PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy ends

Kitten
April 12th, 2011, 09:52 PM
My hair for the most part is nice and soft the ends are crunchy and dry ,I don't want to cut it off just yet, it's not as long as I would like it to be.But until then is anything out there good for dry crunchy hair?

Miss Catrina
April 12th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Definitely look into oiling treatments. Regular old olive oil you probably already have in your kitchen can make it feel better. Also, you should probably check for split ends and trim them off. Where there's crunchy hair, there's sure to be split ends. :)

Karmi
April 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I do not totally agree that crunchy = splits. Coarse strands can sometimes feel crunchy and dry, but does not always mean there are splits.

But as stated above, treat your hair to some oil and a deep condition and you're sure to have happier hair. :)

Jenn of Pence
April 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
My crunchy, dry ends tend to come from buildup, particularly proteins. I would suggest clarifying, checking your products for suspicious ingredients, and then hitting it with the moisture treatments already suggested. It may not be that, but it's worth a try! Good luck! :)

rhosyn_du
April 13th, 2011, 01:07 AM
My crunchy, dry ends tend to come from buildup, particularly proteins. I would suggest clarifying, checking your products for suspicious ingredients, and then hitting it with the moisture treatments already suggested. It may not be that, but it's worth a try! Good luck! :)

This! My go-to routine for ridding myself of crunchy ends is clarifying followed by an SMT and damp bunning, and then COing and damp bunning every other day until my hair has calmed from its post-clarifying frizz phase. Obviously, different things work for different people, but this is an example of a clarifying-then-moisturizing routine.

sycamoreboutiqu
April 13th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Yep, it always seems to follow that when my hair is feeling "icky" and I don't like it - buildup is the culprit. I don't even use styling products but something is building up - it could even just be the minerals in the water (this town has awful water).

A little bit if baking soda in shampoo usually cures the problem, repeat procedure if you have bad build up. Lots and lots of conditioner and maybe some oils afterwards and you will be a happy camper. Either way it can't hurt.

tiny_teesha
April 13th, 2011, 02:05 AM
The ONLY thing that worked for my crunchy stiff ends when i had long hair was:
cardamon (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26060)

alwayssmiling
April 13th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Me 2! Totally hold off that cut until you've tried clarifying, and deep treatments. Do you use coconut oil, or is their protein in your products? Is your hair tangly as well as crunchy?

LisaMonster
April 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Another clarifying advocate here!

I'm not sure what your current routine is, so I can't say what the buildup could be from, but when I first discovered the joys of jojoba oil, I went overboard, and when crunchy ends showed up, I oiled them even further, but it didn't help. I was all a panic, until I read a suggestion to clarify, which made no sense to me at the time, but it absolutely did the trick and now that is my first answer when my ends are feeling less than savory.

Let us know how it goes!

skyblue
April 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
coconut oil does that to my hair, clarify and SMT first before your reach for the scissors

Intotouch
April 13th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Tiny Teesha, when you say cardamon was a solution can you elaborate please? How did you use the seeds or is there a cardamon oil?

I agree with the people who found build up was causing this. And yes, coconut oil also leaves my ends a bit stuck together and dry feeling. Rapeseed oil is great for me though.

tiny_teesha
April 14th, 2011, 03:48 AM
"Cardamon" is a link with everything i did to use it.

olivelover
December 5th, 2013, 07:51 AM
I had finally reached waist and even slightly passed it, but then my hair had a weird split end and crunchy insanity break-out, so I had to do so really major SnD, which took me almost three days (it's not the only thing I've been doing:)), and eventually took off about an inch of length, but the splits are now mostly gone.
And I clarified with BS and then did a deep conditioning with my roommate's condish (first time. Using product in. Over half a year), and the ends seem to be settling down slowly and becoming decently soft again, but I now have a major hair panic thing: I think the crunchiness was mostly caused by coconut oil (upon researching the crunch related threads) and also by the dryness of thea ir because of the central heating, but I'm just scared to apply anything at all to my hair now, lest the crunchies return. Even to brush. And I hate the way commercial condish makes my hair feel - it becomes super slippery and totally straight and becomes something that's not me. :(

Sorry for the rant, hair distress attacking.

RachelRose
January 3rd, 2015, 09:50 PM
I second coconut oil causing crunchy ends in some people's hair (like mine ) also protein containing products . Be especially conscious of any marketed for damaged hair and read labels . I find mineral oil helps on damp hair and the ever popular loreal mega moisture ;)

Red'N'Curly
January 6th, 2015, 09:40 AM
I like adding a small amount of pure, raw Shea Butter to my ends while they are still damp.

Lysanto
September 21st, 2016, 12:48 AM
in my experience, brushing your hair with a boars bristles brush also helps with crunchy ends.