PDA

View Full Version : Is it really genetics?

Mírien
April 15th, 2011, 02:09 AM
Yesterday I had a hair conversation with my mother. As a young girl she used to have waist-length hair but she cut it very short after I was born and she still keeps it chin-length. I told her about a girl I saw who had knee-length hair and she said that not everybody can grow their hair long and that it's simply a question of genetics. I would have agreed with her a year ago but now being an LHC-er and having seen all your great progress pictures I cannot believe this.
For example my sister has shoulder-length hair and she says she would love to have it long but she knows that she cannot because it wouldn't grow. This claim made me very angry. My sister seriously neglects her hair, forces it into the same ponytail everyday, uses a brush on her curly hair even when it's wet, etc. It's not genetics what reduces her growth.
I know that everybody has a terminal length. But supposing that you take a good care of your hair I think everybody would be able to grow at least to tailbone. What do you think?
(Anyway, I started to contemplate to try and grow my hair till fingertip-length just to show my mother that it IS possible.)

pepperminttea
April 15th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Genetics do play a part, but I agree it would be rare to find someone whose hair has a terminal length shorter than tailbone. That said, if you genetically had a very damage resilient hair-type, it would be easier for you to get there than someone who had very fine, split-prone hair.

PolythenePam
April 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I know, that drives me crazy too. I believe everyone has their own terminal length, but "genetics" and my hair "just won't grow" I find is an excuse or they just don't know any better. Some people's hair grows like a weed that can't be killed. While others (like myself) need the extra pampering of protective updo's, not sleeping on cotton pillowcases, heavy oiling-etc. to get it and keep it long. Folks either don't know or don't want to do the work it takes.

PolarCathy
April 15th, 2011, 02:28 AM
(...)
I know that everybody has a terminal length. But supposing that you take a good care of your hair I think everybody would be able to grow at least to tailbone. What do you think?
(Anyway, I started to contemplate to try and grow my hair till fingertip-length just to show my mother that it IS possible.)

I don't agree. I think it's prob more like waist length and possibly even less for the kinkiest types of Afro-American hair.

I happen to have moved to Sweden and have lived here and in Norway for 5 years in different parts of both countries, everywhere from the very south to the very north (almost 2000 km in distance) and so I saw lots of different people here. I think (no offense meant) , vs. Italy or Spain (or even my country), most Scandinavians seem to have definitely thin and fine hair. Few have M or C hair in general. I think even with the best care that type of hair prob won't grow that long. I don't count hair that is like healthy until shoulder length and broken everywhere until mid back length with fifty healthy strands to tailbone.

Not mentioning the extreme climate, here where I live the winter is long, harsh and cold (say -30C or colder, easily, for several weeks in a row), windy and all. Here if I see someone with waist length hair that's pretty much as extreme as it gets. I don't think I have seen tailbone length hair here ever and I have been here (up north) for 2+ years and I have worked at the university (that's where most people are, because this is the end of the world ;) )

PolarCathy
April 15th, 2011, 02:30 AM
That's a good question though if these people with fine hair would move to Florida what would happen (what their terminal length would be, based purely on genetics). IDK.

alyanna
April 15th, 2011, 03:13 AM
That's such an interesting question. My hair has always grown quite fast, although it is thin and fragile. I've never worn it longer than APL or maybe just short of BSL. I'm really curious to see how long it could get ... and still look good!

Where I live now (Middle East), long hair is a lot more common than short. I actually cut my hair shorter at one point because I enjoyed looking different. Most women seem to have at least shoulder length hair, and BSL is your "typical" long hair. Waist-length is anything but unusual but it tends to be more common among younger girls and teenagers.

BUT, oddly enough, and despite how common long hair is around here, I've never seen long hair past the waist. It's almost a faux-pas... as well as waist-length hair for married women.

Panth
April 15th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Genetics controls the coarseness of each of your hairs, the wavy/curlyness of your hairs and the density of hair on your scalp. Genetics likely controls the time that each of your hair follicles spends in anagen (growing) phase and the amount of hair produced per month.

However, I (personally) think that it would be a very rare person who just "genetically" can't grow their hair to ... probably at least TB (stretched length for curlies).

Some people's genetics may mean their hair is fine or is sparse ... but that doesn't mean that they can't have long hair. True terminal length is a simple function of length of anagen phase x rate of hair growth (say, per month). They may reach false terminals because of damage, which may be more of a problem with fine/sparse hair, but babying the hair will enable them to get closer to their true terminal.

I wonder how many people who "just can't grow their hair past shoulder" straighten daily, rip brushes through their wet hair, never wear it up, dye/bleach it, don't use conditioner, let their hair freeze in the winter, let the wind tangle it, etc., etc., etc. In that case it is not "genetics" that is holding them back but their own habits. "It's genetics" is only an excuse.

Mesmerise
April 15th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I suppose it will depend on how long each hair lives for, and how fast the hair grows. If the hair grows very slowly and only lives 5 years (or less), then I would imagine that terminal length wouldn't be that long.

Someone with very thin hair (as in sparse hair rather than fine hair) may also get a shorter terminal length as they just have fewer hairs, while someone with a lot of hairs, may just have more hairs that keep growing.

So yeah, genetics DOES play a part in it! I have no idea what my own terminal length would be...but given that I seem to shed every now and then, I doubt it would be very long :rolleyes:. Well, I think I could maybe get TB...but not sure about classic or beyond. At the moment I have a LOT of taper due to shedding.

Mind you, I don't have too much problem with splitting or breaking if my hair isn't chemically treated. Even now, with ends that have been dyed several times over with box dye (no idea how many times... but it'd be quite a lot...because I never used to do root touchups, but always did my whole hair), I still don't get too much damage (some but not much), and I think if my hair was all henna only I'd get very few splits... so the hairs wouldn't break from damage...BUT I just don't know how many years my hairs live for, and thus no idea how long I could potentially get!!

Still, I highly doubt I'd be one of those folks who could get to knee or beyond!

PolythenePam
April 15th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I don't agree. I think it's prob more like waist length and possibly even less for the kinkiest types of Afro-American hair.

This is my hair http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/backofhead.png

some other fine folks:http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture3.png

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture5.png

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture6.png

Afro textured/kinky hair grows just fine and to long lengths. It just takes care. Don't believe the hype.

alyanna
April 15th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks for posting those pics, they're amazing!

I'm afraid it might be extra-hard to grow health long hair when it's fine, thin AND curly. I wish there were a formula! I think we need a thin AND curly thread ;)

CrisDee
April 15th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I get the same thing from my sister. Granted, her hair is very fine (as is mine), and she doesn't have as much of it as I do. But with all the heat styling and chemicals she subjects it to, as well as her extreme low fat, high refined carb diet, it's no wonder she can't grow decent hair! :(

Lianna
April 15th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Yes, it's genetics. The comment about afro textured hair was probably for the types 4 non-stretched...which can look shoulder length while in fact can be waist length (just an example).

If all she does is put in a ponytail (no heat, no relaxers, no dyes/bleach?) and brush while wet (some brushes are fine to do this by the way), I think it's quite possible that her terminal length is short. How curly is her hair? If you pull it straight couldn't it be way longer? "The same ponytail" everyday can actually be more protective than loose (less tangles).

heidihug
April 15th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Most (not all) women should be able to grow their hair past waist and up to hip length.

PolarCathy, if you see people with waist-length hair in Sweden, then it is down. And if people wear their hair down, that means they are subjecting it to the elements and friction, etc., every single day. Hair worn that way, especially if it is on the fine and thin side, will definitely be difficult to grow long because of the abuse it is subject to. However, if a fine and thin-haired person takes great care with their hair and wears it up all the time, even if in those conditions, they should be able to reach well past waist, or even hip. I know, I have somewhat fine and quite thin hair.

I would have sworn 15 years ago that there was no way that I could grow my hair past hip. I was very wrong. Yes, my hair is very fairytaled. But it is also over 50".

PolythenePam, your hair is lovely. And the other pics are indeed proof that afro hair can be grown to great lengths.

lacefrost
April 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM
I think in terms of ease in growing healthily, Cs would have it more because it's harder to get coarse hair to split and break.

Panth had a great point in saying that terminal length was a function of the different hair phases. So barring damage, technically your terminal length could be way longer than you think; it just wouldn't look as nice.

I have type 4 hair and my hair grows about 6inches or more a year. Last year I retained almost all of that length. I just wanted it shorter. :rolleyes: So right now my hair is just past BSL. Mwedzi's hair is longer than mine (past waist at least, I think) and while my curls will wrap around coffee stirrers, hers are the size of the "d" on a dime.

In terms of maintaining length and growing to the longest lengths, I think it's less about hair type as how you treat your hair. I know people generally think straight hair is easier but for me, whenever my hair is straightened, I don't know what to do with it. It gets everywhere! Drives me crazy! And when my straight-haired friends ask me to do their hair I just shake my head and back away. :lol: It's all about handling.

elbow chic
April 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I think part of is IS genetics. I've had almost the exact same conversation with my mom as the OP. Mom's hair was between BSL and waist for most of my childhood, and it might even be longer now. (It's been a long time since I've seen her with her hair down.)

She and I have similar wave and thickness, but her hair is probably classified as coarse and mine is definitely fine. I do believe hers grows faster, but it's also a lot drier. So there are significant differences too.

Part of it is that the stuff that works for her does not work for me, and since that was the only way she knew to approach hair care, we'd just shrug and cut it when mine would fuzz out in damage right at APL, chalk it up to genetics.

elbow chic
April 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
and, btw, love the pics of the afro-type hair on this thread. HAIR ENVY! lol

HintOfMint
April 15th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Terminal length is probably best described as "terminal time," instead, coupled with growth rate. That's what tells you how long your hair can possibly get and that's largely due to genetics (barring any nutritional deficiencies). However, certain hairtypes have difficulty growing longer because they're more susceptible to damage, regardless of how much time their hair will spend growing or how fast it grows.

ladyfey
April 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM
my hair grows like a weed and is knee length, my full sister's hair is very thin, breaks off like crazy even though she is gentle with it and will not grow past mid-back.

spidermom
April 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
I think it does come down to genetics. Good care can keep your hair from breaking off or shedding out prematurely, but length depends on how long in years each hair grows before it naturally sheds out. Some hair might grow for 10 years or more, others only 4. I think the average is about 6 years, which would give a length between hip to classic length, depending on how fast the hair grows. I had a roommate years ago who didn't cut her hair for 8 years, took pretty good care of it, and it didn't get longer than the bottom of her shoulder-blades.

BrightEyes7
April 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I believe it's a combination of everything.

Fine hair breaks easier than coarse hair, so those people will have a harder time growing. So in that aspect, the genetics affect it.

I have seen people who will pamper their hair and treat it like antique lace, but it doesn't grow.

My hair grows at an average rate, my sister's grows pretty fast, but DBF... his grows REALLY fast. He can shave his hair off completely with a razor, and by the end of the day he'll already have regrowth.

I do think that most anyone can acheive at least TBL. It may take a great deal of time for some, but it can be acheived with proper care.

GALISH
April 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
In the long hair game genetics are some kind of referees, they might limit you or not depending on how well you break rules with your mind.

Annalouise
April 15th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I happen to have moved to Sweden and have lived here and in Norway for 5 years in different parts of both countries, everywhere from the very south to the very north (almost 2000 km in distance) and so I saw lots of different people here. I think (no offense meant) , vs. Italy or Spain (or even my country), most Scandinavians seem to have definitely thin and fine hair. Few have M or C hair in general. I think even with the best care that type of hair prob won't grow that long. I don't count hair that is like healthy until shoulder length and broken everywhere until mid back length with fifty healthy strands to tailbone.

Not mentioning the extreme climate, here where I live the winter is long, harsh and cold (say -30C or colder, easily, for several weeks in a row), windy and all. Here if I see someone with waist length hair that's pretty much as extreme as it gets. I don't think I have seen tailbone length hair here ever and I have been here (up north) for 2+ years and I have worked at the university (that's where most people are, because this is the end of the world ;) )

Thanks:) I really appreciate your post. Genetics is most definitely a factor. My mother is Scandinavian and she has the finest, thinnest baby hair you have ever seen. I am 1/2 Scandinavian and I have not been able to grow my hair to waist despite trying for about 10 years.

Your hair type will determine how long your hair grows and how strong it is at those lengths.

When you have very fine hair, which has no medulla, by the time that hair gets half way down your back you can roll it between your fingers and you cannot even feel it that is how fine it is. And it just tapers to nothing, literally, nothing.

It's not that some people don't know how to care for their hair, it is that their hair is not the same as other people's hair.

So you might be comparing apples and oranges and expecting an orange to be like an apple. Just because they are both fruit doesn't mean they are the same.

littlenvy
April 15th, 2011, 11:26 AM
IMHO, genetics play a great part but mostly in thinckness, colour and type of hair. Lenght for most part is due to care and hormons (or other medical issues).
I know I will never have medium hair and most likely will never get out of the i/ii thickness but I have seen ladies with the very same type of hair way pass knees :cheese:, gives me hope.

hairspastic
April 15th, 2011, 11:35 AM
This is an interesting idea. I know for me. It haunts me sometimes. What if I can't make it to the length I really want? I know that would really hurt me.

Having grown up around people who often times have never cut their hair their entire life for spiritual/religious reasons. I can say in my opinion a lot of it has to do with genetics. But I think it might be more "personal" genetics.

I know a girl and her sister who have both never cut their hair their entire life. I'm pretty sure they have similar haircare routines. One sister has hair that is almost classic length and the other sister has hair that won't go past bra strap length. Luckily it seems that the sister with shorter hair doesn't mind much at all. If it were me I'd be heartbroken. Their mother has also grown up never cutting her hair, and I believe their grandmother the same thing. They have passed down the hair care techniques and knowledge.

I also have someone who is related to me who has not cut their hair since they were a small child and they are in there 20's now. However she is the first generation to take on that commitment and consecration. She has very long hair but it's difficult to tell because most of it breaks off before it reaches terminal length. You have to look carefully to tell that her hair actually reaches her hips. Sadly, most of it has broken off mid back. I think a lot of that is the way she cares for it. I know she would like to do more with it. But she doesn't think she can. The difference between the different women is both genes and the way they care for it.

I also know someone else that has hair that grows like crazy. She has classic length hair and doesn't do ANYTHING. She doesn't want to put any effort into it. She couldn't get it to break off if she tried. It actually looks really striking and I know she doesn't baby it; not does she know any special ways to care for it.

Who knows. :-)
Right now I have hair that is almost tailbone length. My hair is extremely difficult. I used to baby it more. But since having a child and breastfeeding, etc. and often having to share a bed with a high needs child my haircare routine has gone by the wayside. I'm not able to keep up with it much, as much as that bothers me. My hair has broken off a little but thankfully seems to go no shorter then belly button length. I wish I was able to baby it. But I lack experience to do so with severely limited time and a baby attached 24/7. I'm learning more from being on here!

Anyway my point is it all depends.

Tefnut
April 15th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don't know my family hair history really....Everyone in my family has kept their hair shoulder length or shorter....as far as i know i've had the longest hair....which the tip was at my waist but that was when i was 17? i think i cut it after that....Has never been as long since. So....we shall see. I don't have hair like my mum or dad i've kind of a mix. My dads is fine and curly yet my mums is very thick and straight.

jesis
April 15th, 2011, 12:42 PM
What you find might be true for your sister isn't always going to be true for you. My little sister abuses her hair. Flat iron every single day, constantly bleaching it, and she's always complaining about how it's too long and it grows too fast. Now, look at me. I baby my hair, flat iron it maybe once every 2 months, eat well, exercise, put my hair up a few days a week, s&d, and my hair doesn't even usually grow the average 1/2"!!!

I would say that there could be genetics that might affect some people's growth rate, terminal length, etc. :) Just my two cents.

Cleopatra18
April 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM

What?
Have you seen the long hair care forum?:rolleyes: :D
The only issue with AA hair is that it needs a ton of moisture which is sometimes hard to provide and therefore people can't retain the length.But heck, NOTHING beats long African American hair.
ETA: I remember seeing an african american girl on youtube who had i think tailbone-classic length of CURLY hair,I'm pretty sure it was no shorter than knee when straightened.I hope someone has the link to that video,it was so pretty!!

gogirlanime
April 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for posting those pics, they're amazing!

I'm afraid it might be extra-hard to grow health long hair when it's fine, thin AND curly. I wish there were a formula! I think we need a thin AND curly thread ;)

Agreed, that's my hair and I'm trying to get it a little above waist length.

Sooze
April 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Interesting thinking going on. I know from my own experience I used to be able to grow my hair to waist length with little bother. Since I hit my early forties my hair does not grow past APL without looking really naff and like rats tails.

However, since last August when I discovered LHC I've adopted a regime of benign neglect, and have trialled and adopted a number of practices suggested on the forum. I've gone from around just below chin length to shoulder length in 10 months. It's looking much better health wise than it was, so I'll let you know if I can get beyond my "now" terminal length of BSL beyond which I haven't been able to grow myhair in the last 8 years. Watch this space!

danacc
April 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Well, it could really be genetics.

Human adult scalp hair has an approximate maximum length of 100cm (39.4 inches) according to Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair by Clarence R. Robbins. He goes on to say that this typically occurs in the late teenage years, and in the mid- to late twenties, it begins to gradually shorten.

I would think that 39.4 inches would be tailbone on most, but not all people. Also, this is an approximate maximum, not an average.

On average hair grows about 6.2 inches per year. The growth period typically lasts 4-6 years depending primarily on genetics (assuming you are getting adequate nutrients and water). This would mean a terminal length of between 25.8 inches and 37.2 inches. Certainly most folks on the lower end of this scale will not have tailbone length hair, no matter how little damage it gets. And just like these forums have examples of folks with terminal length longer than 37.2 inches, there are also people who will not achieve the lower end, 25.8 inches.

I agree with other posters that there are a lot of beautiful lengths on long-hair boards that would lead you to a different conclusion. But remember that these are long-hair boards. A lot of people here will be those that are successful in getting good-looking, long hair. It's pretty easy to believe that we're not a good cross-representation of all terminal lengths.

Othala
April 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
This is my hair http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/backofhead.png
Afro textured/kinky hair grows just fine and to long lengths. It just takes care. Don't believe the hype.

PolythenePam, I totally agree and you have wonderful long hair that proves the point beautifully.

I grew up with lots of black Caribbean girlfriends most of whom believed (brainwashed I think) that they could not grow their hair past shoulder-length unless they had Indian or White ancestry in their genes.

Then a 12 year old Ethiopian girl with (non-relaxed, non-pressed or straightened in any way) waist-length hair joined our class and blew everyones mind and pre-conceptions away. She had lovely hair, was totally African and she and her family really knew how to take care of their natural hair hence it retained length.

Kinky hair of whatever origin, like any other texture of hair, grows and grows. The only factor in how long it grows is how it is handled and cared for and of course, the persons terminal length.

haibane
April 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Well, it could really be genetics.

Human adult scalp hair has an approximate maximum length of 100cm (39.4 inches) according to Chemical and Physical Behavior of Human Hair by Clarence R. Robbins. He goes on to say that this typically occurs in the late teenage years, and in the mid- to late twenties, it begins to gradually shorten.

I would think that 39.4 inches would be tailbone on most, but not all people. Also, this is an approximate maximum, not an average.

On average hair grows about 6.2 inches per year. The growth period typically lasts 4-6 years depending primarily on genetics (assuming you are getting adequate nutrients and water). This would mean a terminal length of between 25.8 inches and 37.2 inches. Certainly most folks on the lower end of this scale will not have tailbone length hair, no matter how little damage it gets. And just like these forums have examples of folks with terminal length longer than 37.2 inches, there are also people who will not achieve the lower end, 25.8 inches.

I agree with other posters that there are a lot of beautiful lengths on long-hair boards that would lead you to a different conclusion. But remember that these are long-hair boards. A lot of people here will be those that are successful in getting good-looking, long hair. It's pretty easy to believe that we're not a good cross-representation of all terminal lengths.
But the LHC way of measuring hair from the hairline at front adds something like 8-10" to the length compared to the actual length of the longest individual hairs (which for most people seems to be the hairs growing from mid-back of the head.)
So a 25" or 37" of terminal length of each hair would be more like 35-47" using the LHC way of measuring, so even the shorter length would be closer to hip/tb and the longer halfway to knee or so.

I'm curious what methods they used to determine that the typical terminal time is only 4-6 years. Which groups of people did they use as a sample, etc.

Babyfine
April 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks:) I really appreciate your post. Genetics is most definitely a factor. My mother is Scandinavian and she has the finest, thinnest baby hair you have ever seen. I am 1/2 Scandinavian and I have not been able to grow my hair to waist despite trying for about 10 years.

Your hair type will determine how long your hair grows and how strong it is at those lengths.

When you have very fine hair, which has no medulla, by the time that hair gets half way down your back you can roll it between your fingers and you cannot even feel it that is how fine it is. And it just tapers to nothing, literally, nothing.

It's not that some people don't know how to care for their hair, it is that their hair is not the same as other people's hair.

So you might be comparing apples and oranges and expecting an orange to be like an apple. Just because they are both fruit doesn't mean they are the same.

I'm 1/2 scandanavian, too, and my hair is even finer and thinner than my Mom, who's 100% Swedish,and has thicker, fuller, hair than me. No Medulla!
I had my hair down to a few inches below BSL but cut it back in January because the last few inches were so see-through. However, I've always wondered how long my hair would grow. It does grow fairly well, just tapers off so much.

danacc
April 15th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Measuring from the mid-back of my head, 26 inches hits right at tailbone. But, I'm only 5'4", and short-waisted, which led me to conclude that 25.8 inches would be shorter than tailbone on most people.

PolythenePam
April 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
PolythenePam, I totally agree and you have wonderful long hair that proves the point beautifully.

I grew up with lots of black Caribbean girlfriends most of whom believed (brainwashed I think) that they could not grow their hair past shoulder-length unless they had Indian or White ancestry in their genes.

Then a 12 year old Ethiopian girl with (non-relaxed, non-pressed or straightened in any way) waist-length hair joined our class and blew everyones mind and pre-conceptions away. She had lovely hair, was totally African and she and her family really knew how to take care of their natural hair hence it retained length.

Kinky hair of whatever origin, like any other texture of hair, grows and grows. The only factor in how long it grows is how it is handled and cared for and of course, the persons terminal length.

It does seem like brainwashing doesn't it?? I get so frustrated when I see black women put weaves in their hair because they don't think it will grow so they don't even try. And then it becomes a vicious cycle because you can't take care of your own hair under the weave, the hair becomes more damaged/neglected-so then you have to get another weave, and on and on.:justy:

Don't get me wrong, it takes work. One of my best friends is Korean. Sometimes she'll use shower gel to wash her hair, let it dry, shake it and walk out the door. And her hair will look fabulous. If I did that my hair would be in a dry ball knotted up so tight only prayer and meditation would get it loose. I have to go the extra mile for my hair. But I do and it rewards me. I don't have special growing hair. I just know how to take care of it (and I'm here picking up more tips). I just want to spread the word to those afro-textured women who DON'T know.

Firefox7275
April 15th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Your entire post was interesting, but I'd just like to add to this part. As fas I can determine many LHCers don't start out wanting terminal or knee length hair, they head for waist, say, and then extend their goal. There are a ton of other LHCers languishing at mid-back trying to get a blunt hemline or grow out damage before they contemplate longer lengths. What I am trying to say is that having strong growth could be a subconscious part of the decision to aim for super long hair and vice versa.

haibane
April 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM

It does seem like brainwashing doesn't it?? I get so frustrated when I see black women put weaves in their hair because they don't think it will grow so they don't even try. And then it becomes a vicious cycle because you can't take care of your own hair under the weave, the hair becomes more damaged/neglected-so then you have to get another weave, and on and on.:justy:

Don't get me wrong, it takes work. One of my best friends is Korean. Sometimes she'll use shower gel to wash her hair, let it dry, shake it and walk out the door. And her hair will look fabulous. If I did that my hair would be in a dry ball knotted up so tight only prayer and meditation would get it loose. I have to go the extra mile for my hair. But I do and it rewards me. I don't have special growing hair. I just know how to take care of it (and I'm here picking up more tips). I just want to spread the word to those afro-textured women who DON'T know.
This is very interesting to me, because I have typical scandinavian hair, and I have found AA hair type routines to be very beneficial to my hair, especially this last brutally dry winter.
I never knew how dry my hair really was before I started the more extreme methods of pretty much pushing moisture into it. And now my hair is much less split and break prone, and much softer and well behaved with this kind of routine.
I used to think I wouldn't be able to get much beyond hip because my hair just seemed to fall apart, but with this, it just seems to keep on growing. :D

PolythenePam
April 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM
This is very interesting to me, because I have typical scandinavian hair, and I have found AA hair type routines to be very beneficial to my hair, especially this last brutally dry winter.
I never knew how dry my hair really was before I started the more extreme methods of pretty much pushing moisture into it. And now my hair is much less split and break prone, and much softer and well behaved with this kind of routine.
I used to think I wouldn't be able to get much beyond hip because my hair just seemed to fall apart, but with this, it just seems to keep on growing. :D

A lot of the products and routines are going to be able to cross-over/be beneficial because in the end it's all just hair. Some of the products made for AA hair-not necessarily the stuff you'll find in the drugstore or supermarket-but the smaller companies online ( and sometimes health food stores) that are hand making natural organic products targeted for textured hair are FANTASTIC and making quality products. If you're looking for a good dose of moisture you can find it there.

haibane
April 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
A lot of the products and routines are going to be able to cross-over/be beneficial because in the end it's all just hair. Some of the products made for AA hair-not necessarily the stuff you'll find in the drugstore or supermarket-but the smaller companies online ( and sometimes health food stores) that are hand making natural organic products targeted for textured hair are FANTASTIC and making quality products. If you're looking for a good dose of moisture you can find it there.
Thank you! I'm going to have to see if I can find any of those.
I think the common factor might be the fragility of the hair, and routines for preserving fragile hair will help whether the hair is straight or really really curly. :)

RocketDog
April 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
My boss has not cut her hair since she was thirteen. She is in her mid-50's now and her hair is barely past APL, virgin, no heat-styling, no rough treatment - she wears it in a loose braid or ponytail every day. Her mother had similarly short terminal length according to what she's told me. Super short terminal lengths DO exist, just like the insanely long past-floor-length termi's you see in photos.

Mesmerise
April 15th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Sometimes when I read threads like this I start to panic lol. I am sure my terminal is not THAT short... but I do worry that I won't even get it to the lovely hip length that I want!!

However, I think this is just me being paranoid lol. I do have relatively fine hair, but it doesn't break easily (the only time I've ever encountered broken hair was when I damaged the absolute heck out of it through perming, straightening and reperming, as well as coatings of hair dye)... sooo... I guess I worry that my terminal length is just naturally short! I've never ever had hair beyond waist so I just don't know!

Well I guess I'll have the answer in a couple of years time!

littlenvy
April 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Sometimes when I read threads like this I start to panic lol. I am sure my terminal is not THAT short... but I do worry that I won't even get it to the lovely hip length that I want!!

However, I think this is just me being paranoid lol. I do have relatively fine hair, but it doesn't break easily (the only time I've ever encountered broken hair was when I damaged the absolute heck out of it through perming, straightening and reperming, as well as coatings of hair dye)... sooo... I guess I worry that my terminal length is just naturally short! I've never ever had hair beyond waist so I just don't know!

Well I guess I'll have the answer in a couple of years time!(bold by me)
^THAT! :):)

LOL. Yes, I will join you in this. We will see where we end up at.

jesis
April 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM

My roommate is AA and her hair grows really fast. All she does every day is throw some cheap gel in it and throw it up in a bun and then leave. She hardly ever wears it down, doesn't use any oils/special brushes/anything else on it. She gets trims maybe once a year. She straightens it about once a month. And it just grows and grows. I'm always so jealous because in the time it takes me to grow about 4" of healthy hair, hers will grow about 8-10". Not even joking. I just don't get it!

Buddaphlyy
April 16th, 2011, 11:45 AM
The "is it genetics" question is the same old "nature vs nurture" question. And my answer is always the same. Its not nature OR nurture, but nature AND nurture. Whatever your genes decided for your hair is what it will naturally be. But you have to nurture your hair to see its full potential.

I have fine, slow growing hair. At most, I get 4-5 inches in a year. But thanks to my hair care routine and products, I am able to retain a good 90% of what I grow and therefore gain length. I don't know if I will reach my ultimate goal length, but I do know my hair today is longer and stronger than it was a few months ago. So I just say I'm on the right track and will continue to do what I am doing until my hair tells me otherwise.

TheBluffs
April 16th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I think genertics play some part. My parents have both thin hair, of dark colour. my mother can't grow hair hair parts BSL. My hair is meduim, of blonde colour, and TB. It turned out that I have my grandparents hair, as my grandmothers hair was knee. Though I think your genertics kick in about classic.

CurlyCreature
April 16th, 2011, 10:12 PM

some other fine folks:http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture3.png

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture5.png

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n553/Photoshareforme1/Picture6.png

amen to that!

PS: you're hair is BEAUTIFUL!

principessa1984
April 24th, 2011, 11:42 PM
PolythenePam, you have gorgeous hair (as do the ppl in the other pics)! I do think genetics have something to do with it, BUT it's not based on race or curl pattern. It's true that both curly and fine hair are more fragile, but if one has a normal growth rate and anagen phase, ample conditioning trumps fragility.
I think terminal length can kick in early when a person's anagen phase is shorter than normal and their hair grows at a slower rate. Even though I don't think this is super common, it can be true of any hair type.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM
It all boils down to how you care for it, if the ends are dry and damaged you will loose length due to them breaking off, so this can give the impression that your hair has even stopped growing or is growing slower than you think.

Genetics and diet play a huge part in growing your hair to its programmed potential. Think of hair like a plant, now all plants are programmed to grow to a certain height and design, if the plant receives inadequate food, water and sunlight it will wither, die and never reach its potential. Hair is the same our genes give us all different designs beit, curly, wavy, straight, thick or thin hair and each hair is programmed to reach a certain length and texture. However, if we abuse it and don't feed it, hydrate it, it cannot reach its full biological potential. (Of course hair is dead but the root part is very much alive) hope that makes sense!

When you join the world of LHC, you are seeing hair in its most beautiful, these people have nurtured and looked after their hair, some reach floor length but others who have looked after their hair just as nicely may never grow past classic because this is their programmed potential length. The same person who has grown to floor length hair, if they had never found this site and abused their hair may only reach say waist and think this is the longest their hair can get!

Dark40
May 8th, 2020, 09:13 PM
Yesterday I had a hair conversation with my mother. As a young girl she used to have waist-length hair but she cut it very short after I was born and she still keeps it chin-length. I told her about a girl I saw who had knee-length hair and she said that not everybody can grow their hair long and that it's simply a question of genetics. I would have agreed with her a year ago but now being an LHC-er and having seen all your great progress pictures I cannot believe this.
For example my sister has shoulder-length hair and she says she would love to have it long but she knows that she cannot because it wouldn't grow. This claim made me very angry. My sister seriously neglects her hair, forces it into the same ponytail everyday, uses a brush on her curly hair even when it's wet, etc. It's not genetics what reduces her growth.

I also feel the same way. Me and my mother had a discussion about hair today as well. Especially, my aunt's/godmother's and 2nd cousin's hair. She often tells me just before I was born they both had hair down to pass their butts, and she also told me that my aunt often wore a thick plait to pass her butt. But she had never seen her wear her hair hanging down or loose. When she told me all of this I said, "Wow, her hair/plait must have been really long!" And, if also must have been really long when it she wore it loose as well! So, that gave me some encouragement in having me thinking that if both my aunt and cousin had had pass their butts before that I can also grow it that long as well. Especially, if I took the majority of my genes after my dad. In which i did.

Kalamazoo
May 9th, 2020, 03:32 AM
There's an AA man at work who has his hair in dreads. It's very thick and long. I asked him how long it is when it's down. He said it was down to his knees the last time he had it down, 7 years ago...

Tinyponies
May 9th, 2020, 04:05 AM
There's an AA man at work who has his hair in dreads. It's very thick and long. I asked him how long it is when it's down. He said it was down to his knees the last time he had it down, 7 years ago...

Magic of knots though is you’re never quite sure how much of it is still attached to your head, as everything is retained...