PDA

View Full Version : Microtrim or bigger cut?

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Hi all!

I'm thinking about cutting my hair a bit,like no more than 3 inches,but first i want some advice.
My hair is finally growing to a long lenght but i'm not satisfied with my ends..
I want a thick blunt hemline rather than thinner scraggy ends,although i love the lenght of my hair so much right now.
I have some damage of heat styling and dye so it has to be trimmed out some day anyway.
I microtrimmed both in januari and februari 0.5 inches but i think that i might need more of a cut.
So what would you do if you were me..
Microtrim some months more or just get a 2 inch cut at once?

My siggy is my hair now.

TIA! xx

spidermom
April 17th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I'd go with the 2-inch cut. I hate fighting with damaged, tangly ends.

MonaLisa
April 17th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I'd do middle, do 1 inch. Will make more difference than a tiny microtrim, and won't be that noticable on length, will grow back in like 2 months, or faster because it's summer, then you can consider doing it again, or maybe it already will look really good, and you won't lose more length 'for nothing' :)

vanillabones
April 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I would do a 2 inch cut but no more than that then leave it alone for another 6 months

telegraph64
April 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
How about a two inch cut? It won't take very long to regain that length, and it is plenty enough to help the look and feel of your ends. :flower:

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I prefer to cut what needs at once. Having just taken an inch of scraggly ends off myself, id say cut the 2" off. Dusting is great to maintain the hem once the damage has gone.

Dragon
April 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I'd go with to Microtrim unless the last 3 inches feels really bad.

Firefox7275
April 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM
If your ends are damaged I would trim them off so they don't get tangled in with better condition hair. You could always start with a one and a half inch trim, then go to three inches if you don't get the look and feel you hoped for?

jaine
April 17th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Your ends don't look thin to me - I think your hemline is already about as thick as most people can expect at that length. Plus, one big cut with a long period of non-trimming will just give you fairytale ends again later. I think small regular trims are the best way to avoid fairytale ends. So I would do a microtrim if you're going for thickness.

If getting rid of damage is the main goal then either would work (small regular trims or one big trim)

Pantha
April 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Depends on the damage, your ends look straggly but it's unclear from the pic if theyre really damaged or not. I know what you mean about wanting a nice thick blunt hemline but at the risk fo feeling put back for loosing 2inches is it worth it or is it worth waiting. I'd go with probably 1inch then see how you feel, if your still not satisfied in another two weeks get another inch off. I'm assumign you have a freind or someone who will trim for you and not a hairdressers? because on the whole a hairdressers inch is three by anyone elses count.

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Thank you all for your comments!
It's still a hard decision though.hmm "thinking"

Depends on the damage, your ends look straggly but it's unclear from the pic if theyre really damaged or not. I know what you mean about wanting a nice thick blunt hemline but at the risk fo feeling put back for loosing 2inches is it worth it or is it worth waiting. I'd go with probably 1inch then see how you feel, if your still not satisfied in another two weeks get another inch off. I'm assumign you have a freind or someone who will trim for you and not a hairdressers? because on the whole a hairdressers inch is three by anyone elses count.

If i'm gonna cut it i will do it myself with feye's selftrim method..I'm familiar with the method and scared of hairdressers:)

baaaad_kitty
April 17th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Maybe 1 inch? I just trimmed 1.5 off, and I've never been happier. I got just past waist, but the little tail that was beyond waist was damaged from chemical dye and heat styling from last year

PolythenePam
April 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm at the length I want but not satisfied with the condition and thickness of the ends and hemline. I'm choosing to do micro-trims and experimenting with ways to ramp up my growth-because if I could get 2-3 inches of new growth pronto-then I could chop and be done.

jaine
April 17th, 2011, 12:11 PM
on the whole a hairdressers inch is three by anyone elses count.

Sorry for the sidetrack here but I don't think that's a fair statement to make. Hair is a three-dimensional shape with some hairs longer than others - requests like "only cut an inch" only have meaning if your shape is already perfect to begin with and all hairs in the same section are already the perfect length in relation to each other. In reality, there are things that make the "only cut an inch" kind of instructions impossible to follow: shape issues (some sections longer than they need to be in relation to the hair as a whole) and racer hairs (some hairs longer than the surrounding section). Communication between a hairstylist and client needs to take this into account. I don't give instructions in inches any more because it's too ambiguous, but I always get exactly what I'm looking for - by describing the shape and overall length that I want.

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm at the length I want but not satisfied with the condition and thickness of the ends and hemline. I'm choosing to do micro-trims and experimenting with ways to ramp up my growth-because if I could get 2-3 inches of new growth pronto-then I could chop and be done.

Yes this is how i feel too..I really hope my hair will get its summer growth spurt again but the thing is ,i'll get used to the lenght immediately..

NouvelleNymphe2
April 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Your hemline looks very pretty, thick, and natural to me. Are your ends particularly split and unmanageable and I just can't see? If not, I vote microtrim.

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Your hemline looks very pretty, thick, and natural to me. Are your ends particularly split and unmanageable and I just can't see? If not, I vote microtrim.

I have some splits but not more than when i was at BSL, also not unmanageable.. Just a thinner look then the rest of my hair but really soft and not dry at all..
There is damage but the henna and good care took quite care of it mostly, its just the thinness what botters me most..

NouvelleNymphe2
April 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Avital88, I took a look at your profile pics and your hair is stunning. I am amongst the microtrim voters for sure. :)

morecowbell
April 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
It's interesting to see so many people voting for a chop vs microtrims, it might be because you're already at a longer length, so it doesn't seem like as big a deal.

I'm in a similar situation -Damaged, scraggly, tangly ends-, but at a much shorter length. And based on how much damaged length I have (from my shoulders down is a mess), I decided to go with micro-trimming. I think it's going to be a lot nicer knowing that I'll have fresh ends every other month, and that I won't be losing too much length trying to keep up with the damage by making 1"+ chops too often. :)

And FWIW, I think your hemline is very well shaped and looks quite thick already. :flower:

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Thank you both ladies.. I do have to say that losing 2 inches at apl or at hip still feels like the same loss because at both points you're used to the lenght.
I think i will take the 2 week rule :)
I'll wait 2 weeks ,and then decide.. I do think i'm heading towards taking off 1 inch,and from then do microtrimming every month..

CurlyCreature
April 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Depends on what your most comfortable with... if a big cut is going to depress and discourage you because of loss of length, then go with micro trim. But if a big cut and the more-manageable and healthy feeling hair that comes along with it is going to encourage you to grow more of your naturally beautiful hair, than go for it! You could always compromise... cut the wost of the damage off, then trim the rest as you grow

Yozhik
April 17th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I recently trimmed off about 2 inches to get rid of my crunchier ends. :)

I'd go with this method, because it was my first time doing feye's self trim, and I was nervous enough doing it without worrying that I was taking off too much.

My ends feel so much better, but then I did discover that some of the buns that I had been just able to make weren't working anymore . . . so there can be some disadvantages to the more drastic trim.

Your hair is very pretty, in any case, and good luck with your trim! :flower:

Avital88
April 17th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I recently trimmed off about 2 inches to get rid of my crunchier ends. :)

I'd go with this method, because it was my first time doing feye's self trim, and I was nervous enough doing it without worrying that I was taking off too much.

My ends feel so much better, but then I did discover that some of the buns that I had been just able to make weren't working anymore . . . so there can be some disadvantages to the more drastic trim.

Your hair is very pretty, in any case, and good luck with your trim! :flower:

Thanks a lot Yozhik!

skyblue
April 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Your ends look fine to me too, if you really feel that a 2 inch trim is what you need go for it, but I see layers are you just looking to go for one length?? Or are you gonna get your layers trimmed as well? You might end up with a shorter length then you wanted...on the bright side we are going into the summer season and hair usually grows really well and you can get your length right back to where it is now in just a few months and it will be healthier

IcarusBride
April 17th, 2011, 04:22 PM
For me, If I cut 2 inches off, once those 2 inches grow back they are just as thin again, it doesn't solve the problem. Continue doing 0.5 microtrims. If you cut off only the amount of monthly growth every month, other pieces of hair that shed before and are regrowing are more likely to catch up and make the ends thicker.
Or at least, that's how it works for me!