PDA

View Full Version : once you know your hair type what do you do?

growingpains
April 15th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Once you figure out what your hair type is what are you supposed to do about it? I've read it should determine how you treat it, but I don't know what that means for my 1c/2a (I think) hair.

(I've never "officially" typed it, it's just my observation based on my hair having been on my head for 27 years. :))

Lexy
April 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Since you're in between straight and wavy, if you want you can try some of the routines for curly hair and see if that brings out more of your wave.

sunshine-locks
April 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I was wondering that too, I'm 1a/1b :)

Lexy
April 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I can be helpful, regardless of your hair type, to find other members with a similar type and see what routines work for them. It's a more efficient way to learn how to care for your hair than pure trial and error.

Firefox7275
April 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
What you do about it depends on what problems you are having with your hair. Reading your profile you are having problems with 'sloppy' air dried hair and frizz, which might suggest you are curlier than you realise. Many of us wavies spend decades not realising how curly our hair is because we brush or comb when wet. :o Next time you wash maybe try not brushing but, whilst your hair is still fairly wet, scrunch in some conditioner with your head upside down. Then don't touch whilst drying; I get a lot more curl and a lot less poof this way. If that helps at all start stalking the wavies and wurlies to learn what works for them. :)

HintOfMint
April 16th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I know that I'm probably wavier than I realize, but my hair is really open to suggestion, so I just end up damp bunning it to smooth it out. I compulsively play with my hair, so leaving it alone really isn't an option.

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Great suggestions everyone!!

I will be keeping me eyes out for people with the same hair types.

Lexy, what do you do to care for your hair?

What you do about it depends on what problems you are having with your hair. Reading your profile you are having problems with 'sloppy' air dried hair and frizz, which might suggest you are curlier than you realise. Many of us wavies spend decades not realising how curly our hair is because we brush or comb when wet. Next time you wash maybe try not brushing but, whilst your hair is still fairly wet, scrunch in some conditioner with your head upside down. Then don't touch whilst drying; I get a lot more curl and a lot less poof this way. If that helps at all start stalking the wavies and wurlies to learn what works for them.

Firefox, good idea. I will try this. Years ago I used to do this, but with mousse and I got substantial waves/curls, but it always bugged me cause it was crunchy. Maybe conditioner is a good alternative though.

Last night I wide tooth combed after shower and twirled it into sections and used argan oil on it and did the same today by just wetting my hair a bit. Then, where nearly dry, I gently separated the twirled sections and scrunched. It worked really well. I got a couple compliments on it yesterday.

Maybe I am curlier than I think.

I hear curlies need to moisturize their hair more. What are good ways to get lots of moisture into your hair?

FluffSpider
April 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
In order to keep hair moisturized you will need to cut out drying things(such as alcohol, or detect any protein build-up, which leaves hair feeling crunchy). Then, you have to be smart about sealing moisture in. Most people oil after washing their hair, to trap moisture in. You could alternatively use silicones to lock moisture in. SMTs are also a good idea

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Thank you FluffSpider!! :)

Lexy
April 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Lexy, what do you do to care for your hair?

Yeah, I realized after I wrote that last night that my haircare routine is in my blog (which is private) and is also horribly out of date.:o

I do a CO wash using whichever cheap conditioner is available whenever my hair needs it (and this is purely subjective, my hair has never gotten greasy enough that other people notice, even when I was doing WO for months, but I find I prefer SOME cleansing, as I tend to get scalp gunk and that bothers me), usually every 2-3 days. I do a CWC using the aforementioned cheap conditioner and Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat about every 10 days. I use jojoba oil whenever my hair seems particularly poofy. I wear my hair up 90% of the time, not because it's particularly fragile (it isn't at all) but because that helps me to avoid obsessing about whether it's growing or not. I take a nice selection of vitamins daily (maxi hair, MSM, B5, calcium, fish oil, a multi and biotin).

Most importantly, I try to leave my hair alone as often as possible. I've (finally!) found that my hair type is pretty darn low-maintenance, in that I can go for at least a year without a trim and no one but me can tell, and deep treatments don't seem to have any effect at all. So the big key for me has been to develop a routine that doesn't require a lot of attention and then bunning it and forgetting it. :shrug:

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks! Good to know. I like the CO strategy interspersed with washing idea. How do you style when you wear down? Styling seems to be my big battle. I don't like my hair up much. I put it up at night and maybe 20% of the time in the day- mostly alone or sometimes at work. I don't really know many good styles and I find I look a lot better with my hair down that up.

I bet if I co/wash once in awhile and stop heat I would rarely need cuts either :)

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM
By the way, how many posts do I need before I can look at people's pictures? And how do I create my own hair album? Sorry to be such a bother! Am having a hard time navigating the site a bit.

Lexy
April 16th, 2011, 05:47 PM
How do you style when you wear down?

I don't, really. The most I ever do is run a comb through it when it's wet and make a side part. I hardly ever wear it down though, so there's that.

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520) is a link to permissions, which will tell you when you get to see things. Remember that it's not automatic at 25 posts, and it can take a few days for your new permissions to kick in.

Tefnut
April 16th, 2011, 05:53 PM
My hairs a mess whatever i do with it. I've not found a rountine or style that best suits my hair it's just messy frizzy mess. but soft and shiney i'll give it that just not straight and not curly.

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520) is a link to permissions, which will tell you when you get to see things. Remember that it's not automatic at 25 posts, and it can take a few days for your new permissions to kick in.

Fantastic, super helpful to know this. Thank you very much.

I'd love to be like you and comb and go, but that's not in the cards since I want to shape my hair into something it's not. Perhaps that will change though if i gets healthier. Honestly the bulk of it is in decent shape - i.e. virgin hair, but heat styled semi-regularly (though I do go months without from time to time, but always 'relapse'). So, I figure if I CO a bunch, oil more and get rid of all heat for six months or so I'll be good to go. Thanks for all your help:)

Tefnut
What have you tried? damp bunning? Twisting? Rag curls? Wrapping? CO? Oiling? Cone free?

Firefox7275
April 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
By the way, how many posts do I need before I can look at people's pictures? And how do I create my own hair album? Sorry to be such a bother! Am having a hard time navigating the site a bit.

This will help you get your head around the posting rules, hair albums are part of your profile which you almost have access to. :)
http://www.longhaircommunity.com/
As far as navigating goes, if you play around with the grey toolbar at the top of the page various functions will appear. It took me a while to find the Articles and my profile because the clickies are 'camoflaged'.

fluffypuffy
April 16th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I shampoo (no pthalates, sulfates or any such nastiness in mine), condition from roots to ends and leave it in for about 5 minutes, then I detangle with my fingers, rinse well, squeeze out excess moisture with paper towels, and leave my hair be. My hair dries in smooth, frizzless ringlets that way :) Something to note though, if you try doing that a day after heat styling, your hair will rebel. It takes a few days (for mine, at least) to calm down after being straightened or blown dry. Good luck!

growingpains
April 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Firefox! I now have access to albums/profiles :) YAY! Love seeing all the pretty hair pics.

Fluffypuffy, thanks for sharing your routine.

I've decided that wurly is the best best for my hair these days. It seems to be the healthiest for my hair and best way to guarantee good results. I'm going to experiment with fun ways of styling for curls too like sock buns :)

And cone free CO, which I will do tonight after my deep olive oil oling. Can't wait to try my new organic cone free conditioner :)

YAY LHC. WHat a friendly community.