PDA

View Full Version : Does seamless really make a difference?

rena
April 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I apologize if this question has already been posted before, but do seamless combs really make a difference?

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Definitely!

Some seams are really sharp, which can damage your hair and cause more splits. I noticed a difference immediately after switching.

jaine
April 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure ... I use a fine-tooth Ace comb on my hair and it's not damaged yet after doing that for 2 years. I haven't noticed any damage and I have no splits. My hairstylist says my hair is "like glass" and complimented me on how healthy it is. I use this comb every time I'm in the shower to distribute conditioner and I use it when I get out of the shower when damp-bunning it so I can get everything to lie in the same direction.
But to be fair this is the only supposedly "damaging" thing that I do... I don't color it, I don't rip or tear it while I brush or comb it, I don't use high heat on it, I sleep in a silk bonnet, etc.

Alvrodul
April 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Definitely! When I got my first seamless combs, I could feel the difference when combing - the hair somehow would slide more smoothly through the seamless combs.
I also feel that I get fewer splits. I still raise a good amount of the d*mned things from old chemical damage, but there is also mechanical damage from bad combs and rough handling. I S&D regularly, and fortunately neet to snip off fewer split ends than I did a year ago.

Copasetic
April 17th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I don't think that seamless matters all that much, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Mesmerise
April 18th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Hmm I may have to try seamless combs... every little bit counts, right??

Othala
April 18th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Kent seamless combs made a big difference to my hair. I used to get splits on the length as well as the ends of my hair which I finally realised was due to the seamed combs I was using progressively stripping the cuticle of the hair shaft. The seamless combs slip through my hair and I have not found any splits on my length since using them (and getting rid if the damaged hair).

Venefica
April 18th, 2011, 05:25 AM
I do not really notice that much difference, I think my brush is seamless, but I use other brushes as well, I do not have much damage to my hair and it seams to accept about any brush. However I do notice that it takes less time to tend my hair with a good brush than a poor quality one.

AuburnTresses
April 18th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Oh yes! I makes a big difference.

virgo75
April 18th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I don't think that seamless matters all that much, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

2nd this.

It also depends on the actual seam.
Some seams are virtually nonexistant and smooth so they don't snag or cause any problems. Most well made combs and brushes will have seams that have been filed down or made so well that you can't feel them and only see them when examining closely.

Then there are cheaply made products which can have a thick and sharp seam that will give you a surprise dusting when you use it.

Izae
April 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'd go for seamless if I could, because I know they are supposed to be better (and many people will back this), and there's no reason not to get one, so I may as well get the seamless ones.

My current comb definitely has a seam on it, and recently one of the teeth at the end broke off when I accidentally dropped it.
So now I'm looking for a new seamless comb. :)

lapushka
April 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I do pay attention to it, but when I had long hair as a young teen (classic length), far less attention was paid to all of this. I slept on cotton pillow cases (still do). There was no such thing as conditioner or detangling spray (ouch on that one). I had combs with seams and brushes I wouldn't let near my hair now. Maybe it was because I was young, but I don't think my hair suffered. I'd still go with seamless, though. :)

Allar
April 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I think that seamless is not that much of a difference, but it's still a noticeable difference.
It's nice to feel your comb slide through your hair without snapping it, of course some snapped hair won't hurt that much, but it all depends on how much care you want to put on hair care.

I guess we all use or have used once in a while some poor hair care tools without big troubles and there are a lot of worse thing to do to hair, but minimizing the damages can't be bad and especially when you start to use such tools frequently, every little help is useful.
Also hair type plays a big role I think, thin and weak hair would definitely benefit from the constant use of a seamless comb.

Anje
April 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I think it depends on your previous comb. If you switch from something with sharp seams, it'll make a huge difference. If you switch from something that has smooth seams, you might not notice anything.

Personally, I really liked the change to horn and wood because the results were so much less staticky!

IcarusBride
April 18th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I don't really notice much difference. I use a yak horn comb most of the time but I've lost it a few times and had to use regular plastic combs and didn't notice much difference. I do prefer the yak comb but not sure exactly why.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 18th, 2011, 09:42 PM
It has definitely made a difference for me. I love both my seamless Speert wide tooth pick and fine tooth comb. They slide through my hair soooo nicely, no snagging.

Runzel
April 18th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I suspect it makes a difference. The mental image of a scissor blade on a ribbon comes to mind (or have I stolen that from somewhere, I don't remember). In any case, that was enough for me.

So what did I do? Well I bought a ridiculously cheap wide-toothed plastic comb at the local store and then spent hours filing down the seam on and between each and every tooth until I was satisfied that it was so smooth that it would not damage my hair.

I dream of nicer combs, but then again I've already broken a tooth off this one from dropping it so often, so :shrug:

PrincessBob
April 18th, 2011, 11:15 PM
In my hair, yes, seamless matters a great deal. I used to get mid-shaft splits from seamed pins on paddle brushes. Bad news bears.

Renate
April 2nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
It makes a big difference for me. I think it depends on your hair type - mine is fine. I can actually feel the difference now when I comb with seamless and when I comb with a regular comb.

jeanniet
April 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
The type of comb makes a big difference for me. Seamless combs are much smoother going through my hair, and make it easier to detangle (my hair tangles very easily). I also need a very wide-toothed comb, but it has to be seamless.

BrightEyes
April 2nd, 2012, 11:33 AM
I think it makes a difference. My hair is much easier to detangle now that I use a seamless comb. And easier detangling for me means less ripping and tearing.

lilliemer
May 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Are there any "drugstore brands" (Goody/Conair etc) that make seamless combs? If not can someone recommend an online source?

thanks much!

Amber_Maiden
May 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Yes! Definitely! They don't snag and damage the hair!

Laylah
May 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM
No. I use a comb with seams (not HUGE, ragged, sharp ones) and my hair isn't damaged at all. No snagging, no ripping.

serin blackwood
May 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Are there any "drugstore brands" (Goody/Conair etc) that make seamless combs? If not can someone recommend an online source?

thanks much!

I got this comb plus a wooden one at Sally's. I love them both, but this one glides through my hair like silk! Cheap, too.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/silicone-dressing-comb/SBS-301707,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

ravenreed
May 12th, 2012, 12:22 AM
As others have said, it depends on the seam. I have a wide toothed comb with very small seams. I haven't noticed any problems. My wood comb has sharper edges.

Charybdis
May 12th, 2012, 12:54 AM
In the UK, you can find Denman's anti-static carbon combs (http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=100010) pretty cheaply at Sally's. They're seamless, lightweight, and sturdy. I'm sure you can order them online in the U.S., but I'm not sure where from -- unfortunately Sally's in the U.S. doesn't seem to carry them.

Jing
May 12th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Like others have said, it depends on the seam. Some seams are smooth enough to be fine. The material can also make a big difference. I recently broke my beloved horn comb and got a cheap plastic one to replace it until I can get a proper replacement, and even though I sanded the seams on the new comb down, it just feels terrible.

maria_asa
May 12th, 2012, 02:53 AM
Like others have said, it depends on the seam. Some seams are smooth enough to be fine. The material can also make a big difference. I recently broke my beloved horn comb and got a cheap plastic one to replace it until I can get a proper replacement, and even though I sanded the seams on the new comb down, it just feels terrible.

This pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.
I think it also depends on your hair type. My hair is very fine and sharp seems on combs (or hair toys) give me nasty mid shaft splits.