PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp again - olive oil not helping

julliams
April 17th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Pre-LHC I suffered from an itchy scalp ALL the time. It was there no matter what products I used and it drove me crazy.

One day I dipped my fingertips in EVOO and rubbed it on my scalp and my itchy days were over (none since late 2009).

I've been doing great up until now. I currently have the itchies again and some dandruff at the hairline.

I just used EVOO and it seemed to make it feel worse. It's still currently on my scalp as I am doing a Coconut soak as we speak and then I will wash and condition as normal.

Any suggestions? It's not a clarify issue as I have done that in the last couple of weeks. Perhaps it's hormonal??? It is 3rd day since washing but it honestly hasn't been an issue up until now and I've gone for several days without washing tonnes of times.

CaityBear
April 17th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Try using tea tree oil with the oil. I have pretty bad dandruff some times and extreme itchiness and usually just do a really good scalp massage with tea tree oil (and rosemary essential oil for hair growth).

A rinse with mouthwash might help. I know that's helped me in the past.
Or using ACV on your scalp. Just dilute then massage into scalp and let sit. That has also helped me before.

julliams
April 17th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Thanks, I'm postwash now and it's not feeling too bad. Maybe the EVOO did actually help. I'll keep your suggestions in mind if it flares up again. My guess is that last week I did wash my hair a little more than normal and so maybe my scalp is just a bit dry.

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
perhaps you need a good BBBrushing ??

julliams
April 17th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hmmm, I do brush all the time with my wooden quill brush. I can't really use a BBB on my wavy hair, I actually don't find it gets through my hair and to my scalp anyway. But thanks for the tip.

shikara
April 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Like Caitybear said about ACV. I had an itching problem awhile ago in a few places only. I dipped my fingers into ACV/water and dabbed my scalp, and it took the problem away. I hope that it's as simple a fix as this for you!!

julliams
April 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I'll give it a go.

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
ah yeah I understand .. BBB's are not for thick hair, it only just reaches my scalp .. oh well I tried :-) hope you're getting it worked out

Firefox7275
April 18th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Is the dandruff more dry or greasy? If it's the former you may just have dryness or eczema, if the latter you may have seborrhoeic dermatitis. A friendly pharmacist may be happy to have a look if you prefer not to consult your doctor. Dryness or eczema can be exacerbated by your scalp getting irritated by the products used on it or a sign of another mild health issue (diet is a big contributor).

Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a reaction to the overgrowth of a micro-organism on your scalp, you can use an anti-fungal shampoo or some find tea tree helpful tho others find it aggravates their skin. It's also worth knowing that scratching begets itching, so you need tyo break that cycle. Applying something cool can work wonders because it triggers different nerve pathways to scratching. :cool:

julliams
April 18th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Definitely dry - not greasy. I have gone all day without itching today so maybe (most likely) I overreacted (typical, typical...)

Thanks everyone