PDA

View Full Version : What do split ends look like?

CurlyCreature
April 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry for the "newbie" question... but for the life of me, I can't physically see or find any split ends on my head. Never have. My ends definitely get damaged and "grabby" when it comes time for a trim... but until recently I always thought that "split ends" was just a phrase, I didn't realize ends actually split. I have rather thick individual hairs... when they damage they bend at the end (like little velcro fibers) but I can't see any splits. Is it possible that I don't get split ends? or is it microscopic?

Roseate
April 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
If you have them, you can see them! My hair doesn't split much at all either. Some hair is just more prone to it than others.

They come in different shapes and sizes: a cool chart (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_urMaQ5o3ZUY/TR5nSey6SaI/AAAAAAAAAP4/lfW9Ax4HOIA/s1600/Split+Ends+Chart.gif).

CurlyCreature
April 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
If you have them, you can see them! My hair doesn't split much at all either. Some hair is just more prone to it than others.

They come in different shapes and sizes: a cool chart (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_urMaQ5o3ZUY/TR5nSey6SaI/AAAAAAAAAP4/lfW9Ax4HOIA/s1600/Split+Ends+Chart.gif).

ah very helpful. mine definitely does the last three but none of the others

haibane
April 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
It usually takes a while for splits to appear. I don't have any splits in my shoulder length hairs either, but around bsl/waist they start to appear, in spades.

But thick strands are usually less prone to splits, so if you're lucky you won't see many.

MeganE
April 17th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you aren't getting them. If you can see the end of your hair, and it's intact, then it's not a split end. My hair is fine enough that the individual strands are practically invisible, and I can still see the occasional split in mine.

ETA: I really like that picture though, I wondered if my ends that went off at a right angle were damaged or not. I've been snipping them just the same, but it's good to know.