PDA

View Full Version : Yet another layer urge

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Yes, you guessed it.... I want some layers. light ones, not a lot of chopping involved. it's just that since my shortest layer is BSL, my fine hair just hangs in there lifeless... Aside from shampoo, mousse and velcro curlers there's nothing I can do to make it have SOME body. I love the way straight hemlines look like, and my current plan is growing out my last layers but for the past month or so my hair has been very 'blah', and I'm seeing splits. I recently had a trim, and the splits are higher up on the shaft.
Now for the technical details: my hair is fine, has very little wave to it (close to 1a but not exactly), my pony circumference is 8.5 cm, and most of my hair is located on the front side of my scalp. Also, my face shape is a long-ish oval, and I look better with hair that has body. Should I go through with it?

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Well, I've joined the pro-layer side, so DO IT! You can always grow them out and they're not heavy layers.

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 08:08 AM
If you know you like layers, why not? I had long layers put in at my last haircut because there were so many splits in the canopy, plus I wanted a change. Surprisingly, most of the time I can't even tell that I have them. Only when the ends are doing a weird flippy thing do I see that it's layered.

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I previously had a bad-ish experience. Because most of my hair is at the top of my scalp, instead of on the lower layers, it takes a bit of technique and special request to have thin layers... so I have been trying to grow out some layers which left my hair thin. But this time, I swear I'm drawing a diagram of what I want... this lack of volume is what made me cut layers in the first place.

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I previously had a bad-ish experience. Because most of my hair is at the top of my scalp, instead of on the lower layers, it takes a bit of technique and special request to have thin layers... so I have been trying to grow out some layers which left my hair thin. But this time, I swear I'm drawing a diagram of what I want... this lack of volume is what made me cut layers in the first place.

Lol, well if you can find a picture, that might be useful.

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I was so horrified I didn't take one. but the layers were thick, and when it grew out it looked like this:
http://i54.tinypic.com/x10psm.jpg

Fufu
April 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
My hair is fine, and layered :)

celebriangel
April 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Oh my, what a lovely photograph of your hair and person. I can see what you mean about suiting layers. You might want to think about

1) How long you want your hair. To get really long hair, you sort of need a bluntish hemline or thick hair, otherwise you won't have enough hair, or at the very least it'll take longer than average because of the constant need to keep the layers in good nick.

2) I find that layers on me means that my naturally strong hair takes damage more easily, I get splits all over, and my hair tangles, so I need to 'maintain' my cut - ie not let it get any longer. With 1a/1b hair, you might not find this so much trouble, though.

However, if you realy want the volume/look that layers give you, and don't want your hair horrendously long, I'd say go for it! They seem to really suit you, in any case. Please please make sure the stylist understands what you want, I've had some experiences where I *thought* I was perfectly clear about wanting this or that, then got something entirely different. Good luck!:cheese:

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I think your hair looks great! Very pretty :D

I agree with celebriangel. Those are good things to consider.

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
As I mentioned, this time I'm taking out the drawing board and clearly painting and showing what I want. Eventually, I want hip-length hair, so I don't think it's that unachievable with some light layering. I didn't have issues with damage, but I'm just a bit apprehensive... I wanted to wait until I got to waist/hip unlayered, then layer it again-but the last weeks have been hell-ish to me. one day after washing and my hair is limp(it used to be great for 3-4 days, even 5)
Thank you for your replies! Friday, I'll pay the hairdresser a visit and see if she has any room for me next week. Again, thank you all and keep your fingers crossed for me, please! ^.^

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)