PDA

View Full Version : Diluting Shampoo...

Kaya
April 17th, 2011, 02:20 PM
How do ya'll dilute your SLS shampoos?

I have a bottle of GF Triple Nutrition shampoo that's about half empty. I was thinking that I could just fill the rest of the bottle with water and use it like that.

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Sounds like a good method to me! That's how I used to dilute my shampoo.

pelicano
April 17th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't personally, as you're then relying on the preservatives in the shampoo to keep the water you've added bacteria-free. I'd dilute just enough to use at a time if it were me. :)

Anje
April 17th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I think you might want to dilute smaller batches. You're diluting out the preservatives too, and it would be preferable not to have any nasties growing in there because it's been sitting around diluted for ages.

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Anje and pelicano both make good points. I usually had small bottles of shampoo and I'd go through them pretty quickly, but larger bottles like the GFTN are pretty good breeding grounds for bacteria. I guess I forgot about that :p

teela1978
April 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I keep a little plastic tupperware in my shower and dilute each wash in that. It works :shrug:

Roseate
April 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I do it one batch at a time, and my dilution is much weaker than 1/1. I use less than a teaspoon in an empty 8oz bottle, add water, shake and squirt it right on the scalp.

christine1989
April 17th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I use aubrey's organics shampoo (non SLS) which to me feels like it has already been diluted for me. With my SLS shampoos I usually dilute the amount that I am using. I've always wanted to just add water to the bottle but I'm always afraid it will go moldy although I have no idea if there is any truth to that.

justgreen
April 17th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I use a six ounce applicator bottle with a nozzle, like you use for hair color? I add about one half to one ounce of shampoo, depending on which shampoo I'm using. Then add 4-5 ounces of very warm water right before washing. I shake it well, then apply all the good suds right down on my scalp. I always mix a fresh batch.

Kaya
April 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! :D

I didn't even think about yucky bacteria growing if I mixed the entire bottle up. I'll see if I can find a small bottle to use in shower to mix a fresh batch whenever I need it.

Cheers! :cheese:

teela1978
April 18th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Empty yogurt containers can work pretty well :)