PDA

View Full Version : i got that rude reply about my goal

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 08:25 PM
So we were having dinner before prom, and suddenly my best friend and i started speaking of her hair and how super thick it is.Our friends dad tells me, "oh in 15 years you wont worry about. You'll be married and other stuff. Plus, you'll probably be bald."
And i say, "oh so sad if i do become bald, all my hard work to get to my goal of extreme long hair..."
And he responds, "Well that's a shallow goal. Unless it was something meaningful like you were going to donate it or something, i could see that. That's a shallow goal."

All the while i just smiled and ate some spaghetti. :):cheese:
I'm probably not going to be bald and neither will i donate :)

This is the first time i've gotten that comment of my goal face to face, has anyone else gotten rude comments on your hair goals or were there nice one's? Most people that heard i want to grow terminal seem to not like the idea :p Poor them

rogue_psyche
April 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Does he also think that a goal of being wealthy is shallow, and that everyone should donate their fortune once they accumulate it?

growingpains
April 17th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Wow, that's an inappropriate comment to make. Totally uncalled for and unsupportive. Caring for your hair is a lovely hobby and it in no way detracts from your quality of character. I personally am extremely committed to social justice and to making a difference in the world. Yeah and I happen to like long hair and the idea of growing mine long. That says NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING about who I am as a person and it in no way makes me or you shallow. I hope you brush off his comment as ignorance and rudeness.

Go you and your growing :) :)

gthlvrmx
Does he also think that a goal of being wealthy is shallow, and that everyone should donate their fortune once they accumulate it?

I know seriously, he had this long talk my best friends mother and about sending her daughter to community college instead of her dream school because he didn't want to "waste his money". It's just the mindset of the community that lives around us.
Wish i could think of those smart witty things on the spot! My mind freezes and all i can do is smile like a dork

monsterna
That's a really stupid comment to make. I'd tell him "why don't you donate a kidney, you don't need both of them?" Yes, a kidney is way more extreme than hair, but I think it gets the point across that you shouldn't tell a person what to do with any part of their body, whether it grows back or not!

The other weekend I saw my mom for the first time in a couple months and I saw my sister and brother in law for the first time in over a year. The latter were saying how long my hair had gotten since my wedding when they last saw me, and asking what I was doing differently. And the bro in law asked my goal, and I said waist, but then probably on to hip once I reach that. He didn't say anything rude, he was just surprised and saying he thought that it would get annoying and in the way if it was so long. But my mom was like "But you really don't look good with long hair, you remember?" And I guess she was thinking when it was probably about BSL when I was 15 or so. I was thinking "of course it was s*** then! I had no idea how to take care of it, I dyed it so much, ripped brushes through it, and blow dried on hot and upside down every day." >< I'll show her, though. Thankfully my hair is out of the awkward teenage years anyway and into the LHC era. :)

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Wow, that's an inappropriate comment to make. Totally uncalled for and unsupportive. Caring for your hair is a lovely hobby and it in no way detracts from your quality of character. I personally am extremely committed to social justice and to making a difference in the world. Yeah and I happen to like long hair and the idea of growing mine long. That says NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING about who I am as a person and it in no way makes me or you shallow. I hope you brush off his comment as ignorance and rudeness.

Go you and your growing :) :)

Exactly :) I just remembered it today after prom and realized how nasty he was really being about it during the dinner. Thank you i will. Nothing's going to stop me from growing :)

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
That's a really stupid comment to make. I'd tell him "why don't you donate a kidney, you don't need both of them?" Yes, a kidney is way more extreme than hair, but I think it gets the point across that you shouldn't tell a person what to do with any part of their body, whether it grows back or not!

The other weekend I saw my mom for the first time in a couple months and I saw my sister and brother in law for the first time in over a year. The latter were saying how long my hair had gotten since my wedding when they last saw me, and asking what I was doing differently. And the bro in law asked my goal, and I said waist, but then probably on to hip once I reach that. He didn't say anything rude, he was just surprised and saying he thought that it would get annoying and in the way if it was so long. But my mom was like "But you really don't look good with long hair, you remember?" And I guess she was thinking when it was probably about BSL when I was 15 or so. I was thinking "of course it was s*** then! I had no idea how to take care of it, I dyed it so much, ripped brushes through it, and blow dried on hot and upside down every day." >< I'll show her, though. Thankfully my hair is out of the awkward teenage years anyway and into the LHC era. :)

Again, i wish i could come back with those remarks. Funny and straight to the point :) Yea, you show her! Jaja, i really think hip would look lovely on you i saw your photos :) It looks healthy :)

Greenhousegirl
April 17th, 2011, 08:57 PM
*hits the like button* I will store this in my memory for the inevitable conversation on... "you should donate your hair."-because i say so.

RitaCeleste
April 17th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I don't mind if people think I'm shallow and vain. I'll roll my own cigs, I'll shop at thrift stores, my hair barrettes come from Walmart. My eyeshadows are usually made in China and cut rate priced. My base and powder are an expensive department store brand. My conditioner and hair oils are not cheap. None of that makes me feel vain and shallow though. What lets me know how very vain and shallow I am are my eyebrow stencils bought to knockoff celebrity brow styles. Yeah, I know, can't get any worse than that right? PLUCK, PLUCK, PLUCK.....

McFearless
April 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Some people have different priorities. Growing hair long isn't shallow at all. If I were you'd probably say wanting to buy a ____ (insert whatever car he has) is shallow. Buying a house is shallow. Buying more than one pair of shoes is shallow. I could go on.

Ignore the haters!

monsterna
April 17th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Again, i wish i could come back with those remarks. Funny and straight to the point :) Yea, you show her! Jaja, i really think hip would look lovely on you i saw your photos :) It looks healthy :)

Thank you. :)

CaityBear
April 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Why do people always think if you have long hair you HAVE to donate it?? Seriously?!?!!!!! And then if you don't, they're so disappointed.

And if you've grown your hair and then cut it to donate people think you're a hero or something...

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Why do people always think if you have long hair you HAVE to donate it?? Seriously?!?!!!!! And then if you don't, they're so disappointed.

And if you've grown your hair and then cut it to donate people think you're a hero or something...

I know seriously!!! Like you're such a bad person when you want to keep it.
It's especially hilarious when you find out the girl in your next class got the other's donated hair as her spicy new weave :)
Real hero's there.

RitaCeleste
April 17th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I've cried at the salon. They won't cut it above bra strap length or I'd be the one getting the weave! They make great wigs. You can buy them, human, synthetic what's the big deal? What I want to know is who is too poor to buy their terminal child some hair in the first place??? How about I put some money into a tin and keep my own hair? How does that work for ya?

DoubleCrowned
April 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
How about, "It's my hobby. What's your hobby?"

christine1989
April 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Wow, he needs to give himself the goal of practicing some good social skills! That is a really mean thing to say. No one has ever made a comment that mean about my goal. The worst I've had is my mom saying that she thinks I look best with short hair (she thinks that about everyone though).

racrane
April 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I had that today, actually. A girl told me I should live a little and dye my hair instead of leaving it natural. It annoyed me very much. I like my hair.

RocketDog
April 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Nobody ever sees my hair down, other than my husband, so I never get comments on its length, nor do I make a point of talking about it. I am very self-conscious about it and would be pretty massively bummed if someone made even an offhand comment about it in a negative way (especially about the thinness, I would be crushed) so up it stays, out of sight and out of mind.

People say the cruelest things sometimes, and most of the time they don't even realize the damage their words can do. I'm sorry you had to listen to him spew his negativity.

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I had that today, actually. A girl told me I should live a little and dye my hair instead of leaving it natural. It annoyed me very much. I like my hair.

Oh my god! That is so mean! I love natural colored hair, it lasts longer. Gosh and your hair looks pretty too! Some people, i swear.
I've seen too many girls with fried hair that looks like a scarecrows who said they wanted to "live it up and party". That scene is so over rated.

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Nobody ever sees my hair down, other than my husband, so I never get comments on its length, nor do I make a point of talking about it. I am very self-conscious about it and would be pretty massively bummed if someone made even an offhand comment about it in a negative way (especially about the thinness, I would be crushed) so up it stays, out of sight and out of mind.

People say the cruelest things sometimes, and most of the time they don't even realize the damage their words can do. I'm sorry you had to listen to him spew his negativity.

I think i'm going to say less now about it to anyone but my family and close friends. I actually feel super pathetic when i wear my braids, when people first saw my english braid some girls were rather harsh and said take it down, you look bad in it and it's so thin! So skinny! No wonder i bun it up more often.
thank you :) I'll try to spew out more positivity.

ElvenArchess
April 17th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Tsk tsk, some people have no manners. So bold of him to say something to you like that, but I applaud you for being far more adult than him in this by disregarding it.

Any criticism I've received is purely in jest, and even if someone were to be seriously negative toward my hair goals, I wouldn't give them any credit. My hair isn't their hair, so they shouldn't care. Ha! I even made it rhyme. Terribly, but I did it. :p

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Tsk tsk, some people have no manners. So bold of him to say something to you like that, but I applaud you for being far more adult than him in this by disregarding it.

Any criticism I've received is purely in jest, and even if someone were to be seriously negative toward my hair goals, I wouldn't give them any credit. My hair isn't their hair, so they shouldn't care. Ha! I even made it rhyme. Terribly, but I did it. :p

Thank you, thank you :) That's similar to what my mother said to me, it's our choices and looks really bad on their behalf when people say mean things on other's personal decisions.
I'd love to sing that tune in my head when i pass by those rude people :p

adiapalic
April 17th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I find it interesting that he mentions marriage as if it's the one and only milestone we women aspire to reach—right before (incidentally) we happen to stop caring about our appearance.

Caring about our appearance for ourselves is shallow. Caring about our appearance to snatch a man, not shallow. Therefore, seeking marriage as a goal? Virtuous! :rolleyes:

That's how I read the response.

Just IMHO :flower:

In terms of my own personal experience? I've never heard a rude word from anyone about what I intend to do with my hair. I joke around and tell people I'm gonna grow my hair down to my knees like that Bob Dylan song. Perhaps I really mean it? We shall see...

gthlvrmx
April 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not to offend anyone, but I find it interesting that he mentions marriage as if it's the one and only milestone we women aspire to reach—right before (incidentally) we happen to stop caring about our appearance.

Caring about our appearance for ourselves is shallow. Caring about our appearance to snatch a man, not shallow. Therefore, seeking marriage as a goal? Virtuous! :rolleyes:

In terms of my own personal experience? I've never heard a rude word from anyone about what I intend to do with my hair. I joke around and tell people I'm gonna grow my hair down to my knees like that Bob Dylan song. Perhaps I really mean it? We shall see...

I really hope my hair get's that long :P Ankle seems like a dream.

I saw that point too and i have heard from even other woman too! Also the, Cut their hair short because they're married now and too old for long hair. It makes absolutely no sense to me!
It'd be great to see knee length hair on you! My tahitian dancing friend grew her hair for five years and is now at knee length, looks beautiful. :)

Mesmerise
April 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Some people are nuts! Seriously, if I had the money I'd bloody donate it so a kid with cancer could buy a wig, but like heck I'd ever donate my hair!! I think it's incredibly rude to even suggest that to a long haired person! I mean...sheesh... let them donate their car or something if it means that much LOL. I mean my hair wouldn't even make a great wig hehe.

And so what if it's a shallow goal? A LOT of people's goals are shallow, whether it's to buy a bigger house, or a newer car, or some new clothes or whatever. How many people's goals are really deep and meaningful after all? Growing hair is certainly not the worst goal a person could have :rolleyes:.

alyanna
April 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM
That's patronizing and condescending. What gives him the right to tell you what is and isn't a meaningful goal? I'm glad you were able to smile and continue eating that spaghetti :)

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 11:46 PM

hahahahaha LOL :-) not to be rude or anything but to the OP is he fat, bald and married .. well !! geez, I've been married 22 years, have two kids 19 & 17 and still do aerobics every morning .. shallow - me ??

silkheart
April 18th, 2011, 02:44 AM
It's hair, you can do whatever you want. Whatever happened to the "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say it at all" saying? People these days...

jenhow
April 18th, 2011, 03:05 AM
There are many people who feel it's their duty to give you the benefit of their opinion unfortunately. I think that honouring and treating yourself and everthing around you (which includes your hair!) with respect has a follow on effect and there's nothing shallow about that! Anyway, I don't see how spending a fortune on hairdressers, dyes, cuts is less shallow than growing hair long.

Aveyronnaise
April 18th, 2011, 03:07 AM
hahahahaha LOL :-) not to be rude or anything but to the OP is he fat, bald and married .. well !! geez, I've been married 22 years, have two kids 19 & 17 and still do aerobics every morning .. shallow - me ??

I know what a jerk ! I am an old married 36 year old and I work out several times a week and wear makeup -gasp!
He sounds like he is a miserable person. To me growing long, long hair is representative of a undervalued femininity that hardly exists in our crazy world.

Izae
April 18th, 2011, 03:26 AM

I'll have to remember that one!
Although I am one of the ones wh would like to donate most of my money when I get some, I don't hate on people who don't do that. So long as they've seriously considered doing so, even if they decide not to donate anything, then it's fine by me.

Wish i could think of those smart witty things on the spot! My mind freezes and all i can do is smile like a dork

I haven't had anyone saying anything rude about my hair, or anything in fact, since it's still so short, but I imagine I'd probably do the exact same thing!

How about, "It's my hobby. What's your hobby?"

Another good one. I better start writing these down so I remember them.

I really hope my hair get's that long :P Ankle seems like a dream.

Ankle length has a nice ring to it. I'm thinking it'll turn out to be one of my favourite lengths, just because of how it sounds. :D
Hopefully I won't reach terminal before then though.

rogue_psyche
April 18th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'll have to remember that one!
Although I am one of the ones wh would like to donate most of my money when I get some, I don't hate on people who don't do that. So long as they've seriously considered doing so, even if they decide not to donate anything, then it's fine by me.

I sound a little more miserly in my comment than I intended. I think the world would be a much better place if people's idea of charity went beyond donating hair.

Though most people take issue with forced charity (which taxes are, to an extent) many seem to think that anyone who puts in the effort to grow their hair should donate it. It's even worse when the person who wants you to donate keeps their hair short for fashion reasons but has every ability to grow long and donate her OWN hair, yet you are the selfish one.

Dark Queen
April 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. His comment was definitely in bad taste, but I'm glad you handled it well. I really like all the responses people are coming up with, particularly about donating organs, LOL. I haven't dealt with that too much, but my standard reply is something along the lines of I'm still enjoying my hair while I'm alive.

Izae
April 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I sound a little more miserly in my comment than I intended. I think the world would be a much better place if people's idea of charity went beyond donating hair.

Though most people take issue with forced charity (which taxes are, to an extent) many seem to think that anyone who puts in the effort to grow their hair should donate it. It's even worse when the person who wants you to donate keeps their hair short for fashion reasons but has every ability to grow long and donate her OWN hair, yet you are the selfish one.

Ah, sorry, I hope I didn't offend you with my reply. I'm never sure if I have or not when it's online like this.

I guess what I mean is that if whoever it is that wants you to donate, hasn't actually seriously considered donating to charity themselves, whether it's hair or money or whatever, that's fairly hypocritical of them, and rude too.
That is if they were being serious for you to donate. I probably wouldn't mind if I knew it was my friends just joking around.

xxaimsxx
April 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM
I find that its mostly other women who criticize others' hair.
I remember there was one girl at my school and she would always make strange comments about my hair. One minute she would say it looked awful then a year later she said 'oh i love your hair'.
Her hair was damaged, dyed black and she had extensions!
Deffo one to talk.

Ignore them and carry on with your goal. :) Just smile with your beautiful long hair lol.

Venefica
April 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have not gotten any messages that growing hair is shallow, however some people will think anything that do not matter to them shallow. I guess this man do not think having a nice car and a big TV as being shallow. It is not shallow to do things which enrich your life no matter what those things are as long as it do not harm anyone.

CurlyCreature
April 18th, 2011, 05:36 AM
... Unless it was something meaningful like you were going to donate it or something, i could see that...

^ I hate it when people tell you to donate your hair. Donating is great and I am all for it but thats YOUR choice! it's your hair! It is rude and presumptuous for them to tell you what to do with your hard work. Maybe when YOUR done with it you will, but for now enjoy it! You've put a lot of effort into it! *sorry, pet peve of mine*

That was very rude of him. A lot of people just don't understand it I guess. And yes, long hair is certainly for aesthetic reasons, but so is short hair, medium hair and any other hair. (even hair that is covered! women purposefully pick out pretty hair scarves etc!) At least WE know that long hair is a sign of a strong and healthy body. It is not shallow. It may be aesthetic but it is not shallow. It shows discipline, patience, and care. It is a very hard thing to accomplish otherwise more women would have it!

I am sorry that this happened to you.

RitaCeleste
April 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Sadly I do get more comments on how I look from straight women. Why on earth do women decide to make being fashion police a hobby? I know women spend time and money to look nice. Men really don't like the same things women do generally. It ends up with a bunch of fashionable women who are dressing up for the sake of impressing other women! I'm going to remember the line about donating the car instead of the hair though. "Wow! I have an old used car and some hair to donate. Bet they'd really be happier if you donated your nice car, they could sell it and buy all the hair they wanted in any style they wanted. That would be so cool, you donating your car. What's hair without enough cash for a shopping spree?"

FoxRain
April 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
It's even worse when the person who wants you to donate keeps their hair short for fashion reasons but has every ability to grow long and donate her OWN hair, yet you are the selfish one.

This. If they think donating hair is the most noble goal in the world, why don't they donate their own?
But sounds to me like the man in OP's story might be bald. He sure is raging like a man who've lost all his hair to age (and stress?) and is now taking it out on OP's lovely hair. :rolleyes:

Elleyena
April 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM
And he responds, "Well that's a shallow goal. Unless it was something meaningful like you were going to donate it or something, i could see that. That's a shallow goal."
This is the first time i've gotten that comment of my goal face to face, has anyone else gotten rude comments on your hair goals or were there nice one's? Most people that heard i want to grow terminal seem to not like the idea :p Poor them

Yeah...My mother comments anytime she sees me. When I posted on facebook that I was growing my hair out again (not even mentioning how long) my mom had this dismayed shock in her voice from downstairs, and she actually came upstairs and said "but you look so pretty with your hair short." :brickwall

When I had bsl hair a year and a half ago, and I mentioned that I was going terminal I got told that I needed to cut and donate my hair before I became "that freak with the hair" by both of my parents. To get my mom to stop pestering me about it, I did that fall...worst mistake, not doing it again. I couldn't do anything with my hair at all. Now I've been growing it out for the last year. I will get my length back!:cheese:

SimplyViki
April 18th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I don't generally discuss hair length goals anymore with non-LHCers. My hair's just brushing tailbone now, and I'm not sure how much longer I want to go, but I'm not there yet. I'll discuss hair care and other hair-related stuff, but my hair's already "really long" according to most people I know. My (future) MIL asked me the other day, while shaking her head, "Are you going to try to grow your hair longer?" I just replied with a shrug, "Maybe", when in reality, I'm planning on letting it grow until I'm tired of the length, however long that is.

AmericanWoman
April 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I don't mind if people think I'm shallow and vain. I'll roll my own cigs, I'll shop at thrift stores, my hair barrettes come from Walmart. My eyeshadows are usually made in China and cut rate priced. My base and powder are an expensive department store brand. My conditioner and hair oils are not cheap. None of that makes me feel vain and shallow though. What lets me know how very vain and shallow I am are my eyebrow stencils bought to knockoff celebrity brow styles. Yeah, I know, can't get any worse than that right? PLUCK, PLUCK, PLUCK.....

You go girl! I roll my own cigs and shop at thrift stores, too. Just bought an analog tv for 9.99 plus a bunch of work clothes, a cordless phone and a cart to lug groceries around in for a grand total of $22.

PolythenePam
April 18th, 2011, 08:58 AM
So we were having dinner before prom, and suddenly my best friend and i started speaking of her hair and how super thick it is.Our friends dad tells me, "oh in 15 years you wont worry about. You'll be married and other stuff. Plus, you'll probably be bald."
And i say, "oh so sad if i do become bald, all my hard work to get to my goal of extreme long hair..."

All the while i just smiled and ate some spaghetti. :):cheese:
I'm probably not going to be bald and neither will i donate :)

Who wishes baldness on someone? What an ass.

Tressie
April 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Try to let it roll off your back "like water off a duck's back" (because his/her feathers are oiled)! As the old saying goes! This man was being negative, and is probably an unhappy person. You don't have to let it bother you, if you choose to ignore it.

He, like most non LHC members, is obviously uninformed about the real function and administration of Locks of Love. It's not what most people think it is!

Sadly, you have to be selective about the people you share your goals with. There are personal goals that are important to us, having to do with our appearance, and they are not necessarily shallow....unless we ourselves are shallow.

Don't let his bad attitude steal your joy over growing your hair and taking care of it. :blossom:

Dark Queen
April 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I have not gotten any messages that growing hair is shallow, however some people will think anything that do not matter to them shallow. I guess this man do not think having a nice car and a big TV as being shallow. It is not shallow to do things which enrich your life no matter what those things are as long as it do not harm anyone.

This. I'm sure if it mattered to that guy, he wouldn't think it was "shallow" I have to wonder what he would say if his wife wanted to grow out her hair for the her own self :ponder:. It definitely is our body; our choice in this case.

I don't generally discuss hair length goals anymore with non-LHCers. My hair's just brushing tailbone now, and I'm not sure how much longer I want to go, but I'm not there yet. I'll discuss hair care and other hair-related stuff, but my hair's already "really long" according to most people I know. My (future) MIL asked me the other day, while shaking her head, "Are you going to try to grow your hair longer?" I just replied with a shrug, "Maybe", when in reality, I'm planning on letting it grow until I'm tired of the length, however long that is.

I hear ya. It's not that I don't tell others my goals, but since I haven't met any other LH's in person, most people I tell just don't get the purpose of it. To my friends it's "just hair". They cut, fry, and do all that stuff, so yeah :rolleyes:

GlassWidow
April 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM
How mysogynistic your friend's dad sounds! Not only is your goal of long hair (which is admittedly "feminine") shallow, but your future could only be "married and bald." Not to mention the fact that his own daughter's education is "a waste of money!"

Gee, friend's dad, projecting, much??

cuddledumplin
April 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
When I was in the US (I got back a week ago), I kept getting asked if I was growing my hair out to donate it to LOL. I just found it so presumptuous, and when I said no, the people seemed let down.

RitaPG
April 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM
My ex boyfriend gave me the joke about shaving and donanting, and I told him to go donate a kidney.

gthlvrmx
April 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My ex boyfriend gave me the joke about shaving and donanting, and I told him to go donate a kidney.

Jajaja oh my god you all made me laugh so much :) Thanks guys! Real great helpers you all are!
And for all of your information, he actually has some bit of hair left surprisingly.o.O From all the stress i've heard their family goes through, you would think even my friend would be losing a few locks of hair. But apparently from everyone that knows the family (even just community people), they seem to be not the nicest bunch.
But my friend rocks :)

This boy right here will let it go and let it grow ;)

selderon
April 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Buying more than one pair of shoes is shallow.

I might note that there are functional reasons for having multiple pairs of shoes. DH, for example, has to wear combat style boots to work. He has 24 hour shifts and sometimes doesn't get to take his boots off during a shift.

It has been demonstrated that foot health and boot/shoe longevity both improve when two or more pairs are worn on alternating days. Dry feet are happy feet.

I think it's funny that the dad thinks long hair is a shallow goal. What about healthy skin? Losing five pounds or building five pounds of muscle? Painting the house? Learning to dance? Maybe it's sour grapes on his part.

ETA: BTW, if you're going to end up old and bald, why not enjoy your hair now while you have it? :P Somehow, I don't think that's what the guy intended.

soni92
April 19th, 2011, 12:00 PM
That was rude. Don't listen to those kind of comments...Keep your goal in mind!! :cheese:

Rapunzelwannabe
April 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
*Holy innapropriateness!*
I've only had a couple of those moments and they're all not hair related but my go-to response is a very calm "that was uncalled for."

Misti
April 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM
My favorite response to the rude comments is an amused smirk, and to think *really loud* at the perpetrator what I think of their opinion and of them.

It confuses them every time.

truepeacenik
April 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM
ooooooh. these are the scenarios that test my dedication to pacifism.

now, my snark-a-thon:
in 15 years HE will be bald, if not already.
Prom could be seen as shallow (not saying one way or the other). Since he was part of dinner, he was part of the "shallowness" (If indeed there was any).

judging on looks or very personal goals: shallow.

suggesting how others should make the world a better place, unasked (or not as a spokesperson): RUDE.

(and as a long-term vegetarian, I could suggest his meat eating is shallow, since we survive without it... but I'll try, try, try to be nice).
So, blowing that, is viagra vain and shallow? :whistle:

braidedbeauty
April 26th, 2011, 06:36 PM
That was extremely rude of some friend of yours parent to say! It's your hair what have your goals with it got to do with him! Don't let it bother you he probably said that because he's secretly going bald himself :eyebrows:

JulietCapulet
April 26th, 2011, 07:39 PM
What is shallow about wanting long hair? Beauty is part of makes this life wonderful. I don't have anything positive to say about the person that told you that.

gthlvrmx
April 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Viagra, great comeback for them older people trying to get you to see it is a heroic meaningful thing to donate your hair.
You guys are great thanks :)

I've found other people at school who want to grow out their hair with me!
I think after finally wearing my hair down at school with my newly improved curls for a day and talking about all the stuff i learned on LHC on FB is encouraging others :) They even started asking me how to help them out taking better care of it!
Thank you LHC! :D
Maybe one man was insulting and rude, but 7 others are in it to care and grow it out with me
Plus the how ever many we have here on LHC :)

MonaLisa
April 27th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Hugs, don't let it get to you...I really disapprove of people giving themselves right to judge others...What makes them think they know best...

The other day...I was hanging out with friends, when a close girl firend of mine...sitting behind me...touched my hair and marked place on my body saying ' your hair is to here' in a neutral tone. Then i stated ' I'm planning to grow it a little bit longer' and she went ' ewww that's disgusting!' What the....
Then she went on and on how having such long hair is disgusting...
I wouldn't mind if she said she didn't like it...but to declare it as ..disgusting...
Luckyly, another close girl friend went into arguement with her - how she can say that... :D

Dark Queen
April 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
That's pretty harsh. I think I'd be genuinely offended if someone called it "disgusting" :(

gthlvrmx
April 30th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hugs, don't let it get to you...I really disapprove of people giving themselves right to judge others...What makes them think they know best...

The other day...I was hanging out with friends, when a close girl firend of mine...sitting behind me...touched my hair and marked place on my body saying ' your hair is to here' in a neutral tone. Then i stated ' I'm planning to grow it a little bit longer' and she went ' ewww that's disgusting!' What the....
Then she went on and on how having such long hair is disgusting...
I wouldn't mind if she said she didn't like it...but to declare it as ..disgusting...
Luckyly, another close girl friend went into arguement with her - how she can say that... :D

That is pretty harsh. Ive heard many of my friends say how disgusting it is to have hair beyond hip o.O
I would have slapped them with my braided long hair if i were you :p

Dark Queen
April 30th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I would have slapped them with my braided long hair if i were you :p

If anyone ever calls my hair disgusting, I think I'll do just that :D