PDA

View Full Version : Debating some layers/face framing bits - advice?

Evie
April 13th, 2011, 03:22 AM
Hello!

I've grown my hair from a longish pixie to pretty much APL, but I have an issue.....

My hair is really thick, and wavy (not complaining about this, I am glad it is this thick) but it just kind of hangs in what feels to me like a big clump, and I'm not enjoying wearing it down - I don't even think it looks good down when I just take it down in the evening.

I am debating getting my hairdresser (who I trust, she won't cut a huge amount off) to put in some layers to kind of give it some shape, and maybe get a few face framing layers/fringe added. I think if I just let it grow out and keep going, I will just carry on having this issue. My overall aim is probably no longer than waist, although I might even stop between BSL/Mid back and waist, and I do want to be able to wear it down occasionally and like how it looks.

Any advice would be welcome, I would just like to be happy with my hair! Has anyone else been through this?

(I will try to add some pics later....)

MonaLisa
April 13th, 2011, 03:32 AM
For the purpose of wearing it down, I'd say go for it!
You don't like to see it as it is now, and you want to enjoy it, you have very thick hair.. all sounds as a good base for some sexy layers.
You won't lose length, only add some shape :)

Ishje
April 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM
most important thing is that you are happy with your hair.
I'd say go for it, if you don't like it you can alway's grow it out again :)

Evie
April 13th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Thank you! :)

I think I will book the appointment.....it will not be too much, just might give it more of a shape to grow into, too.....

UltraBella
April 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I love my layers !!! If I didn't have them my hair would just hang there all lifeless. I think you should go for it :)

PiroskaCicu
April 13th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Definitely go for those face framing layers! I have them and love them. They can soften your look and make your hair have a bit more interest! Plus they look great for updos as you can leave the layers down to soften your face. Have you also considered a fringe? :)

Hope it goes well!!

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not opposed to layers and used to have the face-framing bits and loved them, so I'm not opposed to your plan at all. However, I did want to point out that your hair is at an awkward length right now that another six months to a year of growing will change. I found it counter-productive to go for haircuts to try to solve the problems caused by an awkward length. If you want longer, the best thing to do is grow past those awkward lengths, not cut.

Evie
April 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Hmmm thank you Spidermom, I'm glad that this is an awkward phase that will pass. I had been liking my hair so it was a real surprise when suddenly it looked very weird when it was left loose. Perhaps I'll invoke a 2 month rule, rather than just 2 weeks. If I still don't like it, I will consider a fringe or some layers in the front section, but I will be patient just in case it will pass and suddenly look good again :-)

squintinschool
April 14th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I've had layers for the longest time, and I love them for giving my hair shape, and lessening poof. I've always had long layers (shortest ever was chin, usually at least of a length that can be put up in a ponytail) but that is mainly because I can't stand things in my face (grew out a fringe in elementary school and never thought about getting one again).

One thing you might want to try that doesn't involve cutting but will control the shape and give some visual interest is doing a half up, or even less (grab equal sized pieces of hair from behind your left and right ears, and clip up, and tada! corralled hair!).

delsh
April 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I am another one that loves my layers, and wouldn't want to grow without them! :) I'm also about APL and wavy, and they help my wave pattern look good. I'm sure it will be the same for you. Maybe give it a week or two to be sure, but at our length it wouldn't take much time to grow out long layers if you end up not liking them.

Good luck! :D