PDA

View Full Version : How often do you trim?

cleanbug
April 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I'm sure this has been covered TONS before but....how often do most of you trim? When I say trim, I mean 1/4 inch or less just to freshen the ends. I have had 2 of such trims in the last 1.5 years and am due any day again. I always panic when i see a split end or it feels rough on the ends. Just wondering if I should skip the trim and grow till goal length (waist) and then tidy up? Or stick with what I have been doing (approx every 5 months).
Thanks
Tami

Hotrox
April 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
After joining here i didn't trim for about 7 months (longest ever for me) but my hair is layered and the longest underneath layer seemed to grow really quickly and made my hair look scraggly :rolleyes:

S0, this year I am planning on trimming every 3 months to try and even out the layers and then I will go back to a grow out period with much less trimming.

I think its very personal decision and based on hair type and damage and an overall desire for length or health and the ultimate combination of both.

If you are happy with your ends then I don't think you have to cut 'just because' its time, but if they could benefit from a trim then go for it. I always think, really, what is a quarter of an inch in the overall scale of things, and it may just save you from a bigger trim further down the line.....

Anway, just my 2cents worth :D

gthlvrmx
April 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Im still new to all this, but for right now i say every 6 months so twice a year, 1/2 or less.
Basically whatever is split or damaged must go off.

vanillabones
April 12th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Whenever I need to trim ze mullet ;)

MissManda
April 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Right now, I trim once a month because I am working on getting rid of layers/ex-bangs/damage.

dragonette@1
April 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Once a month. I'm maintaining at just below brastrap, and trimming off lots of old damage and layers.

Maybe by next year, I'll be able to cut back on the trimming and GROW LONGER!:)

SheaLynne
April 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I'm also trimming monthly. I take 1/4 inch off, but I pretty consistently grow 3/4 inch each month, so I'm still gaining length, and steadily getting rid of old damaged ends and taper.

You just have to decide which way you prefer to go at it.

gogirlanime
April 12th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I trim 1/4 or 1/3 an inch every 2 months because I'm trying to get rid of split ends and color-damaged hair.

christine1989
April 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I trim wayyyy too often! For a while I was doing it 3 times a month! Luckily I still managed to break even growthwise. I'm so proud because I've managed to go a whole month trim free thanks in part to henna which has made my ends feel so smooth that I don't get the urge to trim.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 12th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I S&D'ed years before I even knew there was a name for it.... Maybe a real trim/cut every 1- 1 1/2 years, and the most recent was in August. Since I've stopped needing major chops due to coloring/bleaching/stripping ( D: ) I do a ton of S'ing and a little bit of D'ing. :)

EDIT: bad spelling

racrane
April 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM
I don't trim on a regular basis, just when it needs it. But it usually happens around twice a year. I'm growing out my bangs and layers, so more trims are needed down the line.

oceanborn33
April 13th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I've never trimmed my own hair but I want to try it. I've got tons of split ends and my hair is a little uneven at the ends so I want to fix it. Would there happen to be a guide for trimming your own hair around that someone could point me to?

Mesmerise
April 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'm sure this has been covered TONS before but....how often do most of you trim? When I say trim, I mean 1/4 inch or less just to freshen the ends. I have had 2 of such trims in the last 1.5 years and am due any day again. I always panic when i see a split end or it feels rough on the ends. Just wondering if I should skip the trim and grow till goal length (waist) and then tidy up? Or stick with what I have been doing (approx every 5 months).
Thanks
Tami

Personally, I've decided to cut about 1cm (bit less than 1/2")every three months off my ends until I reach waist, and then I'm going to trim more frequently until the hemline thickens before I head on to my next goal of hip.

I think 1/4 an inch off every few months will easily allow your hair to grow to your goal length without sacrificing too much length, and it will mean your ends stay nicer.

However, it's a personal decision!! I probably wouldn't trim as much if my ends were thicker and less straggly... I've gone over a year without a trim before with no ill effects! It really depends on how your hair feels and how happy you are with it. When you're not happy because your ends feel yucky, then a small trim can really help!

cleanbug
April 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I think it's time to have a little bigger trim. Maybe an inch or 1.5 inches. As much as I hate to loose length, my hair seems dry at the ends most of the time regardless if i CO, CWC, shampoo & condition, oil, clarify or use ACV rinse. I think it's just time to get rid of some dead ends.
For the last 1.5 years, only 2) 1/4 inch trims...must need a little more off.
Thanks everyone!
Tami

Cholera
April 14th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I trim whenever my ends feel especially rough. It tends to average probably once every 6 months or so.

jojo
April 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I was initially on a no trim year; huge mistake. My hair type is baby fine but thickish, however due to my hair type my hair spilts and breaks. It needs regular trim to help me retain the length, when I don't trim my hair breaks approx 1/4" a month, which then makes me feel I am growing very slow, when in reality my hair is growing the average 1/2".

My plan is to dust like _ <--- this amount monthly as all my splits develop on my very ends. I have just trimmed 1" off and my ends are nice once more. I also plan to trim 1/4" every 3-4 months depending on how my hair looks. If this means maintaining waist for another year, I am fine with that.

I prefer quality over quantity, for me having scraggly ends isn't an option.

|Xei
April 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I think I trim (by your definition) around two times a year. I would do a big trim once in awhile (1 inch or so) to take off scraggly ends, and to neaten up my hemline. My hair growth pattern often makes it look like one side of my hair is longer than the other.

embee
April 14th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I have not trimmed since 2005, just before I joined LHC. since I wear my hair up, the fairytale ends hemline is not a problem, in fact I find it an advantage..

IcarusBride
April 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I trim 1/2 inch every 3 months. It just seems to work well for me. If it doesn't seem to need it I'll stretch it out till the next month, but it always seems to feel that it really needs it.

Baileygirl
April 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I trim every 3 months about 1/2 inch