PDA

View Full Version : My experience using sulfate free shampoo and conditioner...

MrsGuther
April 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
So I recently switched to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I generally don't use products in my hair (hairspray, leave ins, or anything of that nature). In the past few days since I switched to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner my hair has had way less volume, it feels dry and straw like on the very ends, and I am generally feeling like I'm having a "bad hair day" every day. What gives?!? I don't want limp, straw for hair!!!

I thought that using a "gentle" sulfate free shampoo and conditioner would be awesome for my hair. Now I'm ready to go back to my old stuff and stop the bad hair days!!! :(

Anybody else had this problem?

ilovejimmy
April 13th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Yes I Have. I Also Switched To Sulfate Free Shampoo And Cond. And My Hair Is Very Dry,im Not Sure Why I Thought It Was Better For Your Hair????

MrsGuther
April 13th, 2011, 09:34 PM
I thought it was supposed to be better for your hair too! I am so frustrated. I hate when my hair feels dry!!! :(

HintOfMint
April 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
The driest my hair has ever been was with a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate-free shampoos can be really harsh too, people forget that. Basically, unless you have an allergy/sensitivity to sulfates, I can't really recommend going sulfate-free, I don't see much of a point to it.

I've found much more success in going CWC, and limiting how much any shampoo touches my ends, but that's a matter of technique, not product.

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 09:58 PM
This is interesting, maybe this is why my hair is so dry all of a sudden! :mad:

Fingolphin
April 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Personally, switching to non-SLS shampoos has generally been great for my hair. That may not be for everyone, but do take care and do good research: some German studies have shown that SLS can actually cause hair loss.

MrsGuther
April 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
The driest my hair has ever been was with a sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate-free shampoos can be really harsh too, people forget that. Basically, unless you have an allergy/sensitivity to sulfates, I can't really recommend going sulfate-free, I don't see much of a point to it.

I've found much more success in going CWC, and limiting how much any shampoo touches my ends, but that's a matter of technique, not product.

Thanks for your advice. I had no idea that sulfate-free shampoos could be harsh too! :( I'm definitely going to be looking into getting a much gentler shampoo ASAP!

MrsGuther
April 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Personally, switching to non-SLS shampoos has generally been great for my hair. That may not be for everyone, but do take care and do good research: some German studies have shown that SLS can actually cause hair loss.

I will definitely have to read up on the subject a bit more. I'm curious to read about the German research linking SLS to hair loss... eekkk!!

MrsGuther
April 13th, 2011, 11:19 PM
This is interesting, maybe this is why my hair is so dry all of a sudden! :mad:

I hope we both find the best solution to our dry hair, and soon!!!

Mírien
April 14th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I am sulfate-free since last December and my hair seems to be happy with it. But yes, you must note that there are some sulfate-free shampoos which contain some other stuff which are not loved by all heads (e.g. parabens, propylen-glycol, etc). Personally, I use an organic shampoo free of these. In addition, you should consider that if you switch to sulfate-free products your scalp needs some time to adjust to them. So give it time. When I went sulfate-free I experienced some shedding in the first three weeks but after that I shed much less than with sulfate-poos and my hair is softer and shinier now. Or you might think over what conditioner you use. For me a simple herbal-ACV rinse does the trick. :D Good luck.

alwayssmiling
April 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
I'm happy with sls free shampoo. I find it cleans my hair pretty well and my frizz is pretty much down to zero. I still use a sulphate shampoo every now and then my hair feels bad (dry, crunchy, waxy, velcro-ey) this is between once a week and once a month.

Aveyronnaise
April 14th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I use a very gentle , natural sulfate free shampoo and it has worked wonders for my itchy head, dry scalp and the frizz of my hair .
It is much softer , and definitely in better condition, but I started oiling a lot more recently so I think it is partially that.

Firefox7275
April 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM
Have you tried each component of your new routine separately? It may be the shampoo is too harsh, or perhaps the conditioner is not rich enough. Also did you clarify before starting and have you also gone cone-free? You might be seeing the real condition of your hair without cones.

virgo75
April 14th, 2011, 04:56 AM
I think it depends on the brand of sulfate free and the other ingredients.

What brands are everyone else using?

I recently bought 2 sulfate free shampoos: California Baby Shower Gel and Shampoo, and Nature's Gate Baby Shampoo(they didn't have the Herbal Shampoo that I wanted).

The California Baby was incredibly harsh! The first time I used it my hair felt like I washed it with household cleanser - it was soooo rough and dry. Afterwards I read the bottle and it said something about being concentrated so after that I diluted it by putting less than a teaspoon in an 8oz bottle filled with water and used that. It had the same effect as before- dry, rough hair. I also tried it on my son who has a sensitive scalp and his scalp was shiney(over dried) and he had HUGE flakes. Not sure what to do with it now. :confused:

The Nature's Gate is the exact opposite- very gentle and even leaves my scalp a little oily(I oil pre-shampoo so may not need to with this) and my ends don't feel dry or coated/oily.

I haven't used Giovanni's shampoos but their conditioners have a lot of protein and leave my hair dry and straw like as described in above posts. Depending on the brand, some of you could be having dryness from protein.