PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an emergency hair style bag?

LittleOrca
April 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Well, I do!

Ever since I started actually caring for and about my hair, I have been packing little things into a coin purse that I have to make sure if I have a little hair emergency I can fix it. I started this with just a Ficcare so that I could quickly put my hair up on days I wore it down to the mall to keep those "Omg, try our flat-iron that will totally destroy your hair!" people from touching me. However, it evolved into virtually a little miniature salon in my purse that would help me deal with almost any hair issue that came up.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff176/Little_Orca/HairEmergencyBag.jpg

So here is my little emergency bag and it's contents! :)
The wiener dog bag is what all this stuff is kept in.
The spin pins (at the top) are always with me. I have 8 large ones and six mini ones (not pictured.)
The Visine is for my eyes, of course, moving on...
Two sets of hair sticks. Why two? Why not? :) Well, blue is my favorite color but the white and silver will go with anything. :)
The little Meneke-Neko bag holds in it several (18.) little mini hair scroos with fake gems on them. They are great for cute little accents in buns.
Three metal hair wraps that I use to accent the end of a braid.
A mermaid pill box filled with tiny, clear hair elastics for the ends of braids.
A tin can that used to hold kitty breath mints that is now full of bobby pins. Just in case a wisp of hair needs to be pinned into submission.

So that is what is in my bag. I thought it would be a fun thread to see if anyone had anything else like this that they carried around with them. So, at the risk of sounding dirty, show me yours!:lol:

FluffSpider
April 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I generally have a few bobby pins somewhere in my bag(only have one which I use alot-school bag) but the jacket I wear often has a scrunchy and a claw clip. Pencil case holds hair sticks, and my bag also contains some scrunchies. I have a French Barrette with a black lace bow which I use to accent almost any hairstyle or do assymetrical half-ups:looks great with hair which is starting to lose its curl. So as you can tell I don't have a specific 'kit' but I do have various things scattered around.

danacc
April 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I keep my emergency stash in my car. I have 2 dymondwood ketylos because they are water-resistant and go with everything, one large plastic jaw clip with filed seams, and a wooden detangling comb.

I just need enough to be able to get my hair up and contained. I haven't used the jaw clip in years; it is still there only because I've been too lazy to move it somewhere else. I need 2 ketylos because when I use one, it takes a while for me to remember to leave it back in the car again. :rolleyes:

pepperminttea
April 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
The majority of the time, I don't carry anything. When I wear my hair down though, I do tend to take a hair fork or pair of ketylos with me for good measure. ;)

Kathie
April 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I have a couple of soft hair ties and a couple of clips in my bag. I call them my bail bobbles. I often use the clips when I’m working and my face framing layers start to get annoying.

Othala
April 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
No, what I have is a hat that I take everywhere with me and in an emergency all my hair gets stuffed into that.

vanity_acefake
April 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have a million snag free elastics, several hair scroos, a handful of kirby grips (bobby pins) and a ribbon. They are not in any cute boxes like Littleorca though.
I seem to only use my hair scroos though.

Dark Queen
April 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
That's cool! Glad I'm not the only one :). I don't carry too much stuff, but I do keep a stash of 5 or 6 snag-free ties in my purse at all times, some bobby pins and I always keep an octopus clip on the strap unless my hair is already up (mainly in case I need to use the restroom, LOL).

CrisDee
April 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I never thought about it, but I guess I do have an emergency stash. I always keep a 4" Amish pin for a quick updo, and a Goody elastic for a ponytail.

RitaPG
April 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I always have a hairstick and a clamp on my purse, and keep an elastic on my wrist 24/7 :D

LornaDoone
April 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
If I am going out with my hair down I will slip a hairstick or two in my purse. And I have bobby pins, u-shaped pins and amish pins stashed in so many different bags 'just in case' that if I gathered them all up I wouldn't need to buy any more for years! :)

owlathena
April 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
My "hair bag" is just my purse! It has all kinds of goodies in it! Scrunchies, various clips, and even a little old lip glass tin that I keep coconut oil in for emergency dryness (or to use as chapstick!).

Dark Queen
April 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
My "hair bag" is just my purse! It has all kinds of goodies in it! Scrunchies, various clips, and even a little old lip glass tin that I keep coconut oil in for emergency dryness (or to use as chapstick!).

Emergency oil?! What a great idea. Mind if I steal that? :D

RitaPG
April 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing :D

jasper
April 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I think this is funny because I am so far from having one. I hardly ever carry anything that won't fit in my pockets. My hair has to survive any and all emergencies with whatever style and hair toy I stuck in it before leaving the house.

Fairlight63
April 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
This is such a good idea. I don't know how many times that I will be out & about & wish that I had a bobby pin, clippie or something to hold back my face fringe when it starts to get annoying.
I also like the idea of having some coconut oil on hand for when my hair or lips are feeling dry.

jaine
April 15th, 2011, 08:06 PM
My purse has a few spare hair toys too ... at the moment I have a french twist comb and some claw clips and bobby pins in there.

Cirafly24
April 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I keep an elastic and a few snap clips in the side pocket of my purse, just in case I have a hair emergency :) I also always carry a mini brush in my purse.

AnqeIicDemise
April 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I have a carton full of bobby pins in with my make up bag. Along with that I have a brush, a headband and a few pony tail holders. Does this count as an emergency beauty kit too? XD

owlathena
April 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Emergency oil?! What a great idea. Mind if I steal that? :D

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for sharing :D

Glad I could help!

Hotrox
April 15th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I usually have a small, travel sized, screw top jar of some leave in condish or gel incase my hair needs a quick smooth down. I also have various hair elastics, claw clips and bobby pins in pretty much every pocket of every bag I own!

Sundial
April 15th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have a small plastic case in which I store my emergency hair style stuff. I repack the stuff in there all the time though - if I are wearing something prone to slip like sticks or forks then I will pack something like Ficcare or Flexi8, vice versa.

I have an all-time emergency hair toy stashed the glove compartment of my car though and it doesn't ever change. I keep a mega Flexi8 in there because the Flexis hold like a rock even if I am having a slippery hair day and it serves to get my hair out of the way during impromptu topless (the car!) sessions in the event that I happen to step out of the house without my plastic hair style case, ie while clubbing when it is inconvenient to lug a huge purse along

shikara
April 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM
I like this thread:D All I have ever taken with me so far is a few large bobby pins, and a wide fashion scarf and if my hair starts looking silly, or getting dry, or falling out of its do and I don't have time to fuss, I just tie it on gypsy style. I think I will start leaving a mister bottle at my desk at work, and in my car......(toddles off to see if, in fact, other toys should tag along:o)

Dark Queen
April 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hmm, good point, I also keep my seamless comb in my purse too, I hadn't thought to add that. Glad to know there are others who are always prepared for messy hair :)

Kyla
April 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I keep my favorite hair fork, some bobby pins, and hair ties in my bag at all times. :) It is so useful, for I usually start the day with my hair down, and then get either bored or annoyed with it that way. Sometimes though I just grab the closest pencil and twist my hair up with that...

Loreley
April 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I usually carry only a comb, sometimes a hairstick as well.

HairStickler
April 16th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I always carry a comb, a scrunchie, and a ponytail holder in my purse. Now that I wear my hair up all the time, I don't use them anymore, but sometimes my daughter has a hair emergency and I use them on her.

racrane
April 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
This thread makes me smile, because I have things in my purse, too. I have several hair bands, a clip, some bobby pins that I might need for theater (theater major) and a mini comb that I almost never use but have just always carried around.

Avital88
April 16th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Haha the cat breath thing made me laugh.. I didnt know that existed! Really smart to carry that around with you,i just always put everything in my too big and unorganised bag and if i need something i usually have to search for it..So this is a really inspiring idea.
Oh and i love the small round things,really cute.

BranwenWolf
April 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hahaha... I was going to ask if someone did the same thing! At this point all I have is scrunchies, some smoothing/detangling spray and a brush, kept either in my purse the center console or the glove compartment of my truck. For a while I didn't have that and had to comb tangles with my fingers or even my mule's brush.

Muse
April 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I always have a ficcare in my bag. That's all.

dorothea-brooke
April 16th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I do this, too, but it's more like a bunch of different stashes all over the place. ;) I've got a short Ketylo stick and a small elastic in the zipper section of my wallet; several Scrunchies, some Amish pins, mini jaw clips, and more elastics in a zippered pouch in my school backpack; and an "emergency updo kit" in an Altoids tin (Amish pins, two sizes of clear elastics) that I keep by the front door.

Uh, phew! :lol:

Lostsoule77
April 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM
During the week I go out without a case so I always have a ouchless ponytailer in my pocket. In my bag, which I carry on the weekends, I also have a hair tie along with some mini clips in case my "halo" starts to really bug me. I also have a comb, but I don't think I've ever used it. Since joining LHC I've also started grabbing a hair stick or two if I go out with my hair down. Generally though I don't need most of it. Either my hair is up, or if it is down and bugging me I just throw it up into a knot bun. These tend to stay in my hair with no hair toys for at least a bit.

maddog_running
April 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Mine is tiny yet, but my hair is kinda short. I keep several bobby pins and little plastic elastics in a little pill box for emergencies, going to the gym, and when I just didn't feel like styling my hair before work and then suddenly feel the need to have it out of my face. It's not much bigger then a zippo so it's easy to stuff in my pocket/bag/purse/where ever.

SwordWomanRiona
April 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I usually carry a couple of elastics, some jaw clips and a barrette. Sometimes a hairstick. I think I should carry a little brush too, when I'm wearing my fine hair loose :rolleyes:

QMacrocarpa
April 16th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Inspiring thread! The only thing I consistently carry with me is a pair of metal-free elastics (unless I'm already wearing one of them) in the coin pocket of my jeans. Not enough for much versatility, but in a pinch I could cope with a braid until I got home. LittleOrca, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who twirls spin-pins together for compact storage! ;)

dreamsofthewind
April 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM
i usually have a hair tie in my purse, but i often put at least two bobby pins in (mainly for my chin length front section)
since i've started driving, i have acquired quite a collection of hair doodads in the family car. clips and pins and ties, oh my. not to mention a giant banana clip.

Dark Queen
April 16th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I have an idea. Being out at school all day on a hot day makes me wish I had thrown in a little jar of baby powder to soak up excess oils. I think I'll do that later :)

ibleedlipstick
April 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
When I first joined LHC, I carried a TON of stuff with me — a small jar of Panacea, multiple elastics and Ketylos, and spin pins galore. Now? I think I have a Ketylo in my car, and I had to wear my hair loose in ballet last week because I didn't have anything on me.

I have kind of gotten into the habit of making my hair stay up all day, but I have also gotten lazy. This thread is inspiring!

Honestwitness
April 16th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Here's what I carry with me at all times in ziploc bags inside my large tote bag:

1 bag of various bobby pins
1 bag of various covered elastics
1 bag of clips and barrettes
1 bag of small travel-size plastic bottles (a spray bottle for water, another spray bottle of hair spray, a squeeze bottle of conditioner, and a squeeze bottle of full-strength aloe vera gel)
1 bag with a very sharp pair of hair-cutting scissors wrapped snugly with several layers of thick paper towels

I also carry a curling iron wrapped in a dry terrycloth wash cloth, held on with a rubber band.

In my smaller purse that goes inside of my larger bag, I carry a wide-tooth comb, a fine-tooth comb, and a mirror. In my backpack, which I always carry with me also (I know - just call me a bag lady), I have a crocheted beret, a square silk scarf, a square cotton scarf, and an umbrella.

I believe in being prepared for anything. I ride the bus back and forth to work quite often, so I'm out in all kinds of weather. I almost always have to redo my hair once I arrive at work.

Now that you've caused me to take stock of all this, maybe having a pixie was easier, after all. *grin*

NouvelleNymphe2
April 16th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I always take my mini BBB with me when I leave the house (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7260&pictureid=100544). And perhaps lip gloss or lipstick. That's all though. :cool:

jil
April 16th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Great thread LittleOrca!
I can't believe I have never made an actual "hair emergency" kit, but I suddenly feel as though I need one!

Shoga
April 16th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I always try to keep some hair ties and such in my purse, but I did put a tiny pouch of bobby pins and ties in my bug out bag, lol.

ericthegreat
April 16th, 2011, 07:03 PM
When going out, I usually always pack a few hair supplies into whichever bag I'm carrying for that day. The size of the bag also determines what and how many supplies I can carry. For instance, in my LV mini man-purse, I can barely fit anything more than my pocket sized wide tooth comb and my cell phone. In my messenger bag, I can pack a bit more like a brush and a few hair ties along with a book or two, and in my big leather bag, I can carry anything from a paddle brush, a small BB brush, some hair ties, a big hair clip or two, and even two bottles....one shampoo and one conditioner if I'm going swimming at the pool and I need to rinse out the chlorine from my hair.

Cinnamon Hair
April 16th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Not a bag per say, but I do have a few places where I stash hairtoys for emergencies. I keep a fakkare beak clip, pony elastic, and seamless comb in my car glovebox. In my desk at work I have several kinds of pins (good hair days and bun heads), another fakkare beak clip, pony elastics, double pointed knitting needles, mini claw clips, a tiny brush for updo wispies, and another seamless comb. In my overnight bag I keep a ficcare maximas, seamless comb, pins, and a pair of papadonh sticks.

TheBluffs
April 16th, 2011, 09:25 PM
2 eleastics, and a hairbrush in my bag. You never know when a lake, a mountain, or people with 'Ohhhh! You hair Looooong hair! Mind if I PLAY with it?' show up. :D

Maelyssa
April 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I don't have anything like this but it's such a good idea! Thank you for the inspiration!

Pantha
April 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
What a briliant idea, a hair emergancy kit. I do tend to always have at least 2 metal free bobbles and a pair of hairsticks but I wish I was that prepared.

Freitzeit
April 17th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I carry a pair of hairsticks and a mini brush in my purse and 2 metal-free elastics on my wrist 24/7. I'm still new to updos so I don't need too much with me.

(this is my first post!)

dinnee
April 17th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I've grown so accustomed to wearing my hair up during the day that I put it up and don't touch it until I get ready for bed. Wearing my hair down makes me constantly think: Oh noezz breakage!

When I travel (I'm an airline pilot), I do take a hair bag with me. It has some big and small crunchies, bobby pins, a tiny bottle of coconut oil and a bottle of conditioner (I CO) in it. Oh and my beloved Tangle Teezer. Other than that I love to go looking for new hair stuff at whatever place I am at that moment. :)

And if I have to stay in a place for several months, I let my family ship in anything else I need, like extra oil or conditioner. :D

Dark Queen
April 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
1 bag with a very sharp pair of hair-cutting scissors wrapped snugly with several layers of thick paper towels

Not sure if this would help, but Conair makes a really cool set of hair scissors for travel with a plastic safety cover. They're slightly smaller than the typical hair scissors and fairly cheap too. I got a pair not too long ago to carry with me (add that to my list :D).

I carry a pair of hairsticks and a mini brush in my purse and 2 metal-free elastics on my wrist 24/7. I'm still new to updos so I don't need too much with me.

(this is my first post!)

Welcome to the forum :)

Stub
April 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM
I don't carry a bag of any sort but I'm in my car all day long so it has stuff stashed all over - comb and brush in the glove box, jaw clips of various sizes on the visor, elastics and scrunchies on the turn signal lever, bobby pins in the console....perhaps I should get a bag to keep everything in one place in the car!

PamelaViktoria
April 22nd, 2011, 04:00 PM
I have a desk drawer with a black horn comb and wooden detangling comb

rena
April 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Everything inside your bag (including the bag) is either very cute or very pretty! I <3 it :)