PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your having a " I wish my hair was longer "day?

LotusFIre
April 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I've been having a lot of them lately. :( The only thing I can think of to make me feel a little better is put my hair up in one of the styles I have recently figured out, the french twist, messy bun, and dutch braid(though not a perfect dutch braid compared to a lot of ya'll).
But I would like to hear what YOU do if you are having one of those discouraging days?
Thanks for your response! :) :cheese:

okiesarah
April 12th, 2011, 11:15 PM
In the same boat with you on this one. I just keep looking at all the pretty long hair and hairstyles. Maybe if that's all I see, it will subconsciously cause my hair to grow faster :) The other thing I've done is buy tiny hairtoys that will work for me, like a tiny flexi-8. That way I can have some bling while I wait.

racrane
April 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I acknowledge I miss my long hair, but I try to concentrate on the hair I have and to pamper it. That way (in my mind) it will grow faster! :)

TakeAPotatoChip
April 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Look at pictures of me when my hair was at it's shortest (SL). Remember how long I've been growing out my hair healthily and all the care I've taken of it, remind myself of all the things I'm going to be doing to make sure my hair is as gorgeous as possible while I'm on my way to my goals :)

Signe
April 12th, 2011, 11:40 PM
listen to Skee Lo "I Wish"

LOL
:poot:

ElvenArchess
April 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I play with makeup or a video game, maybe watch Hulu or read a book for a while. Just anything to keep me distracted and upbeat. I can't stand being mopey. :rolleyes:

Aleria
April 13th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Rag curls! Yes they make it shorter, but it's different and fun looking.

nazzooyzo
April 13th, 2011, 04:46 AM
apply daktarin and look at photos from last year when it was really really short so i can see my hair has grown a lot

Valdeon
April 13th, 2011, 04:56 AM
look at photos from last year when it was really really short so i can see my hair has grown a lot
This! It really helps and gives you some satisfaction 'cause you see how much progress you've made even now! :cheese:

zina
April 13th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I just put my hair in a bun and forget about it. I've done a lot of that lately. :rolleyes:

RachieBaby
April 13th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I just put my hair in a bun and forget about it. I've done a lot of that lately. :rolleyes:

This is what i do too, I also seem to be doing this alot at the moment. I think i'll feel better when I hit BSL :)

Izae
April 13th, 2011, 05:04 AM
At the moment, I don't really have those days. Instead I have moments where I wish my hair was actually healthy and not a mess of splits.
What do I do?
At the moment, it's enough for me to come on here, and research some more methods o taking care of my hair. I've still got so much to learn!
I have a list of all the stuff I want to find out written down, so if I don't know what I want to do, I can look at that and start looking into something on it.

|Xei
April 13th, 2011, 05:47 AM
When I did get these days, I would focus on other aspects of my hair that make me happy. For example, how smooth and soft it is from all the care I've treated it with.

Neneka
April 13th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I have those a lot. Then I try to think that it's going to be very cool at the summer. My hair also dries quickly and there is no damage. It will be very healthy as it grows.

krissykins
April 13th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I look at my hair in the mirror and tip my head backwards. That puts me back at waist length! LOL

Mesmerise
April 13th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I have had sooo many days where I wish my hair was thicker! Yes, I want it longer, but even when it GETS longer it will still be years before it thickens up at the ends... *sigh*. I just try to wear it up and not think about it or touch it too much!!! It can be hard though.

julliams
April 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I start doing the math in my head "ok so in ... months it will be ..... longer" etc etc and work out when I think I will get to my goal. Since my hair got to my goal of waist I have seriously stopped thinking about it as much as I used to. Anything is long from now. I do still check it out in the mirror from time to time but the length is finally all good.

Have a goal and remember that each new day is a step closer to what you want.

AspenSong
April 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Usually my "I wish it was longer" days coincide with my "I wish it was thicker and my braid didn't look like a wimpy ACCENT braid for most people".... =P

Sooo, when I have those days I just remind myself that I have hair at least and throw it in a bun and go on with life. :) I try really hard not to let myself kinda wallow in thinking about it. Not that it usually works for long...lol...but I try! ;)

Hile
April 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I let my hair down:D I tend to forget it's actually already longish (for me, that is!).

selderon
April 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM
When I catch myself agonizing over how long it is going to take for my hair to reach the next goal length (or, really, BSL), I stop myself. I remind myself of how much progress I have made. Then I put it up and mentally construct a wardrobe, design jewelry or exercise. Or watch "How Do I Look".

elbow chic
April 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Remember that for me, it IS really long. The longest it's ever been! Everything past here is uncharted waters! (oh, and soaking it in coconut oil helps, too. That makes me feel like I'm doing something productive.)

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I had a couple of long wigs back when my hair was between shoulder and bottom of shoulder blade length. Then my hair reached and passed the length of the wigs. After that I'd braid a long scarf into my hair so that I could feel the ends of it brushing a new area of my anatomy. Now my hair is longer than the scarves reach when I braid them in.

I had it cut from classic length recently because of all the dried-out and split ends. When I miss it too much, I think about what an ordeal it was to comb out the tangles, and that helps me to be happy with the hair that I have now. But hair - grow already! o.k?

LotusFIre
April 13th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I like a lot of ya'lls ideas! :D good to know i'm not alone here..seems like everyones hair is longer than mine tho..

Lianna
April 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Today was the first day I actually thought about instant long hair. Some girl in my class commented that she haven't ever seen my hair down (and others agreed), so I wished I had long hair to let down beautifully. >.<

Paladin
April 13th, 2011, 09:48 AM
What do *I* do?

Well I just go to the mirror, play around with it and spike it up, try to brush the hairline down to see what bangs would look like, and admire my little duck-tail and messy back-of-neck hairs that are getting out of control...

Then I think about what hairstyles I'm going to try as it grows out, and as I enter the much-loved awkward stage...

Then I go rock out to some Metallica, Journey, Skid Row, and any other rock/metal I can think of, and think about how awesome I'll look when I finally get my nice long mane. :cool:

AMW
April 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
on a day like that I usually wash my hair and do a ACV rinse with herbs! This makes my hair so shinny and it makes me feel good about my hair just as it is again!

nazzooyzo
April 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I like a lot of ya'lls ideas! :D good to know i'm not alone here..seems like everyones hair is longer than mine tho..

nope mine is shorter than yours! :(

LittleOrca
April 13th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Put it up and forget it or look at old photos so I can see how far I have come and remind myself that it IS growing and and soon it will be at the floor. :)

tinti
April 13th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Well I used to play with it which was not hepful, it just created more dreangles (dreadlike tangles :p), but now that my hair is easier to manage I've started benign neglect, or at least ignoring it as much as possible. So I guess I just have to think positive, and maybe find a new do to try the next day.

TheBluffs
April 28th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I do some fancy things with my hair! Try and new bun, or braid.

dulce
April 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM
i would put it up,buy lots of hair toys and experiment with different styles..anything to avoid getting discouraged and cutting..

soaponthemoon
April 28th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I practice nail art.

Nae
April 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I put it up in a boring old bun and spend 15 minutes each morning deciding upon the pretty hair toy for the day. As long as I am focused on hair toys I don't even really think about the hair. Darn all of you enablers!!

Curlyg27
April 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Just try to focus on something else. Work, friends, watch a long funny movie. Like anything else, something else, to move my mind away from obsessing over short comings or desires that take too long, because I do admit I am impatient.

ibleedlipstick
April 28th, 2011, 08:21 PM
I oil it and put it up! My worrying about it isn't going to make it grow faster, so I do what I can to protect what I have, and then distract myself with other things.

Delila
April 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Back when my hair was a lot shorter, I did haircare experiments (lots of different conditioners, routines, etc.) and kept track of the results in my journal.

Also, I surfed the internet and spent a LOT of time here at LHC. :)

Finding some other, not-hair-related hobbies is good too. For me, for a long time, it was cookery, because a) I needed to improve my skills and b) I'm chief cook and bottle washer at our house, so I'm doing that stuff anyhow. Might as well enjoy it and learn more.

akuamoonmaui
April 28th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I remember really bad hair cuts :justy: :scissors: and appreciate how long it currently is.

rapunzhell13
April 28th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I remember how I felt the last time I cut it short - miserable! I calculate how long it will take to get to body landmarks, how far it's come since the cut, oil it, wash it, attempt updos even though I can't do much right now, browse hair toys, watch a TV show, cook or bake something that takes a lot of effort, study (as a last resort :D) and just basically distract myself. The only way to grow hair is to not cut it. All you can really do is be patient. I find the best way to stop myself from cutting my hair is to do things the nurture it, so that I'm reminded how much I like it. That's where the oilings and so forth come in. It feels nice to just comb it too. :)

Syaoransbear
April 29th, 2011, 12:02 AM
I put in clip-in hair extensions, then presto! Instant tailbone length! Or I just put it in a claw clip and forget about it. Or I oil it and enjoy how soft it is instead of worrying about how short it is.

racrane
April 29th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I don't know if this will help you guys at all, but I'm growing my hair out. Between SL and BSL, anyway, I'm in a show where I have to wear a flapper-esque hairstyle and I'm wearing a auburn wig. Though cute, I realized I look so much better with long hair. It gave me hope in a weird way - I'm doing the right thing. I also take lots of flattering pictures of my hair (so vain, I know) on a bad day to show it's still healthy and pretty.

Athena's Owl
April 29th, 2011, 12:12 AM
when I had those days, I put it up and forgot about it, most of the time. but sometimes I would do a more time consuming curl-set.

Audrey Horne
April 29th, 2011, 12:26 AM
I get frustrated and put it up, so I don't see it anymore... My hair isn't even BSL :-(

Java
April 29th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Oil it, carefully take vitamins or supplements, put nice essential oils on it, style it so I can feel good about it. Add earrings, do extra special makeup, watch a movie for inspiration for different styles. I heard someone say here once 'there is something to enjoy about every length'. So I feel it is important to make the very best of it, because we only get to be here once. :)

Lippytoes
April 29th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I heard someone say here once 'there is something to enjoy about every length'.

I agree! Even though there are days when impatience takes over, it's good to remember that every length has awesomeness to it. :)

Theobroma
April 29th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Put it up -- preferably with one of my nicest hairtoys -- and forget about it for the day. It won't grow faster for being obsessed over.

bunzfan
April 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Since last year i wear it up when i feel this way. I have got used to wearing it up so much so that i have trouble wearing it down, but it has grown from shoulder to just about mid back so i believe wearing it up causes less split ends:D

QMacrocarpa
April 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I trimmed an inch earlier this month to cope with splits and breakage, and losing that teensy amount did get me down a bit, so I focused on finding some cute new updo's I can do with what I've got (a couple of these (http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/updos.htm)), and that helped. I think doing a bun that makes my hair look big would help too, so a beefy sock bun, or a double-braided bun. :)

Kwongdzu
April 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Any kind of "updo" possible! A major feat with my length ;)

I also take a look at the inspirational long hair pics I've started saving in a journal. Taking a look at my progress pics helps too...

Biedronka
April 29th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Sigh,almost every day is a ''wish my hair was longer day''.Usually i oil it,comb it,admire it,put it up and then forget about it,if i can.I find that having other problems to fuss over like school,kinda makes me forget about my hair.

gogirlanime
April 29th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I wear it in a way that makes it look longer, like a pony tail and then I feel better haha

silkheart
April 29th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I wish it was longer every day, but lately I've been putting my hair up and trying to ignore it. Hopefully it'll grow while I'm not watching. ;) I seriously hope it does soon.

vaughner
April 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I used to wear the euronext brand clip-in hair extensions. I used to wear them until I got to the length I wanted and then I'd put them away lol.

nena_shawty
April 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I start looking for really beautiful long hair pictures and take time to baby my hair.

Topaz
April 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I just look at my length in the mirror, or pull out recent photos and compare to where I started, and that makes me feel really pleased with my progress and very happy with my hair. Just concentrate on what you've accomplished rather than on how far you still have to go. Always keep that glass half full!!!

Avital88
April 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I compare pictures of this month with last month or last year and then im happy but i wonder if the urge to grow it longer will ever go away.I used to think that when i would be at waist my hair would feel and look so long,but right now i'm 1.5 inch away from tailbone and it feels the same as when i was at midback :p weird..

|Xei
April 29th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I used to think that when i would be at waist my hair would feel and look so long,but right now i'm 1.5 inch away from tailbone and it feels the same as when i was at midback :p weird..

I feel the same actually! I never even realized I hit hip-length until I registered in this forum, and I had to fill out my current length. Then it was like "WHOA! Where did all this hair come from?!" Before that, I thought my hair wasn't growing any longer because it didn't really feel different.

oktobergoud
April 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Well nothing, actually :P My hair is very very short anyway so I can't do anything with it.

So, like Barney Stinsson (How I Met Your Mother :P) used to say: "When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead!" :D So that's what I do haha ;)

sugarpixie10988
April 29th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I remember that every second my hair is getting the tiniest bit longer. I also look back at the progress I've made over the past year for encouragement, and think about the length it will be in another year.

Lollipop
April 29th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I take it down and brush it and play with it and take pictures of it and videos of how it moves and "sproing" the curls and I twirl it around my finger...I'm nice to my hair, so it tends to be nice to me when I pet it.

(good hair, good hair! Is it time for an SMT? I think it is! And in two days you get some more MN!!!)

jujube
April 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Well nothing, actually :P My hair is very very short anyway so I can't do anything with it.

So, like Barney Stinsson (How I Met Your Mother :P) used to say: "When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead!" :D So that's what I do haha ;)

This exactly. My fellow super shorties and I have a whole thread mainly designed to help us cope with days like these. Sure, we'd all like to wake up with WL hair, and it's not happening, but we're awesome instead. :D

jojo
April 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I just put mine up, im quite happy with the length at the moment but i wouldnt say no to a bit more; photos help too!

dragonchickx
April 29th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, yeah for sure. THought I can say take advantage of the fact that your hair is short, it is easier to keep it healthy, so indulge in making sure you take the best care of it in order for it to look gorgeous when it is longer, something I wish I did I would have saved me a lot of breakage and split ends!

Aniah
April 30th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I just put mine up, im quite happy with the length at the moment but i wouldnt say no to a bit more; photos help too!

I would put my hair up too! But, I'd rather have a longer length & photos of my hair make me :(

miss_purple
April 30th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I just keep looking at all the pretty long hair on forum and also apreciate my progress too. I'm happy with my hair at this moment, but I do have 'short hair days' sometimes. :)
Beer rinse seems to make my days "good hair days". I've only used beer 2 times so I am not very sure of this, but I want to belive it's happening. :D Anyway, it's a non-alcohol beer (Ursus) if anyone wants to know.

Quahatundightu
April 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I try to focus more on health, put on some coconut oil or do a nice treatment so it feels lovely and soft. If you are relatively happy about the condition of your hair it won't be as bad to wait for it to grow!

Deelight
April 30th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Clip in my clip-on extensions. Long hair accomplished! :laugh:

Of course "long" for me right now is just past bra strap.

McFearless
April 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Aka what do I do everyday? Tie it up!

dollface
May 2nd, 2011, 10:10 PM
normally do a deep treatment of some kind, henna, use semi-permanent dye, or try to learn a new styling technique.

Islandgrrl
May 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
I just put it up and forget about it. I'm at a horribly awkward length for me right now and it's annoying me to no end. If I can just ignore it, well, it will all be okay!

pennyroyal
May 3rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
I put it up & just try to not think about it too much. The less i see of it the less the length (or lack thereof) bothers me.

Qamar
May 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
What helps me on those hair anorexia days is looking through photos from at least a year ago. Old photos really show the change in length and make me feel much better about the progress I've made in a relatively short period of time.

crystal_89
May 3rd, 2011, 05:40 AM
I look at pictures from when my hair was longer for inspiration. Or look at pictures of celebrities with hair I like. Or I read every article and post of interest on here.

Maddy25
May 3rd, 2011, 06:57 AM
Do a deep oil treatment, SMT or buy a hairtoy hehehe, something to make me think positivly about my hair the way it is.

eshta
May 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
It depends on the mood I'm in, I like to do a DT or henna gloss or oil it, or put it up and forget about it. I really like to learn new up do's or braids but that often leads to more frustration. If I need some serious motivation I buy a new hair toy.

NouvelleNymphe2
May 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Great thread OP! Thanks for all of the ideas ladies. I've been a little down about my length/thickness lately as well. Now I have a thread of ideas to keep my motivation up!:thumbsup: