PDA

View Full Version : New hair on tuesday

Elph
April 17th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Well I took the plunge today and booked my apt. with a hairdresser to get a perm and cut......I will go from "just about" tailbone but definatly waist to midback with a spiral perm - think the main character from hellcats.

I will get some pics tomorrow of before hair and then after on Tuesday with the result. I am going to then go through and post a blog about caring and dealing with it.

To those who will (and I know there are many) say that I sould not do it, thanks but please don't go on about it. I have had pretty much natural hair for 4 years with maybe 3 dyes or hennas with nothing for the last 2 years. I now want a change and enjoy my hair, the biggest issue I have is wearing it down and want to embrace it down.

So to all check my post tomorrow for a pic.

Check out the images in my album. The process was a bit long - 3 hours but good. The cut was a bit shorter then expected and the curl is a bit smaller but I like it. I have had it in half up and am dealing really well with it. I am loving the cut. I have to comment that the hair dresser was great - the comments about how it is in good condition, no upselling and I was told to keep doing what I am doing.

My hair doesn't seem to have lost to much moisture and as such feels pretty good at this stage.

Toadstool
April 17th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Good luck- I love her hair and wish mine were like it!
Look forward to seeing pictures!

Juanita
April 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I did this back in 1998 with similar length hair. Loved it at the time.

Dragon
April 17th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Good luck :)

Elph
April 17th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the replys. I will post with pics tomorrow.

pepperminttea
April 17th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Good luck, can't wait to see photos. :) Just a heads up though, be warned it will seem as if your entire hairtype has changed, and it may not like the products it usually does; you may well need to hike up the moisture treatments in particular. Fingers crossed it won't take you as long to work out as it did me when I went the perm route. ;)

EricaLee83
April 17th, 2011, 08:05 AM
How exciting!! Best of luck and I'm looking forward to the pics :D

estelwen
April 17th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Good luck! I've thought of doing that myself!

serious
April 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Good luck :)

Pantha
April 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Good luck, and congrats on not letting anyone else change your mind, too many people worry about what other people think and say.

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Hair is for enjoying, no good having long hair else. I look forward to the photos :)

spidermom
April 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Since you've already made up your mind, I wish you well. I hope you enjoy the change.

Forewarning - straighter new growth does not play well with curls. About 6 months down the road - you'll see what I mean.

Elph
April 18th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions on care girls. As for 6 months down the track I have always had some wave in my hair and love being able to have a bit of curl in my pony tail. my aim is to become happy with my hair down as well as have a change.

I will post photos tomorrow - I got one today and will do so again tomorrow. Now to get some pics to show the hairdresser

DakarNick
April 18th, 2011, 07:29 AM
How much are you cutting? Wouldn't waist length straight hair be mid-back when permed? Or are you saying you're cutting from tailbone to waist?

AuburnTresses
April 18th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Good Luck! I'm thinking of some change too. Can't wait to see your picture. :)

Raiscake
April 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
It's your hair. Have fun with it! Good luck and can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Tressie
April 18th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I hope you like your new do! Once upon a time in the South....I had long slightly wavy natural hair. I decided I wanted long curly hair like model Andie Macdowell had at that time. So off to the hairdresser I went. After a perm, I had hair that was maybe slightly more wavy. I was disappointed. I went back to the same stylist and she said that my hair was too heavy for the curl to show. So, she cut length and added layers and I did have more curly hair then, but NOT what I had wanted.

I realize now that Andie MacDowell's hair (in the publicity shots I had seen) may not have been permed at all? Maybe they'd done tiny braids on damp hair, or just maybe her hair permed better than mine, or is just naturally curly. I don't know, but I had a drastic hair change and I didn't get the look I wanted. The stylist had a top salon in our area at that time. It may have been my hair that was the problem. I've never been able to have the spiral curls though I've had lots of different perms back in the super curly big hair 80s.

This is a new day, and there are lots of new products and techniques I'm sure. Hoping your experience will be more satisfying! :blossom:

E.T.A. I realize that Andie MacDowell probably has naturally curly hair. (o: That is the major difference! :D

racrane
April 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I hope you enjoy your hair, too!

Sheltie_Momma
April 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Enjoy, can't wait for pictures!

Slinks
April 18th, 2011, 01:50 PM
:-) wish you luck !! and yes please I'd also like to see pics

Roseate
April 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Very curious to see your pictures! I've heard that perms have really improved lately.

Quezie
April 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Sounds pretty. :) Hope the process goes well!

CurlyZ
April 18th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Good luck to you! I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Don't forget to post some pics!

Elph
April 19th, 2011, 07:41 PM
http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac64/elphland/NewHairTuesday.jpg

as you can see different but cool

jasper
April 19th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Gorgeous both before and after!

agoddess2die4
April 19th, 2011, 08:09 PM
*sigh* I miss my perm from high school. It was so fun for a month...until it started growing out and I had straight roots and had no idea what to do with them. haha. It was easier to deal with than my hair naturally, curls are expected to be a little unruly. It also seemed to be thicker when straightening. I still like my senior yearbook photo...it was straightened perm dyed almost black and the best my hair looked. Too much maintenance for me though. I'm a bum. I hope you're enjoying the curls!!

Toadstool
April 19th, 2011, 11:53 PM
lovely! Isn't it amazing how much shrinkage affects the length!

Dragon
April 20th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Looks good :)

Tressie
April 20th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Gorgeous both before and after!

THIS!! :) I know you are excited to have those lovely curls!

CurlyZ
April 22nd, 2011, 11:40 AM
I think it looks very pretty!
But I also have to admit that I liked your "before" hair a little more. :o
(Maybe just because I am curly and like straight hair a lot)
Well, the important thing would be:
Do YOU like it?
Are you happy with those pretty curls or do you still need to get used to it?

Elph
April 23rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Well it has been a couple of days and I love my curls. It is great to be able to basically wear my hair down all the time. I have only pulled the front of my hair back so it is not in my eyes.

I am dealing with it great. The only thing I need to figure out is how to brush out the knots without it getting way to frizzy. I am guessing the best way will to be fingure comb and then comb befor washing.

lapushka
April 23rd, 2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the comments. Any suggestions on care girls. As for 6 months down the track I have always had some wave in my hair and love being able to have a bit of curl in my pony tail. my aim is to become happy with my hair down as well as have a change.

I've been growing out a perm for more than 2 years. I'm a 2a too. I got one at shoulder length and grew all the way to where I am now (between WL & HL). I got lots of breakage during the journey, though not right away. That's the only down side.

The best advice I can give you, is to start treating your hair as if you've changed hair type over night, because that's effectively what you did. It still is never brushed or combed when dry, or in between washings. My hair's only combed when wet, after it's been washed, and still needs a very heavy conditioner. Basically, it requires 0 effort in between washings, always looked great, and was also easy to get out of the way. Gets tougher the more it grows out, and was the best the first year.

Kathie
April 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Well it has been a couple of days and I love my curls. It is great to be able to basically wear my hair down all the time. I have only pulled the front of my hair back so it is not in my eyes.

I am dealing with it great. The only thing I need to figure out is how to brush out the knots without it getting way to frizzy. I am guessing the best way will to be fingure comb and then comb befor washing.
I like it! I'd head over to the curly thread to learn all their tips and tricks.

annieangel149
April 23rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
i liked the before cut best but tbh who cares what i think lol! its what you think that matters!

your new curls look good too and aswell as those nice curls you are obviously loving your new length so if you are happy with it noone elses opinion should count! :)

p.s just make sure that perm doesnt dry your gorgeous hair out!!! :D

Elph
April 23rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Well I have not noticed a change in the moisture level.....it was really good before and the only issue I have at the moment is that I am getting knots at the moment. I will head over to the curl girls and have a look - thanks for the suggestions.

Thankyou for the positive replys - I did love the length befor but it was so flat I think once I get back to waist ish I might just go for body waves rather then full on perm.....I do like the fact that I have body and the hair being softer around my hairline has made my face look so much better. Who would have thought.

jojo
April 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
pretty spirals! be sure to baby it.