PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Split Ends

joyfulheart18
April 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I tried to search this, but couldn't find anything. I've heard a few ideas (such as wear your hair up more) but what other ideas do you have to prevent split ends? Also, by "wearing hair up" would braids count or only things like buns that lift your hair off of your back? Thank you.

FluffSpider
April 14th, 2011, 11:32 AM
1) minimise rubbing.that means that loose hair is more damaging than a braid, which is more damaging than a bun(in the bun, your hair doesn't rub against anything. In a braid, it's contained and protected, but can still come across friction).
2)extensive use of cones 'hides' splits by temporarily 'glueing'them. If you used cones and stop, you'll notice splits due to the cone layer being stripped away and exposing some damage.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head.Happy growing!:)

spidermom
April 14th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Some have had success with catnip tea soaks. I've recently begun experimenting with this, and even though I rinse the tea out after a good soak, I can definitely feel that the tea left something behind in a good way because my hair feels very smooth after a soak. My method is to steep about 1 teaspoon of catnip herb in about 1 to 1.5 pints of hot water in a small saucepan (cover the pot). After the water is cool, I thump on the lid to knock the drops back down into the tea, then I go have a nice warm bath with the saucepan near my head on the rim of the tub. I stuff my length into the saucepan and let it soak while I read or relax for awhile. Then I rinse my length with cool water.

Oh, and I have a "tea-spoon" to put the catnip in. You open it by squeezing the two-part handle, put the herb into it, then close the spoon.

Panth
April 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
There are several routes based on preventing damage (mechanical, chemical, heat, etc.). Split ends are one of the obvious forms of damage. Preventative methods include:
- reducing / cutting out the frequency or temperature of heated appliances (curling tongs, straighteners, hairdryers)
- always detangle gently before brushing/combing
- use a wide-toothed comb / fingercombing as first detangling method
- reduce / cut out using a brush (for some people / hairtypes)
- reduce / cut out chemical straighteners or perms
- reduce / cut out hair dye, or use natural dyes or less damaging dyes, only touch up roots instead of re-dying the whole head
- if you do S&C, use a less-harsh shampoo, only on the scalp, or dilute the shampoo
- don't pile hair onto your head when you wash it - either sling it over your shoulder or wash it "upsidedown"
- reduce / cut out teasing/backcombing
- keep your hair from under your coat collar / bag strap

As far as protective styling goes, some people consider "contained" styles (e.g. plaits) to be "protective" whilst others (like me) only consider styles to be protective if the hair is up off the collar. The idea with protective styling is:
- to use hair-friendly toys (so, most notably hair-friendly elastics/bands/hairties)
- to vary the hairstyle day-to-day to prevent tension being concentrated on one point (e.g. where the starting ponytail is) which may cause damage / pull out hairs
- to not do any hairstyle too tight (to prevent alopecia from too much tension)
- to prevent mechanical damage / tangling situations e.g.:
- windy days causing tangles
- rubbing on collars/scarves
- rubbing between you and the chair back
- rubbing under bag straps
- being sat on (by you ... by other people ...)

Some people also think that the white dots that often preclude split ends may be caused by dryness, so a routine or special treatments that increase moisture may help if this is an issue for you.

As far as easy protective styles, I suggest the Nautilus bun which is my every-day bun. I think Torrinpaige has a tutorial on youtube. Other styles I like are the pretzel bun, the logroll, heidi braids, plaited cinnabun done using a french plait for sturdyness (today's style) and, for when your hair is a bit longer, a simple english or rope plait pinned to fake a crown braid.

EDIT: I notice some others were writing as I wrote. :p

Fluffspider makes a very good point. It is impossible to eliminate damage; it is impossible to completely stop split ends developing. You should decide on the level of damage limitation that still enables you to enjoy your hair. E.g. plenty of people know that wearing their hair loose, or dying it crazy colours, is damaging. However, they accept/deal with the damage because for them loose hair / funky colours are part of how they enjoy it - and there's no point having your hair any way if you don't like it!

BabyRay33
April 14th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I second the catnip, I really like how the oils make my hair look afterward. I use the tea-spoon that spidermom mentioned as well, but I still end up getting some little bits in my hair...lol.

But it does work.

aenflex
April 14th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Frequent micro-trims have helped me minimise splits. Also as little manipulation as possible, and keeping hair moiusturized.

joyfulheart18
April 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone! Thank you to everyone for your tips. Thank you Panth for all of your information and suggestions on hair styles. I will certainly try them out. :) The reason I'm trying to avoid split ends is I want to reduce that ammount of time I have to cut my hair so that my hair can keep growing. I'm getting a trim soon and I am hoping to start fresh in preventing splits.