PDA

View Full Version : Bun assistance requested

Pixna
April 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Hello. It's me again -- Pixna the Bun-Challenged. Here's the dilemma: My hair is now in the mid-back abyss -- not long enough for some bun styles, and too long for others (such is the nature of the maligned abyss).

I rely on my daily Pencil Bun, but my hair seems to be getting too long for it. Also, I prefer to use a four-prong (60th Street Fork) for the best hold, so I'd like to know some bun styles amenable to big forks like this, especially styles that do NOT entail twisting the hair (it causes too much breakage). I also like to occasionally do a single-stick or double-pronged fork bun, but I'm finding those are not as secure lately. My hair is fairly thick, so any thick-haired people with suggestions for buns for my in-between (past BSL but not yet at waist) length would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Sundial
April 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Lazy Wrap Bun!! :p you can vary the number of fingers you wrap around depending on your hair length and it isn't a style which requires twisting

krissykins
April 17th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Can you do Spidermom's Bun That Stays? The Knot bun? The Nautilus?

Before my massive shed, I could just *barely* do these styles. You could try and see if they work for you yet :shrug:

lapushka
April 17th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I agree with above posters. I'd go with either a Lazy Wrap or the Nautilus. You need less hair for a LW than for a Nautilus. A pencil bun is actually a variation on the Nautilus, for shorter hair, so definitely also give the Nautilus a go.

ladyfey
April 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
maybe the chinese bun as well.

estelwen
April 17th, 2011, 10:06 AM
What about the swirly bun? The way I do it is to make a half up and then bun and pin that hair, then twist the rest of it around that bun, pinning as I go. Since there's so much going one in the way of pins, it seems to hold well for me, particularly when wet.

I also have very thick hair and am finally leaving that mid-back swamp. Do consider using Amish pins in addition to your hairsticks/forks. I almost always have to do that for a comfortable, stable fit.

Good luck!

spidermom
April 17th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Two buns can be a nice change, too.

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
look at spidermoms instructions for the gibraltar bun, its my daily bun and hold like a rock!

Pixna
April 17th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks, everyone! I forgot about the LW (smacks forehead). I haven't been able to quite figure out the Nautilus and Gibraltar (not sure if I have enough length yet), but I'll continue to try them.

I don't want to use any elastics or additional pins or clips -- just a straight-up fork or stick with a single bun (I'm a purist). And I'm left-handed (which seems to always make following instructions more difficult for me).

Any more ideas? I greatly welcome them! Thank you all so much!!!

pepperminttea
April 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Here's Torrin's vid on the nautilus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J7xtE). :) When my hair was shorter, I skipped the 'wrapping' step and just pulled the length straight through (normally looping it so the ends stayed inward). This worked for me from around BSL, it'd be worth a try.

tinti
April 17th, 2011, 01:50 PM
KarenLynn Knot?

lapushka
April 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM
This is the Nautilus video (from Hypnotica) that helped me:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=466690622319220011#

Pixna
April 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Thank you! I especially appreciate the the links. One problem I have with the wrap-style buns is that I end up with a big "lump" at the base of the bun that sticks out. Is there a way to more evenly distribute the "bun base" to avoid this big lump?

GeoJ
April 17th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I can't think of any that weren't already mentioned, but it is possible to do a Chinese bun with only a hairstick, no elastic bands. Just start with a bit of a braid instead of a ponytail.

alipes
April 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Wow, thanks for the videos! Torrin's nautilus video especially was quite good, and I can't wait to try it out!