer than BSL when I started, and I am assuming that tailbone means about at the level of the vertical smile.:p And yes, I think I do have fantastic growth because I (ahem) don't DO anything to my hair!

Come to think of it, another good friend of mine tells me the same thing (that I never do anything) and it's just crazy! Are people really that unobservant? I notice every time she changes her hair color or gets a trim. Maybe people don't perceive change because we aren't at the salon every six weeks.

And don't get me started about the gray comments--you can't even see mine (I have a ton) because I don't color, so there isn't that awful contrast with the roots, and Surprise! I like my grays!

I'm so glad I found the LHC--all y'all are the best!:cheese:

elbow chic
April 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
People are dumb. (is that a quality post?)

I'm always amazed at the utterly unsolicited hair advice people give. Especially people with hair you couldn't pay me to be seen with in public. :D

Chamy
April 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM

Why cut your toenails if you are gonna have your shoes on?

I wear my hair in a bun because i LIKE it. And i want to have long hair because i want to be able to do more updos, with bigger buns, not to show it off. I do it for ME because I want to, not because i want other people to accept my choice of hairstyle.

Ella Menneau P. keep it going, and do what you feel comes natural to you. :)
Elbow chic, i totally agree with you!

Tressie
April 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I've had a similar experience with a very sweet young person. She asked how long my bunned hair was, and I told her. She said she'd had longer hair before, I think, then she said with emphasis: "I like to STYLE (maybe she said "fix") mine"! I just smiled or nodded or said "yes". I didn't pursue the conversation, but I think I got her point. (o;

Marianne
April 18th, 2011, 09:14 AM
I wear my hair in a bun because i LIKE it. And i want to have long hair because i want to be able to do more updos, with bigger buns, not to show it off. I do it for ME because I want to, not because i want other people to accept my choice of hairstyle.

Exactly! This has always been one of the things that bugs me on hair boards. I'm not much of an updo person, but can completely understand that someone else would want to grow their hair for that purpose. And even if I couldn't understand it, what business is it of mine why someone else has long hair (or anything else) and what they do with it anyway?

RitaCeleste
April 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
UG! I totally like my hair down. I can barely do a passable ponytail. By the time I get it to look done its too tight for comfort. If my hair stops growing at the waist or has plenty of short broken hairs mixed in, so be it! I don't get wearing it up but many people in my family have for years. (Granted they were 80 and braiding their bun right on, but that's how they did it. They didn't do short, blue fluff). I don't like my natural hair the color or the texture. I don't get stressed because other people protect their hair or want a different look than me though. I look at what I can and want to do and work with what I have. There are things you couldn't pay me to do with my hair. I think its impossible not to have an opinion. Its slightly annoying when people think their opinion is so superior though. :D

dollface
April 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
untrue and rude to boot. my hair is a tiny bit past my shoulders and doing anything with it other than a ponytail (not for me), messy bun, or twisting and clipping it up is beyond my hairs capacity.

telegraph64
April 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM

I disagree. A bun can look the same, however what height you place the bun, how tight the bun is, how loose the surrounding hair is (i.e. covering the ears a bit), and a number of other differences can change the look of a bun entirely, regardless of it's size or how long the hair in question is. That is my two cents.

Kherome
April 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
It may have been a little longer than BSL when I started, and I am assuming that tailbone means about at the level of the vertical smile.

No, that would be BCL not TBL. TBL is at the bottom of the tailbone, as in the end of the spine, which usually falls about 2, or 2.5 inches below BCL.

racrane
April 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I read the whole thread and came to this opinion: you can never please everyone, so make sure you're happy with your hair. If someone doesn't like it....it's not their hair.

Ella Menneau P.
April 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM

I have 2 words for you: Hair Toys.:cheese:

Jenn of Pence
April 19th, 2011, 10:05 PM
ah yes I know that .. if you read after you bolded what I said I was saying without heat and gels and sprays and stuff .. all those styles involve all that ..

ETA: most of us here don't want to use heat .. are giving up the damaging hair products ..

But if you keep short hair (say, SL or above) you don't care about damage you might cause with heat and products because you're always keeping it trimmed. I guess, in a way, that does give a few more options for shorter hair. I'm still sticking with long hair, though. :cheese:

agoddess2die4
April 20th, 2011, 12:53 AM
When I was 18 or 19 I worked in an office and had hair a couple inches below bra strap and my boss (who I'd known for years because my mom worked there since I was little) kept pushing me to cut my hair because I should have more grown up hair and long hair isn't a "style" and it's for children. In her mind you're longest hair shouldn't be an inch or two past your shoulders and it should have a styled look to it, like hers. She had overdyed, heavily producted, styled, and layered hair. Apparently long layered hair with multiple highlights (natural brown base, black underneath with blond and red highlights) didn't count as a style. I gave in and got a bob, which I regretted (though I did it again a couple years later and am growing it out still. lol) because it made me look like an adorable 12-year-old. I never get called "cute" with long hair, only with short hair. It's funny how so many people insist that long hair is child-like when I look more child-like with short hair. not sure if that's the case with everyone though. Darn pudgy cheeks making me all youthful looking. ;)

Bene
April 20th, 2011, 01:02 AM
About 10 of the things on that list fall under the category of "bun" and, seen from the front, there's no difference. And from behind, the only people who can actually see a difference between buns are people who have a specific interest in buns.

I actually love buns, but to be perfectly honest, I don't see how one bun is different from any other in any significant way. I've been told that I really can't do anything with long hair, and I tend agree, but I happen to like it that way, so my answer is always "....and?"

KatiSasha
April 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Shoulder length hair (which is mine right now) is a huge pain! Especially for someone with wavy hair - if you don't put a ton of product in it - it looks like a puffy mess. As far as hairstyles, the layers make it impossible to do most that were mentioned. Yay! for long healthy hair - it's a worthy cause and I shall get there in a couple of years :)

It's better to have long hair in a bun than shoulder length in a disarray or coated with cones and straightened to death, which is what I see the most.

elbow chic
April 20th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Most people, regardless of hair length, do the same couple of styles over and over again. When mine was SL and layered, I did either air-dried waves or blow-fried straight.

Sometimes I'd go hog-wild and do a half-up. Yay, exciting!!

I can understand how to most people any updo is just a bun/braid/whatever, but who cares? Whose hair is it, anyway?

That's what I'd be asking her.

Misti
April 20th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Hmmm. That's an interesting take, gogirlanime.

I keep my hair long for me. I like the way my hair looks "up" and I consider my hair very personal and private. I only wear it down around people I love and trust, as a rule. To me, wearing my hair down is a lot like wearing very revealing clothes. It's not that I won't ever do it, but the circumstances have to be very, very special. ;)

Roseate
April 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I think that she never actually looks at the back of my head.

This.

Most people don't even register what's going on behind your head. If your hair is up, it's up: they don't think much past that.

I have one or two hair-loving friends who always check out my buns/braids/twists with interest, but 99.9% of people just don't care about updos, or hairtoys. I like them, though; sounds like you do too. Enjoy, just don't expect 'civilians' to get it: they won't.

Amraann
April 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I pretty much have 3 styles.
Down, a pony tail and a little clip that I clip just the front with.
Oh and on a hot day I will put it into a simply bun. So make that 4 styles.

I have gotten the "you do nothing with your hair" comment.
To which I wonder "why the heck do you care as I am not here to decorate your world"
What is exactly is it they wish I do with MY hair?
Recently at a friends house her 15 yo daughter was about salivating at the notion that she should crimp my hair and douse it with hair spray.
She did not say that I did nothing with my hair but it was clear that she felt my hair should fried and frosted with hair spray and that not to do so was some type of fail on my part.
You can imagine how she was raised and the terrible things my friend does to her hair (which BTW is not even shoulder length after 20 years of frying it)
Little miss 15 yo must have offered no less then 5 times to either crimp or curl my hair.
I really just had to nicely explain that no such thing was going near my hair.

BTW I do do things with my hair... Like wash with conditioner or WEN and S&D it.
I even color it.
In my experience short hair is harder to care for (at least for me) The only way to tame it when short would have involved heat and sprays.

pepperminttea
April 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
So you might as well not put in the effort to have really really long hair if all you're gonna do is put it up in a bun everyday.

But here's the thing; it's not your hair. ;)

squiggyflop
April 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
ive gotten this comment before.. but to be fair i wear the same hairstyle basically every day.. beebutt bun held tightly by an elastic

AshNight1214
April 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I think she's thinking that you should be able to do more with your hair than she can simply because it's longer. Maybe you should leave it down the next few times you see her. Then she can see what it looks like when you actually don't do anything with it! :D

gogirlanime
April 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Why cut your toenails if you are gonna have your shoes on?

Ella Menneau P. keep it going, and do what you feel comes natural to you. :)
Elbow chic, i totally agree with you!

I cut them cuz if I don't I can't fit into my shoes... haha Just remember I was asking a question and I also said I just don't understand it in MY mind. Then, like you said, you explained to me why you like it up. Again, in just my opinion for ME, doing it for MYSELF I would like to wear it down and I'm not bashing anyone I'm just curious because in MY mind I don't see the point of wearing it up all the time if you have such beautiful length. I respect that you do it for yourself and you wear it the way you like, and so do I. The question was aimed at why do you wear it up for YOURSELF only up and not down, in MY mind, I see not point to that but still respect your decision on that.

I disagree. A bun can look the same, however what height you place the bun, how tight the bun is, how loose the surrounding hair is (i.e. covering the ears a bit), and a number of other differences can change the look of a bun entirely, regardless of it's size or how long the hair in question is. That is my two cents.

I respect your opinion and agree, buns do look different depending on length, my point was just that I can barely see a difference, so NOT BASHING ON ANYONE but my OPINION is just why have your hair an extra 2-3 feet long if the results of putting it up everyday are gonna look (ALMOST) exactly the same. I am also specifically talking about women who just do a standard wrap-around bun and nothing else. I have a friend who does that style EVERY DAY and has been for years. She literally does nothing with it, and I don't see the point. And yes I know what some of you are going to reply, "I just like the pride of knowing my hair is long" or "because I just want it long" or "because I see the difference" or "I do wear it down sometimes and see the difference" etc etc. I respect those decisions and understand, I guess I'll just never get it because we have a different state of mind :)

Hmmm. That's an interesting take, gogirlanime.

I keep my hair long for me. I like the way my hair looks "up" and I consider my hair very personal and private. I only wear it down around people I love and trust, as a rule. To me, wearing my hair down is a lot like wearing very revealing clothes. It's not that I won't ever do it, but the circumstances have to be very, very special. ;)

Very very interesting, I never thought of hair like that. You and I just have a different take on things. I'm very flamboyant, sexual, and love fashion so I'm all about flashing off my hair down, where as with you it's almost like you are over-exerting your sexuality when you wear your hair down... interesting.

But here's the thing; it's not your hair. ;)

Once again, I just asked a question for those who do do this, I wasn't critiquing, what you do with your hair is your choice, I just didn't get it until I got some replies. I know it's not my hair, but I just wonder WHY have the length and just wear it up, like I said in my reply above yours ^ I wear my hair down to be sexy and I just find it useless to wear it up all day. We all have different reasons and feelings about why we grow our hair out. I just asked this question because over the years I've just never understood why people with long hair will do a wrap-around style EVERY DAY and never do anything with it. But I guess for some it's just the pride of knowing that their hair is long even if they don't show it off. Still doesn't make sense to me, but I respect and semi-understand that decision.

Lianna
April 27th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Maybe if my hair looked great always down, never damp (it bothers be when down), the weather was always mild and I didn't get tangles or damage at all from wearing it down, I'd do it. :p

My reality is hot humid weather all year long, so I need to wash/wet everyday (there it does the "never damp"), it doesn't always look great, I get tangles...

Remyy
April 27th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think I mostly wear my hair up because I'm a.) Lazy and b.) protection. Once my hair gets to my goal length (waist) then I'll probably wear it down a tonnn more because I won't be tying to grow it, rather I'll simply be trimming the damaged ends. It's much easier to maintain a length than grow it, so yeah, thats my reason for keeping my hair up often.

Also, as part of my "growing process" I don't wash my hair often, so keeping my hair up allows me to go another day without washing it before it gets too oily.

DoubleCrowned
April 27th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Gogirlanime,
I always wear my long hair up in public. Here is why:
1. I look good in a short haired look, but short hair gets oily too fast
2. Short hair flattens before noon on me; looks pitiful
3. Short hair is expensive to care for because of need to keep it cut
4. I can't control my cowlicks (4) when my hair is short
5. Long hair up stays out of my eyes and work
6. More variations in style are possible with long hair up than with very short hair
7. Long hair up is easier for me to keep looking nice all day. Put it up; forget it.
8. For very special occasion, long hair down is dramatic option.
9. I love the feel of long hair on my back when I am getting dressed
10. I am long-haired at heart; have been since childhood.

Desideira
April 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM
I love long hair and short hair. I think everyone deserve to do waht feels best and most comfortable for them. I woudl never feel good in pixie but i know girls that looks absolutly great in this style. I always say ...whatever makes you happy..:cheese:

I think long hair is more veristile.

my goal is tailbone but I have a big problem. after reaching bsl i started experiecing migrenes when i war my hair up:(. Even ponytail after few hours makes mi feel some neck ternsion. I am afraid taht i wll not be able to have longer hair?

Is there way to prevent it? is it just a matter of time?:(

wvgemini
April 28th, 2011, 05:52 AM
I think you can get into a style rut at any length. I also think there are creative ways to style at (nearly) any length! I have to say though, I'm jealous if your friend can do a lazy wrap with SL hair :p Mine is a bit past shoulder and I still can't do that one!