PDA

View Full Version : Layers and braids, sticking out

joyfulheart18
April 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I have layers and BSL hair. I want to grow it out to waist, and I love having my hair up in braids. Problem is, the layers ALWAYS stick out. I usually do a french braid. Any ideas? I want to grow out my layers but until then I'm stuck on what to do. If there are any other SIMPLE hairstyle ideas that would be better for layers, please tell me. :)

twopoints
April 12th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I have the same length and it's layered. I just tie the braid off right before the layers start sticking up so I leave a long tail and the braid is somewhat short. You can try a french twist or gibson tuck as that helps to hide the ends.

AnqeIicDemise
April 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have layers and BSL hair. I want to grow it out to waist, and I love having my hair up in braids. Problem is, the layers ALWAYS stick out. I usually do a french braid. Any ideas? I want to grow out my layers but until then I'm stuck on what to do. If there are any other SIMPLE hairstyle ideas that would be better for layers, please tell me. :)

Rock the imperfections.

I like to tie up my braids in buns. Once I have it loosely pinned, I pull little chunks out to make the plaits a little messier than usual. I do tuck in the really long parts back under so to protect them as much as I can.

It just gives the look a rather bohemian, beachy look. It is rather odd to see here in WA but people like it.

I guess because I invoke a warm, summery feeling for them? LOL

jil
April 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I agree that sometimes braids with fly-away layers look cute and relaxed. :)

However, I still wish my braids could stay polished looking at work. Somethings that have worked for me: oiling my hair before braiding it, using aloe gel to help flyaways lay flat, using smaller pieces in french, dutch and lace braids (suggestion from the link below) and keeping the braid tight so that the layers can't slip out.
Good luck!

Here is a link to another thread about braids and layers:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57512&highlight=braids+layers

Lostsoule77
April 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I tend to just braid kinda tightly and try to loosen or tighten it where the layers end. I try to get the layers to either finish in the underside or get them to stay in the weaving as far as possible so that only a little of it sticks out.

ravenreed
April 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I braid tightly when my hair is damp or I use some aloe vera gel. I also leave a long tassel. Since my braid is long, I actually like having a longer tassel because it looks balanced.