PDA

View Full Version : My first french braid! ...Or something like it.

Miss Catrina
April 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I finally managed to do a french braid tonight... Not that it looks like anything approaching good (I don't even understand what's going on back there), but I"m hoping for some nice waves in the morning.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2qkk046.jpg

Basically, I'm just posting to share my excitement. :cheese:

jil
April 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Congratulations! It does look good. I hope you get the waves you that want :)

spidermom
April 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hooray; you're getting it!

The thing to remember about french/dutch braiding is to always go to the edge of the hairline next to your face/neck and pick up all the hair from that point inward toward the braid. Think of going down in even stripes of hair. I see that sometimes you picked up hair next to the braid and other times further out near the hairline, so you have hair crossing over hair that's already in the braid.

Quezie
April 17th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I just recently learned how to french braid as well, and I LOVE it.
I can get allll of my hair into one braid, including my shorter bangs, if I start the braid very closer to my forehead.

I used this site to learn, which was very helpful.
http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/french.htm

EricaLee83
April 17th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Hoooray!! I share in your excitement because I only recently did a french braid on my own hair last week :) It took me a million tries, but I finally think I got it. Congrats!! On to bigger and better braids :D

Slinks
April 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
hope you get the waves you want :-) it's a well done braid tho ..

ElvenArchess
April 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Yay for you! ;)

Firefox7275
April 18th, 2011, 02:23 AM
That is a pretty impressive prototype!

Dragon
April 18th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Congrats :)

silkheart
April 18th, 2011, 02:34 AM
It turned out a lot better than my first try. :doh:

Phexlyn
April 18th, 2011, 07:11 AM
It turned out a lot better than my first try. :doh:
I was so going to say this! :D Congrats, and you will get even better with a little practice!

Miss Catrina
April 18th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Okay... I think I need some advice.

My 2nd try looks like this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2dcg2l1.jpg

It looks.... just as wonky as the first, and I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. Is it partially a consequence of working in the shorter, face-framing sections of my hair? Am I just not being consistent enough in what size sections I add? I'm getting really confused...

vlhxo
April 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM
i'm definitely no expert french braider, but it seems as though you aren't grabbing enough hair from the back of your head. like when you reach for the sections on the side you need to put more hair in the section than just the piece from the side. the motion is almost like you are making a horizontal part with your finger so you have a wide, flat section of hair.

does this make sense? idk. anyways, as a beginning french braider i think it looks pretty good. i can't french braid on myself hardly at all. you are definitely on the right track!

spidermom
April 19th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Maybe you missed my earlier post? As you add in new sections, you always go out to the edge (where hair meets face or neck) and scoop up all the hair from that point toward the braid. When I do it, I use one finger, and it's like I'm drawing a line from the outer edge inward toward the braid with my finger tip. Then I add all that hair in one section.

Think of adding in even stripes of hair as you go down.
A visual:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/nautilus.jpg

Oops; that doesn't show the sections as well as I thought.

Aud200
April 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
As you add in new sections, you always go out to the edge (where hair meets face or neck) and scoop up all the hair from that point toward the braid. When I do it, I use one finger, and it's like I'm drawing a line from the outer edge inward toward the braid with my finger tip. Then I add all that hair in one section.

Think of adding in even stripes of hair as you go down.

This!!

In both pictures there are points where you only grab hair from the hairline. Think about "using up" all of your hair as you go down the braid..as you are halfway down your scalp, the hair on the top of the head should already be incorporated, and the hair below the level of the braid should still be loose. Otherwise you get a hybrid between a French and English braid.

Hope this helps! Looking good for the first few attempts!! :)

Miss Catrina
April 20th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. :) I think it's getting better:

http://i55.tinypic.com/1p9cv4.jpg

soni92
April 20th, 2011, 08:43 PM
That looks really good!! Congrats! :cheese:

Ciridae
April 20th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Your 3rd try was beautiful! It looks like you're definitely getting the hang of it! :)

Sunshineliz
April 21st, 2011, 07:10 AM
Getting better and better! Listen to spidermom she's explained it well and has some serious braiding skills!

Remember, horizontal stripes of hair from hairline ALL the way to braid. You're gonna have it down flat in no time!