PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this?

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I saw a video about using a mixture of olive oil, honey, and brown sugar as a scalp scrub? Has anyone tried this? How effective is it? Is it in any way harsh or abrasive to the scalp? How do you apply it? I'd like to hear your experiences.

krissykins
April 16th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I haven't used this mix on myself personally, but I know that brown sugar works well as a scalp scrub. I normally put it in my conditioner when I feel my scalp needs it.

jaine
April 16th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't it be abrasive to the hair? I often wonder that when I hear about sugar scrubs...

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't it be abrasive to the hair? I often wonder that when I hear about sugar scrubs...

That's what I wonder about as well...

Firefox7275
April 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Scalp skin is pretty sensitive, I'm not sure that exfoliating it would be a good idea for most people. If someone has dandruff or build up it would make more sense to address the root cause. :confused:

pepperminttea
April 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I've heard of that, only without the honey. It would be abrasive to the hair, you'd have to be careful, but I think as a nice treat for your scalp occasionally it'd be really nice. I've got psoriasis on my scalp, and goodness knows something to remove the build-up of excess skin now and then would be lovely. I use the same mix (olive oil + brown sugar) to exfoliate my face now and then, it's wonderfully soft afterwards.

Loepsie
April 16th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Heheh =P
It's all about how hard you scrub, if you just massage it in lightly it shouldn't be too bad. It's definitely not something you want to do very often though.

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Heheh =P
It's all about how hard you scrub, if you just massage it in lightly it shouldn't be too bad. It's definitely not something you want to do very often though.

You know what I'm talking about. ;) Tell me, do you do it on wet hair (i.e., in the shower), or dry?

Loepsie
April 16th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Wet. One, it would make a huge mess outside of the shower and two, the water dissolves the sugar a little bit so the particles are soft and mushy instead of hard and sharp =)

Capybara
April 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I was going to ask if it was Loepsie's recipe :)

I tried it after seeing the video, and it worked well. I added conditioner to mine to make it a bit more spreadable, and it was quite nice.

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I was going to ask if it was Loepsie's recipe :)

I tried it after seeing the video, and it worked well. I added conditioner to mine to make it a bit more spreadable, and it was quite nice.

Thank you for that, Capybara! :)

Panth
April 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I've done a sugar scrub (melted coconut oil + white sugar as I had no brown in the house) on dry hair before. I got DBF to do the actual scalp massage.

I'm an F but I didn't notice any breakage or damage resulting, despite having a long massage. ^_^ It helped greatly with my itchies, which turned out in the end to be due to an allergic reaction to my Flexi-8. :(