PDA

View Full Version : Supplements / Topical Treatments For Hair Growth?

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I'm curious as to what supplements everyone takes here for hair growth, why, and how are your results?

I have gotten almost 1/2 inch in two weeks doing all of this:

Supplements

MSM

I take 750mg of MSM twice a day, I hear it extends the growing stage of your hair it also contains sulphur which is important for hair growth

Silica

500mg once a day to help strengthen my hair

Biotin

1,000mcg three times a day, I split it up so that my body can digest it better and so that I'm getting a lot of biotin all day

Collagen
This is supposed to help your body produce more/better quality kerotin. I take 6 grams with vitamin C on an empty stomach before bed

Hyularonic Acid
150mg a day with my collagen on an empty stomach before bed. This helps retain moisture in your body, including your hair.

Royal Jelly
I take 1,000mg of Royal Jelly twice a day to get the ratio of amino acids, vitamins, and other nutrients. It's said to help moisturize your hair. It is made by the queen bee to feed the worker bees and contains hormones and nutrients to help grow bees to be strong. (it's also said to make your boobs bigger lol)

Multivitamin
Take this for obvious reasons to make sure I get my nutrition

Fish oil
I take New Chapter's WholeMega fish oil, it's pure and has Rosemary in it (which is said to be good for the hair too) I take 1,000mg three times a day to keep hair strong, shiny and moisturized

Choline / Inositol
I take 1 pill that contains 250mg of Choline and 250mg of Inositol. It's good in general for the hair and if you drink coffee/caffeine your body is robed of it, I drink one cup of coffee everyday so I take this to replenish what's lost.

Topical Treatments

M-T-G oil
I mix 1/2 M-T-G oil with 1/2 castor oil along with essential oils of peppermint, cinnamon, cayenne, rosemary, sage, lavender, and tea tree in it. I massage this into my scalp every night and leave it in over night and carefully wash it out in the morning

Monistat
I use Monistat directly on my scalp 2-3 times a week, let it sit for 5 hours and then wash it out.

Coconut oil
I use the M-T-G mix for my scalp and then for the rest of my hair I melt unrefined coconut oil, and add rosemary, lavender, and clary-sage oil to it to soak the rest of my hair it, leave it up over night and wash it out in the morning

Peanut Butter with honey
2 times a week I mix peanut butter with honey and apply it to all my loose hair, leave it in for 1 hour and then wash it out. The protein helps strengthen my hair and the honey keeps it moisturized so the peanut butter doesn't over-dry it.

Apple Cider Vinegar
Every other day make the final rinse of my hair with 1/2 apple cider vinegar 1/2 distilled water to get the residue out and make it shine.

vanillabones
April 13th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi :) I take a prenatal multi, 1,000mg of MSM, and 3 hair,skin&nails a day right now. I take them all at once which probably isn't most beneficial. I stopped biotin because I have suffered severe acne my whole life and I could tell it was making me break out.

I have questions for YOU since your results seem incredibly within just two weeks! Where did you buy your silica/royal jelly? I would like to add these to my pill salad. Also I think I will add one more 500mg MSM if it is safe. What multivitamin are you taking? And when do you take each of your vitamins? Thank you so much sorry for all the questions...

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 08:26 PM
No problem! I think the majority of my growth comes from the MSM, M-T-G and Monistat by the way.

I get my Royal Jelly and Silica from Luckyvitamin.com

I buy this Royal Jelly, it's 30 soft gels (but the best kind because liquid/fresh Royal Jelly is the best, not dried) and is a bit expensive for 15 days ($10.63) but I find it worth it: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-20299-ys-organic-bee-farms-royal-jelly-softgels-mega-strength

I buy this silica, this one is much cheaper 200 tablets (almost 7 months worth) for $8.21 it's plant derived and not synthetic which is really important: http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-26762-world-organic-silica-500-200-tablets. Or here is the 100 tablets for $5.05 http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-26734-world-organic-silica-500-100-tablets

I think 500 mg of extra MSM is safe, I've been thinking of doing that myself, I haven't yet cuz I'm running out and I'm broke and I don't want to have a day without it.

Lets see I take one royal jelly first thing in the morning on an empty stomach which is best. Then the other in between a meal, usually lunch and dinner. I take one MSM with a meal twice a day, I take 1 biotin with each of my three meals, the collagen and hyularonic acid on an empty stomach before bed, I take the choline/inositol earlier in the day so I can get the energy benefits. I take the silica with whatever random meal I decide, I take one fish oil with every meal, and my multivitamin with another random meal of my choice.

I take New Chapter's Women's One a Day it's all organic and vegan, most vitamins when you drop them in apple cider vinegar don't dissolve or just expand, this vitamin dissolves in about 20 minutes! This is good because you know your body is digesting them = using them.

CarpeDM
April 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
WOW that is some regimen!

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
WOW that is some regimen!

I have a very "all or nothing" attitude towards everything I do, sometimes I take it too far haha. I think I have just the right amount, I shouldn't add anything more. Although I do wanna get my hair from dark brown to red in a natural way soon haha.

vanillabones
April 13th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hmmm, okay thank you very much :) I should be taking everything I take with meals then. Maybe that will help. The Jelly seems expensive I'd only really be taking it for the boob benefit which I truly need hehe, so I'll research that. I want the silica my problem is trying to find it IRL! I'll online order if I must...

I'll try that multivitamin then as well if it's as good as you say. I'd been taking the prenatal since supposedly it's ultra healthy but I ran out and picked up more and it's a different kind and says to take 4 throughout the day which isn't going to happen for me I want a ONE a day for my multi, ugh. I feel gaggy having so many pills I've been swallowing daily for so long. I'll use the bottle eventually :/

I use monistat as well honestly looking at my childhood pics I have the thinnest hair in the world I think it is helping since my crown is a lot thicker than my ends.

As far as the oils how do you wrap your hair at night? And how do you wash it out in the morning? do you have to clarify or can you just use an organic shampoo. I have coconut and rosemary I could do for my ends but idk what MTG oil is? I wouldn't have the patience for it everynight that's impressive :) but I am interested in doing deep treatments overnight this way a couple times a week.

gogirlanime
April 13th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Hmmm, okay thank you very much :) I should be taking everything I take with meals then. Maybe that will help. The Jelly seems expensive I'd only really be taking it for the boob benefit which I truly need hehe, so I'll research that. I want the silica my problem is trying to find it IRL! I'll online order if I must...

I'll try that multivitamin then as well if it's as good as you say. I'd been taking the prenatal since supposedly it's ultra healthy but I ran out and picked up more and it's a different kind and says to take 4 throughout the day which isn't going to happen for me I want a ONE a day for my multi, ugh. I feel gaggy having so many pills I've been swallowing daily for so long. I'll use the bottle eventually :/

I use monistat as well honestly looking at my childhood pics I have the thinnest hair in the world I think it is helping since my crown is a lot thicker than my ends.

As far as the oils how do you wrap your hair at night? And how do you wash it out in the morning? do you have to clarify or can you just use an organic shampoo. I have coconut and rosemary I could do for my ends but idk what MTG oil is? I wouldn't have the patience for it everynight that's impressive :) but I am interested in doing deep treatments overnight this way a couple times a week.

New Chapter also makes a prenatal vitamin but it's like $42. I work at a GNC and what I've learned over 4 years is that prenatal vitamins are good, but there is nothing inside them that is any more special than a regular (for anyone) type of vitamin. What makes your hair grow during pregnancy is the extra estrogen in your body, not the prenatal vitamins, this is a myth that still continues to circulate and I have no idea why. Prenatal vitamins are slightly healthier in general, but they won't make your hair grow that much faster, maybe like 1/4 of an in in a year.

Silica is hard to find in stores, GNC doesn't carry it, Super Supplements, or Vitamin World might, 500mg of Silica is hard to find too, if you can, just order online.

That same Royal Jelly you can find in GNC but it's a bit more expensive

I dunno the technical name of my wrap, just a simple bun wrap where I spin my hair round and round till it's in a ball. In the morning I use Mill Creek's biotin shampoo it's all natural and has a lot of good ingredients in it. I make sure to use a lot of shampoo so I only have to wash all the oil out once. Sometimes I don't get it all when I rinse, if I do I use a liiiiitle bit more shampoo and try my best to spot wash the areas I missed. Then I condition with Mill Creek's Aloe Vera conditioner. I always wash and rinse with the coldest water I can tolerate and then every other day make the final rinse a mix of 1/2 apple cider vinegar 1/2 distilled water.

M-T-G oil stands for (Mane Tail Growth) it is a sulphur oil that is actually for horses haha :p. But many MANY women use it to grow their hair. The funny thing about it though is that it was originally made for human use, but the company ended up marketing it for horses. I make that mix of mine it's not good to use straight M-T-G oil, it's too strong and might damage your hair. It's called "Shapley's M-T-G oil" The one downside about it is it smells HORRIBLE, it's made from pine, so it smells like pine tar :mad: I dunno where to buy it not online, perhaps a camping/sporting place, or if you have a horse-care store nearby. I wait till someone sells it cheap on Ebay and stock up, otherwise you end up spending $30 for 32 oz. If I'm lucky I usually find it for $17 (that's including shipping) on Ebay.

gogirlanime
April 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Anyone else? Does anyone have any secret foods or supplements they take that aren't well-known. Or what is everyone else doing?