PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss-Women

bettybc
April 15th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Hi Folks,

So I joined this forum a while back to help me grow out my super short hair. I have been really excited as it was the first rtime in years my hair was healthy from being short, natural, not colour treated and I have avoided heat where possible. It has been a slow journey and in a year I can tie y hair in a short ponytail. I was starting to notice recently that my hair was not growing so fast but my friend said maybe it was because it was winter and it grows faster in summer? don't know if this is true but went along with it. Over the last few weeks I have begun to notice my hair has thinned. I can see my scalp in certain lights. I have taken some pics of my head and it is noticably thinner. I have always had fione hair and sometimes it has been thin at the sides when in a pony in the past but this is on the top all over. I am now really worried and dissapointed. My hair dresser said it was most likely caused by stress. I have had a stressful year with my parents being ill but never thoguht this would happen. She suggested a thickening shampoo. I was hoping to start using bicarbonate of soda instead of shampoo soon but not sure what to do now. She also suggested coconut oil and vitamin tablets. I really forgetful about taking tablets but have started taking the ones you get in supermarkets for hair, skin and nails. I have also ordered argan oil and coconut oil. Until now I have just been using olive oil on my hair every now and then.

Has anyone else suffered the same befoer and what did you do?

The ironic thing is I'm trying tobe less stressed but this is now adding to my stress! lol..

Any help much appreciated.

betty

alyanna
April 15th, 2011, 03:19 AM
You have to go see a doctor asap. Make sure it's not hereditary hair loss (AGA), PCOS, thyroid issues, anemia ... etc, which each have their own specific treatments.

If you can rule out all of these disorders, then it's probably a phase that will eventually (hopefully) pass. The most you can do is make sure you take very good care of your physical and mental health and your hair by eating appropriately, taking vitamins and getting exercise. Don't forget to take advantage of all the different hair-pampering ideas that are all over this site!

I've gone through the same problem and it is not cool. Getting it treated asap, if necessary, is really important to "save" the rest of your hair.

bettybc
April 15th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks so muh, I am going on holidays tomorrow and will go to the doctor when I get back. My hair thinned before when I came off the contraceptive pill once but was fine when I went back on the pill, so maybe its hormonal. Back then I was bleaching it from dark brown to blonde so hair loss was to be expected! but this time I feel robbed as it seems worse and I have been looking after my hair so well!. The hair is nice and soft. It looks fine if I blow dry it or add volume/curls, you cant notice but I can notice it if I leave it a bit between washses to spread the natural oils or leave it to dry naturally. My hair is naturally greasy and I get really hot in bed so I have to wash every day or every other now that I can get it in a pony or I wake up looking like edward sciccorhands!!lol..

bettybc
April 15th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I've found on the internet that bhringraj oil on the scalp helps hair loss, does anyone know anything about this oil and how to use it? cheers

Firefox7275
April 15th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Unfortunately stress can have a detrimental effect of many bodily functions, including hair growth and the immune system. :( I agree with Alyanna that you should seek medical advice in case there is anything else that needs addressing. Vitamins alone will not feed your hair, it needs an array of vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein and calories. By far the best source of nutrients is a balanced diet, as a extra bonus healthy eating can reduce stress and balance hormones. There is a post on nutrition in the Articles section if you'd like to read more.

If you are interested in applying something topically then it's worth using the search function as you will get a much broader range of experiences and information than you will from one thread. :)