PDA

View Full Version : Asked to do WEDDING HAIRDO - help!

Katze
June 15th, 2008, 08:02 AM
hi all,

last night my BF's long-ago ex, 'E', who we are friends with, asked me to do her hair for her wedding! She and her partner are super cool, and are getting married in September (so I have some time).

While I'm really flattered, I have NO idea what to do with E's hair for a wedding!

Having braided it before, I know that it is fine, thin, straight, and very slippery. It's also medium brown and very shiny. In texture, at least, it's similar enough to my (virgin) hair that I can probably do something - except her hair is *very* thin and has no wave, and is layered at somewhere between shoulder and APL.

She's coming over on Tuesday to try stuff out, and really seems to trust and believe in me, which is a great compliment but I really don't know what to offer her. She tends to wear her hair in a twist of some kind with a claw clip all the time, and never down - kind of a 'wash and go' gal. So she's probably expecting something both natural (no hairspray or teasing, thank goddess) and different (!) from what she does every day.

I was thinking of trying to weave flowers into it and put it up in the back with some accent braids coming back from the front. I'd rather not use heat or anything, but she really doesn't have that much hair. Everything I found in a google search is just too 'princessy', fussy and fake-looking, blowdried-and-sprayed. If she went to a salon, that's probably what she'd get, so I am guessing that's why she's coming to me. Of course, it all does depend on her dress or outfit, and they are still discussing the 'theme' for their wedding.

How can I help E., what should I keep in mind, what should I avoid, to help her look good for her big day? Any fine or thin haired people who got married in something other than 'everyday' hair but that wasn't the typical wedding hairdo, I'd love to hear from you...

thanks!

Katze

PS thanks everyone who posted regarding my new sig. My bad hair day and updo pics were making me feel so unhappy, that I decided to make a progress picture to 'prove' to myself that my hair has changed in 4 years. All of you have been such great support and are largely responsible - thanks!

Chromis
June 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Do you know what kind of dress she's wearing? I let my hair be dictated by my dress style, which was a Colonial era gown and just begged for nice long rag curls since I wasn't feeling Marie Antoinette style wigs *grin*. If she's going with the strapless dresses that seem to be all the rage, hair up looks more elegant to me, makes a nice clean line following the sweep of the neck.

You could also look at where it will be held. Indoors? Outdoors? Any wind to deal with?

Miss Murphy
June 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I could imagine a french twist, various half-ups or maybe even a puffy bun with slippery hair - although it all depends on the layers, of course.

One thing I'd definitely keep in mind would be that September is 3 months away, and her hair will probably grow until then.

Usually I recommend the flower bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4392) for weddings, and it would be especially good for someone with layers - though I can't tell how good it will hold with slippery hair.

Oskimosa
June 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm thinking if her hair is super thin and straight you'd want to stay away from half-ups... those really look best on thick hair. Otherwise it will just accentuate how thin her hair is. But I'm with Chromis, you just have to find out what she's wearing, what time of day it is, the whole theme of her wedding before choosing a hairstyle. Me, I had to wait until about 2 weeks before the wedding to make my mind up. With my super thick hair I went with a half-up that looked great, but ended up covering it up with my handmade veil. Pft, I worked too hard and too long on that thing not to show it off!!

That's another thing. Will she wear a veil or a crown/tiara? Even if it's made of flowers or something, that will change what she does with it. That's why I say you have to know alot of other details first before settling on a particular style just so everything coordinates well.

k_hepburn
June 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If it would go with the style of wedding dress she is getting, you could try doing a sock bun for her - maybe using a proper donut-shaped hair rat to match her hair colour, rather than an old sock, for this occasion. It is a really elegant style and she should just about have the length to make it work.

Greetings

katharine

Alethia
June 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Or a Dutch braided crown bun (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braid_examples/braid_examples_crowns.htm)with ribbons woven through it and flowers - you could attach the veil to the back of it. The ribbons would give the crown braid body, and the flowers could complement her bouquet if she has one. This style is easier to do than it looks, and it stays put!

spidermom
June 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
My first thought is set it; give her curls.

Shorty89
June 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I like the idea of a crown braid. If her hair is slippery, I'd try it with damp hair, or at least using a mister. I think it'd be pretty with flowers or a veil attached to it.

kwaniesiam
June 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'll 3rd the crown braid if you can do one, or if she wants to wear it down as Spidermom said set it to curl, and then maybe a pretty white flowered headband of some sort?

Katze
June 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

I have no idea what she's wearing; her BF wants to do some really crazy stuff (reenactment wedding) but I don't think she will let him.

yeah, a crown braid would probably work well on her. Or curls. I can imagine her with 1810s style ringlets. First I am going to find out what she expects.

I'm really not good enough at updos to do a sock bun or flower bun, though both would work. I can't even bun my own hair! I don't want E. to be disappointed, though; she seems to think I'm the hair guru! :silly: