PDA

View Full Version : Hairs on the side of your head?

oceanborn33
April 12th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Ok so I've got a predicament. Take a look at this picture:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/456/sidehead.jpg

If you look starting just before her ear where her face ends, and also over just a bit above her ear to the right, that area of hair is bothering me on my head. My hair is a little too short right there so when I put it into a pony tail, it's not long enough to be grabbed by the scrunchie. And in turn I've got little locks of hair sticking directly out to the side of my head and it looks like I've got devil's horns :eek:

I was thinking of cutting all of that off but the problem is that if I cut it, I'll have to ongoingly cut it to keep it from sticking out. I've tried styling gel but it seems a bit icky and unnatural. Does anyone have any tips for this, or am I doomed to just let it grow for 6 more months?

selderon
April 13th, 2011, 12:17 AM
You haven't given us much information about your hair. The length, texture and condition will affect the success of any solution. Please note that I have 1b hair (almost totally straight), it's medium-coarse and I have a lot of it. If you're a 3a with fine, thin hair, this solution may not work well for you.

I also have trouble with hair horns. I find that styling the hair more loosely around those areas helps to soften the whole look. For example, a couple of weeks ago I did a sock bun. To soften the style, I let the hair around my face be a little lifted when I secured the ponytail. This created some "give". I created an accent braid on each side of my head just above the hair horns (Mine are most noticeable at the corners of my top hairline.) and secured them in the ponytail, again leaving a bit of give. The result was soft and minimized the hair horns nicely.

In my book, the skinned-back restrained-with-steel-hair-spray look can be very pretty, but when it comes to hiding my hair horns it is the hair styling equivalent of a full frontal assault on a fortified position. ;) I find the softer approach gets a similar result (a well groomed, professional look) with less work, frustration and expense.

motormuffin
April 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM
My daughter's hair does that stick out thing. I usually use those flat barrettes or some bobby pins right behind her ear.

jesis
April 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have coarse hair underneath that refuses to go into a ponytail. I just make my ponytails lower and give that portion extra TLC. It has helped. It gets longer all of the time!

oceanborn33
April 13th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Honestly I don't know what type of hair I have. I can safely say that it's pretty long though (almost near my butt). I'm a male and I don't know as much about hair as mostly everyone here does but I'm here to learn :) I'll look around the forum and see which kind of hair I have.

Allar
April 13th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I have the same problem, but my hair is too short for a ponytail so I have to wear it down and maybe my solution won't work for you, but who knows.

I find that my hair horns get worse when hair is dry, so oiling helps this issue, but I also style my hair starting from the side, taking only that portion over the hear and combing it straight down, trying to remove that curve it makes when going around the hear and fixing it with a bit of aloe vera gel.

When my side hair is straighter, the upper portion of hair lays down more flat and horns are less pronounced, even if I have to deal with my natural wavy texture. Oiling not only helps with dryness but also add weight and to some extent prevents hair from sticking out, but I must say that I have really a lot of hair, so maybe this is the reason why flattening lower patches helps the upper ones.

I hope you will find a good solution, to be honest I'm still looking forward to the time when I will be able to make a ponytail :)
Just a little advice, don't cut your side hair at any cost, I was convinced to do so when I first tried to grow my hair but trust me, it just makes things worse and waiting time longer.

skyblue
April 13th, 2011, 04:27 AM
I have that too, I use a little aloe to smooth them down, it works quite well for me

Firefox7275
April 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Honestly I don't know what type of hair I have. I can safely say that it's pretty long though (almost near my butt). I'm a male and I don't know as much about hair as mostly everyone here does but I'm here to learn :) I'll look around the forum and see which kind of hair I have.

Welcome! :) It's worth poking around the 'New Start Here' section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573) which includes hair typing, also the Articles section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php) which includes the styling tutorials.

AchtungCurly
April 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have the same problem, but my hair is too short for a ponytail so I have to wear it down and maybe my solution won't work for you, but who knows.

I find that my hair horns get worse when hair is dry, so oiling helps this issue, but I also style my hair starting from the side, taking only that portion over the hear and combing it straight down, trying to remove that curve it makes when going around the hear and fixing it with a bit of aloe vera gel.

I second this. I'm very thin, layered BSL and aloe vera gel and coconut oil are the only things that work for my "horns."

I just mist the sides with a little water and smooth on the aloe gel and it ends up fine, and not producty like hair gel would.

Anje
April 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I've got some short stuff there too. It just gets tucked behind my ears.

Being male and all, you could always crop it short and just incorporate it into your sideburns.

Finoriel
April 13th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Many people have that hair in front of their ears and it is pretty normal that it does not grow long. I forgot the exact terms but in the area where skin-fuzz changes to head hair there's some sort of fine in-between hair which won't stay as short as the skin hair but won't grow as long as the head hair either. That's most obvious in front of ones ears and at the nape.
For me those hairs are just long enough to go behind my ear and stick out at the side of it or under it. Forming sort of an awkward lock getting stuck in my earrings. Now I do my best to just ignore it and not let it bother me, because nobody else besides myself seems to notice, but when I had short hair I used to trim them back. Trimmed the right way they would end right behind my ears which made them invisible from the front and I was hoping that people would not look behind my ears and still see them :p haha. But it was a hassle to trim them, because if I trimmed too much by accident they would not go behind my ear but form some sort of fake sideburns, which can look pretty cool with certain hair-cuts and face-shapes, but unfortunately that wasn't the case for me.
To help them stay behind my ear I smooth them back when drying after a wash, which is usually enough to tame them. But you could also try to use a bit of product (gel, foam, hairspray) to help keeping them in place. And as a male you also have the additional option to grow actual sideburns and trim those hairs so they blend in.

ETA: Anje beat me to the sideburn suggestion :o

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I've got short hairs above each temple that stick out if I don't smooth them down with a little dab of styling gel or aloe vera gel. I've done it for so long that it feels totally natural to me.