PDA

View Full Version : Hair Myth? Or Fact?

Gwen
April 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I've heard (from my hair stylist and others) that the longer it takes for you to blow dry your hair, the healthier it is. I realize that hair thickness affects the length of time it takes to blow dry though. But what do you think?

My hair is very thin, shoulder length. Yet it takes me a good half hour to blow dry it (with cool or hot air). Is my hair healthy? I wouldn't think so, since I have a lot of breakage, but who knows.

Gwen

TakeAPotatoChip
April 15th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I have never heard of that :/ The only reason I can think of that it would take longer to blow dry would be due to more overall hair?? I'm not a hair expert unfortunately. If it's true I'd really love to know why.

Kathie
April 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I disagree, when hair takes ages to dry it can indicate that its pours meaning that it’s damaged. But it can also mean that it long and thick which can have nothing to do with hair health.

FluffSpider
April 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Mine said exactly the opposite: because mine is easy to dry(well, with the hellhound she uses, anything would be easy to dry) it's healthy. But as Kathie said, it has more to do with the hair's thickness than the actual health

christine1989
April 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I've never heard that one before. It takes me forever to blow dry but that is just because I'm really bad at it and always get the brush stuck in my hair :laugh:. Naturally my hair takes hours to dry but I think it is more a factor of texture and thickness than of health.

Nevvie
April 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I don't think so. It's always taken me a long time to blow dry my hair and I've only recently started to get it healthy (and still have a long ways to go). I always figured it took me so long because my hair is fairly thick and curly. I never realized that other hair types had the same problem.

littlenvy
April 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Based on my own hair? I would say yes and no.
It is true that when my hair was at its most damaged it took almost no time to dry. APL hair would be dry within 10 minutes without blowdrying.
Now I my hair is on its way to greater health and I noticed two things, if I put oil on it pre-wash but not overnight, it will dry very quickly after wash. Its like the oils have protected my hair from intaking too much water.
If I do a conditioner treatment, or heavy oil overnight, it will take extra long to dry. As if my hair is super moisturised.
So to me it would be a combo of care, health and products.

Tefnut
April 15th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Not heard that ether, i know after you dye it it takes longer to dry. I dunno my hair has always taken ages to dry.

akevita2002
April 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
There might be a correlation, but it's something I am experiencing myself, so it's not the same for everyone. I noticed that dry hair (=> damaged) dries out more easily, maybe because it cannot retain water :confused:

pepperminttea
April 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
That's a new one on me. I could see how damaged hair or high porosity hair could dry faster, but with thickness and hairtype... there's too many variables.

Firefox7275
April 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
My hair takes longer to dry if I've used a heavy conditioner and/ or left the towel turban on for a while! I also take longer to dry it than the hairdresser because I am incompetent.

Cleopatra18
April 15th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Actually I heard the opposite.Healthy hair is easier to blow dry since it's more managable and smoother and dries faster etc
You may be talking about heat training,which basically means if you heat style your hair frequently (aka damaged),your hair will be straightened and styled faster.<---Fact
Also heat trained hair has a looser curl pattern which also makes it easier to heat style.

telegraph64
April 15th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Porous hair absorbs liquid, or anything for that matter, easier than smooth hairs. That is why dye takes to porous, bleached hair easier than healthy hair. So one should assume that hair that takes longer to dry, is either simply very thick, or is porous naturally, or is damaged. :flower:

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 12:30 PM
I only air dry and that takes forever! but as others as said I would think, thickness and length play a part.

kyandii
April 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
My hairdresser & stylist friend always says opposite, the shorter drying time = healthier hair.

Panth
April 17th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I've not heard that before. I think time spent (air) drying would be a function of length, thickness, texture, porosity/damage and any coatings on the hair.

I mention the coatings because a known effect of optimising the oil:shampoo ratio in the oil shampoo method is a reduction in time spent air drying.

Loreley
April 17th, 2011, 01:33 PM
I think it depends on the thickness and the length. I have very thick hair and blow drying takes a very long time. I never blow dry it completely and I do it only on my head.
Air-drying takes at least half a day when the weather is warm.

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 01:53 PM
^^ hijack Loreley your hair is my dream!

MusingFrog
April 17th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I would say the biggest impact on dry time would be the humidity of the air followed by the thickness of the hair. Humid climate = very long dry times regardless of your hair type. The thicker the hair the worse it would simply due to the density of the strands. I really can't see anything else making any kind of noticeable difference. Length would also impact things, but again, that could be taken into the "thickness" equation depending on how you looked at it.

Loreley
April 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM
^^ hijack Loreley your hair is my dream!

That's so kind! :flower:

*Rose Red*
April 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Iīve never heard that before. I think my hair is healthy, but I donīt need much time for blow drying.

rena
April 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I get the logic behind this idea; damaged, porous hair loses its moisture very quickly and would dry very quickly, but I don't know if its true or not.

luxepiggy
April 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think you can really compare person to person - everyone's hair is so different. For example, my hair has always been 100&#37; virgin and I can blow dry in under 10 minutes. I think it's more to do with hair thickness and dryer oomph (^(oo)^)

torrilin
April 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I don't think you can really compare person to person - everyone's hair is so different. For example, my hair has always been 100% virgin and I can blow dry in under 10 minutes. I think it's more to do with hair thickness and dryer oomph (^(oo)^)

We actually make a good pair of examples for this. You're a M, I'm an F. You're a i, I'm a ii. On the surface, it doesn't seem like we should have dramatically different drying times. And yet... it takes well over an hour to blow dry my hair. It's a huge hassle, and it's not that I'm bad at using a blow dryer. Same blow dryer, same me, but on my sister's hair and it's dry in a flash.

Air drying ends up being a lot less effort on my hair.