PDA

View Full Version : Nasty hair comment I heard today about me.

vanity_acefake
April 17th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I was down the town today with my children when we walked past two women.
One said to the other "did you see her hair?".
The other one said "it's obviously extensions".
I turned round and they were both staring at me but looked away quickly when I turned round.
My hair is a couple of " from waist.
I didn't say anything but smiled at them.
I really wanted to stop them and say "actually it is all my own hair. Thank you for noticing it!"
Made me feel really annoyed for a while though.

skyblue
April 17th, 2011, 03:50 PM
lol I think they were just a tad bit jealous hahaha! ;)

HintOfMint
April 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Catty as all get out, but a bit of a compliment. Your hair is clearly so nice it couldn't POSSIBLY be real.

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thats a big compliment!! They were just envious:) And means your hair is long enough to be considered extensions! hooray

CurlyCreature
April 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Aw don't take it personally *hug*
It just proves how special and rare beautifully healthy looong hair is; now adays girs dont have the patience and they want the *look* so they get extensions, so when people see the real thing they can hardly believe it. We're bringing "it back" though ;) lol. The woman might also have just been jelouse (I know that sounds silly but it's true, rather than giving you credit, she tried to put you down) It was rude of them to say that, but good of you to look and smile at them. Thats how I handle "starers" when I'm walking around in belly dance costumes etc. People stare, and ok I may look different/odd, but it's still rude to stare! So I just stare right back and smile and they look away coz they know they've been caught ;)

Calaelen
In this day in age where chemical treatments are so common, and shorter styles are the norm, it is uncommon to see naturally thick, healthy hair past a certain length. Obviously these ladies thought your hair was so beautiful it couldn't be real, and their comment was most likely not meant to be nasty. I take it as a compliment when I get asked if my hair is all real, that just means it is too good to be true in their eyes :)

HuggyBear
Wow, that was rude! A comment like that seems to be coming from someone who was jealous of your lovely, long locks.

ETA: I agree with the others to take it as a compliment whether it was intended to be or not. Either way...it's all good. :)

CurlyCreature
April 17th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I agree with others... maybe you should take it as an unintended compliment ;) Alot of insults long hair get are out it being "dirty" "messy" "damaged" but if you're looks so good it looks like expensive extensions then gosh! you must have gorgeous locks!

MsBubbles
April 17th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'd definitely consider it a compliment rather than nasty. It's when people say to you 'Why don't you get some extensions?' that you know they think your hair doesn't look so great. :(

vanity_acefake
April 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Aw thanks for all your replies. And your all right. It was a backwards compliment.
:)

silkheart
April 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah those women were totally envying you. Some just insult instead of compliment to make themselves feel better. Bleh what bums! The fact that they noticed and felt the need to say something about it, is a compliment enough.

MeganE
April 17th, 2011, 04:48 PM
How strange! I mean waist length hair isn't that uncommon! Why would they think it wasn't real??

dragonette@1
April 17th, 2011, 04:54 PM
You handled them with class and charm, and taught your children to do the same thing!

Absolutely brilliant to just stare and smile. I bet the two jealous biddies learned a lesson today!:)

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I think id take it as a compliment, though I could understand it if your hair was classic or longer as there so uncommon but enjoy the compliment!

Juneii
April 17th, 2011, 05:05 PM
it just means that your hair is so thick and healthy that it HAD to be extensions. Mere mortals like them cannot possibly obtain such wonderfully luscious locks :D

Slinks
April 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I really wanted to stop them and say "actually it is all my own hair. Thank you for noticing it!"

:-) you should have !! but hey, I would take it as a compliment, you "know" how many women use extentions these days, my own daughter does and wishes she had my hair which is still on the short side compared to you .. they were just jealous .. rock on !! :-)

RitaPG
April 17th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Darling that's not a nasty comment, that's a compliment.
They have no idea hair that long can be that beautiful, and that's why they thought it was extensions ;)

rogue_psyche
April 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM
it just means that your hair is so thick and healthy that it HAD to be extensions. Mere mortals like them cannot possibly obtain such wonderfully luscious locks :D

This. Congratulations, you inspire hair envy wherever you go. ;)

ibleedlipstick
April 17th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I would definitely take it as a compliment! It was a bit backhanded, yes, but I would love to hear that :)

spidermom
April 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I don't think it was a "nasty" comment, either. There's nothing nasty about having hair extensions, but it's much more satisfying (and comfortable) to grow your own hair, I think.

Someone made the comment about my hair a couple of months ago: "Did you get a look at her hair? That's CRAZY." Is that a nasty comment? I didn't take it as such.

McFearless
April 17th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Next time go with your first instinct and say exactly what was on your mind. I don't agree with those women but I can understand why they would think your hair is extensions, they are very common! Regardless it is very rude to say those things outloud. I'd be happy- your hair but be so impressive that people don't even think its humanly possible ;)

lauravmarcela
April 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Those women are just jelly :p obviously they can't have it as pretty as yours

RitaCeleste
April 17th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'd love to have someone get jealous of my hair. Well, provided they weren't cutting it of course. Anybody else can just envy away! lol

rogue_psyche
April 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Someone made the comment about my hair a couple of months ago: "Did you get a look at her hair? That's CRAZY." Is that a nasty comment? I didn't take it as such.

Your hair IS crazy: crazy awesome. I know a lot of people think that women over thirty can't grow hair as long or thick or healthy as yours so I definitely think they were in a (positive) state of awe.

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM
:grouphug: Well you have awesome hair without needing to pay for the upkeep of extensions. If they only knew...

Sidani
April 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I'd have grabbed the ends of my hair and pulled hard while shaking it at them and smiling. lol Maybe a little passive aggressive, but I think they'd get the idea. :D

ElvenArchess
April 17th, 2011, 10:38 PM
The way they spoke made me imagine two bitter, stuffy old ladies with nothing better to do than trash talk everyone. People like that disturb me. It's why I plan to leave North Dakota some day.. It's too small and full of rumors and grudges. But just think, your hair looks healthy enough to look like good extensions. ;)

Fufu
April 18th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Take it as a compliment :) They must be ignorant to know that hair can grow long beautifully.

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I was down the town today with my children when we walked past two women.
One said to the other "did you see her hair?".
The other one said "it's obviously extensions".
I turned round and they were both staring at me but looked away quickly when I turned round.
My hair is a couple of " from waist.
I didn't say anything but smiled at them.

Well that was rude and nasty, BUT I think I'd be feeling pretty chuffed if I heard someone say that about me :D. Take it as a compliment because it means she thought your hair was too good to be real!!

dagonlilly
April 18th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I guess instead of having a shirt that says your tatas are read we need a shirt saying the hair is lol

Lianna
April 18th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Well, that is not so bad...imagine if you had short hair and it really was extensions, or a wig. I bet you'd feel really bad then, I know I would! Next time go show them. ;)

MaiCarInMtl
April 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM
It was a compliment, but some people don't really seem to know how to give them up front. Unfortunately, I am one of those people who uses hair extensions on occasion (to give the appearance of more hair, not longer hair). I can only wish that someone would accuse me of wearing hair extensions when I am not.

This should make your day!

Dragon
April 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Don’t let it get to you. Maybe they thought that because beautiful natural hair isn’t that common. And if they meant it in a mean way, they are probably jealous.

aspartame gram
April 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Definitely agree with what everyone has said! It's an oddity to see any person with long, natural, and healthy hair. I think that their comment also arises from their jealousy - who wouldn't be jealous of such gorgeous hair! But there are better ways of dealing with that, and they should have instead admired and been in awe of your hair.

Don't let it get you down! It's their own fault for having such negative outlooks and I can't imagine that they're happy people.

evampr18
April 19th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Ah, screw them. They are just jealous brats. Obviously they have the personality of a french fry.

alwayssmiling
April 19th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Not hair related - but I have a child with profound autism and it never ceases to amaze me how people can stop what they are doing, stand and stare, point, make comments in ear shot. "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!" One day I will say it. You are not alone in dealing with rude people, its a daily occurance for me. (Though saying that the majority of people I know and know us as a family are very kind and understanding.)

xxaimsxx
April 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I guess you could take it as a compliment. I mean your hair is so nice and long they thought it was extensions!

Sweetie
April 19th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I would have taken it for a compliment too!!! I'd love to hear someone say that about me!!!

Yozhik
April 19th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Obviously they have the personality of a french fry.

:thumbsup: My favorite quote of the day!

I'd definitely take it as a backhanded compliment. :)
Also, I looked at your album, and your hair is very pretty -- dark and nice and thick. :cloud9:

Venefica
April 19th, 2011, 04:48 AM
I do not know if I think the comment was that nasty, after all what they where saying where essentially look at that woman her hair is so nice it can not possibly be her own hair. I think you should take it as a compliment.

Scarlet_Heart
April 19th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Did you see those two ladies? They were obviously jealous old hags. :steam

Chetanlaiho
April 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I'd see that as a compliment as well xD I got asked the same question once (they were impressed that it was my own) but I think the reason they thought it is because I have some annoying leveling going on with my hair >_>

squiggyflop
April 20th, 2011, 07:02 AM
20 inches.. extensions.. huh.. isnt 20 inches like shoulder length? or maybe apl.. it was shoulder on me but i have a gigantic head.. really big and round..

why would they think it was extensions at apl? it doesnt make sense.. hmmm maybe they dont know how extensions work.. because im pretty sure no one goes for apl extensions..

i think that it should be taken as a compliment.. your hair looked so good that it looked too good to be real..

Mesmerise
April 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
20 inches.. extensions.. huh.. isnt 20 inches like shoulder length? or maybe apl.. it was shoulder on me but i have a gigantic head.. really big and round..

why would they think it was extensions at apl? it doesnt make sense.. hmmm maybe they dont know how extensions work.. because im pretty sure no one goes for apl extensions..

i think that it should be taken as a compliment.. your hair looked so good that it looked too good to be real..

She actually described her hair as "a couple of inches from waist", so either she hasn't updated in awhile, or she's perhaps measuring the longest hair strands instead of measuring the LHC way??

RitaPG
April 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
I'd have grabbed the ends of my hair and pulled hard while shaking it at them and smiling. lol Maybe a little passive aggressive, but I think they'd get the idea. :D
That would've been fun :D

Happymoonlight
May 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM

It doesn’t really matter where you are going or who you are talking to, there’s always someone jealous about the other person, it’s all a question about self-esteem, and one have it or not. Therefore, be proud of who you are ;-)

I live in the UK where I face very much the same situation, went to cut off my split ends and walked out having lost half of the length, since then I cut the hair by myself.
;)

Blond On Blond
May 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I find it interesting that most people here think the ladies were jealous. Admiration and curiosity don't equal jealousy. I didn't find the comment nasty, but then, a tone of voice can say more than words alone ;) Either way, even if the comment was meant to be nasty, there's no bigger fun than having a rude remark turn into an unintentional compliment :D

Toadstool
May 12th, 2011, 02:02 AM
I find it interesting that most people here think the ladies were jealous. Admiration and curiosity don't equal jealousy. I didn't find the comment nasty, but then, a tone of voice can say more than words alone

Yes, I too am puzzled why people think this was in any way rude or nasty? No criticism of the way the OP's hair looks is implicit in the two women's comments.

akka naeda
May 12th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I've always had people saying this about my hair and it's never occurred to me that they were jealous (or envious......:D).

It amused me when my hair was shorter that they were too stupid to realise it was actually real. And it's always nice anyway because it means my hair stood out enough for them to comment on it, even if they did mean it in a negative way:)

Now, people tend not to say it because, as one person told me, not even extensions get to this length! (The longest I've seen anyone with extensions is classic)

Qamar
May 12th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I get asked somewhat frequently if my hair is extensions. I take it as a compliment since it means they think my hair looks extraordinairily healthy, long and pretty. I generally ask them if they have ever seen extensions that are nearly classic length and they then realize on their own that they haven't (extensions rarely are longer than waist length and virtually never past hip) and are amazed that its my own hair. I've had a few people actually feel it because they couldnt believe it was real!

vanity_acefake
May 12th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I knew they were being unkind as it was the way they said it as if they had just seen something gross.
I live in a wee town in Scotland and there is no way of mistaking an unkind remark here due to our accents! Most women here have heavily bleached, cut and styled to death hair. If you have long hair you are automatically a hippy or a freak! I have had abuse said to me when I had pillarbox red hair years ago. Small town Scotland, small minds.

LadyG
May 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hugs. We see your hair as beautiful, gorgeous, amazing, wonderful,........ Having lived in a small town, and know how small minded they can be, I applaud you for have such beautiful hair (even though I've never seen it).

Sweet Beat
May 12th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Take it as a complement ;) They thought your hair was beautiful :D

JamieLeigh
May 12th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Your hair is clearly so nice it couldn't POSSIBLY be real.

^^ Exactly that. :D Enjoy that unnaturally beautiful hair of yours!

JulietCapulet
May 12th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Those ladies were so envious of you! You must have gorgeous hair. Lol.

FarmGirl
May 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Yeah, I get that comment quite a bit too. It seems like the women with the bleached, flat ironed, etc hair is just so willing to rip on anybody else's hair... maybe because it doesn't look as fake as theirs? ;)

luxepiggy
May 12th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I would definitely take it as a compliment! Even if the comment was ill-intended, it still means your hair was nice enough for them to notice in the first place and nice enough for them to feel jealous, right? (^(oo)^)

Jean Stuart
May 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM
They are jealous and mean. That is a mean person compliment because they don't know how to be nice.

hockeygirl256
May 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Hair extensions. Blah! Obvious case of jealousy. They should just grow their hair out too :)

cowgirllong
May 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
You HAD to have extensions because no one could possibly grow hair like THAT. Obviously jealous and obviously nasty wenches. It seems small towns everywhere are the same...

I've noticed some people who do a lot of stuff to their hair think everyone else should, too. And should they have the nerve to grow their hair really long and not dye or bleach... That sort of person isn't worth wasting perfectly good time being annoyed at. Not that I wouldn't be just as annoyed!:)

allmixedup88
May 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I think it was a back handed compliment more than likely due to jealousy