PDA

View Full Version : Best fantasy movies!

Fingolphin
April 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Since there seem to be a lot of fantasy fans here, and also because so many fantasy films seem to feature some great hair, what are some of your favorite fantasy movie? They don't have to have long hair; live-action only, please, not animation. Here are some of my faves.

The Lord of the Rings (definitive)
Star Wars movies (yeah, I consider them more fantasy than sci-fi)
Ladyhawke
The Neverending Story
Krull (oh, it's beyond cheesy, but in that fun, 80's kind of way)
The Dark Crystal
Excalibur

ElvenArchess
April 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM
The Harry Potter films are my absolute favorite fantasy movies [that I've seen, which I guess aren't very numerous when I think about it]
The Chronicles of Narnia: the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Pan's Labyrinth
Alice in Wonderland
Lara Croft movies
Ella Enchanted
the Batman movies (I know, not really "fantasy" but I love Batman; I can't wait to see the Dark Knight Rises!)

Also! Fantasy movies I want to see/read the books if they're based off of one: Dungeons and Dragons, LOTR, Bridge to Terabithia, Beowolf, and the Spiderwick Chronicles.

ouseljay
April 14th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Princess Bride, definitely. And Willow. I can't bring myself to add the LOTR movies, for some reason, I think because for me they pale in comparison to the books. (Princess Bride, on the other hand, is so very much better than the book.)

I'm not a big movie person, I guess. :p

Magdalene
April 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
The Princess Bride
Labyrinth
Legend

Fingolphin
April 14th, 2011, 12:52 PM
The Princess Bride
Labyrinth
Legend

How could I forget those? :)

Fingolphin
April 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Also! Fantasy movies I want to see/read the books if they're based off of one: Dungeons and Dragons, LOTR, Bridge to Terabithia, Beowolf, and the Spiderwick Chronicles.

Bridge to Terabithia was pretty good. The D&D movie (the one with Jeremy Irons) was dreadfully awful. Really.

Siiri
April 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Obviously The Lord of the Rings. But the best has to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Love the catchy songs. My favourite scene is the one with Arthur talking to the peasant, if someone has seen it.

Karmi
April 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Great movies listed here, my fav's being Labyrinth, and The Dark Crystal, as mentioned.

I want to add an amazing cartoon movie, I can watch it over and over and over and it is always interesting and fun to watch: Howl's Moving Castle. It's a Hayao Miyazaki film, based on a fantasy novel. Another of his that is also very good is Spirited Away. I watch these regularly in bed, like a night light.

If you haven't seen either Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away, I implore you!!

Hylia
April 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Lord of the Rings
The Dark Kingdom:The Dragon King
Pans Labyrinth
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth

Not many, but I think there should be more fantasy movies, I cant wait for The Hobbit.

vanillabones
April 14th, 2011, 03:34 PM
omg Spirited Away ♥♥♥♥♥ (although OP mentions non-animation) :p
I spent $30 to finally buy the DVD :/ worth it. Still butthurt on the price... insanity.

Karmi
April 14th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Oh, whoops! It does not pay to skim posts. My bad for mentioning cartoons.

Fingolphin
April 14th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Oh, whoops! It does not pay to skim posts. My bad for mentioning cartoons.

That's okay. The ones you mentioned are very good indeed! :) Love Miyazaki.

Venefica
April 14th, 2011, 04:43 PM
*Lord of the Rings Trilogy
*The Craft
*Practical Magic
*Ladyhawk
*The Mists of Avalon
*The six Star Wars movies (I see them as Fantasy to.)
*Legend of the Seeker TV series (Good series though horrible compered to the books.)
*Merlin (1998 film)
*Dune (David Lynch)
*Dune and Children of Dune Miniseries)
*Charmed (TV series)
*Reign of Fire
*Dungeons & Dragons
*Dragon Heart
*The Golden Compass
*Prince Valiant (1997)
*The Troll Hunter
*Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
*Hocus Pocus
*The Harry Potter movies
*Snow Queen (2002)
*Dinotopia
*Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
*Hellboy 1 and 2
*Underworld trilogy
*Blade trilogy
*Dracula (1992)
*The Matrix trilogy
*Van Helsing
*Bewitched
*The Mummy 1,2 and 3
*Sky High
*Eragon
*The Lady in the Water
*Night at the Museum

Just to mention a few, there are so many great fantasy movies out there that it is impossible to mention them all.

QMacrocarpa
April 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure why I'm thinking of this film in connection with this genre, but my contribution is: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

[...] If you haven't seen either Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away, I implore you!!
The book Howl's Moving Castle is even better than the movie! :)

Madora
April 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
My pics are from Hollywood's Golden age:

1) I Married an Angel - MGM 1942
2) The Little Princess with Shirley Temple 1939
3) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court Paramount 1949

Great wigs in all of them!

humble_knight
April 14th, 2011, 10:10 PM
[quote=Madora;1561117]
3) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court Paramount 1949 /quote]

Yup, I love this film, too and remember it for the long- haired Princess :)

The original 1980s Clash of The Titans and the 1986 Highlander film stick in my mind as favourite childhood films.

Loreley
April 15th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I love Desideria and the Dragon Ring and The Secret of Moonacre.

Aurantia
April 15th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast. It's wonderful.

Lippytoes
April 15th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Willow is so amazing. *happysigh*

Fingolphin
April 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Willow is so amazing. *happysigh*

I really loved Willow as a kid; now I just kinda see it as a Tolkien rip-off in almost every way, I guess. But I still find it very enjoyable. Val Kilmer is really good it it.

CrisDee
April 15th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oooohhh, this is a wonderful thread!! I love fantasy films, you're giving me so many great ideas for my Netflix queue! :joy:

HuggyBear
April 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Some fantasy films with great hair:

Princess Bride - Robin Wright (my all-time favorite movie)
Enchanted - Amy Adams (love her hair color)
Underworld - Kate Beckinsale (perhaps, one of the most gorgeous women in the universe)
Alice in Wonderland - Mia Wasikowska (saddened that she cut off those beautiful locks)
Ghost Rider - Eva Mendes (movie wasn't that great but Eva looked beautiful)

Lippytoes
April 16th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I really loved Willow as a kid; now I just kinda see it as a Tolkien rip-off in almost every way, I guess. But I still find it very enjoyable. Val Kilmer is really good it it.

When I was a kid, Willow was so the fantasy thing I needed, because the LotR movies hadn't yet come out, obviously. :) Nowadays I can see it as totally separate - there's something magic about the atmosphere. And yes, Val Kilmer is great in it! Hairspiration :D

PrincessBob
April 16th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Many of my faves were posted long ago by others, but since fantasy is a rather broad category, how about these (only partially animated) films?:

The Phantom Tollbooth
Bed-knobs and Broomsticks
Pete's Dragon

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
When I was a kid, Willow was so the fantasy thing I needed, because the LotR movies hadn't yet come out, obviously. :) Nowadays I can see it as totally separate - there's something magic about the atmosphere. And yes, Val Kilmer is great in it! Hairspiration :D

I find that 80's fantasies in general have a very special "vibe" or charm to them that modern ones lack.

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Many of my faves were posted long ago by others, but since fantasy is a rather broad category, how about these (only partially animated) films?:

The Phantom Tollbooth
Bed-knobs and Broomsticks
Pete's Dragon

Loved Bedknobs and Broomsticks as a kid! :)

CrisDee
April 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I find that 80's fantasies in general have a very special "vibe" or charm to them that modern ones lack.

Hey, you know, you're right! I wonder why that is?? :confused:

Sunshineliz
April 16th, 2011, 09:53 AM
*Willow
*Princess Bride
*Labyrinth
*Neverending Story
all the Chronicles of Narnia
Krull
Ladyhawke
Ella Enchanted (although the book is ALOT better)
A Fairy Tale
Wizard of Oz
all Harry Potter
Faerie Tale Theatre (TV series)

*First four are my absolute favorites!

(I like the IDEA of LofTR, but just can't get myself to like the ALL of the movies or books, :()

BTW I wish they'd make a GOOD movie about the Prydain Chronicles. I love those books! Disney's Black Cauldron wasn't very good.

Fingolphin
April 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
BTW I wish they'd make a GOOD movie about the Prydain Chronicles. I love those books! Disney's Black Cauldron wasn't very good.

Good idea! I wonder why they've never been optioned. I loved them as a kid. Yeah, the Disney version wasn't very faithful.