PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips To Prevent Ponytail Headaches?

KittyLost
April 15th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Recently everytime I wear a ponytail I get an awful headache, even when it isn't tied tight! I use metal free elastics too. I'm useless with clips and a ponytail is my go-to style as it fits most my layers. I usually just do a claw-clip when a ponytail fails but my top layers don't fit and I end up looking like I have a shag cut haha.

Do any of you have any tips to prevent ponytail headaches? Or alternatives to ponytails that will leave no headaches?

pepperminttea
April 15th, 2011, 04:29 AM
What about a peacock twist? :)

AuburnTresses
April 15th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I find a low pony (at nape) causes me less trouble than a high one, but you may not be able to do it based on the length of your layers.

Half up ponies can also cause less tension for me, but I prefer a pony. :)

CarpeDM
April 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yes I would second the low ponytail. I have a sensitive head and scalp and nearly every updo gives me a headache and pulls on my hair and scalp. What I find works best are low single or double braids...

Madora
April 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Perhaps it is just your roots rebelling against being held up in a ponytail?

Your hair has to be slowly "trained" to accept being pulled in a different direction.

I'm not a fan of ponytails but have used them on occasion. It is always better to distribute the weight of the ponytail by dividing it in two. Take one section and braid it loosely. Take the braid and wind it around the ponytail holder. Let the rest of the hair flow free.

Or you can twist the hair - or twine it and distribute the weight that way.

Or you can take the remaining free flowing hair, detangle it gently, then roll it up towards the ponytail base (in a giant curl) and pin it carefully on each side.

Panth
April 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I generally avoid ponytails precisely because they usually hurt. I think part of it is finding a point on your head where the ponytail can balance and the weight of the hair is evenly distributed. E.g. I have quite a narrow head and find a nape-of-the-neck ponytail best, can cope with an uber-high ponytail but usually suffer if the ponytail is in-line with my ears.

Secondly, I find ponytails always hurt but the same ponytail does not hurt when the length is bunned. I presume this is because the weight is more evenly distributed and is closer to my head so has less leverage ... plus, it can't tug as it swishes about as I move my head.

pixi_stix
April 15th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Change the type of ponytail holder you use. I use fluffy cotton type holders (Sorry I don't have a picture) when I go out. For indoors I use scrunchies. They hold well without causing a headache like the elastic styles do

veronicaleah
April 15th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I agree that a low ponytail doesn't seem to give me a headache like a high ponytail does. Also, the tiny scrunchies seem to be better than regular ponytail holders, since I find that a regular ponytail holder tends to pull at one individual spot no matter how carefully I adjust it. Of course, since I have major annoying layers right now a low pony requires a couple clips to keep the top bits secured.

KittyLost
April 21st, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for your advice everyone! I have experimented with changing the position and have found a one that causes no headaches but still keeps my layers more or less back too :)

I moved it lower down and the headaches are gone.

louisemg82
April 21st, 2011, 02:45 AM
Oddly enough, I find loose ponytails are more likely to give me a headche than tighter ones because I hate the feeling of the weight of my hair pulling down. However, I don't like wearing too tight styles for fear of traction alopecia so I suggest a nice braid instead. Works for me.

Nymph
April 21st, 2011, 05:36 AM
I always found this strange because it hurts when I wear a ponytail but not when I wear a bun, even if the bun is quite high and pulling on certain strands more than others.

I'll deff try what was suggested here.

Jomo
April 21st, 2011, 06:36 AM
I think it's because a ponytail creates movement and so, momentum and actual tugging, rather than just straight out tension. Probably part of why a high pony hurts so much more than a low one - it's actually hanging, swinging, and therefore actively pulling. A bun might be a constant tension on the follicles, but it's an even weight kept close to the scalp and so doesn't create the same tug.

jennydaesy
April 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
braids are much better..