PDA

View Full Version : The "Bad" Things We Do...

beatricedivina
June 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
As I was sitting in the salon chair yesterday getting my summer highlights, I wondered......do other people do things they know are bad for their hair?
I want to have healthy hair, but I've always hated my natural hair color. In the last five years, my bangs have turned almost entirely grey, and I don't like the way it looks. So I dyed it for a while, then I decided I didn't like the color, so I started getting highlights to change the color yet again. My hair is in pretty good condition - aside from chemical coloring, I take fairly good care of it. I'm not planning on stopping coloring, but I am planning on growing my hair longer.

bunnii
June 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I dye my hair which is bad for it but if i'm honest i haven't had any extra damage from dying it. and its growing at a good rate. maybe its all the oiling?

Isilme
June 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM
not being as careful as I should when combing... :o

Oberon88
June 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't eat as healthy as I should and I rarely wear it up.

snowbird
June 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
trimming my hair with any old scissors laying around. Never get around to buying sharp scissors...

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I chemically dye and several others do too here. I think the main thing is to NEVER pull the dye through the hair or overlap the roots and treat your hair as good as you possibly can otherwise. So far I am doing good on my long hair journey. To me it's worth it to be happy with the color and I'm not without it.

flapjack
June 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I'm bad about wearing it up, that's really the part I don't do well by lhc standards, I suppose. Haha. I used to wear it down ALL THE TIME. For years. And my hair is tough, it takes it just fine and I don't get split ends. But I've noticed the ends look generally better in the past few months because I've been braiding and oiling it at night, and bunning it more often.

Still wear it down a lot, though. I've had long, loose hair my whole life so it just feels like me I suppose.

FrannyG
June 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I'm really good to my hair in every way--except--that I colour my hair. I know the risks, but I don't see that changing any time soon. I'm just going to grow my hair as long as nature and chemical colour will allow.

spidermom
June 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I allow my stylist to flat-iron it from time to time. Stick-straight hair is my dream hair.

Patrycja
June 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Another chemical color head here.Now-even though I color(the last two times I colored,I did my entire head),I must say my growth rate is good and I do have super soft hair.

justgreen
June 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I get regular highlights and lowlights. I blow dry my hair *GASP*, always blow dry the crown and bangs, sometimes using a brush when hair is almost dry, but usually just use a triple dipped pick instead. I never S&D. I'm a bad girl.

Riot Crrl
June 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I am bad too. I blow dry with a diffuser sometimes. And after I get done doing that, I wear it down too.

BrianaFineHair
June 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I style blow dry my hair ... just twice a week or whenever I want my hair to look, in my opinion, its best. I like for it to curl under instead of flip up and all over.

I must say though that I do this veerrrry carefully (low setting and just until it's done - no over doing it)

:o

Paniscus
June 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I blow dry from time to time; especially my bangs.

Elainehali
June 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I bleach and dye. (I can never settle on a color) When I dye I use semi permanent becuase it's not AS bad as permanent.

Sometimes I blow dry on cold, and until it's 80% dry.

I brush it, when it's wet, but it's oiled so that helps.

So for every bad thing I do to my hair, I consider ways to not make it as damaging.

jojo
June 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I dont drink enough water, I run my fingers through my hair constantly, i blow dry but on a cold setting and sometimes I straighten my hair for a change on the odd occasion, but i do use protection, I do weekly DC treatments, I oil, Air dry 99% of the time and wear my hair up most of the week, so its swings and roundabouts, you got to be naughty sometimes, long hair is for enjoying and the way I see it everything in moderation is OK!

Chromis
June 15th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I could also stand to be a touch gentler with combing. I use a much finer comb I think than most here because I don't like the way larger tined ones feel, but I know it would be better to detangle with one first.

mommy2one05
June 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I don't eat good food like I should. I sometimes curl and sometimes with heat. I sometimes flat iron but with a heat protectant. I am still a chemical head, trying to convince myself to stop though. And I am not great at putting my hair up alot.

ailin
June 15th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Sometimes, I brush my hair when it's still wet... :whistle:

Alaskanheart
June 15th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I dont drink enough water and forget to take vitamins

Im not as gentle with it as I should be, and I use metal barretts on occasion and I use hairspray on occasion too.

I just went to a stylist and had about an inch taken off and trimmed my old bangs and layers slightly.I let her rip through my wet hair with a small tooth comb, and then I let her blowdry with a round brush.Thats the worst Ive done to it in 9 months, and I almost had a heart attack from the anziety , but one time in a year isnt going to hurt anything.

yuccalyptus
June 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
you got to be naughty sometimes, long hair is for enjoying and the way I see it everything in moderation is OK!I totally agree! :) With that said, I wear my hair down and unprotected probably far too much, and my head has seen it's fair share of dye (though I AM trying to quit).

RavenDream
June 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I do quite a lot that is considered bad, but sometimes I think my hair likes it. I dye it with semi-perminent and then highlight. On the 2 days a week that I wash my hair I have to blow dry it.

psvzum
June 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I color my hair and get the roots done every 3 1/2 weeks. I know it's not the best thing for my hair but I can't live with the greys. I do my best to keep it in great condition tho : )

30isthenewblack
June 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I colour my hear as well & have a half head of foils & a semi permanent colour. I had it coloured just before I joined the forum & I wish I hadn't let her put the colour all the way through now especially as it's too dark & I'm using an anti-dandruff shampoo to lighten the colour lol. I also wash my hair every day but I have to get the residue out from the shea butter & dakarine cream I'm using. My hair seems to be growing at a reasonable rate.

Tangles
June 15th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I like blow-drying (or skimming a flat iron VERY quickly through my hair). I don't care about being straight, but it just makes my hair more manageable and free of tangles, and it adds body at the crown. I don't do it often though.

julya
June 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I comb it wet sometimes. That's the worst I can think of.

freznow
June 15th, 2008, 09:23 PM
not being as careful as I should when combing... :o

Same here. I'm HORRID with the comb when I am in a hurry. :(

I also don't eat healthy enough for my body in general, but that one is a bit harder to remedy...

shellblue1
June 15th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I dye my hair, blow dry it, flat iron it occasionally, comb it while wet (I really have to because of the tangles), wear it down, touch it a lot...

chrissy-b
June 15th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I blow dry my hair about twice a week (it just won't behave the way I want it to some days), and I still use commercial styling products when necessary.

I've changed to alcohol free hairspray recently and stopped dying my hair altogether. Since joining LHC I oil daily, clarify and deep condition every other week (or when I feel product build-up), do monthly cassia treatments, and wear it up every day (until the end of the year :o) so I feel like the small amount of damage I'm doing is offset by all the good things I'm doing with my hair. And someday soon I'll cut out those bad things, my hair (and me) just aren't ready to yet.

TheSpottedCow
June 15th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I wear my hair down and touch it all the time. I used to wear it up but am vain and think I look better with it down.

crystal_89
June 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I flat-iron my hair anywhere from once to 4 times a week. I also wear my hair down more than I should and chemical dye my hair black around every 4-6 months as the need arises (I'm growing out brown dye).

However, I feel I 'balance' this out to an extent by not brushing or combing my hair most days :D

ZaBasDa
June 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I blow-dry then flat-iron my hair into straightness whenever I can't stand my friends nagging me about it, so about 3 times a year.
I wear it down a lot. But this hasn't seemed to bother my hair yet.
I have a couple bleached spot that I dye with semi-permanent vegetable dyes.
But I try to be nice to my hair otherwise.

chloeishere
June 15th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I'm not as gentle at pulling out tangles as I should be, when I comb. I only wear it up at work and when it's dirty... and I wash every other day (well, somewhat less often lately).

I also have diabolical plans for 5 years when I cut it off... I'm going to bleach out streaks and put in green and/or blue and/ or purple sections. But that's not for some time. :D

Sceleste
June 16th, 2008, 01:20 AM
I should comb more gently and stop using a certain pretty hair toy that eats my hair.

Toadstool
June 16th, 2008, 01:24 AM
highlights,dye and flat ironing...I use a LOT of conditioner.:D

lady G
June 16th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Black hair dye user here, and blow dryer! gave up the flat iron though and I condition lots and that seems to help, my hair is not dry.

harley mama
June 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I don't plan on giving up coloring my hair any time soon.
Guess I'm not ready to have gray stripes yet!

I wear my hair loose a lot. I don't think that's bad until I get it
caught in the seatbelt or something like that.

I swim almost everyday without using a swim cap. Most of the time I wet my bunned or braided hair before I go in the pool though.

Tap Dancer
June 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I color my hair regularly but I don't see any extra damage from it. And I'm (still) a little too rough when I comb/brush my hair.

MsBubbles
June 16th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Oh this is a therapeutic confessional! I quit the highlights all over but I intend to bleach about a 1cm thick strip around my temples/forehead so my face doesn't look so sinister, for as long as I can get away with it. I'm ok if those bits break off earlier than the rest.

I don't wear my hair up as much as I probably should because I'm still obsessed with feeling how long my almost-BSL hair is.

thankyousir74
June 16th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I'm a swimmer but i do the tips in the article section so i'm faring fairly well. other than that i should get meself one of those seamless combs/be more careful when combing with my fingers.

morgwn
June 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I have been naughty with lightening my hair before. I've improved a lot on that (now I just use honey/cassia and the sunshine) but I do rarely use lemon, which is drying, and have used Sun-In before. :blush: I do feel naughty about that, but I've gotten so much better lately with my overall treatment.

ladystar
June 16th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I blow dry & Flat Iron, for an occasion. I always comb while my hair is wet (makes me shed like crazy)

Siava
June 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I will do the occassional blowdry and flat iron either for a special occassion or just because I'm sick and tired of having it up (few and far between though thank goodness). Funny thing is I do feel guilty as I'm doing it. Also, My hair is not entirely virgin. I did color it darker 3 times when it was first growing out, but haven't touched it in a year. Thankfully, it has lightened up and blends well with the virgin hair.

JessTheMess
June 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I've given up my chemical hair dye, flat iron, and blowdryer. I have been oiling, which has made it more manageable while wet. I usually finger comb while wet, but if it's bad I take a brush to it. I shed a lot when I brush it :(

paper
June 16th, 2008, 09:03 AM
The only bad thing I do to my hair is color it.

Finoriel
June 16th, 2008, 09:50 AM
I never S&D, lack of patience for Sisyphus-works and ...
and ...
and :ponder: ?
:p I think thatīs all :wannabe:

eucalyptus
June 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've been flat ironing my bangs lately since they are in a weird stage. Also, I've been leaving it down. I know it was softer when I did CO, but I've been shampooing for a while now because it has more body that way. I will most likely go back to CO in the future. I comb with a plastic comb that isn't the smoothest thing on earth. Wow, I do a LOT of bad stuff!

<She>
June 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not always very careful when detangling and combing, but it's improving. I don't S&D as much as my hair needs; I sometimes wear it down when I'm outside (and with my luck, it's always windblowing:-() even though it gets tangled; and I'm thinking if I could dye it black or something very dark because I think it will match better with my light skintone.

kwaniesiam
June 16th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I've been blowfrying sometimes to speed up drying, but only on low cool setting. Also I always brush/comb when wet. Sometimes I skip out on conditioner and just shampoo.

Nevermore
June 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
It's mostly the combing for me, along with daily ponytailing before I bun. The ponytailing is a temporary necessity and because it keeps my old bangs back, prevents me from always feeling the need to wash it. I don't think that offsets the damage, but that's the way it has to be for another few months, until those bangs will stay back in a bun for more than a few hours.

Mitzy
June 17th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I had my color done for the last time about 4 months ago, and I had lighter streaks, that was to help the gray grow out. I blowfry my fringe sometimes to speed up the drying, then bun the rest. I wear mine down most of the time, partly because it is still fairly short and layered and partly because my office is coooold and I need some insulation for warmth. Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it!
I will wear it up more once it is warmer. It will be longer by then as well. Otherwise I am pretty good to my hair.

jeno
June 17th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I want my hair to get lighter so in summertime at beach, I'll wet it with salt water and let it dry in the sun.