PDA

View Full Version : thin ends

no1auntt
April 15th, 2011, 01:31 PM
i am new heare and was wondering if anyone has problems with their engs getting thin scraggly? i get a trim every 3-4 months and it helps a lot but my ends are still thin looking. i used to have a hairdresser that would trim somehow without taking off length and she said it helped the thinning ends and it did but she's no longer there and noone else seems to know what i'm talking about

Finoriel
April 17th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums! :waving:
Maybe she just trimmed off the split ends to help it grow more healthy? You could do that on your own, it's often referred to as S&D ("search and destroy" :wink:) here. You'd just need to buy some hair-scissors and then you can snip off the split ends individually without loosing length.
The only downside of S&D is that it does thin out the ends long term. While the ends will become more healthy it won't thicken them up and you would need to do real trims occasionally in addition. But since you would not loose length for the purpose to trim off damage as frequently, it would help with growing it longer :)
[/pre-morning-coffee-advice-disclaimer :lol: I hope that made sense]

shikara
April 17th, 2011, 01:21 AM
An awful lot of people self-trim, and it's not difficult to do - can you get into the articles section yet or do you need more posts. You can do microtrims or a tad more if you like. There are methods for straight across hemlines, or U shaped. If you can't get into the articles yet, google something like 'video long hair self trim'. Good luck, and welcome to LHC!!

Mesmerise
April 17th, 2011, 04:08 AM
The trick I think is to cut no more than about 1cm or so when you have a trim, which helps the ends look less scraggly but doesn't remove length.

I also have fairly scraggly ends, and I'm now self trimming (1cm every 3 months until I reach waist) and hoping that will help them thicken while still giving me the length I want.

jackiesjottings
April 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I microtrim my own hair now and it does seem to help. I used to have a friend who did it for me but sadly we are no longer friends, but she just used to cut the minimum off, to even it up so I didn't lose much length. Now I just take about 1cm off about every two months and am maintaining at my current length (classic) while the ends even up a bit.

CurlAhead
April 17th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Can anyone explain what exactly thin ends are? Are you talking particularly about every hair "straw" or the whole hair? Because my hair has a little thicker part on almost every straw? :shrug:

Mesmerise
April 17th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Can anyone explain what exactly thin ends are? Are you talking particularly about every hair "straw" or the whole hair? Because my hair has a little thicker part on almost every straw? :shrug:

I think we're talking about the overall hemline than the individual hairs here. Many people, through hair loss and severe tapering end up with really straggly ends because of it... but not because their individual hairs become thinner (I'm pretty sure mine don't)!

jojo
April 17th, 2011, 07:58 AM
All long hair has thinner ends, it natural but if your talking about ends which are thin due to damage splits etc then either s&ding which will over time make ends look thinner or dusting each month or so will help thicken them up.

I prefer to just trim an inch or so and get rid of them all in one go.

Dark Queen
April 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Agreed with the self trimming. Make sure you're using a good pair of scissors that won't shred the ends, and do S&D every so often. I'm currently trying to thicken up my ends also, so I've been trimming Just about 1cm every few months or so. I'm trying to stretch out the time between trims, but I still see splits every now and then. Also what's your care routine?

MsBubbles
April 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
i am new heare and was wondering if anyone has problems with their engs getting thin scraggly?

What hairtype are you? How long is your hair? You will be able to do your own trims, and do them as regularly as you need to, to keep your ends tidy. And you alone control how much gets cut off.