PDA

View Full Version : Who is fond of their layers?

racecar
March 12th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Honestly, all I seem to see are threads or posts dedicated to evil layers or growing them out. Lately. I've been feeling matronly and am thinking of cutting a few light layers in the front for less of the "pilgrim" look. I worry about reducing my ability in sweeping my almost-waist length hair back but think it might be a better alternative to a big hack!

Who loves their layers?

CurlyNinja
March 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Me! Me me! I like mine! I know I'm only BSL, but I'm planning on keeping long layers even as my hair gets longer. They help my curls bounce up better and have more movement instead of all hanging flat.

redcelticcurls
March 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I love my layers. It helps me avoid the pyramid head.:heartbeat

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to keep my ends on the thick side so have no layers in the back, but I LOVE the layers around my face. They expand my hair style possibilities 100-fold. If I need to have them back and out of the way, I can twist and pin with pretty little accessories, or do a Dutch braid very close to my hairline, then sweeping back. But most of the time I love leaving some down to soften my style.

Nicole.Amina
March 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I used to have layers and I loved them. I'm planning on getting layers cut again. I started cutting my hair myself and I didn't know how to cut layers so I gave myself a blunt cut and I hate it because now I have MAJOR triangle head.

rubyredslippers
March 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I love my layers. It helps me avoid the pyramid head.:heartbeat

That's exactly why I love my layers, Celtic Curls. Yay for non-pyramid head-hood! Mind you my layers are fairly long, affecting only the last 2.5-4 inches of my hemline.

LindsayNichole
March 13th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I love my layers! I had mostly grown them out, but I actually cut some around my face just today, and absolutely love it. I'll probably cut some a bit shorter, more like long bangs, but my hair lays sooo much better in the front with the layers. I want to cut some more all around, to keep my hair from puffing out so much. But I do love the layers already. :D

Marianne
March 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Me :inlove:

In fact, I cut some more in last night. I like to wear my hair down a lot, and one length hair doesn't suit me so much like that. It's taken a bit of trial and error to work out how to cut them myself, but I like that I can style my hair just as I want, without worrying I will pick a bad hairdresser.

Alley Cat
March 13th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I love my layers, I have face framing layers and now recently layers at the back:)

florenonite
March 13th, 2008, 03:13 AM
*raises hand exuberantly* I do! I also have them to avoid the land of pyramid-heads. Mind you, I'm a bit less thrilled with them now that my hair's getting longer and more weighed-down, thus diminishing the pyramid-head, but I will keep my face-framing ones even when my hair gets really long.

Hella
March 13th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Yep, definitely love 'em. They're a pain at times, but life is sometimes.

savi
March 13th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Me! I love my layers, even though at times they stick out of braids etc. But overall they've made my daily life easier. And with this face there is no life without face framing layers.

Gemma
March 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I love my layers. :)

All one length just doesn't work for me. I have way too much voluminous hair. I get the 'triangle-head' look and feel really unattractive.

Plus, a few layers encourages my waves to curl slightly, and I love that!

Morticia
March 13th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I love my layers. They aren't evil at all. In fact, they're dedicated to truth, justice, and world peace.

jel
March 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I love mine - I started growing from a heavily layered shoulder length cut, and now the shortest layers are nearing BSL and I have a lovely (to me!) V-shaped hemline and artificial fairy tale ends!

OK, that should have been split into several sentences. :o

yzkaloha
March 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Another one here... I love my layers! Just like others, without them, I would have triangle head.

Are you thinking of cutting it yourself? If you have a stylist you trust, I would say go in for a consultation and talk to him/her. Get them to tell you exactly what they are going to do. Then make an appointment for a later date, so you have time to think about it or maybe visit a couple of stylists.

For me, haircuts have always been a big deal, so I always think about it. Currently I have been thinking about a trim for the last month and have decided to wait till the summer... maybe;).

suicides_eve
March 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
i :heartbeat layers! they make my curls really springy:D

Madam Librarian
March 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I love my layers! A few weeks ago, I had one length hair after some self trimming to remove damage. The hair at the back got so snarly and tangled that I rushed to get layers put back in my hair within days.

I will keep my layers as I grow my hair out. The layers help so much with making my hair behave that it is totally worth it to have some straggly bits poking out of updos.

Leisha
March 13th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I love my layers! In fact, I'm planning on cutting more (in my last trim I cut sort of straight across, and I'm starting to miss my layers :) ). Maybe today after I wash! :D

I agree on what has been said before. Layers seem to give my hair more movement, encourage waves, discourage trianglehead etc :D

I like more "messy" updos and I don't mind the layers poking out. Only in braids it's sometimes a bit annoying (lots of taper and bits poking out. But not too bad either, it's worth it.

I cut my hair myself, I do sort of Feye's self trim method for a V-shaped hem, that gives some soft layers.

I might combine that with a "compact cut" for layers next time, not sure yet though.

MerryKat
March 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
I cut my layers by pulling my hair forward and making a ponytail in front of me in line with my nose, I then pulled the band down to near the ends of the shortest bit at the front (ex-fringe)and cut! I think this is called the compact finge cut and usually you do this to cut a soft layered fringe - I just extended it to include all my hair.

This gave me a lovely layered effect and it has now grown to the point where the shortest layer (ex-fringe)is almost shoulder length and the longest is just past BSL.

I love my layers because this cut got rid of all the damage that I had on the ends from countless chemical abuses and it gives me the effect of fairytale ends and I think it looks really pretty. It also helped with Pyramid head when my hair was shorter and before I got my frizz undercontrol with NW & oiling.

vindo
March 13th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I like my bangs and face framing layers. I am growing out my regular layers (currently at waist)
to even up the thickness of my length. Im not sure if I would get new layers once all my hair is even..but that is a long time from now..first non-virgin hair and unevenly tapered and layered lengths have to go. :)

goodenough
March 13th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I love my layers. But I really have more of a shaped hemline than actual layers, because my U hemline just continues all the way up to my long bang (chin length. If I didn't have to wear my hair up for work, I would even cut it to a shorter bang(bottom of nose). My hair is two inches from waist in the back.

I like it because I feel like I have a "real hairstyle" on those occasions I wear it down (occasions where handling kids and shopping bags are not involved) I feel like it has a more romantic, soft look. I certainly don't need more thickness, so that's not an issue for me, but if your hair is thin, it might not be a good option. My daughter's is thin, and with each layer that grows out, it looks twice as good.

In the end, I think everyone wants a healthy look to the hair. I prize a "soft" look, because I think I'm a caring person with a good sense of humor, and I don't want to look severe because I'm not:)

The only downside is braids, but since I wear them more for bed or workout, I'm not too concerned about that. I think a messy bun is in anyway. I usually wear a low ponytail, but my bun is fine, too.

Neon Gloss
March 13th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I loved my layers so much!

But s&d is easier without them. ;( sigh.

Neorah
March 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'm currently in the process of growing my layers out, because I've had them for as long as I can remember and I'd love to see what my long hair looks like with a blunter cut... But I definitely prefer a somewhat v-shaped hemline, and I'll probably always keep a little layering in the last couple of inches of my hair.

Celebrian
March 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Layers please! I do them myself (compact cutting) and would look severe without them. ;)

Nightshade
March 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I love my layers! While I have been looking to make my taper a little less severe, I love the shape that they give my hair and how I can use them to frame my face with updos. I have no layers in the back, just in the front: one at lips, one at collarbones, one at BSL, and one at waist/there's where the U shape hemline starts.

The braid taper does suck, and my layers are very light, but I know part of that is the thinner damaged hair at the ends as well.

CopperHead
March 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
My hair is way too thick to go without layers, I have found out. I can wear it down now and have it look good. It has gotten so wavy and even curly on the ends that I need it thinned out some to get rid of the bulk. I do the layers myself, so I do have control of them.

Missy
March 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I just got front layers yesterday and I love them. My hair is fine so I was afraid to try layers, but my stylist did an oustanding job. I will be maintaining with layers.

Islandgrrl
March 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I have longish layers and I really like them. The shortest layer is right below my shoulders and the longest is inching down to BSL.

getoffmyskittle
March 13th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Wellll, I don't quite have layers (used to, growing them out because of horribly thin ends) but I do have a nice deep U that I love and will probably take even deeper with my next trim! It makes updos a little uneven, but I've never been one for the not a hair out of place look, so I don't mind that. :grin:

Chamomile betty
March 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I like my long layers. I have tried to go all one length but it's just too heavy and bulky and that was above BS length. The long layers also make my wave/curls look nice and full.

I think a few peices in the front would look nice.
When it comes to layers don't do anything too drastic like getting them all over or too short though. I think that's the key.

racecar
March 13th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Layers please! I do them myself (compact cutting) and would look severe without them. ;)

yes...this is what I finf myself running into as my hair gets longer and heavier...a sort of severity that I'm not able to work.

I think I may go for chin length bangs and another light layer aound collarbone (maybe just past?). I am toying with a U or V shaped hem.

I love/need the option of updos....Messy or not...Braids are not a factor because I am somehow braiding-challenged,

Thank you all for the input!!

stepha
March 19th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I do!:heart:
They give me bounce, curl, body and style versitility. I can even pin into a believable bob ( modified from the fordmodel youtube video).

abqbelly
March 19th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone, well my hair has been kinda breaking off for years, but because of that, my layers never have grown out... that and now the S&d i'm doing. anyhow, i think it gives my hair a pretty tappered look in the back

Wanderer09
March 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I still haven't decided whether to grow some of my layers out or not, but I must say I like them. They make my thick hair so much easier to manage. :) The only problem is that I can't make a proper braid.

prosperina
March 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I like layers that were cut for a particularly hair style. For instance, I had a heavily layered bob, and now my hair is a good deal longer, but still layered--everywhere. Front, back,several in the back. As the shortest layers start to hit collar bone, I'm more and more happy with my hair. It's just that I dream of one length locks....

Laululintu
March 19th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I loved the face framing layers I had back when I still had my hair trimmed by a hairdresser. I can just about do a half-decent u-shaped self trim, but I don't trust myself enough to attempt layers, so my layers have now caught up with the main length.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
i love layers, i think they make long hair look so much better, but i dont like how they make my hair harder to trim

kittensoupnrice
October 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I agree with what most people say here.
I love my layers, even though I feel a bit guilty for liking them, seeing all of the negative attention they get.

Not only do I have growing out face-framing layers, but I also have a sharp taper. I found that once I got to a certain length, trying to have layers made my ends look too ratty? Or at least very strange, since it looked like an attempt at a blunt cut with just the fairy ends. So now I go for tapering cuts along with the layering.

On the down side, yes, your braids and buns will be fuzzy. On the upside, I just tell everybody that my buns are intentionally messy!

noelgirl
October 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I like mine! I'm growing them longer, but I'm maintaining the ones around my face, since I think it looks softer. The shortest layers, which used to be bangs, are now below my chin, and there are a few in-between tendrils between that and my length (waist). I like it because even the shortest layers are long enough to go back into an updo or half-up if I just want it out of my face.

Vrushali
October 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Oh I do!! I have heavily layered lil-past-BSL hair. They make updos messy and interesting but I love mine!:)

Bellona
October 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I think a lot of people (myself included) who are growing out "evil" layers are doing so from a shorter cut because they tend to be more choppy than the longer layers those in this thread have :)

Layers from a pixie or a layered shag or bob don't look too great when growing out, so that's probably why you see a lot of growing out layers threads!

I had layers when my hair is long, and when it gets there I intend to have them again. :D

MAO
October 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I actually look better with a few layers, it helps my curls form together. I had it blunt cut earlier this year and after a couple of months still couldn't get used to it and didn't think it looked very good on me so I went back and had a couple of layers added back in with some long bangs.

LisaB234
October 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Any suggestions on where to look or how to search for pictures of long hair with face framing layers? Particularly long hair pulled back with fringe/layers left out of the updo? I'd love to see some options!

SurprisingWoman
October 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Wow, this thread makes me wonder if I should cut layers.

I don't think I am going to. My hair isn't in updo's very often because I am not talented in that area but I like the blunt ends.

DMARTINEZ
October 29th, 2009, 10:39 AM
This time around Im growing out my layers and keeping them! I want to see how
it will look with long and layered!! Blunt and no layers didnt look good down,but
then I never wore it down. Maybe "with" layers I will.....hmmmm?

Deb

imposterpockets
November 25th, 2009, 08:10 AM
A-ha! I found the layers people! :D

I am new to this whole long hair thing and I was seeing post after post about growing out and getting rid of layers, but I think my hair might need them. My face looks better framed a little and my hair is straight with just enough wave to look weird unless there are a few layers to break it up.

I guess then my new question is whether the layers someone (like me) has with short hair can be useful once the hair is longer, or if the longer hair would have to have long-hair specific layers cut? Should I let my current layers grow out and then have new ones put in when I reach a longer length?

missjessiecakes
November 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I love mine. Well obviously not right now but when I did have hair to speak of I loved them. Not in the back. The back of my hair has too much volume but I love it around my face it cuts down on the circleness of my features. So my guess is even when I have beautiful long flowing hair I will have some shorter layers in the front to frame my face and make my up-dos less severe looking.

That and layers and curls seem to work well together and the longer my hair gets the wavier/curlier it gets.

Speckla
November 25th, 2009, 08:16 AM
My hair looks better with layers. It's a little flat at the crown right now since it's mostly one length. I am not going to layer it though. I want to see what my hair looks like all one length and really long. I'll decide on layers after it's grown out. It goes into a bun so much easier without layers and pieces sticking every which way.

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I love my layers :crush: and just had them cut a little deeper this weekend!

I have a fringe that I usually sweep to the side (as my hair parts on one side naturally).

Shorter graduated layers in front frame my face in a flattering way but are still long enough to tuck into an updo. A layered hemline at the back gives bounce and movement while taking away excess fullness/"pyramid hair".

Wind
November 25th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I currently have short bangs and a relatively blunt cut, with a few face framing layers and I love them. The longest I've had with layers is between BSL and wait, at TBL it was blunt. I agree that layers can look awful growing out, since I'm growing from chin right now. I have gone in several times in the past year to get them shaped up, mostly when I hated my hair. It has really helped, and I'm planning on keeping them, growing to BSL this time.

DMARTINEZ
November 25th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I am on the fence about mine.... I have several layers,and I am growing my hair
out again with them.Its too early to tell if Im fond of them . ;)

Deb

UncommonTart
November 25th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I have long, thinning layers and I love them. They take a great deal of weight off of my scalp, which is mostly noticable when I put my hair up damp. I have frequent headaches, and that much weight hanging off of one or two point on my scalp really used to exacerbate them. They also seem to break up the wave pattern in my hair, which makes my hair look more "wavy with loose curls" and less "poofy wedge-head." I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with my hair since I just reached my "goal length" but I'm pretty sure that layers, in some form, are going to be staying.

Gypsygirl
November 25th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I love my layers and bangs! I don't think I'll ever go back to all-one-length. :)

kimannabella
November 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't mind if mine went away to be honest.

imposterpockets
November 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I guess my plan stays the same: keep the current layers and wait to see if they need alteration at longer lengths.

I've noticed just from flipping through these posts that most of the people who are happy with their layers are iii hair thickness. Mine is a generous ii, so I have high hopes. :)

Tabitha
November 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I've noticed just from flipping through these posts that most of the people who are happy with their layers are iii hair thickness.

Good observation! a blunt hemline at this kind of thickness especially coupled with waves can cause the dreaded triangle-head phenomenon - the shorter the hair is, the more pronounced this tends to be.

Wicked Princess
November 25th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Me! Me! I love my layers! AND I posted in a thread about growing out frustrating layers.

Right now, the ends of my hair have some damage that I am slowly cutting away. This will inevitably leave me layer-free. Once I reach my short term goal of classic (not too far off), I'll maintain at roughly that length until that damage is gone and have new, long layers cut in!

I'm happily awaiting the day I can fix my current layers, because I like layers!

psvzum
November 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I love and need my layers. It helps with keeping my curls looking good ; )

marikamt
November 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I am not anti-layer in general... right now, I do not like mine because I have too many (from chin to just above waist), but I think I will always have some..... I would like face framing (and I have bangs) and a few in the back ..... I do think it gives my hair shape.....

Aditi
November 25th, 2009, 11:07 PM
i love my layers :crush: they make my wavy hair look great.I am planning to cut some in the first week of dec as i have an important occassions coming up.

fawn
November 25th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I love long hair without layers - I adore my daughter's hair and keep it layer free, but taper it from the front.

But my OWN hair is another story - I get triangle head because my hair is very very thick and somewhat coarse. I also seem to have a ton of hair on TOP of my headm and quite a but of wiggly texture that make it even poofier. So it absoultely needs layers, though they need to be long or my hair actually gets crazier. When I was a kid my hair looked like Albert Einstein. Not a great look:)) Same reason why I cannot blowdry, or my hair walks after I do:)) I love my layers, it makes my hair very carefree, actually.

23_seconds
November 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hehe I never realized "pyramid head" was used to describe the poofy/unlayered look. To me "pyramid head" means something else entirely different. :D

Anyway I also love layers. Right now my hair is rather thin so I don't have any in the back, but I do have them framing my face just a bit. I think they soften the look of updos (for my own face type) and make it a bit interesting.