PDA

View Full Version : Do Hairdressers SELL Hair?

Dragon
April 13th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I was just wondering, sometimes people get large amounts of hair cut off, do some hairdressers keep it to sell? Also do they keep the hair for anything else like if the hair is virgin, to use as hair dye samples or to use as extensions if it’s in really good condition? The reason I’m asking is because I’ve heard they do but don’t know if it’s true or not.

Lamb
April 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM
It doesn't make sense, if you think about it. Those "large amounts" you talk about are only 3-4 inches, rarely more. Not nearly enough for anything, let alone extensions! Besides, hair strands fall on the cape on the client's shoulders, on the floor, etc. Gathering them up and cleaning them would be simply too much of a chore.
Also, you can't use split or broken hair for extensions, and most hair cut off in salons is damaged to a degree.

In short - I don't think so. :hmm:

Aleria
April 13th, 2011, 01:33 AM
No, but when my dad heard I got my hair chopped, he was pretty mad at me for letting them toss it - dark, thick, coarse hair goes for a premium to our mask-making cousins (I'm Native), and I chopped a lot off. BSL-Chin, filling 2 and a half dustpan fulls. :(

sycamoreboutiqu
April 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
If the hair were going to be reused for something they would have to go to some effort to keep it together, and clean. Usually long hair being cut for donation is ponytailed tightly then cut off above the band and carefully bagged.

Quality wigs can only use virgin hair - as I would suppose most extensions would so it is unlikely there is much virgin hair being randomly cut without planning ahead to save it.

I am sure the customer would be asking questions if they saw this procedure going on without their prior consent.

So no, I don't think it ever happens.

Merlin
April 13th, 2011, 03:18 AM
I know that some people go to salons and pick up the occasional bag of hair to bulk up compost heaps - from the point of view of the salon because they pay for trade waste it saves them money.

frizzinator
April 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Twenty years ago, my long time hairdresser once cut about 10 inches off my hair and immediately picked it up off the floor, saying that it could be sold. It wasn't difficult for her to pick up because it was wet and it stuck together fairly well.

UltraBella
April 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have several hairdressers in my salon who do extensions, but the hair they order comes on a weft and the sheer task of trying to sew your own weft of hair from someone's cut ponytail, etc would be more work than any are willing to put into it. A haircut of 8 inches or more rarely happens, so I don't think anyone would bother.

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
They could sell it for cleaning up oil spills(in my imagination), but I see no reason for them to chop more hair so they could sell it- better chop off as much as requested and have the customer come in more often, right?

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 07:59 AM
I usually see them sweep it up and put it in the trash bin.

pepperminttea
April 13th, 2011, 08:04 AM
They could sell it for cleaning up oil spills

It's been long enough since I've been in an actual salon that I can't remember, but this is what I'd like it to used for, given that the quality of most hair in the western world isn't the best for extensions/wigs. Most of the time though, I think it's just binned. At least it's biodegradable?

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
It should be biodegradable, and using it for oil spills is nice and noble, but not if it means people get more hair chopped off than they want or need.The ponytails not accepted for Locks of Love are used for that, as far as I know

Delila
April 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My old stylist once told me that you can put hair trimmings in the garden to keep pests (like deer) away. Not sure if it's true, but she seemed to believe it.

selderon
April 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM
The salon I worked at donated hair trimmings to an organization to be made into mats to soak up oil spills. Because salons are not paid for the hair trimmings, there is no motivation to cut more than the client wants or needs.

Really long lengths were sent to Locks of Love if the client requested it at the salon or during a Locks of Love event off-site.

elbow chic
April 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I doubt it. How often do they cut off six-plus inches of undamaged virgin hair?

If I ever cut mine, I will sell it myself, though. lol "baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

Dragon
April 14th, 2011, 01:58 AM
Thanks for all your replies :)

Madora
April 14th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't think so because the cut hair would not be considered safe unless, of course, it was put through some sort of cleansing process to make it germ free.

Many years ago I thought about selling my hair and went to a store that purchased hair to make wigs. I was thunderstruck when the proprietor told me that they would have to cut my waist length hair to just above my ears in order to make a serviceable wig or postiche, etc. I wasn't going to go to those lengths to make a few bucks!